LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 24 dragonbat13 will become famous soon enoughdragonbat13 will become famous soon enoughdragonbat13 will become famous soon enoughdragonbat13 will become famous soon enoughdragonbat13 will become famous soon enoughdragonbat13 will become famous soon enough

Default Blow through cab wall in a truck for SQ install.

OK, For years I have been wanting to do a nice SQ install in my 2006 Tundra.

Problem is, as some may know, that there is about enough room for two thirds of an eight anywhere in the truck (except the console, not an option for me).

So I have been contimplating doing a cut into the back cab and front of the bed for a blow through. Although this is normally done for SPL applications I still want to install a fair amount of subwoofer rig into the truck if I do the wall cut.

Normally I wouldnt do this, but there is one hitch regarding the trucks value. It has 150K miles, and its a salvage title truck. So a hole in the cab and bed isnt really gonna change anything. Besides I really like the truck and plan on driving it till either it blows, or is around 225K. And then I am gonna maybe build a custom out of it. So the "messing up the truck with the blow through and cant sell it" really isnt a problem.

So what I want to know is, how bad are the pitfalls to doing this other than resale? Honestly. I am sure leaks can give fits every now and then. Bed space is somewhat lost, although I can live with that. Its no big deal. I would probably install a pair of 12" subs in vented enclosures. I also plan on leaving at least six inches between the outer edges of the bed and cab and the actuall holes.

BTW, even though this system is gonna steer towards SQ, I still want to put some SPL vibe into it. I know that a SQ system can do great with a single 10, but I still like to stir things up every now and then!

One last question regarding sealing between the two. Last time I saw this setup years ago they were using camper top gaskets that inflated between the two. Seemed like a good idea. Just how well does this work, and is there a better option?

As far as welding and fab skills, I could handle it. I got the tools and years of offshore oil field experience behind me.
dragonbat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 63 Pitmaster will become famous soon enoughPitmaster will become famous soon enoughPitmaster will become famous soon enoughPitmaster will become famous soon enoughPitmaster will become famous soon enoughPitmaster will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Blow through cab wall in a truck for SQ install.

Sounds like you have some big plans for this truck, and aren't going to sell it anytime soon anyway. Gitt'er donnne!

Thankfully those that know it all, can't do it all!
Pitmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012   #3

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 26 gckless will become famous soon enoughgckless will become famous soon enoughgckless will become famous soon enoughgckless will become famous soon enoughgckless will become famous soon enoughgckless will become famous soon enough

If you're going to do a blowthrough, go bigger!
gckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012   #4

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 36 bhammer will become famous soon enoughbhammer will become famous soon enoughbhammer will become famous soon enoughbhammer will become famous soon enoughbhammer will become famous soon enoughbhammer will become famous soon enough

Another thought for you... Why not build a box that fits in the bed and then build a surround (king of like a half camper that covers the window. You could remove the window. I did this 22 years ago with my 1980 Datsun pickup truck. I had two 15's in it.

I used marine plywood and glassed the outside wood a couple of times. I used the rubber seal from a camper for the cab to box seal and sandwiched a 3/8" plexiglass in betwwen two sheets of ply for my back window.

I'll have to see if mom has any of the old photos. That brings back some memories....
bhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012   #5

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 24 dragonbat13 will become famous soon enoughdragonbat13 will become famous soon enoughdragonbat13 will become famous soon enoughdragonbat13 will become famous soon enoughdragonbat13 will become famous soon enoughdragonbat13 will become famous soon enough

Right now I am considering a custom glass box to go under the back seat. I didnt know how far everything has evolved over the years.

But if it doesnt work out as I want, I still am going to do the blowthrough.

I can remember a toyota hilux that had four fifteens in the bed in a bandpass enclosure, it had two eight inch ports going into the cab, with three soundstream amps in between them. It was a cool install to say the least.
dragonbat13 is offline   Reply With Quote