SET SCREW SOLUTION!! - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2014   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 75 pastrol will become famous soon enoughpastrol will become famous soon enoughpastrol will become famous soon enoughpastrol will become famous soon enoughpastrol will become famous soon enoughpastrol will become famous soon enough

Default SET SCREW SOLUTION!!

So as most of us know, when connecting large gauge wires we basically have three options. Compression, Crimp and Set Screw.

Set screw accessories seem to be the most popular and most attractive, but the downfall seems to be that the screw just goes down into the Wire and spreads it apart reducing the surface area making solid contact.

So I have come up with a way to avoid this very cheaply and maintain an even more secure connection.

[IMG][/IMG]

Tools used.

[IMG][/IMG]

I flare the end to enable the Wire to enter without fraying.

[IMG][/IMG]

After the flare process.

[IMG][/IMG]

Pipe cutter in action. The length depends on the depth of the hole in the block or fuse holder.

[IMG][/IMG]

Flared and cut piece.

[IMG][/IMG]

Cut through with the side cutters. For smaller gauge, use a narrower piece.

[IMG][/IMG]

Inserted into Distribution block. As you can see, the set screw will press against the copper which in turn will cup and compress the wire securely.

[IMG][/IMG]

Top view, not seen after insertion.

Hope this was helpful to someone. I've have used this and continue to use it with much success.
pastrol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2014   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA super monkey!

Rep Power: 194 minbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to all

Default Re: SET SCREW SOLUTION!!

its a clever idea, but honestly, its a solution in search of a problem.

Unless you are on the hairy edge of Wire gauge size acceptance, its not that critical. if you need more Wire contact area and more current carrying capability, move up a wire size. its just alot of extra work and tools, too.

I have used crimp connectors before, the big spade style, then curved the blade so the set screw would push the spade against the block for good contact area. made no difference.

You can solder the end of the wire too, then the setscrew really bites into it.

Original post whore!
Bent Nail Brewery

2013 Fiesta, Stock Sync HU |AC LC2i | Phoenix Gold EQ215i | Soundstream SA120 -> ID CD1eMH | Phoenix Gold T500.2 -> ID X65 | JL 500/1 -> (2) 15" Pyle PL1590BL in IB
minbari is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2014   #3

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Chrysler

Rep Power: 90 litrekid will become famous soon enoughlitrekid will become famous soon enoughlitrekid will become famous soon enoughlitrekid will become famous soon enoughlitrekid will become famous soon enoughlitrekid will become famous soon enough

Great idea nonetheless. Definitely would secure the Wire better. I like the solder idea too.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
litrekid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014   #4
Upgrade Your Membership!

jtaudioacc

12V Company:
JT Audio & Accessories
Position:
Owner/Installer/Janitor

Rep Power: 108 jtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura about

or you could just use ferrules

jtaudioacc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2014   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 103 DonH will become famous soon enoughDonH will become famous soon enoughDonH will become famous soon enoughDonH will become famous soon enoughDonH will become famous soon enoughDonH will become famous soon enough

OR you could properly install the Wire and Tin the end of the exposed Wire so the set screw digs into that ish!

Rock Climbing
DonH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2014   #6
Upgrade Your Membership!

jtaudioacc

12V Company:
JT Audio & Accessories
Position:
Owner/Installer/Janitor

Rep Power: 108 jtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura about

also some amps, usually cheaper ones, have set screws that can be more problematic than others.

jtaudioacc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2014   #7

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
kustom kar audio
Position:
owner

Rep Power: 100 kustomkaraudio will become famous soon enoughkustomkaraudio will become famous soon enoughkustomkaraudio will become famous soon enoughkustomkaraudio will become famous soon enoughkustomkaraudio will become famous soon enoughkustomkaraudio will become famous soon enough

Talking Re: SET SCREW SOLUTION!!

Great idea. Thanks for sharing.

Builder of 2010 MECA World Champion MODEX class Gary Summers 2006 mercedes C-Class
kustomkaraudio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2014   #8

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 67 jnchantler will become famous soon enoughjnchantler will become famous soon enoughjnchantler will become famous soon enoughjnchantler will become famous soon enoughjnchantler will become famous soon enoughjnchantler will become famous soon enough

OP took kind of a beating on that one. It looks like a workable solution if your a plumber and already have the pipe cutter and flaring tool, but then again you'd also probably have MAP gas and solder.
jnchantler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2014   #9

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 75 pastrol will become famous soon enoughpastrol will become famous soon enoughpastrol will become famous soon enoughpastrol will become famous soon enoughpastrol will become famous soon enoughpastrol will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaudioacc View Post

Yes these would work but I am yet to see them for 4 or 0 gauge wire.
Old 09-16-2014   #10

DIYMA freshman

Thanks for your contributions Guys. I am personally against any kind of soldering. I crimp everything, from 22 gauge to 1/0 gauge, bare or insulated. I use these guys below to handle all my crimping needs.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-16-2014   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 96 Pitmaster will become famous soon enoughPitmaster will become famous soon enoughPitmaster will become famous soon enoughPitmaster will become famous soon enoughPitmaster will become famous soon enoughPitmaster will become famous soon enough

I like it.
From a DIY standpoint, very usable.

Thankfully those that know it all, can't do it all!
Pitmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2014   #12

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 85 Jesus Christ will become famous soon enoughJesus Christ will become famous soon enoughJesus Christ will become famous soon enoughJesus Christ will become famous soon enoughJesus Christ will become famous soon enoughJesus Christ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastrol View Post
Yes these would work but I am yet to see them for 4 or 0 gauge wire.
Insulated Ferrules - Wire Ferrule - UL Approved at Ferrules Direct - Largest Selection in the U.S.
Jesus Christ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2014   #13

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Christ View Post
Insulated Ferrules - Wire Ferrule - UL Approved at Ferrules Direct - Largest Selection in the U.S.
Couldn't get past shipping method! Need UPS or FEDEX account, total bullocks if you ask me. Definitely NOT worth it for my needs or for the needs of an average DIY'er who would use maybe 5 pieces of each size per install. I appreciate your attempt to shoot down my idea though, was a nice try!!
Old 09-17-2014   #14

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 87 Negolien is on a distinguished roadNegolien is on a distinguished roadNegolien is on a distinguished roadNegolien is on a distinguished roadNegolien is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaudioacc View Post

LOL yeah that's similar to what I use on all my wires.
Negolien is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2014   #15

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 85 Jesus Christ will become famous soon enoughJesus Christ will become famous soon enoughJesus Christ will become famous soon enoughJesus Christ will become famous soon enoughJesus Christ will become famous soon enoughJesus Christ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastrol View Post
Couldn't get past shipping method! Need UPS or FEDEX account, total bullocks if you ask me. Definitely NOT worth it for my needs or for the needs of an average DIY'er who would use maybe 5 pieces of each size per install. I appreciate your attempt to shoot down my idea though, was a nice try!!
I was just showing that they do make them for all sizes of cable. That place was just what showed up with a quick search, there are many places that carry them.
Jesus Christ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2014   #16
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
Simplicity in Sound

Rep Power: 118 JOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty interesting idea, thanks for sharing and for the pics!

2013 Mobile Electronics Magazine Top 12 Installer
MECP Advanced Installation Technician
www.1sixty8.com team member
JOey@simplicityinsound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2014   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 96 Alrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enough

Great Tip! I do have pipe cutters, and a 3/8 L type 2ft copper can be purchased for under $5.00 and many ring terminals can be made with a 2 ft pipe, with a drill a hammer and the pipe cutter.

I have a lot of aluminum pipes, I am sure that can be used instead of copper, after all, it will just press the Wire to make contact on the bottom of the dist block's hole.

Al

Pioneer Deh 80 Prs, JBL MS amps
Alrojoca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2014   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 72 seafish will become famous soon enoughseafish will become famous soon enoughseafish will become famous soon enoughseafish will become famous soon enoughseafish will become famous soon enoughseafish will become famous soon enoughseafish will become famous soon enoughseafish will become famous soon enough

I do like the OP's creative solution, it cleverly cleans up a small problem. That being said, I simply tin the ends of the wires that are going into the socket and then the set screw bites into that.
seafish is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2014   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 96 Alrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enough

Mmm I missed the purpose of the flaring Tube tool.

Expensive if you go to Hd or lowes, here is a cheap one that may last for at least 7 uses, they have another one for $25 that may be better

7 Piece Tube Flaring Kit

Al

Pioneer Deh 80 Prs, JBL MS amps
Alrojoca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2014   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Rep Power: 0 cajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond repute

copper is a fine metal to compress the strands and give a bit of protection from the set screw's threads, not to mention about the best coincidental conductor but the problem arises (to me, hypothetically) in the softness of that barrier in repeated screw downs.

the first time, perhaps, the half-round holds it's shape enough to be removed in more or less, original dimension but a second round of good snug fit so that you compress the strands, and you'll have a piece of copper folded up around the screw.

as a possible improvement, one could perhaps source a half-round piece of tool steel that would not allow the screw to bite, but make a true compression with the copper.

where one might get such a blank is the trick, I'm sure there are suppliers with the exact curve necessary for any gauge insert, were one to put time towards the finding out.
cajunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2014   #21

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 elprup will become famous soon enoughelprup will become famous soon enoughelprup will become famous soon enoughelprup will become famous soon enoughelprup will become famous soon enoughelprup will become famous soon enough

The source for that would be a brake line.

...and to dig at the OP, I would've double flared the one end myself.

edit:...or fuel line.

Last edited by elprup; 09-18-2014 at 10:49 AM..
elprup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2014   #22

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 89 EriCCirE will become famous soon enoughEriCCirE will become famous soon enoughEriCCirE will become famous soon enoughEriCCirE will become famous soon enoughEriCCirE will become famous soon enoughEriCCirE will become famous soon enough

Oh your baby crimpers are so cute... Here's my weapon of choice:
EriCCirE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2014   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 85 sirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura about

We're supposed to screw down those "set screws"? I thought they were a voltage vent! Sheeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiitttt.

2016 Ford Mustang GT Performance Package
Steeda Ultralite/Pro-Action Suspension | Solo Performance Exhaust
sirbOOm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2014   #24

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbOOm View Post
We're supposed to screw down those "set screws"? I thought they were a voltage vent! Sheeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiitttt.
I don't understand your contribution!
Old 10-09-2014   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 85 sirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura about

Oy... just a joke. Nice idea, friend.

2016 Ford Mustang GT Performance Package
Steeda Ultralite/Pro-Action Suspension | Solo Performance Exhaust
sirbOOm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement