LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2010   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 63 cobraa will become famous soon enoughcobraa will become famous soon enoughcobraa will become famous soon enoughcobraa will become famous soon enoughcobraa will become famous soon enoughcobraa will become famous soon enough

Default Do you put Sound deadener inside Fiberglass Sub box?

I have a roll of sound deadener( Fatmat 80mils) and was wondering if I should put 1 layer inside my FG sub box or it wont do anything?

Thanks!
cobraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
Do work
Position:
M.E.C.P certified

Rep Power: 77 tinctorus will become famous soon enoughtinctorus will become famous soon enoughtinctorus will become famous soon enoughtinctorus will become famous soon enoughtinctorus will become famous soon enoughtinctorus will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to tinctorus

Default Re: Do you put Sound deadener inside Fiberglass Sub box?

I wouldnt I would fill it with resin to seal it up and if it is a sealed box possibly stuff it with polyfill, That is if you need the polyfill.

On my box I built for the corner of my srt I had to Build it a bit undersized in order to get it to fit how I wanted it to so I stuffed about 3 pounds of polyfill in there to make up for some of the space I needed

It wont "hurt" anything to fill it with deadener but I think you could make better use of it in other places
tinctorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010   #3

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
VW OEM retrofit
Position:
IT Technician / Installer

Rep Power: 96 glidn will become famous soon enoughglidn will become famous soon enoughglidn will become famous soon enoughglidn will become famous soon enoughglidn will become famous soon enoughglidn will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to glidn

I started sound deadening my sub boxes around 15 months ago. Now no longer need stuffing in box and also completely seals box, So two methods of making sure box is sealed.

I noticed my 8" sub play alot lower with sound deadened fibreglass box, than fibreglass box with SD. Just make sure SD has no reflective surface, If it does, Run a couple of pads of Dynazorb behind the sub driver.
glidn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010   #4

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 61 danielp will become famous soon enoughdanielp will become famous soon enoughdanielp will become famous soon enoughdanielp will become famous soon enoughdanielp will become famous soon enoughdanielp will become famous soon enough

If you used Resin to seal the box then there is no need to use the deadener.
Rather use it some where else.

I have seen SPL guys using deadener inside their enclosures but i doubt it makes that much of a difference. If the box is sealed with resin, how much more do you want to seal it?
danielp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010   #5

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
VW OEM retrofit
Position:
IT Technician / Installer

Rep Power: 96 glidn will become famous soon enoughglidn will become famous soon enoughglidn will become famous soon enoughglidn will become famous soon enoughglidn will become famous soon enoughglidn will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to glidn

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielp View Post
If you used Resin to seal the box then there is no need to use the deadener.
Rather use it some where else.

I have seen SPL guys using deadener inside their enclosures but i doubt it makes that much of a difference. If the box is sealed with resin, how much more do you want to seal it?
It's not so much as sealing the box, as it's killing or absorbing some of the rebound sound waves playing against the box back at the sub.
It's the main reason I do it. Again I have also found it seems to have a cleaner deeper sound. Which is all good.
glidn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010   #6

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 61 danielp will become famous soon enoughdanielp will become famous soon enoughdanielp will become famous soon enoughdanielp will become famous soon enoughdanielp will become famous soon enoughdanielp will become famous soon enough

I understand. Good bracing is Key then..
danielp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 137 GlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enough

Brace the box properly....if you need to use resin to seal the box you're using the wrong material.

And if you had to seal it up for some reason Titebond II or III would be vastly superior to a brittle, 2 part, toxic resin....on many levels.

///Alpine / Soundstream / Image Dynamics / MB Quart / Fountek

---Custom fabricated speaker baffles and templates---
GlasSman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010   #8

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
AutoDesign NYC
Position:
lead fabricator

Rep Power: 61 petermakar will become famous soon enoughpetermakar will become famous soon enoughpetermakar will become famous soon enoughpetermakar will become famous soon enoughpetermakar will become famous soon enoughpetermakar will become famous soon enough

not neccessary. but wouldnt hurt....
petermakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010   #9

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 72 fallbrookchris will become famous soon enoughfallbrookchris will become famous soon enoughfallbrookchris will become famous soon enoughfallbrookchris will become famous soon enoughfallbrookchris will become famous soon enoughfallbrookchris will become famous soon enough

I have never used SD mats in Speaker boxes but I have used sound absorbing mats in my HT speakers and subs, I have bought the good stuff from parts express and use carpenters backing (the grey with different color threads in it) as well

I generally seal my FG boxes with FB resin by pouring it in the finished box and moving the box around so it is completely coated, if I "feel" like I need it I then add some SA tiles (egg crate looking stuff) especially in subwoofer boxes, or another type of closed cell foam in boxes with diagonal walls to "catch" the back wave of from the Speaker and in other area's in the box as well, I can't really see any benefit to adding SD to the inside of a heavy, well built FG box that has solid strong thick walls, if the box doesn't sound solid when you give it the fist/tap test it isn't strong enough and you have to add a few more layers
fallbrookchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010   #10

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 65 don_chuwish will become famous soon enoughdon_chuwish will become famous soon enoughdon_chuwish will become famous soon enoughdon_chuwish will become famous soon enoughdon_chuwish will become famous soon enoughdon_chuwish will become famous soon enough

Anyone besides Whitledge tried this stuff? http://cascadeaudio.com/car_noise_control/vb_fd.htm

- D

2007 Toyota Prius pkg #2
Road Noise Abatement, Audio Upgrades
don_chuwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 863 fourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond repute

Anybody still use the "milkshake" technique of coating the box's insides? That's what I do. Part kitty-hair or short-stranded goo, part Resin. Mix it up, pour it in, and move the box around so all of it is coated.

2013 Ford Flex SEL AWD, JBL MS-8 processor, Vibe U.K. Slick Stereo 4 and Bass 1 amps, Exile Xtec subs in spare tire well enclosure, Dayton RS 225-4 midbass in doors, RS 75 mids and ND20FB tweets in custom A-pillars, Dayton RS 125-4 and ND20FB tweet in center, hand-made passive crossovers.
fourthmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 116 nineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthmeal View Post
Anybody still use the "milkshake" technique of coating the box's insides? That's what I do. Part kitty-hair or short-stranded goo, part Resin. Mix it up, pour it in, and move the box around so all of it is coated.
i understand the concept but i always thought it was a waste. for example we will say you are making a corner box. the only part that would possibly need "sealing" on the inside would be the seam, not the entire box, so why waste product? unless you laid the glass wrong (and that is a problem unto itself) there should be no possible chance of air escaping anywhere other than the seam. i like using a small amount of duraglass on the inside seam.

Freedom of speech includes the freedom to offend people. - Brad Thor
nineball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 863 fourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond repute

I think it is just to create a more solid layer, and fill in pin-holes.

I suck at FG though. Probably because I lack the patience needed for it.

2013 Ford Flex SEL AWD, JBL MS-8 processor, Vibe U.K. Slick Stereo 4 and Bass 1 amps, Exile Xtec subs in spare tire well enclosure, Dayton RS 225-4 midbass in doors, RS 75 mids and ND20FB tweets in custom A-pillars, Dayton RS 125-4 and ND20FB tweet in center, hand-made passive crossovers.
fourthmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 116 nineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the rough

if you have holes on the inside after laying 5-9 layers of glass on the outside you have bigger worries fg is easy but you do have to take your time.

Freedom of speech includes the freedom to offend people. - Brad Thor
nineball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010   #15

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 80 RBeachTL will become famous soon enoughRBeachTL will become famous soon enoughRBeachTL will become famous soon enoughRBeachTL will become famous soon enoughRBeachTL will become famous soon enoughRBeachTL will become famous soon enough

I used CLD on the inside of my fiberglass enclosure. The enclosure is covered with carpet but still had structural resonance. I would use the rap test and I could definitely hear the structure ring. When I added the CLD the enclosure is now pretty dead.
RBeachTL is offline   Reply With Quote