Alpine SWR-823D / 843D 8" Subwoofers - Page 10 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2011   #226
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Rep Power: 0 Fricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, just finished reading this entire thread and there isn't as much detailed info about using these for midbass drivers as I hoped for.

I want some 843Ds in a pair of kicks for my GMC Sierra crew, hopefully I'll be able to get em big enough to net the recommended .25 cubes for sealed enclosures. I plan on running them of an MB Quart ONYX 4.125, wirin them at 2 ohms so they'll get 250 watts rms/each. I have a set of Phoenix Gold Ti comps in the doors now and I'd like to run them only down to the 250-400 hz range.
Questions:
How much do these speakers displace? Would running them as midbass change the enclosure requirements? I plan on running them down to either 63 or 80 hz, what would you recommend I run them up to while still maintaining clean out put down near the 60-80 hz range.

PS, I like things loud, real loud on occasion, but SQ is top priority.
Fricasseekid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2011   #227
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 120 manish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to manish

Default Re: Alpine SWR-823D / 843D 8" Subwoofers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricasseekid View Post
Ok, just finished reading this entire thread and there isn't as much detailed info about using these for midbass drivers as I hoped for.

I want some 843Ds in a pair of kicks for my GMC Sierra crew, hopefully I'll be able to get em big enough to net the recommended .25 cubes for sealed enclosures. I plan on running them of an MB Quart ONYX 4.125, wirin them at 2 ohms so they'll get 250 watts rms/each. I have a set of Phoenix Gold Ti comps in the doors now and I'd like to run them only down to the 250-400 hz range.
Questions:
How much do these speakers displace? Would running them as midbass change the enclosure requirements? I plan on running them down to either 63 or 80 hz, what would you recommend I run them up to while still maintaining clean out put down near the 60-80 hz range.

Same here. With my fullrange capable of going down to 250hz, I should be good with a pair of these. Now I gotta get more money up for a Hertz amp to push these.

Melodic Acoustic Intimid8r and Faital Pro 3FE22,dayton amtpod-4, 1 SS TN1.1200D, will be looking for 1 SS Synthesis dsp, JBL W12GTIMKII
manish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2011   #228
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Rep Power: 0 Fricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Questions:

Jim Walters I still around answering questions on this thread right?

Old 05-29-2011   #229
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 159 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Jim Walters I still around answering questions on this thread right?
Yes, however I do know that his job/schedule takes him all over the world so he doesnt always have the time to chime, add to that the holiday weekend?

I thought the magazine article that spoke of the camaro discussed the use of the 8s as midbass drivers? I thought it said 300hz but I may have it confused with something else..... I also thought it said that they went down to 60 or 50 with a 15" taking over from there.....again I could be confused with something else?
rexroadj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2011   #230

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Rep Power: 94 jim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexroadj View Post
Yes, however I do know that his job/schedule takes him all over the world so he doesnt always have the time to chime, add to that the holiday weekend?

I thought the magazine article that spoke of the camaro discussed the use of the 8s as midbass drivers? I thought it said 300hz but I may have it confused with something else..... I also thought it said that they went down to 60 or 50 with a 15" taking over from there.....again I could be confused with something else?
I'm around, down in Mexico actually for some RnR for the long weekend.

Anyhow, we run the 8s up to 250Hz I believe. Very detailed and powerful with great control. They could go a bit higher, but with the 5.25" mids there is no need. You are right that the enclosure requirement for a midbass can be smaller, we are in the

if you do this. it'll help you. some sunny day ...
jim walter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2011   #231
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 159 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim walter View Post

Anyhow, we run the 8s up to 250Hz I believe. Very detailed and powerful with great control. They could go a bit higher, but with the 5.25" mids there is no need. You are right that the enclosure requirement for a midbass can be smaller, we are in the
Thank you good sir! Enjoy the R&R!!!!
Old 05-29-2011   #232
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Quote:

in the...? Lol

So it can be smaller but does that mean that the 1/4 cube would be too large an enclosure for a midbass application?

Does the setup I described a few threads back sound reasonable? What would you recommend?

Thanks again for all this great info Jim. I feel very privileged to have such a valuble resource for knowledge right here at my fingertips.
Old 05-29-2011   #233
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

@Rex.
Input from you is valued too since you have so much experience with 8s. I hate to make the man work on his vacay.

@Jim Walter
Get off the computer and go drink a margarita for me Jim!
Old 05-29-2011   #234
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Quote:
@Rex.
Input from you is valued too since you have so much experience with 8s. I hate to make the man work on his vacay.
I appreciate the vote of confidence! However I have not used these puppies in any sort of fashion to have a thought on the midbass capabilities (low freq. ported box)..... NOTHING would surprise me though! I would assume a 1/4 cube would be fine for your needs and everything else in your setup (imo) is great!
No offense Jim....I dont feel bad for ya! You get to live out a dream that most of us would kill for (working at a high level in our favorite hobby) although I am sure the glammour disapears rather quick?
I still hope you have a great vacation though
Old 05-29-2011   #235

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Rep Power: 94 jim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Woah, tapatalk error.

That was a long winded reply explaining the demo car, and it's twin (system wise) we are building right now.

Cliffs:

Old 05-29-2011   #236

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

And the cliffs don't even show up, LOL...that is the forum telling me to heed your advice and bail out for the rest of the weekend!

Old 05-29-2011   #237

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

To answer the question before I bail. .15-.2 is fine down to 50Hz, no problem same as the demo car

Old 05-29-2011   #238
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Stay thirsty my friend
Old 05-29-2011   #239
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Quote:
To answer the question before I bail. .15-.2 is fine down to 50Hz, no problem same as the demo car
Thanks a bunch! Have fun!
Old 05-29-2011   #240

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 79 Jsracing will become famous soon enoughJsracing will become famous soon enoughJsracing will become famous soon enoughJsracing will become famous soon enoughJsracing will become famous soon enoughJsracing will become famous soon enough

I have a 0.33cf sealed gross volume box with an Infinity Ref860w right now. I like the box size but would like a bit more extension and better SQ at higher volumes. Can you provide opinions on the following setups? Available power is 180w into 4 ohms or 300w into 2 ohms.

1x 843d at 300w in 0.33cf sealed (direct drop in replacement...would it be an improvement?)

1x 843d at 300w in 0.5cf ported

2x 823d at 300w (150w per) in 0.55cf sealed

Thanks
Jsracing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2011   #241
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsracing View Post
I have a 0.33cf sealed gross volume box with an Infinity Ref860w right now. I like the box size but would like a bit more extension and better SQ at higher volumes. Can you provide opinions on the following setups? Available power is 180w into 4 ohms or 300w into 2 ohms.

1x 843d at 300w in 0.33cf sealed (direct drop in replacement...would it be an improvement?)

1x 843d at 300w in 0.5cf ported

2x 823d at 300w (150w per) in 0.55cf sealed

Thanks
As a dedicated sub for low end duty's in a vehicle I would say one ported with the 300 or so would yeild a little more output......although I have always been a "total cone area" guy?
Have to see if Jim can chime in on that one?
Old 05-30-2011   #242

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 108 91dime will become famous soon enough91dime will become famous soon enough91dime will become famous soon enough91dime will become famous soon enough91dime will become famous soon enough91dime will become famous soon enough

Ready for vinyl! Currently wrapping it as I type this lol.

96 S10 3 way active 13 Golf R
91 s10 4 way active 11 Gti autobahn
91dime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2011   #243

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 108 91dime will become famous soon enough91dime will become famous soon enough91dime will become famous soon enough91dime will become famous soon enough91dime will become famous soon enough91dime will become famous soon enough

A few more boxes and I'll get the vinyl thing figured out. I can't wait to hear it!

Old 05-30-2011   #244
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Not bad at all! Cant wait to hear what you think?
Old 05-30-2011   #245

DIYMA Novice

I got it in and had to go so I haven't had a chance to dial it in. Frow what I did hear I was very impressed! Very tight and responsive. I'm researching ways to set the gains. I've always done it by ear, but I dont feel comfortable doing that with this gear.

Old 05-30-2011   #246

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Transfer Function will become famous soon enoughTransfer Function will become famous soon enoughTransfer Function will become famous soon enoughTransfer Function will become famous soon enoughTransfer Function will become famous soon enoughTransfer Function will become famous soon enough

I just ordered a pair of the dual 2-Ohm versions of these Type-Rs and can't wait to see/hear/feel (and hopefully not smell) what all the hype is about with these little monsters. My JBL GTO804s don't seem to like too much power from my XD600/1 so these Type-Rs should be a good replacement (the Polk MM840s were tempting). Time to make some measurements and cut some wood.
Transfer Function is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2011   #247
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Hey Jim..... I know your on Vacation but when you get a free chance can you let me know if you think a 4" round port would be good or would two 2" ports be better? I am not going to go slot ported again since my last mathmatical error (what an idiot!!!!!!!!!) I have never had an issue with round ports in the past specifically 4"? I can go 2,3,6, what ever....
Thanks!
Old 05-30-2011   #248
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

To add, Its going to be 1.4 total for the two 8s and will be tuned at 34hz (sound good?) My box now is more like 28 or maybe lower.....
Old 05-30-2011   #249
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 280 subwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hey Jim..... I know your on Vacation but when you get a free chance can you let me know if you think a 4" round port would be good or would two 2" ports be better? I am not going to go slot ported again since my last mathmatical error (what an idiot!!!!!!!!!) I have never had an issue with round ports in the past specifically 4"? I can go 2,3,6, what ever....
Thanks!
If I'm not mistaken, 1x4"=4x2" of port area

Kelvin

Lycan
Quote:
I'll repeat it for the miliionth time : All amps do NOT sound the same ... It's astonishing to me that nobody understands this
Who knows, some might understand now
and here's another one and another <-- click on the links
subwoofery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2011   #250
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 133 Brian Steele will become famous soon enoughBrian Steele will become famous soon enoughBrian Steele will become famous soon enoughBrian Steele will become famous soon enoughBrian Steele will become famous soon enoughBrian Steele will become famous soon enough

Quote:
To add, Its going to be 1.4 total for the two 8s and will be tuned at 34hz (sound good?) My box now is more like 28 or maybe lower.....
Just make sure and design the box so you can retune it if necessary.

Round vent - retune by removing the tube and cutting it to suit.

Slot vent - make part of the internal panel removable. Trim to suit.

Brian Steele
www.diysubwoofers.org
Brian Steele is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement