Alpine SWR-823D / 843D 8" Subwoofers - Page 12 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2011   #276

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Rep Power: 92 jim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish View Post
Jim how Power did you guys put on the pair in the camaro being used as midbass drivers? I'm asking cause I'm ready to get a pair and trying figure out which Hertz amp to get. The hp2 puts out 700×2 @ 2 ohms rms vs a ep4 which is 340×2 bridged rms @ 4 ohms. See my problem, I need to figure out which amp so I can order either the 4 or 2 ohm.
We used the sub channels of the MRX-V60. Rated at 300RMS actually doing a tad over 400. That EP4 looks to be a nice match here.

We just did another set in a Tacoma off of a bridged PDX-F6, again at a bit over 400RMSx2 and it sounds awesome.

if you do this. it'll help you. some sunny day ...
jim walter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2011   #277

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Problemhouston will become famous soon enoughProblemhouston will become famous soon enoughProblemhouston will become famous soon enoughProblemhouston will become famous soon enoughProblemhouston will become famous soon enoughProblemhouston will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Alpine SWR-823D / 843D 8" Subwoofers

I got my second sub yesterday and am finishing up the enclosure. I read through the thread and got myself all confused so I am going to ask again.

Jim, two questions...

What is the optimal cubic feet for a pair (sharing the same airspace) ported?

Port diam. and length?

I am looking for decent SQ and I want it to play low and pretty loud. That's not too much to ask of 8's is it?
Problemhouston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2011   #278
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 118 manish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to manish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim walter View Post
We used the sub channels of the MRX-V60. Rated at 300RMS actually doing a tad over 400. That EP4 looks to be a nice match here.

We just did another set in a Tacoma off of a bridged PDX-F6, again at a bit over 400RMSx2 and it sounds awesome.
See Jim that's just it. I want unbridled Power reserves for my midbass but if your telling me that 340 Watts is enough then ok. But it the laws of dimenishing returns don't apply here then I'm going to go and find a hp2!

Melodic Acoustic Intimid8r and Faital Pro 3FE22,dayton amtpod-4, 1 SS TN1.1200D, will be looking for 1 SS Synthesis dsp, JBL W12GTIMKII
manish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011   #279
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 157 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

Now that it has been cleared up that IB use is ok.....How bad would it be to attempt direct to custom doors (I have had eights in there before without issue, but not as "robust" as these?) They are about as heavy, deadend, and "sealed up" as possible. Of course I am asking this right after I got my Brax mids?
Had the f#1 mids in the doors prior so a little modding will be needed.....I still may go back to the F#1's as well though? Ya never know.....Its nice to know whats possible though?
Still lovin' my 8s by the way
rexroadj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2011   #280
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 164 WLDock will become famous soon enoughWLDock will become famous soon enoughWLDock will become famous soon enoughWLDock will become famous soon enoughWLDock will become famous soon enoughWLDock will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish View Post
See Jim that's just it. I want unbridled Power reserves for my midbass but if your telling me that 340 Watts is enough then ok. But it the laws of dimenishing returns don't apply here then I'm going to go and find a hp2!
600-800 watts just for midbass... plus 2 grand on four 12" subs. The Alpine Camaro is pushing 3200 watts total. You guys are heavy hitters!
WLDock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2011   #281

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Rep Power: 92 jim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLDock View Post
600-800 watts just for midbass... plus 2 grand on four 12" subs. The Alpine Camaro is pushing 3200 watts total. You guys are heavy hitters!
Gratuitous overkill is the bare minimum

We are putting together a new Tundra now with 3 F6 and 3 M12 PDXs. Best of all, its 100% stealth. Pics to come when its eventually done.

Old 06-16-2011   #282

Bikinpunk

Rep Power: 25977 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

Jim, I'm not going to derail this thread, but a lot of us are wondering if you can come in to the H800 thread and discuss the issues so many of us are having and the reason why I (and many others) are having to send theirs back to Alpine (of Asia). I'll leave this thread with that.

Thanks,
Erin

-- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
http://medleysmusings.com/

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2011   #283

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 145 Pb2theMax will become famous soon enoughPb2theMax will become famous soon enoughPb2theMax will become famous soon enoughPb2theMax will become famous soon enoughPb2theMax will become famous soon enoughPb2theMax will become famous soon enough

Thanks for all the great info on this sub. I just bought a 843D to put under the passenger seat of my E350 Ford van. I have a JL audio XD300/1 to Power it. I can fit a 5x14x16" enclosure under the seat. I know it'll be close on the depth, but I can shave out a little wood if I need to make room for the subs' motor.

Current ride: 2010 Ford E350 Party wagon
Previous ride: 2005 Toyota Tacoma
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/832238
Pb2theMax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2011   #284
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 158 trojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant future

Jim, any luck on a new owner's manual?
trojan fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2011   #285
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 158 trojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pb2theMax View Post
Thanks for all the great info on this sub. I just bought a 843D to put under the passenger seat of my E350 Ford van. I have a JL audio XD300/1 to Power it. I can fit a 5x14x16" enclosure under the seat. I know it'll be close on the depth, but I can shave out a little wood if I need to make room for the subs' motor.

That was a nice looking Tacoma you sold
trojan fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2011   #286

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Problemhouston will become famous soon enoughProblemhouston will become famous soon enoughProblemhouston will become famous soon enoughProblemhouston will become famous soon enoughProblemhouston will become famous soon enoughProblemhouston will become famous soon enough

Ok so now I have a pair of 823Ds and .70 cubic feet of airspace. Can I port this box or should I leave it sealed?
Problemhouston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2011   #287

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 75 Jericho941 will become famous soon enoughJericho941 will become famous soon enoughJericho941 will become famous soon enoughJericho941 will become famous soon enoughJericho941 will become famous soon enoughJericho941 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I just installed a 823 in my e350 work truck tonight. It's in a sealed, downfiring box with an internal volume around .5 cu ft (gross) and its being powered by a cheap Boss monoblock. The enclosure and amp are built inside a cheap plastic stanley toolbox and it sits between the two seats.

I was simply amazed at how good it sounded. I was using a VERY cheap sub that was more than 10 years old and it must have blown recently as the foam surround had a hole in it when I removed it (so that's why it only sounded medocre at low volume, and aweful if it had to performe at all)

After getting it back in I nearly went out in my truck for a joyride, but it was getting late and I can enjoy it more tomorrow. I was getting quite alot of clairity from the bass notes, and even in the sealed box it seemed to go quite deep. I can't wait to listen some more.
Jericho941 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2011   #288
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 146 JoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished road

Got 2 on the way that will be sealed downfiring myself, probably around .8ft gross or so.
JoeHemi57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2011   #289

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 145 Pb2theMax will become famous soon enoughPb2theMax will become famous soon enoughPb2theMax will become famous soon enoughPb2theMax will become famous soon enoughPb2theMax will become famous soon enoughPb2theMax will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho941 View Post
I just installed a 823 in my e350 work truck tonight. It's in a sealed, downfiring box with an internal volume around .5 cu ft (gross) and its being powered by a cheap Boss monoblock. The enclosure and amp are built inside a cheap plastic stanley toolbox and it sits between the two seats.

I was simply amazed at how good it sounded. I was using a VERY cheap sub that was more than 10 years old and it must have blown recently as the foam surround had a hole in it when I removed it (so that's why it only sounded medocre at low volume, and aweful if it had to performe at all)

After getting it back in I nearly went out in my truck for a joyride, but it was getting late and I can enjoy it more tomorrow. I was getting quite alot of clairity from the bass notes, and even in the sealed box it seemed to go quite deep. I can't wait to listen some more.
That's good to hear. I was thinking about doing 4 of these 8" subs in the rear of my van. I've got plenty of room. But Im kinda trying to restrain myself. I'll just try 1 sub first. We'll see how it does under the seat of this big ol van. Having the sub up front should help.

Old 06-21-2011   #290

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 75 Jericho941 will become famous soon enoughJericho941 will become famous soon enoughJericho941 will become famous soon enoughJericho941 will become famous soon enoughJericho941 will become famous soon enoughJericho941 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
That's good to hear. I was thinking about doing 4 of these 8" subs in the rear of my van. I've got plenty of room. But Im kinda trying to restrain myself. I'll just try 1 sub first. We'll see how it does under the seat of this big ol van. Having the sub up front should help.
Good luck! I hope you have as good results as I did. My truck is the kind with a utility truck rear, so my cabin space is very different from yours, though. I don't know how much differently that will play out for you.
Jericho941 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2011   #291

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojan fan View Post
Jim, any luck on a new owner's manual?
It alive!!!!

Sorry it took so long

Old 06-21-2011   #292

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 128 nepl29 will become famous soon enoughnepl29 will become famous soon enoughnepl29 will become famous soon enoughnepl29 will become famous soon enoughnepl29 will become famous soon enoughnepl29 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim walter View Post
It alive!!!!

Sorry it took so long
Looks like you forgot to answer Bikinpunk question.

2005 BMW 530i- Dynaudio Esotar2 110,430,650,1200s
Brax Matrix MX4s/Ixos/Straightwire
2000 Honda Prelude- Daily Driver..Stock for now.
nepl29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2011   #293

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

I talked to him.

Old 06-22-2011   #294

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 perfektj will become famous soon enoughperfektj will become famous soon enoughperfektj will become famous soon enoughperfektj will become famous soon enoughperfektj will become famous soon enoughperfektj will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to perfektj

Jim,
I have been debating for awhile between one 15" or two or three 8s. I know that the larger sub will play lower but do you think that I would gain impact and response with the 8s. Also I see on the site that the only 15 is the Gen 3 model. Is Alpine planing on making a Gen 4 15? Like so many I listen to a little bit of everything and want a system that can impact my chest, and also take my breath away when I want to. I know you are a busy man and appreciate your time.
Thank you,
John
perfektj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2011   #295

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 HANGEMHI will become famous soon enoughHANGEMHI will become famous soon enoughHANGEMHI will become famous soon enoughHANGEMHI will become famous soon enoughHANGEMHI will become famous soon enoughHANGEMHI will become famous soon enough

I'm in the same boat as perfektj. I have fairly large Car (g8), and wanting something that I can feel but still sound tight. I've always been partial to smaller subs, but still want it to crank when I want. Do you think 2 of these would be enough in that size Car or be better of going with a larger sub?
HANGEMHI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2011   #296
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 278 subwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfektj View Post
Jim,
I have been debating for awhile between one 15" or two or three 8s. I know that the larger sub will play lower but do you think that I would gain impact and response with the 8s. Also I see on the site that the only 15 is the Gen 3 model. Is Alpine planing on making a Gen 4 15? Like so many I listen to a little bit of everything and want a system that can impact my chest, and also take my breath away when I want to. I know you are a busy man and appreciate your time.
Thank you,
John
Get an 18" and use a PEQ to kill the 20Hz-30Hz range... You'll get the impact you're looking for.

Same difference if you use 6 x 8" and boost the 20Hz-30Hz by 10dBs, you won't have the impact you're looking for.

What I'm saying here is that impact is a tuning thing. First you need to work on planning your subwoofer's enclosure.

Kelvin

Lycan
Quote:
I'll repeat it for the miliionth time : All amps do NOT sound the same ... It's astonishing to me that nobody understands this
Who knows, some might understand now
and here's another one and another <-- click on the links
subwoofery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2011   #297

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 perfektj will become famous soon enoughperfektj will become famous soon enoughperfektj will become famous soon enoughperfektj will become famous soon enoughperfektj will become famous soon enoughperfektj will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to perfektj

Kelvin,
I absolutely agree with you about the enclosure affecting the overall sound and impact, as will the quality of the midbass. Tuning is a great thing if done right, but I feel driver selection has a great deal to do with overall impact. Some have it and some don't. I wanted to know in Jim's experience, which of the setups would be overall the most musical while still moving some air when needed. And to reiterate, I also wanted to know if there will be a Gen 4 15". His recommendation will help me decide the driver, and then I can work on the enclosure.
John
perfektj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2011   #298

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Transfer Function will become famous soon enoughTransfer Function will become famous soon enoughTransfer Function will become famous soon enoughTransfer Function will become famous soon enoughTransfer Function will become famous soon enoughTransfer Function will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cents View Post
Hi, please keep posting your result cause I have two 0.5 cubic foot sealed box . It's made from fibreglass and no room for port.

TQ.
69cents,

Are you trying to tell me that you also have a 0.50 cubic foot sealed box? If that's the case, it should be OK if you just place the box in a location that will help transfer the bass efficiently.

I chose to Build a sealed 0.35 cubic foot box (links are below) for my Alpines, it's smaller than the 0.40 cubic foot box that I was aiming for, but I had to make some adjustments and ended up with a smaller box. I've been listening to them for a couple of hours over the past few days and I really like the impact they produce. They don't play as deep as what I was hoping for but the impact more than makes up for it since most of the music that I really listen to don't have much deep bass. I like my current setup and don't plan on changing it anytime soon but it's nice to know that if I dropped them into a ported 1.4 cubic feet box, these drivers are capable of moving a respectable amount of air. The following are just a couple of pictures and plots of my Alpines:

Enclosure Photos:
Enclosure Panels | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Sealed Enclosure | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Loaded Enclosure | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Angled Enclosure | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Installed Enclosure | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Frequency Responses:
Frequency Response Plot | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Frequency Response Plot Differential | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Frequency Response Data | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

It should be noted that my measurements are not professional by any means and were conducted with consumer level instruments by a hobbyist.

Haha, posting direct links work for me now!
Transfer Function is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2011   #299

DIYMA Novice

I'm pretty happy with my SWR 843 so far. It can't take the place of a good 12" but it's impressive what it can do with .3 cu ft enclosure, under my passengers seat. It beats a JL audio 8W6 for sure. I really like the Build of the sub. Beefy spider. Nice terminals, and included jumpers. The rubber ring around the mounting holes makes a good seal. I also like the trim ring that hides the screw heads. I'll report back once the sub is broken-in.

JL audio XD 300/1 Amp barely fits. Its screwed to the back of the sub enclosure.

Last edited by Pb2theMax; 06-24-2011 at 05:56 AM..
Old 06-24-2011   #300

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfektj View Post
Kelvin,
I absolutely agree with you about the enclosure affecting the overall sound and impact, as will the quality of the midbass. Tuning is a great thing if done right, but I feel driver selection has a great deal to do with overall impact. Some have it and some don't. I wanted to know in Jim's experience, which of the setups would be overall the most musical while still moving some air when needed. And to reiterate, I also wanted to know if there will be a Gen 4 15". His recommendation will help me decide the driver, and then I can work on the enclosure.
John
The R8s are going to be more musical than the 15 for sure. As far as overall output, we've got a Mustang here with a 15" @ ~30Hz and I've got a 3x8" box @ 32Hz in my Jeep this past week. Comparing them, the 15 can get lower and louder, but the SQ is just not up to the level of the 8s, not even close.

They can still get very loud though. In comparison, a 12" in the same size ported box couldn't touch them .. and the 15" is in a box twice their size.

As far as future products, you know I can't comment on that but we can all look forward to an exciting CES this year

Sponsored Links
Advertisement