Alpine SWR-823D / 843D 8" Subwoofers - Page 13 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2011   #301

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Rep Power: 91 jim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Alpine SWR-823D / 843D 8" Subwoofers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pb2theMax View Post
I'm pretty happy with my SWR 843 so far. It can't take the place of a good 12" but it's impressive what it can do with .3 cu ft enclosure, under my passengers seat. It beats a JL audio 8W6 for sure. I really like the Build of the sub. Beefy spider. Nice terminals, and included jumpers. The rubber ring around the mounting holes makes a good seal. I also like the trim ring that hides the screw heads. I'll report back once the sub is broken-in.
Awesome! What kind of vehicle is that in?

Glad to hear you're liking it! I'd like to forward these photos around the office today to some of the guys here if you don't mind
Jim

if you do this. it'll help you. some sunny day ...
jim walter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2011   #302

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 145 Pb2theMax will become famous soon enoughPb2theMax will become famous soon enoughPb2theMax will become famous soon enoughPb2theMax will become famous soon enoughPb2theMax will become famous soon enoughPb2theMax will become famous soon enough

Sure. It's a 2010 Ford E350 van.

Current ride: 2010 Ford E350 Party wagon
Previous ride: 2005 Toyota Tacoma
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/832238

Last edited by Pb2theMax; 06-24-2011 at 01:51 PM..
Pb2theMax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2011   #303

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 124 RedMed427 is on a distinguished roadRedMed427 is on a distinguished roadRedMed427 is on a distinguished roadRedMed427 is on a distinguished roadRedMed427 is on a distinguished road

That's a damn nice van!
RedMed427 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011   #304
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 145 JoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished road

The anticipation is killing me, can't wait for mine to get here i may have to buy some Type R components while i'm waiting on my H Audio's to get here.
JoeHemi57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2011   #305
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Rep Power: 0 Fricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeHemi57 View Post
The anticipation is killing me, can't wait for mine to get here i may have to buy some Type R components while i'm waiting on my H Audio's to get here.
If you die can I have your Type-Rs?
Fricasseekid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2011   #306

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
ABC
Position:
Manager

Rep Power: 111 69cents will become famous soon enough69cents will become famous soon enough69cents will become famous soon enough69cents will become famous soon enough69cents will become famous soon enough69cents will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer Function View Post
69cents,

Are you trying to tell me that you also have a 0.50 cubic foot sealed box? If that's the case, it should be OK if you just place the box in a location that will help transfer the bass efficiently.

I chose to Build a sealed 0.35 cubic foot box (links are below) for my Alpines, it's smaller than the 0.40 cubic foot box that I was aiming for, but I had to make some adjustments and ended up with a smaller box. I've been listening to them for a couple of hours over the past few days and I really like the impact they produce. They don't play as deep as what I was hoping for but the impact more than makes up for it since most of the music that I really listen to don't have much deep bass. I like my current setup and don't plan on changing it anytime soon but it's nice to know that if I dropped them into a ported 1.4 cubic feet box, these drivers are capable of moving a respectable amount of air. The following are just a couple of pictures and plots of my Alpines:

Enclosure Photos:
Enclosure Panels | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Sealed Enclosure | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Loaded Enclosure | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Angled Enclosure | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Installed Enclosure | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Frequency Responses:
Frequency Response Plot | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Frequency Response Plot Differential | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Frequency Response Data | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

It should be noted that my measurements are not professional by any means and were conducted with consumer level instruments by a hobbyist.

Haha, posting direct links work for me now!
Yes, I already have a sealed 0.5 cubic foot box made 80% from fiber glass, at it in a odd shape as it taking the shape of the side panel in the trunk. It used to hold RF punch 8inch. I really hope the alpine can fit my box (mounting depth wise) I try to post some pictures if I have time. Anyway thx for your reply.
69cents is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2011   #307

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 perfektj will become famous soon enoughperfektj will become famous soon enoughperfektj will become famous soon enoughperfektj will become famous soon enoughperfektj will become famous soon enoughperfektj will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to perfektj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim walter View Post
The R8s are going to be more musical than the 15 for sure. As far as overall output, we've got a Mustang here with a 15" @ ~30Hz and I've got a 3x8" box @ 32Hz in my Jeep this past week. Comparing them, the 15 can get lower and louder, but the SQ is just not up to the level of the 8s, not even close.

They can still get very loud though. In comparison, a 12" in the same size ported box couldn't touch them .. and the 15" is in a box twice their size.

As far as future products, you know I can't comment on that but we can all look forward to an exciting CES this year
Jim,

What size box are the 8's in?
Thanks
perfektj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2011   #308

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 119 subiemax will become famous soon enoughsubiemax will become famous soon enoughsubiemax will become famous soon enoughsubiemax will become famous soon enoughsubiemax will become famous soon enoughsubiemax will become famous soon enough

So, like many before me, I am looking for great bass. Lol. My favorite sub I've used so far is the DIYMA 12. Loved it, just did not have quite enough output, as I would drive it too hard. So, my next install I decided to use 2 of them. Well I got one that was DOA and that put me off of them. So now I run 2 dayton audio HO12s sealed and the output is there, but the SQ is not quite what I want. Im pretty sure an Ultimo 12 would fit what I want nicely, but I just can't see spending that kind of money.
My question is for anyone that might have heard both the DIYMA and these 8s and how they might compare on SQ and output. I could run 2 ported or 3 or 4 sealedto get the output I need. I have 2000 watts at my disposal.
subiemax is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2011   #309

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 96 huckorris will become famous soon enoughhuckorris will become famous soon enoughhuckorris will become famous soon enoughhuckorris will become famous soon enoughhuckorris will become famous soon enoughhuckorris will become famous soon enough

Convertibles do not benefit from cabin gain, which is a huge deal imo. I imagine one of those 8's would be fine in a closed cabin but with a convertible I doubt it will be much bass.

Also hifonics are notoriously unreliable and overrated on power.

1995 Honda Odyssey --- Alpine 7854 ---> RF P400-4 ---> Pioneer PRS 720 & Pioneer 10" TS-W252R (120rms lol) in .8 sealed.
huckorris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2011   #310

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 76 Jsracing will become famous soon enoughJsracing will become famous soon enoughJsracing will become famous soon enoughJsracing will become famous soon enoughJsracing will become famous soon enoughJsracing will become famous soon enough

Jim (or anyone else with experience):

I'm going to pick up a SWR-843D very soon and have the option of a 0.33cf or 0.43cf box. I've read the manual for the 843D that says 0.3cf is nominal.
Which would be a better match for the 843D: 0.33cf or 0.43cf?

I'm going to be purchasing the sub and enclosure very soon.

Thanks!
Jsracing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2011   #311
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 145 JoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsracing View Post
Jim (or anyone else with experience):

I'm going to pick up a SWR-843D very soon and have the option of a 0.33cf or 0.43cf box. I've read the manual for the 843D that says 0.3cf is nominal.
Which would be a better match for the 843D: 0.33cf or 0.43cf?

I'm going to be purchasing the sub and enclosure very soon.

Thanks!
If you are on the higher end of the rms Power scale i would go with the smaller box, if you are on the lower end of watts get the bigger one.
JoeHemi57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2011   #312

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 76 Jsracing will become famous soon enoughJsracing will become famous soon enoughJsracing will become famous soon enoughJsracing will become famous soon enoughJsracing will become famous soon enoughJsracing will become famous soon enough

At 2ohms, I'll have right around 350Wrms.

My current 8" (Infinity Ref860w) is in a 0.33cf box that I'll be selling to my friend. It has good bass down to about 40Hz, but would like a bit more lower extension (as close to 30Hz as possible with a sealed enclosure). Would the 0.43cf provide that extra extension? Would I lose too much impact by going that large?
Oh, the volumes are gross volumes.

Hoping Jim sees this first thing Monday morning as I'll be purchasing in the evening.
Old 07-10-2011   #313

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Rep Power: 91 jim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enough

I'd go with the bigger one, as you'll get some flexibility to add in some filler to tailor the amount of extension vs. punch you want. Stuff the box with a good 6-8oz of polyfill and tweak with it from there.

Old 07-10-2011   #314

DIYMA Novice

Thanks Jim! Wow you work sunday nights? Thats dedication.
So I'll pick up the 0.43cf box.
BTW, I work in torrance too. Would love to meet you sometime.
Old 07-11-2011   #315

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 111 SiR_Dave will become famous soon enoughSiR_Dave will become famous soon enoughSiR_Dave will become famous soon enoughSiR_Dave will become famous soon enoughSiR_Dave will become famous soon enoughSiR_Dave will become famous soon enough

Great stuff in this thread

~2009 Honda Civic Si SuperCharged~
Alpine SWR-1023D x2-Pioneer Premier TS-C720PRS
Rockford Fosgate POWER-1000 "25 to Life"-Alpine PXA-H701
SiR_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2011   #316
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 188 Patrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nice

Jim,

I've put together a tapped horn design for your woofer. Here's some sims of it:

The design is based off of one that the folks at AVS forum have been building. It's well documented, with a Google Sketchup layout and real-world measurements. All I did was mod it so that it would work with your woofer.

The advantage of your woofer is more output, the woofer is ubiquitous, and it's a better match for Car audio amps than the woofer at AVS forum.

The advantage of a tapped horn over a vented box is more output, and reduced group delay. A tapped horn basically has better dynamis than a vented box, but doesn't suffer from the group delay that makes vented boxes sound "slow."

Enjoy!

Audio Psychosis • View topic - Cheap and Different Sub

In principle it would be quite simple to waste the surplus labour of the world by building temples and pyramids, by digging holes and filling them up again, or even by producing vast quantities of goods and then setting fire to them. (Orwell)
Patrick Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2011   #317
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

12V Company:
Ground Zero USA

Rep Power: 252 Scott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice Patrick. Have you made one already?
Scott@GZUSA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2011   #318
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 188 Patrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatsDownLow View Post
Very nice Patrick. Have you made one already?
No, but I'm considering it highly.

I'm not very good at making "elegant" boxes. Most of the boxes that I've designed are hideously complex. I've made boxes that took a month to Build because there were so many parts, and I nearly took off my right thumb building one once.

Many of my most successful boxes were straight-up clones, like my TH-Mini clone.

This box looks pretty awesome I think, and I *already* have a half-built tapped horn with dual eights, but Mike's box is a heck of a lot easier to build.

Another nice thing about Mike's box is that half a dozen people on AVS forum have already built it, so there's a good chance that you won't run into any surprises if you do it yourself.

The down-side to Mike's box is distortion - you can see in the graphs that he posted. The 2nd harmonic is just twelve dB down at 90hz:

Having said that, Mike is using a very nice woofer. You can only imagine how awful the distortion situation is if you were using a sealed box with a conventional woofer. This is why nearly no one publishes distortion curves for subwoofers - they're horrendous.

This is also why it sounds like the bass is 'coming from the back' with Car subs. When you move the subs up front you're not making the distortion go away, you're just masking it because the midbasses cover it up. (IE, the distortion is still there, but now it's up front and it's not coming from the back, so it sounds like the bass is up front. The problem isn't the bass - it's the distortion produced by the subwoofer.)

In principle it would be quite simple to waste the surplus labour of the world by building temples and pyramids, by digging holes and filling them up again, or even by producing vast quantities of goods and then setting fire to them. (Orwell)
Patrick Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2011   #319

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

I'll try it ... I asked one of the guys here to Build one for me.

Probably a week or so out, as I think he's tied up right now, but we'll try it out and let you know how it works.

Old 07-14-2011   #320

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 110 onebadmonte will become famous soon enoughonebadmonte will become famous soon enoughonebadmonte will become famous soon enoughonebadmonte will become famous soon enoughonebadmonte will become famous soon enoughonebadmonte will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I'll try it ... I asked one of the guys here to Build one for me.

Probably a week or so out, as I think he's tied up right now, but we'll try it out and let you know how it works.
In for results. Very interesting design.

1995 Olds Cutlass Cierra |Sony HU |JBL MS8 |PowerBass 3.5" Coax |Peerless OEM M&K 8" MB |1 15" DSS Ethos
Team Sub| US Acoustics 2150 | Orion XTR 3700.1
onebadmonte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2011   #321

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Problemhouston will become famous soon enoughProblemhouston will become famous soon enoughProblemhouston will become famous soon enoughProblemhouston will become famous soon enoughProblemhouston will become famous soon enoughProblemhouston will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
This is also why it sounds like the bass is 'coming from the back' with Car subs. When you move the subs up front you're not making the distortion go away, you're just masking it because the midbasses cover it up. (IE, the distortion is still there, but now it's up front and it's not coming from the back, so it sounds like the bass is up front. The problem isn't the bass - it's the distortion produced by the subwoofer.)

[/font]
This must be what I am experiencing in my truck.
Problemhouston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2011   #322
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 87 mires has a spectacular aura aboutmires has a spectacular aura aboutmires has a spectacular aura aboutmires has a spectacular aura aboutmires has a spectacular aura aboutmires has a spectacular aura aboutmires has a spectacular aura aboutmires has a spectacular aura aboutmires has a spectacular aura aboutmires has a spectacular aura about

So I'm thinking of doing 2 of these in 1.4 cubic ft. @ 37-38 hz. The problem is I only have 120 watts available for each. Should I even bother hooking them up with such little Power or should I wait until I can afford more power?

Alpine 7949 - Morel Integra Ovation XO6 - Alpine MRV-F303 - Alpine MRV-F407 - (2) Boston Acoustics Pro 8.5LF
mires is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2011   #323

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by mires View Post
So I'm thinking of doing 2 of these in 1.4 cubic ft. @ 37-38 hz. The problem is I only have 120 watts available for each. Should I even bother hooking them up with such little Power or should I wait until I can afford more power?
You'll be fine with that power. I ran a pair ported in a very similar box with an 150w each and was able to get sone pretty surprising output. These 8s are actually more efficient than the 10s, so they'll do quite well with minimal power.

Old 07-24-2011   #324
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 87 mires has a spectacular aura aboutmires has a spectacular aura aboutmires has a spectacular aura aboutmires has a spectacular aura aboutmires has a spectacular aura aboutmires has a spectacular aura aboutmires has a spectacular aura aboutmires has a spectacular aura aboutmires has a spectacular aura aboutmires has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
You'll be fine with that power. I ran a pair ported in a very similar box with an 150w each and was able to get sone pretty surprising output. These 8s are actually more efficient than the 10s, so they'll do quite well with minimal power.
Excellent to hear. I only have the option to do a round port in this setup. The box has an internal length of 22'' though. Can you recommend a port size for me? I'm not very savvy when it comes to port diameter and how it affects things.

Alpine 7949 - Morel Integra Ovation XO6 - Alpine MRV-F303 - Alpine MRV-F407 - (2) Boston Acoustics Pro 8.5LF
mires is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2011   #325

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Compressionfed will become famous soon enoughCompressionfed will become famous soon enoughCompressionfed will become famous soon enoughCompressionfed will become famous soon enoughCompressionfed will become famous soon enoughCompressionfed will become famous soon enough

Just received my 8''s (3). Haven't had a chance to play with them yet but they look well designed. I'm "making a comeback" after being out of Car audio for almost 15 years. There sure wasn't anything like this 8'' back in the day. I guess the JL micro boxes would have been the option then?

Jim, I will be installing these in an E46 325 sedan in an enclosure suspended right under the rear deck, subs facing down.

1> I would like to keep the box as shallow as possible (6-7''), 36'' long, 14'' deep. Thats right under 2ft^3...will this work?

2> Could you give me an idea of port size/length (probably round as there doesn't seem to be much room for slotted) 350watts each, mostly R&B, Rock, some rap.

3> Really looking for some SQ that can play some lower notes.

Thanks for the help and congrats on some BAD-ASS products!
Compressionfed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement