Alpine SWR-823D / 843D 8" Subwoofers - Page 15 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2011   #351
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 155 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: Alpine SWR-823D / 843D 8" Subwoofers

Quote:
Originally Posted by subwoofery View Post
Don't think you'll see many if any door mounted subwoofers.
Most hard core DIYers have a hard time getting rid of rattles with 8" midbasses... so a subwoofer IB in the door?

Try to search for an install with 8" Phase Linear Aliante
It's the only install I know that uses a subwoofer in the door HOWEVER they are not IB but sealed...

Kelvin
X2! I had been asking about this same thing but the state my doors were in (prior to melt down) made them very capable for this setup..... I was actually in the process of building sealed pods for them to slide into the door from the outside of the door panel (about 7"s deep and 9"s around) and was then going to add a set of eton 3" drivers with some scan tweets
Now I am looking at a restored jeep renegade and am trying to figure out how to implement them in kicks and still go three way or kicks as sub enclosures? I dont know....having a hard time shopping for a new vehicle?
Restored international scout, jeep renegade (80s) or restored dodge ramcharger?????? The charger offers the best audio solution, jeep offers the most fun, and the scout offers the coolest cool factor? Hard to believe my truck can melt to the ground, ruin my center console enclosure, but those 8s are still ticking????? If thats not an advertisement then I dont know what is! New Alpine Type R's......Almost fireproof
rexroadj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2011   #352

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 apercu will become famous soon enoughapercu will become famous soon enoughapercu will become famous soon enoughapercu will become famous soon enoughapercu will become famous soon enoughapercu will become famous soon enough

I want to now wich of these setups will have more outpout:

2 x swr-823d in a vented box
1 swr-1243d vented

the amp is an old Alpine V12 MRD-M605 (600 watts @ 2 ohm) the 823d will be underpowered by 50 watt each and the 12 will be powered 100%

i have a cda-9855 HU and one MRV-F545 4 channel amp, maybe i will go for the new Type-R Spr-60c and the Spr-69 for the rear, to make complete Alpine System.
apercu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2011   #353

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Rep Power: 90 jim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by apercu View Post
I want to now wich of these setups will have more outpout:

2 x swr-823d in a vented box
1 swr-1243d vented

the amp is an old Alpine V12 MRD-M605 (600 watts @ 2 ohm) the 823d will be underpowered by 50 watt each and the 12 will be powered 100%

i have a cda-9855 HU and one MRV-F545 4 channel amp, maybe i will go for the new Type-R Spr-60c and the Spr-69 for the rear, to make complete Alpine System.
@600W, output is a toss up on paper, but I'd say the 12 would take it, while the SQ edge goes to the 8s for sure. As you add more power, the 12 will absolutely crush them in output.

if you do this. it'll help you. some sunny day ...
jim walter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2011   #354

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Rep Power: 90 jim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexroadj View Post
X2! I had been asking about this same thing but the state my doors were in (prior to melt down) made them very capable for this setup..... I was actually in the process of building sealed pods for them to slide into the door from the outside of the door panel (about 7"s deep and 9"s around) and was then going to add a set of eton 3" drivers with some scan tweets
Now I am looking at a restored jeep renegade and am trying to figure out how to implement them in kicks and still go three way or kicks as sub enclosures? I dont know....having a hard time shopping for a new vehicle?
Restored international scout, jeep renegade (80s) or restored dodge ramcharger?????? The charger offers the best audio solution, jeep offers the most fun, and the scout offers the coolest cool factor? Hard to believe my truck can melt to the ground, ruin my center console enclosure, but those 8s are still ticking????? If thats not an advertisement then I dont know what is! New Alpine Type R's......Almost fireproof
Good luck getting space in a Jeep, my test bed is a old Cherokee and there is NO space for 8s up front without putting a box through the floor (something I'm still seriously considering).

Old 08-03-2011   #355

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 96 jooonnn is on a distinguished roadjooonnn is on a distinguished roadjooonnn is on a distinguished roadjooonnn is on a distinguished roadjooonnn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by subwoofery View Post
Don't think you'll see many if any door mounted subwoofers.
Most hard core DIYers have a hard time getting rid of rattles with 8" midbasses... so a subwoofer IB in the door?

Try to search for an install with 8" Phase Linear Aliante
It's the only install I know that uses a subwoofer in the door HOWEVER they are not IB but sealed...

Kelvin
Ya i know rattles are a pain, but it wouldn't hurt to try before i go the full kick panel route. Do you have any tips for sealing the chamber in the door behind the woofer? My door doesn't really come apart besides the plastic panel.

2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track - new build coming soon! <3 JL Audio
jooonnn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2011   #356

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Don't seal the door, instead mount a small sealed box ON the door and Build out/up to it to trim it in. Two of our guys here have done this (08 Tundra and Tacoma) and it's awesome. The boxes in the tundra are under 0.25 I believe. As a midbass, 50hz and up that is just fine.

Old 08-03-2011   #357
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 155 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim walter View Post
Don't seal the door, instead mount a small sealed box ON the door and Build out/up to it to trim it in. Two of our guys here have done this (08 Tundra and Tacoma) and it's awesome. The boxes in the tundra are under 0.25 I believe. As a midbass, 50hz and up that is just fine.
This is exactly what I was refering to. Its what I was building for my doors in my truck prior to meltdown
rexroadj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2011   #358

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 96 jooonnn is on a distinguished roadjooonnn is on a distinguished roadjooonnn is on a distinguished roadjooonnn is on a distinguished roadjooonnn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Do you know where I can find pics on this?

Also do you know how much Power the PDX-F4 produces at 8ohms when bridged? Would it be just half the 200x2? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it to go stereo for the 8's if i have time alignment capabilities for them. I appreciate the response Jim.

Old 08-03-2011   #359

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by jooonnn View Post
Do you know where I can find pics on this?

Also do you know how much Power the PDX-F4 produces at 8ohms when bridged? Would it be just half the 200x2? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it to go stereo for the 8's if i have time alignment capabilities for them. I appreciate the response Jim.
If you don't already have the woofers, get the 823D and series each one to be a 4ohm load for your amp. I don't think the 8ohms is 1/2, but I don't know the real number.

I'll snap some pics at work tomorrow for you of those trucks.

Old 08-03-2011   #360

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
If you don't already have the woofers, get the 823D and series each one to be a 4ohm load for your amp. I don't think the 8ohms is 1/2, but I don't know the real number.

I'll snap some pics at work tomorrow for you of those trucks.
thanks a lot i really appreciate the support! only problem is i already have a 843D but i guess i could try to sell it if i can fetch some 823d's.

Old 08-03-2011   #361

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Nah, keep the D4's and run them at 2. The F4 at 2Ohms is still going to be cleaner than any other amplifier you can buy this side of some hyper-powered, high dollar A/B amp.

Old 08-03-2011   #362

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Nah, keep the D4's and run them at 2. The F4 at 2Ohms is still going to be cleaner than any other amplifier you can buy this side of some hyper-powered, high dollar A/B amp.
Is the F4 stable at 2 ohms bridged?

Old 08-03-2011   #363

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Good catch! No, it is not. *stupid*

Run it in stereo .. 4ohms to all 4 coils ... it'll give you >100W/coil and will do just fine.

Old 08-04-2011   #364

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 79 m0sdef will become famous soon enoughm0sdef will become famous soon enoughm0sdef will become famous soon enoughm0sdef will become famous soon enoughm0sdef will become famous soon enoughm0sdef will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I'd love to see pics of this as well because I have an 08 tundra and would love to try and put these in my doors
m0sdef is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2011   #365

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Here's those pics of the Tundra.

Not trimmed in yet though, so no finished pics.

Enjoy!

Old 08-04-2011   #366
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 94 XtremeRevolution is a jewel in the roughXtremeRevolution is a jewel in the roughXtremeRevolution is a jewel in the roughXtremeRevolution is a jewel in the roughXtremeRevolution is a jewel in the roughXtremeRevolution is a jewel in the roughXtremeRevolution is a jewel in the roughXtremeRevolution is a jewel in the roughXtremeRevolution is a jewel in the roughXtremeRevolution is a jewel in the roughXtremeRevolution is a jewel in the rough

Out of curiosity, what did you use for the putty to seal the pieces together?
XtremeRevolution is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2011   #367
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 144 nineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the rough

looks like duraglass. probably wood glue between the edges too.

Freedom of speech includes the freedom to offend people. - Brad Thor
nineball is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2011   #368

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 87 GouRiki will become famous soon enoughGouRiki will become famous soon enoughGouRiki will become famous soon enoughGouRiki will become famous soon enoughGouRiki will become famous soon enoughGouRiki will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeRevolution View Post
Out of curiosity, what did you use for the putty to seal the pieces together?
^aw he beat me
GouRiki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2011   #369

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Duraglass and CA ... oops, the secret is out!

In all seriousness, it works great ... just jigsaw puzzle the box together with CA and duraglass it sealed, crazy strong and very workable. Not the cheapest, but neither are mat and resin.

Old 08-04-2011   #370
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

Rep Power: 247 thehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud of

Duraglass and CA is an old Steve Brown technique. I swear he has been making boxes like that since the early 90s.
thehatedguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2011   #371

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehatedguy View Post
Duraglass and CA is an old Steve Brown technique. I swear he has been making boxes like that since the early 90s.
excuse me if i sound dumb but....what does CA stand for haha

Old 08-04-2011   #372
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Rep Power: 0 Fricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond reputeFricasseekid has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jooonnn View Post
excuse me if i sound dumb but....what does CA stand for haha
Was wondering that myself.
Fricasseekid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2011   #373
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 144 nineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the rough

Cyanoacrylate. it's super glue.

Freedom of speech includes the freedom to offend people. - Brad Thor
nineball is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2011   #374

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehatedguy View Post
.. and he still makes em like that today, these are from his truck

Old 08-05-2011   #375
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

Rep Power: 247 thehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud of

I remember reading about him making dash kits in the early 90s in a tutorial in Auto Sound and Security....but I lost that knowledge for about a decade later until I started installing professionally.

I have the Build log for his M3 and the Civic...done that way in there. I was always curious about how well such enclosures would hold up over time. I was scared to do something like that for a customer...but may have to try it out when I have to redo my center channel.
thehatedguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement