Alpine SWR-823D / 843D 8" Subwoofers - Page 16 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2011   #376

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 87 Arominus will become famous soon enoughArominus will become famous soon enoughArominus will become famous soon enoughArominus will become famous soon enoughArominus will become famous soon enoughArominus will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Alpine SWR-823D / 843D 8" Subwoofers

Well this thread convinced me to pull the trigger. Im getting a SWR-843 for my 1988 Porsche 944S, its going into a .23 cu. ft box in the right rear storage cubby in the back hatch area. Im going to add a 3/4" MDF spacer or baffle plate to the top of the fitted box i ordered to get a little more volume in the box. It will be powered by a MBquart PAB2100 @2ohms for 400w rms. Im pretty excited! This will be replacing a fiberglass/mdf box that was fitted to the rear seat wells of the Car and had 2 JL 10w3v2's in it. The box was sealed but never really did all that well IMO. I need a back seat so its getting sold. If i like the sub i may get my hands on a second box, or clone the first one...

Jim, did the grill ever become available? im looking around but not seeing it.
Arominus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2011   #377
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 235 quality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehatedguy View Post
I remember reading about him making dash kits in the early 90s in a tutorial in Auto Sound and Security....but I lost that knowledge for about a decade later until I started installing professionally.

I have the Build log for his M3 and the Civic...done that way in there. I was always curious about how well such enclosures would hold up over time. I was scared to do something like that for a customer...but may have to try it out when I have to redo my center channel.
I remember him coming to our shop and showing us that stuff in person. He still had the Acura at the time. The Ford with the rotating amp rack in the center console was one of the coolest things I'd ever seen.

quality_sound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2011   #378
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 198 60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute

why add CA? duraglass and bondo products are pretty tough as they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_inox View Post
bad contacts- main source of miracles in electricity.
60ndown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011   #379
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 146 nineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60ndown View Post
why add CA? duraglass and bondo products are pretty tough as they are.
the ca glue and activator are used to hold the wood in it's basic shape, like where the radius is in the corner, to make the form. once all pieces have dried you use the duraglass to actually hold everything together.

Freedom of speech includes the freedom to offend people. - Brad Thor
nineball is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2011   #380

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 84 willdabear has a spectacular aura aboutwilldabear has a spectacular aura aboutwilldabear has a spectacular aura aboutwilldabear has a spectacular aura aboutwilldabear has a spectacular aura aboutwilldabear has a spectacular aura aboutwilldabear has a spectacular aura aboutwilldabear has a spectacular aura aboutwilldabear has a spectacular aura aboutwilldabear has a spectacular aura about

So im thinking about using one or two of these in my corvette and most likely it or they will be in a sealed box. you said that you can run 2 of them with an m12 but is this something you would recomend for longevity? Im basically just wondering how much is a good daily rms for these subs. for example, would i be loosing a lot of the subs potential but driving 2 of them with an m6? also, my camaro had 2 type r's in a ported box but for the vette i want to save as muh weight as possible which is why im thinking of using the 8's. do you think one will b good for someone who like to occasionally crank it up with the windows down or should i stick with 2? my main focus is still SQ

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
-Douglas Adams-
willdabear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2011   #381

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 87 Arominus will become famous soon enoughArominus will become famous soon enoughArominus will become famous soon enoughArominus will become famous soon enoughArominus will become famous soon enoughArominus will become famous soon enough

I get my stuff on monday or so Will, ill let you know how one does in the back of a 944 with a pdx1000.1 hooked up to it in a .23 cu ft sealed box. My dad has a 944 and with said pdx installed already so ill be able to listen to it.
Arominus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2011   #382

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 IIdiceII will become famous soon enoughIIdiceII will become famous soon enoughIIdiceII will become famous soon enoughIIdiceII will become famous soon enoughIIdiceII will become famous soon enoughIIdiceII will become famous soon enough

would an alpine mrp-m500 be enough Power for two of these 8's?

i have a 12" type-r now and I wanted to try out a dual 8" setup.

edit: these would be going in the trunk of an 03 acura 3.2 TL and still undecided if I would be ported or sealed.

right now i have a 12" type r and in a vented enclosure and it gets louder than i would ever need but musically, it sounds like crap. it also takes up waaay to much space in the trunk.

in the meantime,i ordered a cheap sealed enclosure for the 12" to see if that helps out temporarily.

Last edited by IIdiceII; 08-13-2011 at 11:08 AM..
IIdiceII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2011   #383

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 84 willdabear has a spectacular aura aboutwilldabear has a spectacular aura aboutwilldabear has a spectacular aura aboutwilldabear has a spectacular aura aboutwilldabear has a spectacular aura aboutwilldabear has a spectacular aura aboutwilldabear has a spectacular aura aboutwilldabear has a spectacular aura aboutwilldabear has a spectacular aura aboutwilldabear has a spectacular aura about

how would 2 of these compare to a single 10w7

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
-Douglas Adams-
willdabear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2011   #384
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 157 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by willdabear View Post
how would 2 of these compare to a single 10w7
w7 is probably going to rule the output section..... SQ? well thats subjective but aside from SUPER low end extension I think the type r's will hold there own to maybe a tad better IMO. I have always found the w7 to be a great sounding/performing sub when properly utilized. I do love my type R 8s though
rexroadj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2011   #385

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 98 jooonnn is on a distinguished roadjooonnn is on a distinguished roadjooonnn is on a distinguished roadjooonnn is on a distinguished roadjooonnn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexroadj View Post
w7 is probably going to rule the output section..... SQ? well thats subjective but aside from SUPER low end extension I think the type r's will hold there own to maybe a tad better IMO. I have always found the w7 to be a great sounding/performing sub when properly utilized. I do love my type R 8s though
w7 does have beautiful low end extension even in sealed boxes. i've never heard subs play low so well (and look cool doing so as well). JL w7s tend to not get such a good rep on most DIY forums because of the "oh u can get so much better for the price" or "my sub sounds so much better than the w7 i heard" because who honestly wants to bash their own stuff right? Either way you'll never know which one you like until you try them both

2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track - new build coming soon! <3 JL Audio
jooonnn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2011   #386

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 98 jooonnn is on a distinguished roadjooonnn is on a distinguished roadjooonnn is on a distinguished roadjooonnn is on a distinguished roadjooonnn is on a distinguished road

Oops i meant to quote the other guy not rexor my bad!

2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track - new build coming soon! <3 JL Audio
jooonnn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2011   #387

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 75 TypeR will become famous soon enoughTypeR will become famous soon enoughTypeR will become famous soon enoughTypeR will become famous soon enoughTypeR will become famous soon enoughTypeR will become famous soon enough

Hi Jim, I am looking to replicate the vented box you showed earlier. Did you make it 11"x8.5"x20" as per the specs in the manual? Getting that port length might be tricky for my install. I've been under the impression that it's better to point the port towards the back bumper of the car...would I lose the benefits of the port if I had the sub facing the back bumper and the port facing the left or right side?
TypeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2011   #388

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Rep Power: 92 jim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeR View Post
Hi Jim, I am looking to replicate the vented box you showed earlier. Did you make it 11"x8.5"x20" as per the specs in the manual? Getting that port length might be tricky for my install. I've been under the impression that it's better to point the port towards the back bumper of the car...would I lose the benefits of the port if I had the sub facing the back bumper and the port facing the left or right side?
I do not believe that "port myth" to be true, honestly. I'd rather a port be non-bent and firing at the side of the vehicle than bent 90* and compressing and getting turbulent as I crank up the volume.

My boxes from the Jeep are actually the boxes in the manual (starting with the 09 Type R's, every box in the manuals has been a box we've hand built and signed off on here in-house).

I've taken a screen capture of the box from our PRG that we handed out to dealers this year .. hopefully this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg r8_vented.jpg (78.9 KB, 196 views)

if you do this. it'll help you. some sunny day ...
jim walter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2011   #389

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Rep Power: 92 jim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIdiceII View Post
would an alpine mrp-m500 be enough Power for two of these 8's?

i have a 12" type-r now and I wanted to try out a dual 8" setup.

edit: these would be going in the trunk of an 03 acura 3.2 TL and still undecided if I would be ported or sealed.

right now i have a 12" type r and in a vented enclosure and it gets louder than i would ever need but musically, it sounds like crap. it also takes up waaay to much space in the trunk.

in the meantime,i ordered a cheap sealed enclosure for the 12" to see if that helps out temporarily.
An MRP-M500 is just about perfect for these. Realize that these 8s are more efficient than the 10" Type R .. and a pair will be more efficient than a 12".

I'd recommend that you port them, but do not put them in a pre-fab.

Any chance you have the details of the vented box you R12 is currently installed in? Reason I ask (and request the 8s to go in a custom box) is that many pre-fab boxes these days are tuned anywhere from ~40-50Hz, which is great for output but can totally ruin an chance of SQ a sub ever had. An R12 is most happy tuned at 35Hz .. essentially a DD all-around performer, but I actually prefer them at 28-30Hz to clean things up a bit.

Old 08-15-2011   #390

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by willdabear View Post
So im thinking about using one or two of these in my corvette and most likely it or they will be in a sealed box. you said that you can run 2 of them with an m12 but is this something you would recomend for longevity? Im basically just wondering how much is a good daily rms for these subs. for example, would i be loosing a lot of the subs potential but driving 2 of them with an m6? also, my camaro had 2 type r's in a ported box but for the vette i want to save as muh weight as possible which is why im thinking of using the 8's. do you think one will b good for someone who like to occasionally crank it up with the windows down or should i stick with 2? my main focus is still SQ
A good match for a pair of these would be a PDX-M6, MRX-M50 or MRP-M500 (~500, 600 and 700W RMS from those guys, split to the pair is perfect). I really would not recommend using an M12 unless you just want to have that extra Power in case you ever expand the system.

If you main focus is SQ but you are used to 2 ported 10s or 12s .. I'd say Build to the spec box in the manual (posted above) for 2 ported 8s and you'll be extremely happy. SQ will be markedly better and you'll still have a nice amount of output should you want to get loud. The box should be smaller than a ported box for an R12 and two of these are lighter than 1 12", so you'll be saving some weight too.

Old 08-15-2011   #391

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 IIdiceII will become famous soon enoughIIdiceII will become famous soon enoughIIdiceII will become famous soon enoughIIdiceII will become famous soon enoughIIdiceII will become famous soon enoughIIdiceII will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim walter View Post
An MRP-M500 is just about perfect for these. Realize that these 8s are more efficient than the 10" Type R .. and a pair will be more efficient than a 12".

I'd recommend that you port them, but do not put them in a pre-fab.

Any chance you have the details of the vented box you R12 is currently installed in? Reason I ask (and request the 8s to go in a custom box) is that many pre-fab boxes these days are tuned anywhere from ~40-50Hz, which is great for output but can totally ruin an chance of SQ a sub ever had. An R12 is most happy tuned at 35Hz .. essentially a DD all-around performer, but I actually prefer them at 28-30Hz to clean things up a bit.
the box is an atrend e12sv.

according to newegg, its tuned to 33hz.

i have the sealed box on the way (it was only 30 bucks). Im really new to Car audio and its more of an experiment to see the difference in a sealed vs ported setup.
IIdiceII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2011   #392

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 95 billg71 has a spectacular aura aboutbillg71 has a spectacular aura aboutbillg71 has a spectacular aura aboutbillg71 has a spectacular aura aboutbillg71 has a spectacular aura aboutbillg71 has a spectacular aura aboutbillg71 has a spectacular aura aboutbillg71 has a spectacular aura aboutbillg71 has a spectacular aura aboutbillg71 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim walter View Post
I do not believe that "port myth" to be true, honestly. I'd rather a port be non-bent and firing at the side of the vehicle than bent 90* and compressing and getting turbulent as I crank up the volume.

My boxes from the Jeep are actually the boxes in the manual (starting with the 09 Type R's, every box in the manuals has been a box we've hand built and signed off on here in-house).

I've taken a screen capture of the box from our PRG that we handed out to dealers this year .. hopefully this helps.
Jim,

How does your box compare with the preloaded enclosure Alpine is marketing? SBR-S83V Enclosed Type-R 8” Subwoofer

I got a quick listen to it at the local dealer when I ordered my driver, it sounded pretty good but I didn't have a lot of time to audition.

I could almost fit that one in my car, right now I've got one ordered to go in a .35 sealed box to see how it works.

Thanks,
Bill

"Born to fish, forced to work...."
billg71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2011   #393

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 76 3cyltrbo will become famous soon enough3cyltrbo will become famous soon enough3cyltrbo will become famous soon enough3cyltrbo will become famous soon enough3cyltrbo will become famous soon enough3cyltrbo will become famous soon enough

has anyone built a box with a chimney port yet (port entirely outside of the box ?)

I was thinking that for the install I'm working on, I might have to go with a 2.5" I.D. round chimney port that is entirely outside of the box
3cyltrbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2011   #394
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 157 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

I have done this on a few occasions (couple inches in inside but mostly outside) for trunks to port directly through the rear deck. Make it rigid and its fine!
rexroadj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2011   #395

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 72 CGMMNY will become famous soon enoughCGMMNY will become famous soon enoughCGMMNY will become famous soon enoughCGMMNY will become famous soon enoughCGMMNY will become famous soon enoughCGMMNY will become famous soon enough

Hey Jim

I have 3 8 inch Type R's in a 1.17 cu ft sealed enclosure (so about .39 cu ft per sub before woofer displacement). I'll be pushing them with a Massive audio N4 @ 2.66 ohms which means each sub will see between 300 to 325 watts each.

I believe my setup will have plenty of punch, have decent low bass extension and play loudly without distortion. I'd like to hear your thoughts as to what I should expect. Is there anything else I need to take into consideration before finalizing and moving forward with a full install?

Thanks

Last edited by CGMMNY; 08-17-2011 at 10:49 AM..
CGMMNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2011   #396
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 141 pwnt by pat is on a distinguished roadpwnt by pat is on a distinguished roadpwnt by pat is on a distinguished roadpwnt by pat is on a distinguished roadpwnt by pat is on a distinguished road

Jim,

Thanks for taking the time with this thread.

I do have a question for you:
You say the subs will do alright dropped from a rear deck, ib, but to only hook up one of the coils. I have 600wms in 2 ohms, so I would need to use the do versions. do you know the ts parameters of the do with only one coil hooked up, so I can see how it would model vs the sls8's?

knowledge: acquaintance with facts or principles, from study or investigation (science)
ignorance: willful disregard of limitations in a current practice (inverse of knowledge)
stupidity: doing same thing over again expecting different results (application of igno.)
pwnt by pat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2011   #397

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 113 Scooby will become famous soon enoughScooby will become famous soon enoughScooby will become famous soon enoughScooby will become famous soon enoughScooby will become famous soon enoughScooby will become famous soon enough

Can anyone tell me how 2 of the 843D would compare to a 10" Ascendant audio Arsenal. I already have the Arsenal but torn weather to use it due to space (depth) constraints. Either set up would be in recommended sealed box. Power will be from a Massive audio N2 amp.
Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2011   #398
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 164 WLDock will become famous soon enoughWLDock will become famous soon enoughWLDock will become famous soon enoughWLDock will become famous soon enoughWLDock will become famous soon enoughWLDock will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
Can anyone tell me how 2 of the 843D would compare to a 10" Ascendant audio Arsenal. I already have the Arsenal but torn weather to use it due to space (depth) constraints. Either set up would be in recommended sealed box. Power will be from a Massive audio N2 amp.
Did you see Page 2 where Jim compared two sealed 8's to a single sealed 12?

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...woofers-2.html

Should tell you what these can do. If depth is an issue then it is either 8's or shallow drivers like the SWR-T10.
WLDock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2011   #399

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 113 Scooby will become famous soon enoughScooby will become famous soon enoughScooby will become famous soon enoughScooby will become famous soon enoughScooby will become famous soon enoughScooby will become famous soon enough

It's been awhile since I read through the whole post. Got it. Thanks
Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2011   #400

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 76 3cyltrbo will become famous soon enough3cyltrbo will become famous soon enough3cyltrbo will become famous soon enough3cyltrbo will become famous soon enough3cyltrbo will become famous soon enough3cyltrbo will become famous soon enough

Jim

Just ordered the grill through the Alpine website(Shopatron) order# 4961056

Would love to post some port diameter / length questions to you once I get a picture of my box

Cheers

Will
3cyltrbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement