Alpine SWR-823D / 843D 8" Subwoofers - Page 26 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012   #626

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 easy smeasy will become famous soon enougheasy smeasy will become famous soon enougheasy smeasy will become famous soon enougheasy smeasy will become famous soon enougheasy smeasy will become famous soon enougheasy smeasy will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Alpine SWR-823D / 843D 8" Subwoofers

ok i just purchased a swr-823d to put under the seat of my '10 f150. i want to add more subs later on, but for now i want to stick the one i just purchased in a ported box. my problem is that i cant figure out what size port i should use for my box. ive read on the thread that a .5 cu ft box tuned at 35 hz would sound great, so i figured that's what i would run. and since it doesnt matter about the depth for this sub, i want to keep the box slim rectagular instead of making the custom angles to match the seat. as far as dimensions, im looking at going 5.5" max in height, 11" max in depth, and how ever long it will need to be for the correct air space along with the port. can someone help me to figure out how long the box and port should be? im using 3/4" mdf and plan on running a slotted port. thanks in advance.
easy smeasy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2012   #627

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 easy smeasy will become famous soon enougheasy smeasy will become famous soon enougheasy smeasy will become famous soon enougheasy smeasy will become famous soon enougheasy smeasy will become famous soon enougheasy smeasy will become famous soon enough

guess ima go with a sealed then
Old 01-14-2012   #628

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 66 rodburner will become famous soon enoughrodburner will become famous soon enoughrodburner will become famous soon enoughrodburner will become famous soon enoughrodburner will become famous soon enoughrodburner will become famous soon enough

I've read this and read it again and keep coming up with questions. I'm going to Build my first ported box [ever] for my pair of SWR 823's. They will be powered @2ohms [for now,will get 2 843's for a 4ohm load if the box sounds good] by a JL HD1200.
Questions are, is 30hz too low to tune these and if NOT,then will my 1cf [net] box with an 8.5" x 1.5" x 35.25" port, be OK?
Will tapering or rolling the slot mouth [not just rounding over] help or hurt?
The slot will exit the side of the box and be flush with the factory,upholstered curved section of the cab,with about 4" to the cab side wall.Is this enough clearance?
The JL has a 30hz ssb at 24db/oct. Will using that at a 30hz tune,screw stuff up?
Oh,and can the port be any shape or size as long as the area stays the same,ie 1x12,2x6,3x4 etc?
Thanks for any insight.
Steve

Last edited by rodburner; 01-14-2012 at 10:41 AM..
rodburner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2012   #629
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 276 subwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodburner View Post
I've read this and read it again and keep coming up with questions. I'm going to Build my first ported box [ever] for my pair of SWR 823's. They will be powered @2ohms [for now,will get 2 843's for a 4ohm load if the box sounds good] by a JL HD1200.
Questions are, is 30hz too low to tune these and if NOT,then will my 1cf [net] box with an 8.5" x 1.5" x 35.25" port, be OK?
Will tapering or rolling the slot mouth [not just rounding over] help or hurt?
The slot will exit the side of the box and be flush with the factory,upholstered curved section of the cab,with about 4" to the cab side wall.Is this enough clearance?
The JL has a 30hz ssb at 24db/oct. Will using that at a 30hz tune,screw stuff up?
Oh,and can the port be any shape or size as long as the area stays the same,ie 1x12,2x6,3x4 etc?
Thanks for any insight.
Steve
Hope you know how to set gains coz that HD1200 will put out double the RMS of the drivers. Headroom is great but you can easily bottom out or fry your drivers...

To answer your question, yes you can tune it below FS and 30Hz sounds good. Round over the corners (inside the box) and the port exit too.
Port can be any shape or size as long as the area stays the same but the closer to a square, the better.

Kelvin

Lycan
Quote:
I'll repeat it for the miliionth time : All amps do NOT sound the same ... It's astonishing to me that nobody understands this
Who knows, some might understand now
and here's another one and another <-- click on the links
subwoofery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2012   #630

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 66 rodburner will become famous soon enoughrodburner will become famous soon enoughrodburner will become famous soon enoughrodburner will become famous soon enoughrodburner will become famous soon enoughrodburner will become famous soon enough

Awesome,thanks. Yes,I did change up the port shape to fit better in my pickup. It will indeed be square at 3.5 x 3.5.
And I don't mess with gains AT ALL. I have them set all the way down,[have an HD 900/5 powering the system now,in 3 channel ] and have never wanted for more volume.. Also,it was mentioned several times by Jim that around 600w was ok with restraint.
Old 01-14-2012   #631

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Rep Power: 90 jim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodburner View Post
Awesome,thanks. Yes,I did change up the port shape to fit better in my pickup. It will indeed be square at 3.5 x 3.5.
And I don't mess with gains AT ALL. I have them set all the way down,[have an HD 900/5 powering the system now,in 3 channel ] and have never wanted for more volume.. Also,it was mentioned several times by Jim that around 600w was ok with restraint.
An HD1200 is a very powerful amp, much like the M12 I have been running on these ported for over a year now. I'd say you'll smell things before they let go, but you are definitely in the "danger zone".

As far as your 30Hz tune, I guess I'd ask why so low? You'll sacrifice a good bit of impact and weight to get the last little bit of extension. I'd recommend taking that up to 33Hz at least.

Jim

if you do this. it'll help you. some sunny day ...
jim walter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2012   #632

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Rep Power: 90 jim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy smeasy View Post
ok i just purchased a swr-823d to put under the seat of my '10 f150. i want to add more subs later on, but for now i want to stick the one i just purchased in a ported box. my problem is that i cant figure out what size port i should use for my box. ive read on the thread that a .5 cu ft box tuned at 35 hz would sound great, so i figured that's what i would run. and since it doesnt matter about the depth for this sub, i want to keep the box slim rectagular instead of making the custom angles to match the seat. as far as dimensions, im looking at going 5.5" max in height, 11" max in depth, and how ever long it will need to be for the correct air space along with the port. can someone help me to figure out how long the box and port should be? im using 3/4" mdf and plan on running a slotted port. thanks in advance.
Using 3/4" Material, the box should be 5.5" x 11" x 52" to get you the gross requirement for 1cuft + woofers + port.

Vent will be 4" (internal height of the box) by 2.5" at 13" Long.

Change to 1/2" material and you reduce the length to 44" and the port is now 4.5" x 2.25"

Old 01-14-2012   #633

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim walter View Post
An HD1200 is a very powerful amp, much like the M12 I have been running on these ported for over a year now. I'd say you'll smell things before they let go, but you are definitely in the "danger zone".

As far as your 30Hz tune, I guess I'd ask why so low? You'll sacrifice a good bit of impact and weight to get the last little bit of extension. I'd recommend taking that up to 33Hz at least.

Jim
No problem Jim,thanks. Like I said,never had a ported box before,so just read a bunch of threads on here and picked a number. I'll try 33 and 35hz before screwing it down.
Old 01-14-2012   #634

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Dedicated_Joker will become famous soon enoughDedicated_Joker will become famous soon enoughDedicated_Joker will become famous soon enoughDedicated_Joker will become famous soon enoughDedicated_Joker will become famous soon enoughDedicated_Joker will become famous soon enough

I always run type Rs, usally two 12's but I recently bought a truck so I dont have the room anymore so I bought a new 8, soon to have another. They are sick subs, compare this 8 to alot of others and they are monsters in compairison! Best 8 in my opinion.
Dedicated_Joker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2012   #635
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 94 Neil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the rough

Jim,

I took some distortion measurements of my 4x 0.3 cu.ft. sealed enclosure. Here is the link to the thread in which I posted them. In your experience, do these numbers look in the ballpark?

2011 MINI Cooper S :: [build log]
HAT L6SE, L3SE, L1 Pro R2. 4x Alpine SWR-843D, JL XD700/5, XD500/3, Alpine H800, RUXC800, CDA-117
Neil_J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2012   #636
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 276 subwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil_J View Post
Jim,

I took some distortion measurements of my 4x 0.3 cu.ft. sealed enclosure. Here is the link to the thread in which I posted them. In your experience, do these numbers look in the ballpark?

In order for Jim to answer, he needs to know what's the input voltage OR @ what SPL those measurements have been taken...

Kelvin

Lycan
Quote:
I'll repeat it for the miliionth time : All amps do NOT sound the same ... It's astonishing to me that nobody understands this
Who knows, some might understand now
and here's another one and another <-- click on the links
subwoofery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2012   #637

DIYMA freshman

thanks jim, the only problem is your specs are for multiple subs. im gonna be running 1 for a good while and i want to put it in a ported box alone. i also decided to use the 1/2 mdf so take that into consideration. thanks
Old 01-17-2012   #638

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 gnn60s will become famous soon enoughgnn60s will become famous soon enoughgnn60s will become famous soon enoughgnn60s will become famous soon enoughgnn60s will become famous soon enoughgnn60s will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=quality_sound;1522705]16 is fine though some will say you HAVE to use 12. What kindo f Car do you have that there is TWENTY feet of Wire between the amp and enclosure???

Thanks for the reply. We just installed four of the swr 843d's and the m12 into my 2dr tahoe. I overestimated the length of the distance of Wire by 10 ft unintentionally. I found 12 gauge wire from a previous install and utilized that. The swr's sound tight, clean and loud especially for the amazing amount of minimal space they require and all this WITHOUT fine tuning the m12 yet! Awesome thread for an awesome little speaker!
gnn60s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2012   #639
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 120 jimbno1 will become famous soon enoughjimbno1 will become famous soon enoughjimbno1 will become famous soon enoughjimbno1 will become famous soon enoughjimbno1 will become famous soon enoughjimbno1 will become famous soon enough

Although it is colder than a witch's patootey outside I test fitted from the top of the deck last night. It might not fit unless I do a lot of modification to the cover.

If I do decide to mount below the deck instead of from the top, I assume I should just drill holes through the rubber mounting gasket on the frame. Any suggestions or cautions?

Also is additional sealing required other than the rubber gasket?

"No where in your rambling incoherent response did you come close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. We are all dumber for having listened to it."
"People are dumb panicky dangerous animals and you know it."
jimbno1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2012   #640

DIYMA freshman

Jim,just take off the beauty ring and the rubber gasket and mount it like any other sub that ain't got the pretty rings. I put closed cell foam weatherstripping on every sub,no matter what,to seal them better. Just make sure you have clearance for the surround to move.. Make sure the sub fits the right way up,then flip it over and screw it down.
Old 01-19-2012   #641
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 120 jimbno1 will become famous soon enoughjimbno1 will become famous soon enoughjimbno1 will become famous soon enoughjimbno1 will become famous soon enoughjimbno1 will become famous soon enoughjimbno1 will become famous soon enough

Thanks I was afraid to try and pull it off. It fits much better without it.

"No where in your rambling incoherent response did you come close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. We are all dumber for having listened to it."
"People are dumb panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Last edited by jimbno1; 01-19-2012 at 04:57 PM..
jimbno1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2012   #642
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 94 Neil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the roughNeil_J is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbno1 View Post
Thanks I was afraid to try and pull it off. It fits much better without it.
Um... That's what she said?

HAT L6SE, L3SE, L1 Pro R2. 4x Alpine SWR-843D, JL XD700/5, XD500/3, Alpine H800, RUXC800, CDA-117
Old 01-26-2012   #643

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Quote:
Using 3/4" Material, the box should be 5.5" x 11" x 26" to get you the gross requirement for 1cuft + woofers + port.

Vent will be 4" (internal height of the box) by 1.25" at 13" Long.

Change to 1/2" material and you reduce the length to 22" and the port is now 4.5" x 1-1/8"

Edited the above dimensions for 1 sub.

Old 01-26-2012   #644

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 77 keanuration will become famous soon enoughkeanuration will become famous soon enoughkeanuration will become famous soon enoughkeanuration will become famous soon enoughkeanuration will become famous soon enoughkeanuration will become famous soon enough

Hey Jim,

I would like to swap out my JL 8w3v2 sub in my custom box for this gem of a sub. It looks like I may be able to just swap out the subs since my current box is spec'd at gross .8 cubes with a 3in round port tuned to the mid 30s. Would this be possible? or is that too big of a box. btw, I do like my music low, I listen to mainly hip-hop and rock.

thanks!
keanuration is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2012   #645

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by keanuration View Post
Hey Jim,

I would like to swap out my JL 8w3v2 sub in my custom box for this gem of a sub. It looks like I may be able to just swap out the subs since my current box is spec'd at gross .8 cubes with a 3in round port tuned to the mid 30s. Would this be possible? or is that too big of a box. btw, I do like my music low, I listen to mainly hip-hop and rock.

thanks!
That'll be just fine. You'll add a little emphasis on the lower frequencies with the bigger box.

Jim

Old 01-29-2012   #646

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Jake the SSnake will become famous soon enoughJake the SSnake will become famous soon enoughJake the SSnake will become famous soon enoughJake the SSnake will become famous soon enoughJake the SSnake will become famous soon enoughJake the SSnake will become famous soon enough

Quote:
As mentioned in my other write-up thread, the box WILL hit down to 20 Hz. The displacement is there (more surface area than a pair of 12's), it's just a matter of getting there cleanly, and I'm pretty sure I'm being more picky than most people would be. I will be rocking the 4 8's for a few months, and heck, I might even fall in love with them. They do play AWFULLY clean above 45 Hz
Actually, 2 12's displace a little more unless I'm missing something. The surface area for one 8" is roughly 50.24 sq inches, 1 12" is 113.04 sq inches. 2 12's would be right around 12% more area, which really isn't all that much anyways. I used to do spl competitions with 2 12" type-Rs when I had my blazer and I absolutely loved them. Since buying a truck, I can barely fit 8's. I've been waiting a while to decide on what to do, and these are right up my alley. I'm hoping to be able to squeeze 4 of these in a 2.0 cu ft box ported in the mid to upper 30's. It might not be quite what my 12's were, but it should be pretty close, hopefully, since I'll be competing in the same class, should I decide to do so again.
Jake the SSnake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2012   #647
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake the SSnake View Post
Actually, 2 12's displace a little more unless I'm missing something. The surface area for one 8" is roughly 50.24 sq inches, 1 12" is 113.04 sq inches. 2 12's would be right around 12% more area, which really isn't all that much anyways
I stand corrected, I am close to flunking out of my calc class at the moment... :-/ I need to learn my maths better...

Old 01-30-2012   #648

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

If you're up for the Speaker geek-challenge, lets try something:

1) try a slightly larger box for two woofers. Maybe just Build a proto at say 0.45 net each

2) try a 0.6@33Hz box.

See which one cleans up the LF more relative to each other at normalized output.

I haven't done this before, but I think it'd be interesting.

Jim

Old 01-31-2012   #649

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 75 Zbebop will become famous soon enoughZbebop will become famous soon enoughZbebop will become famous soon enoughZbebop will become famous soon enoughZbebop will become famous soon enoughZbebop will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Jim,

I constructed a fiberglass Sub box of 0.29 c. ft. of interior volume for a single Alpine SWR84D sub due to install this weekend. I plan to add polyfill. If possible,I will let you know if I have similar results.

The crossover slopes may be different settings than your set-up. My system is using an Audison bitTen for the signal processor and the amp is an Hertz HDP-5 (5-channel). The interior volume of the vehicle is small (370Z)... not sure of the total cu.ft.
Zbebop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2012   #650

DIYMA freshman

Cool Re: Alpine SWR-823D / 843D 8" Subwoofers

Quote:
If you're up for the Speaker geek-challenge, lets try something:

1) try a slightly larger box for two woofers. Maybe just Build a proto at say 0.45 net each

2) try a 0.6@33Hz box.

See which one cleans up the LF more relative to each other at normalized output.

I haven't done this before, but I think it'd be interesting.

Jim
well i decided to go with a bigger sealed box instead of the ported. the first one i built was .30 after sub displacement. i built the second the other day a hair under .46 cu ft after sub displacement and WOW what a difference! i dont know all the technical terms and what not but it definately reaches deeper in the low freaquencies and alot cleaner. overall, the .46 cu ft box works alot better for me and my taste in music. i listen to rock, metal, rap and what ever you consider skrillex to be lol. like to throw some of that in there every now and again lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement