Alpine SWR-823D / 843D 8" Subwoofers - Page 3 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2011   #51
DIYMA 500 Club

Addicted to 12 Volt

12V Company:
TAS Electronics
Position:
Install Tech

Rep Power: 170 Chaos will become famous soon enoughChaos will become famous soon enoughChaos will become famous soon enoughChaos will become famous soon enoughChaos will become famous soon enoughChaos will become famous soon enoughChaos will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Alpine SWR-823D / 843D 8" Subwoofers

How well do you think one of these in .9 cu.ft. with a 3" Aeroport tuned @ 35 hz w/ 350 watts would perform?
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2011   #52
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 144 BEAVER will become famous soon enoughBEAVER will become famous soon enoughBEAVER will become famous soon enoughBEAVER will become famous soon enoughBEAVER will become famous soon enoughBEAVER will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salami View Post
Jim can you post the T/S parameters please?
That was done on the first page... post 5

Have stuff. Makes noise.
BEAVER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2011   #53

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Rep Power: 92 jim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNEY View Post
WOW, Jim your the man! I really appreciate your time spent doing this. I am shocked that you said the 8's are getting as low as the 12 w/ .30 cf. That is incredible.
you're more than welcome ... I gave my opinion on it, but I had to prove it to myself to back it up. I sent a text to a guy in tech support while testing "prepared to be blown away? Come to Jeep". One of our guys came out to listen and was shocked. The biggest surprise is the amount of perceived weight they have, matched with the speed of 8s. They're damn fun woofers for sure.

if you do this. it'll help you. some sunny day ...
jim walter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011   #54

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Rep Power: 92 jim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
How well do you think one of these in .9 cu.ft. with a 3" Aeroport tuned @ 35 hz w/ 350 watts would perform?
Would work decent with a bit too much emphasis on the lows for my taste. I might cut a second hole in that box and slap a second woofer in there and deal with a little vent compression to linearize the response a bit. I'll sim it up later to see what it's really doing, but my initial thoughts are the box is a tad large.

Old 04-07-2011   #55
DIYMA 500 Club

Addicted to 12 Volt

12V Company:
TAS Electronics
Position:
Install Tech

Rep Power: 170 Chaos will become famous soon enoughChaos will become famous soon enoughChaos will become famous soon enoughChaos will become famous soon enoughChaos will become famous soon enoughChaos will become famous soon enoughChaos will become famous soon enough

Cool. Thanx for the honest answer.
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2011   #56
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 124 Salami is on a distinguished roadSalami is on a distinguished roadSalami is on a distinguished roadSalami is on a distinguished roadSalami is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAVER View Post
That was done on the first page... post 5
Shit. And I posted right after it.

I am going back to sleep. Maybe my brain will work when I wake up.
Salami is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2011   #57

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Problemhouston will become famous soon enoughProblemhouston will become famous soon enoughProblemhouston will become famous soon enoughProblemhouston will become famous soon enoughProblemhouston will become famous soon enoughProblemhouston will become famous soon enough

After I added sand the box I built comes out to exactly .50 cubic feet. What would give me the most output with 600 watts on tap in a sealed enclosure. Pair of the 8's or a single 10 type R? It's going to be my only sub system so I want good output but to also at least play down in the low 40 range.

Thanks in advance for your help?
Problemhouston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2011   #58

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 78 Irishdrunk will become famous soon enoughIrishdrunk will become famous soon enoughIrishdrunk will become famous soon enoughIrishdrunk will become famous soon enoughIrishdrunk will become famous soon enoughIrishdrunk will become famous soon enoughIrishdrunk will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Problemhouston View Post
After I added sand the box I built comes out to exactly .50 cubic feet. What would give me the most output with 600 watts on tap in a sealed enclosure. Pair of the 8's or a single 10 type R? It's going to be my only sub system so I want good output but to also at least play down in the low 40 range.

Thanks in advance for your help?
I think it was pretty much established that 2 8's > 12 earlier in the thread

Alpine SWR-823D / 843D 8" Subwoofers

So I think they would way output the single 10, even with the same amount of power. Just from what I've read in this thread my opinion would be 8's for both output and SQ
Irishdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2011   #59

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 79 Offroader5 will become famous soon enoughOffroader5 will become famous soon enoughOffroader5 will become famous soon enoughOffroader5 will become famous soon enoughOffroader5 will become famous soon enoughOffroader5 will become famous soon enough

How's this for a first post. Doing some research on 8" subs for my 4Runner and came across this site. After reading through this thread and seeing that the most likely person to answer the questions is in the room, I came to the conclusion that I needed to sign up and ask away.

My 2003 4Runner came with the JBL Synthesis 10 Speaker system and I'm in the process of swapping out the whole system (can't think for the life of me how they could charge so much for this "upgrade").

The sub enclosure in the rear quarter panel is .6 cu. sealed and holds one 8". The more I read about this new Alpine 8...the more I think I want to try it out in this enclosure. Question is, will it work well with the rest of my system layout?

The plan was SPR-60C's (or possibly SPX-17PRO's if I get a wild hair to spend more) in the front doors with the tweet up high in the OEM location, the SPR-60's in the rear doors, and a PDX-5 amp running the whole show.

For the sub, would I be better off going with the dual 4 ohm version run parallel for that mono channel on the PDX-5? Also, is the PDX-5 going to be enough to Power the door speakers without issue?
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2011   #60
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 105 Angrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enough

Go with the type X pros... Def worth the extra money.
Angrywhopper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2011   #61

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Problemhouston will become famous soon enoughProblemhouston will become famous soon enoughProblemhouston will become famous soon enoughProblemhouston will become famous soon enoughProblemhouston will become famous soon enoughProblemhouston will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishdrunk View Post
I think it was pretty much established that 2 8's > 12 earlier in the thread

Alpine SWR-823D / 843D 8" Subwoofers

So I think they would way output the single 10, even with the same amount of power. Just from what I've read in this thread my opinion would be 8's for both output and SQ
I get that 2 8's have more cone area and will move more air but am more concerned with how the low volume of airspace will effect the low end performance of the difference set ups. If squeezing the two 8's in .50 will choke out the lower frequencies I would rather go with a single 10.
Old 04-08-2011   #62

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 106 killerb87 will become famous soon enoughkillerb87 will become famous soon enoughkillerb87 will become famous soon enoughkillerb87 will become famous soon enoughkillerb87 will become famous soon enoughkillerb87 will become famous soon enough

sweet!
killerb87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2011   #63

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Quote:
I get that 2 8's have more cone area and will move more air but am more concerned with how the low volume of airspace will effect the low end performance of the difference set ups. If squeezing the two 8's in .50 will choke out the lower frequencies I would rather go with a single 10.
2 8s in 0.5 cubes are going to dig lower than 1 10" in the same airspace, while being a good 2-3dB more efficient. Overall potential output level, I'd imagine the 8s win that one as well.

Why did you fill your box with sand? Did I read that correctly?

Old 04-08-2011   #64

DIYMA freshman

Ha ha ha. Well the enclosure isn't your typical shape and I couldn't get an accurate measurement with just LxWxH. So I built cut a cardboard box to exactly .50 cubic feet filled it up with sand and poured the sand into my enclosure. Sure enough all the sand fit in my enclosure. There was more space in my enclosure but I will chalk that up as a loss to driver displacement.

Looks like I will be going with a pair of 8's then. I'm still a bit concerned about having one 8 firing at me and the other away from me (mounted in the center console). Don't need any cancellation issues.
Old 04-08-2011   #65

DIYMA freshman

When will I be able get a pair?
Old 04-08-2011   #66

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 79 Offroader5 will become famous soon enoughOffroader5 will become famous soon enoughOffroader5 will become famous soon enoughOffroader5 will become famous soon enoughOffroader5 will become famous soon enoughOffroader5 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim walter View Post
2 8s in 0.5 cubes are going to dig lower than 1 10" in the same airspace, while being a good 2-3dB more efficient. Overall potential output level, I'd imagine the 8s win that one as well.
Is that .5 cu. including the woofer displacment or would that need to be added?
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2011   #67

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 97 huckorris will become famous soon enoughhuckorris will become famous soon enoughhuckorris will become famous soon enoughhuckorris will become famous soon enoughhuckorris will become famous soon enoughhuckorris will become famous soon enough

Quote:
When will I be able get a pair?
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckorris View Post
They are available.

1995 Honda Odyssey --- Alpine 7854 ---> RF P400-4 ---> Pioneer PRS 720 & Pioneer 10" TS-W252R (120rms lol) in .8 sealed.
huckorris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2011   #68

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckorris View Post
They are available.
I swear I just searched for them the oher day and every site I found said pre-order. I will order at least one in the next week or so. Thanks to everyone who answered my questions.
Old 04-08-2011   #69

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 88 Oscar will become famous soon enoughOscar will become famous soon enoughOscar will become famous soon enoughOscar will become famous soon enoughOscar will become famous soon enoughOscar will become famous soon enough

I like that surround type in the sense that using a half-roll "profile" in combination with the pro-audio style "accordian" shape will allow alot more mechanical excursion because the actual length is greater than just using one type or the other, but why not use that added advantage to increase the Sd by using a slightly larger usable cone area? Cone area increases quadratically (for those that are mathematically inclined) with respect to radius, so I would think that efficiency could have been increased without a penalty in the Xsus department. Anyone know what I mean?
Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2011   #70

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
I like that surround type in the sense that using a half-roll "profile" in combination with the pro-audio style "accordian" shape will allow alot more mechanical excursion because the actual length is greater than just using one type or the other, but why not use that added advantage to increase the Sd by using a slightly larger usable cone area? Cone area increases quadratically (for those that are mathematically inclined) with respect to radius, so I would think that efficiency could have been increased without a penalty in the Xsus department. Anyone know what I mean?
I know exactly what you mean. Example of this in effect - the new Type R speakers have 8% more cone area vs the old ones due to the adoption of HAMR ... So we get it. You'll see the evolution of this into higher Sd's in the future.

To answer why this doesn't have more cone area with this surround, they have 24mm of excursion (mech 26 and 24 sus) ... So we got more X with no loss in Sd

Old 04-08-2011   #71
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 157 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

They are up on crutchfield for those that care about authorized!
I am pretty sure I will get a better deal locally (they like me
Jim....YOU SUCK! I have ZERO need for anything new (except deck and processor) but yet here I am...Buying a pair of these things Damn you and my love of eights!!!! I have used, tested, listened just about everything available over the last decade plus and none of them have had me more intrigued then these. I will put one up against the winner of the last great 8 challenge (crystal cmp8). My brother inlaw has 4 of them and is only using 2 so I might have to "borrow" one for a while. I actually like the jbl gto and w7 better then the cmp but have a feeling these are going to be the cream of the crop overall. I have no idea why I am doing this I have two G5 10s and am super happy with just the one ported in my center console and an all Boston system (supporting the local boys
Damn you JIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need to play with the 910 when its out to see if that does it for me. That is what I am really weary about (not a fan of the last several units, BT, and nav. If thats good then I will definitely go with the h800. Otherwise the new rockford 363 is going to get some serious consideration but will be between the two.
rexroadj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2011   #72

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 109 eggyhustles will become famous soon enougheggyhustles will become famous soon enougheggyhustles will become famous soon enougheggyhustles will become famous soon enougheggyhustles will become famous soon enougheggyhustles will become famous soon enough

Just pulled the trigger on 4 of them. Gonna be my first sealed setup in a long time
eggyhustles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2011   #73

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Awesome!

What kind of Power are you looking at for them? Try 200-400 each and if you can match my test boxes (.3 net after woofer) you'll be a very happy basshead.

Old 04-12-2011   #74

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexroadj View Post
They are up on crutchfield for those that care about authorized!
I am pretty sure I will get a better deal locally (they like me
Jim....YOU SUCK! I have ZERO need for anything new (except deck and processor) but yet here I am...Buying a pair of these things Damn you and my love of eights!!!! I have used, tested, listened just about everything available over the last decade plus and none of them have had me more intrigued then these. I will put one up against the winner of the last great 8 challenge (crystal cmp8). My brother inlaw has 4 of them and is only using 2 so I might have to "borrow" one for a while. I actually like the jbl gto and w7 better then the cmp but have a feeling these are going to be the cream of the crop overall. I have no idea why I am doing this I have two G5 10s and am super happy with just the one ported in my center console and an all Boston system (supporting the local boys
Damn you JIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need to play with the 910 when its out to see if that does it for me. That is what I am really weary about (not a fan of the last several units, BT, and nav. If thats good then I will definitely go with the h800. Otherwise the new rockford 363 is going to get some serious consideration but will be between the two.
Um, thanks and sorry

I'll look forward to the results. PM me if you want to talk box design for the tests. Enjoy!
Jim

Old 04-12-2011   #75
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 157 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim walter View Post
Um, thanks and sorry

I'll look forward to the results. PM me if you want to talk box design for the tests. Enjoy!
Jim
I will gladly PM you prior to pulling out the saw
You know I was just kidding about the sucking part right?
I greatly appreciate the offer for info...I will gladly except!
(humbly taking back my negative remarks about alpine in the past, with the hopes and so far proof of truly great steps taken by ALPINE and there new lines)
rexroadj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement