Alpine SWR-823D / 843D 8" Subwoofers - Page 5 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2011   #101

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 74 jamieholo11 will become famous soon enoughjamieholo11 will become famous soon enoughjamieholo11 will become famous soon enoughjamieholo11 will become famous soon enoughjamieholo11 will become famous soon enoughjamieholo11 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Alpine SWR-823D / 843D 8" Subwoofers

Really appreciate the experimenting if you do manage to compare the two scenarios. All this information and personal responses you give are above and beyond of what I have experienced in the past in terms of customer service. Cheers Jim!

2003 GMC Sierra 5.3l RCSB - Type R Components
2 Type R 10's
Phoenix Gold Amps
jamieholo11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2011   #102
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 155 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Jim....I think I am picking up one (for now) on Sunday (my only day off for a LONG time I have a center console tuned to 34 and is aprox. 1.3cuft already with a boston g5 10. Do you think that a pair of the 8s will prosper in this setup? It would be great because I can add a new 2x 8" baffle to go over the single ten...(its all downfiring so as long as it doesnt interfere with the bolts its an EASY swap out I will do a test box/boxes as a .65ish ported and a .4 sealed sample as well......If its worth while and I have the Power available....and I want to Build a whole new box I can do 3 sealed (two down firing and one rear) I have a boston gt2200 on tap for sub Power right now...900x1 at 2ohm. I presume this would be great for the pair..... Or I can do a GT2125 per sub giving about 650 each? I am a little leary doing two subs ported in a shared area with two different (but the same) amps?

Whats your take on my situation....I am really excited to beat the piss out of these for a while
rexroadj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2011   #103
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 116 manish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to manish

Jim I have a quick question. I read that you used these in a camaro as midbass. Care to elaborate on how they performed in that role? Also are there any plans to create a shallow version specifically for midbass/ door mount? And rexroadj how does these compare to the jblgto?

Melodic Acoustic Intimid8r and Faital Pro 3FE22,dayton amtpod-4, 1 SS TN1.1200D, will be looking for 1 SS Synthesis dsp, JBL W12GTIMKII
manish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2011   #104

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Rep Power: 90 jim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexroadj View Post
Hey Jim....I think I am picking up one (for now) on Sunday (my only day off for a LONG time I have a center console tuned to 34 and is aprox. 1.3cuft already with a boston g5 10. Do you think that a pair of the 8s will prosper in this setup? It would be great because I can add a new 2x 8" baffle to go over the single ten...(its all downfiring so as long as it doesnt interfere with the bolts its an EASY swap out I will do a test box/boxes as a .65ish ported and a .4 sealed sample as well......If its worth while and I have the Power available....and I want to Build a whole new box I can do 3 sealed (two down firing and one rear) I have a boston gt2200 on tap for sub Power right now...900x1 at 2ohm. I presume this would be great for the pair..... Or I can do a GT2125 per sub giving about 650 each? I am a little leary doing two subs ported in a shared area with two different (but the same) amps?

Whats your take on my situation....I am really excited to beat the piss out of these for a while
1.3@34Hz is great for a pair. Looking forward to the results in there.

I think your sealed box is a tad large, but may give you a little more extension. Have a~ .1 chunk of wood or foam handy to slap in the box to test it with a .3-.33 as well. I though they were a bit more fun in smaller enclosures.

650W RMS each will give you more than enough power to break them if you want, but that's what I've been running on them in my setup for a while now (M12) with no issue and only once did I smell engineer cologne. But, the dual amp setup in shared airspace is tricky. If you can verify they are putting out the same power with a couple of different test tones (try 20,40,60 and 100), then I don't see a problem with it and headroom is always a good thing

if you do this. it'll help you. some sunny day ...
jim walter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2011   #105

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Rep Power: 90 jim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish View Post
Jim I have a quick question. I read that you used these in a camaro as midbass. Care to elaborate on how they performed in that role? Also are there any plans to create a shallow version specifically for midbass/ door mount? And rexroadj how does these compare to the jblgto?
There will be no shallow version of these, sadly for me (cause I've already got it all drawn up and ready to proto!!!). They're 4.5" deep which is too deep for just about anything outside of a full side of Toyota FJ ... But the tiny .1-.2 enclosure does lend them to kick panel installs for te adventurous guys.

The feedback we received at CES as midbass/front subs was very positive. I know at least one member on here was able to hear that demo and really liked them as well.

My personal impression was that I was blown away how fast and powerful they were. Super detailed and dynamic. One of our test tracks was Billy Joel's "It's still rock and roll to me" and the drum pan at 1:25 is AMAZING on these, literally walking across the dashboard. A lot of the staging and placement comes from the processing we did with the H800, but the sound itself, the accuracy and the speed comes straight from the driver.

Jim

Old 04-16-2011   #106
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 155 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim walter View Post
1.3@34Hz is great for a pair. Looking forward to the results in there.

I think your sealed box is a tad large, but may give you a little more extension. Have a~ .1 chunk of wood or foam handy to slap in the box to test it with a .3-.33 as well. I though they were a bit more fun in smaller enclosures.

650W RMS each will give you more than enough Power to break them if you want, but that's what I've been running on them in my setup for a while now (M12) with no issue and only once did I smell engineer cologne. But, the dual amp setup in shared airspace is tricky. If you can verify they are putting out the same Power with a couple of different test tones (try 20,40,60 and 100), then I don't see a problem with it and headroom is always a good thing
Cool! I figured the 1.3 matched up pretty well for the pair.... I will start with that since its built already...just needs an additional baffle put over the one for the 10".
I was incorrect about the 3 sealed....I can actually do 4! 3 downfiring and one rear.... I dont "want" to go that route unless there would be DRASTIC gains?
I have no way to test the amps to ensure equal output so I will try a few different single amp options.....

I really want to get this project up and running but I have yet to hear back from 3 of the local dealers????????????? Its really frigging annoying. They have email addresses but dont respond? I work 70hrs a week and dont think to call during normal hours so I send emails asking for price and availability and if they are open on Sundays? (I have also found that the website schedules might not always be what the reality is
You know....You try and do things the right way and its still a pain in the ass? Could have ordered gray goods and probably already got them and for less????? Although I have terrible luck and its just not a risk I am usually willing to take
I promise to put up a review on them when done and will post a link here. I am really excited for this....Most excited I have been to try a new sub in a LONG LONG LONG time! Again...if its like the new 12" offering I am truly impressed! Tons of impact and accuracy.... They let me put a 12" in a prefab box in my truck for a day to play with it and I was in love with it just sitting on my backseat!!!

Manish: I will give my thoughts on it as soon as I get my hands on it. I love the JBL Gto8 (as everyone knows Its a phenominal budget sub and far out does its price point and "status". I have a feeling these little babies are going to be a substantial upgrade all around.... I hope anyway?
Old 04-16-2011   #107
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Quote:
650W RMS each will give you more than enough Power to break them if you want, but that's what I've been running on them in my setup for a while now (M12) with no issue and only once did I smell engineer cologne.
Also...... That is one of the funniest things I have ever heard!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Engineer cologne I may have to put that in my sig!!
Old 04-17-2011   #108

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 scout62 will become famous soon enoughscout62 will become famous soon enoughscout62 will become famous soon enoughscout62 will become famous soon enoughscout62 will become famous soon enoughscout62 will become famous soon enough

Curious about the grill, what kind of time frame are we looking at? I'm thinking a few of these need to go in to the cargo floor of my HHR but they need to be wife-proof.
scout62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2011   #109

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 107 eggyhustles will become famous soon enougheggyhustles will become famous soon enougheggyhustles will become famous soon enougheggyhustles will become famous soon enougheggyhustles will become famous soon enougheggyhustles will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout62 View Post
Curious about the grill, what kind of time frame are we looking at? I'm thinking a few of these need to go in to the cargo floor of my HHR but they need to be wife-proof.
Speaking of that, my mom punctured a hole into a morel ultimo with a shopping bag
eggyhustles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2011   #110
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 156 trojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggyhustles View Post
Speaking of that, my mom punctured a hole into a morel ultimo with a shopping bag

With a shopping bag...that sounds crazy....what was the bag made of?
trojan fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2011   #111

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout62 View Post
Looking like we are about 8 weeks out or less. My approval samples are on the way this week.

Jim

Old 04-19-2011   #112

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieholo11 View Post
I currently have two of the 1023d's behind the seat of my truck in smallish sealed boxes (.4cu ea or so) but really considering these eights. The idea is two in (~.5cu) ported boxes. Do you think I will be able to get louder with these eights ported vs tens sealed? I am running about 600wrms for both subs now and will probably run the same amp. I also am unsatisfied with my low end extension in the small sealed boxes, what sort of frequency response in comparison will i be able to achieve with these bad boys.
Haven't gotten there yet, been a rough week .. sorry. I will get to it this week though.

Old 04-19-2011   #113
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 144 JoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished road

What about a sealed Type R 10 vs a ported 8 off the sub channel off the new Xpower 5 channel?
JoeHemi57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2011   #114

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 107 eggyhustles will become famous soon enougheggyhustles will become famous soon enougheggyhustles will become famous soon enougheggyhustles will become famous soon enougheggyhustles will become famous soon enougheggyhustles will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojan fan View Post
With a shopping bag...that sounds crazy....what was the bag made of?
It was a thin plastic bag, but there was a sharp stick inside of it. She packed the trunk and that specific bad was leaning against the sub.

Last edited by eggyhustles; 04-22-2011 at 04:07 PM..
Old 04-22-2011   #115

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 77 thelbz will become famous soon enoughthelbz will become famous soon enoughthelbz will become famous soon enoughthelbz will become famous soon enoughthelbz will become famous soon enoughthelbz will become famous soon enough

Who hauls sticks in a trunk with a ultimo anyway? But has anyone got their hands on one of these 8's. I would love a review comparing them with the other top 8's on the market.
thelbz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2011   #116

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelbz View Post
Who hauls sticks in a trunk with a ultimo anyway? But has anyone got their hands on one of these 8's. I would love a review comparing them with the other top 8's on the market.
Someone who doesn't know what an ultimo is .

Gonna be installing these tomorrow. Can't wait
Old 04-22-2011   #117

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 113 St. Dark will become famous soon enoughSt. Dark will become famous soon enoughSt. Dark will become famous soon enoughSt. Dark will become famous soon enoughSt. Dark will become famous soon enoughSt. Dark will become famous soon enough

dangit...accidentally "dumb questioned" this..if you can retract that, mods, I'd appreciate it.
St. Dark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2011   #118

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 77 thelbz will become famous soon enoughthelbz will become famous soon enoughthelbz will become famous soon enoughthelbz will become famous soon enoughthelbz will become famous soon enoughthelbz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Someone who doesn't know what an ultimo is .

Gonna be installing these tomorrow. Can't wait
What type of set up are you going with? And what are you currently running that will be replaced.
thelbz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2011   #119

DIYMA Novice

4 8's in .5 per sealed. Power will be provided by an alpine m12, so 300 per driver.

It's replacing 3 ported sundown sa 8's. Power was a sundown 1500d

haven't decided i'm if going to leave the front stage the way it is or go with something new.

Front stage is

2 id xs65's per door
b&c de500 horns + id full horn bodies
JL hd 600/4 for the xs65's and a sundown 125.2 for the horns
Old 04-22-2011   #120

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Quote:
Haven't gotten there yet, been a rough week .. sorry. I will get to it this week though.
Done.

Honestly, closer than I thought it would be.

Power = PDX M12

843D .55 @ 35Hz
1043D 0.48 sealed

Songs: Grove St Party, All of the Lights, Aston Martin Music

One thing to recognize is that these woofers are roughly the same efficiency, so they are very evenly matched at mid listening levels until you get into a track with solid 30-40Hz energy. The ported box walks away at that point, however, with enough Power on tap, the extra excursion (read stronger motor at the same stroke, more efficient at SPL) the 10" catches up. I'm taking 800-1000W, but the 10 sealed surprised me that it could kind of "come back" as the volume increased, even if it gets a bit dirty at this ridiculous excursion level.

In the end, the 10 can get louder from 50Hz up and 25Hz down, but (just as with any) the ported box can wreck it in the 30-50 range.

As far as speed and accuracy, the 8 is more controlled than 10, even when ported, pretty awesome to my ears. The 10 sounds great though, not dogging it .. Instead I was surprised how well it could keep up in a tiny sealed box.

Hope that helps
Jim

Old 04-22-2011   #121

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Quote:
4 8's in .5 per sealed. Power will be provided by an alpine m12, so 300 per driver.

It's replacing 3 ported sundown sa 8's. Power was a sundown 1500d

haven't decided i'm if going to leave the front stage the way it is or go with something new.

Front stage is

2 id xs65's per door
b&c de500 horns + id full horn bodies
JL hd 600/4 for the xs65's and a sundown 125.2 for the horns
That box is massive per woofer, any reason you're going so big? I'd drop down to .35

If you're going that big, port them @31-33Hz you'll love it

Jim

Old 04-22-2011   #122

DIYMA Novice

Figured better low end extension

so .5 ported would work?
Old 04-22-2011   #123

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Quote:
Figured better low end extension

so .5 ported would work?
That's 0.5 net after port displacement, but yes. I prefer the ported install. I guess I need to know how loud you're trying to get and how much you are going to miss the sound of flat extension down into the low 30s vs. sealed.

Have you had sealed woofers in your system before? If yes, then you know what to expect .. just don't want to have you disappointed when you're roll-off starts at 50 vs. 30Hz

The fact that they remain well composed and sound great ported pushes me to recommend you to try ported first.

You can see my box in the pictures. It is 0.59 each before I put the woofer into the box. Going down to 0.50 would lose 1-2dB between 30-40Hz, but it'll still be a great setup.

All of that said, 4 sealed would be an absolutely awesome setup for SQ, coupled with that amp ... I know you'll be very content with it.

Old 04-22-2011   #124

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 74 jamieholo11 will become famous soon enoughjamieholo11 will become famous soon enoughjamieholo11 will become famous soon enoughjamieholo11 will become famous soon enoughjamieholo11 will become famous soon enoughjamieholo11 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the post Jim. Looks like my dealer is going to get a call on Tuesday . The only other thing is what is your port area and length. I am going to try and mimic what you have built(box size and tuning... maybe a touch lower tuning). Looks like I am going to bite the bullet and push some more Power to the subs too.

2003 GMC Sierra 5.3l RCSB - Type R Components
2 Type R 10's
Phoenix Gold Amps
jamieholo11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2011   #125

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieholo11 View Post
Thanks for the post Jim. Looks like my dealer is going to get a call on Tuesday . The only other thing is what is your port area and length. I am going to try and mimic what you have built(box size and tuning... maybe a touch lower tuning). Looks like I am going to bite the bullet and push some more Power to the subs too.
I'm using tiny ports 5.25in^2 at 16.25", 1/2 roundover on the exit and the inside edge, no bends. The issue you are going to have with the small box is the length of the port. It's not a problem once you get into a shared chamber (even with just two), but as a single woofer box, the port gets long in a hurry.

For you're box .. I'd run dual 823Ds in a total of 1.3 cubes (net) tuned at 33Hz.

12.5 in^2 of port (4" round equivalent) at 21.5" long. This should be a hell of a setup, linear and powerful down to just about 30Hz, you'll run into the limits right at ~500W each.

Last edited by jim walter; 04-22-2011 at 07:16 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement