Alpine SWR-823D / 843D 8" Subwoofers - Page 6 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2011   #126
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 158 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: Alpine SWR-823D / 843D 8" Subwoofers

God damn!!!!!!!!!!!! I work 70hrs a week and cant get to the local shop to pick up my F'ing subs.....Sunday is my only break (price you pay to have your name on the door sometimes and they are closed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I might just see if they can drop them off or ship them because they are like 15 miles away....
All the pics and talk is KILLING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rexroadj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2011   #127

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Rep Power: 93 jim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enough

Sorry to hear that, but I want to say thank you for supporting your local dealer.

Here's hoping they'll help you out and drop them off for you!
Jim

if you do this. it'll help you. some sunny day ...
jim walter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2011   #128
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 158 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not worried about it...They're great guys! I would rather go when I have time to shoot the shit. They ordered them for me and I call all the time to apologize for not taking them yet and offer to pay over the phone everytime..... I am awaiting the arival of the h800 and 910....they are also aware of this as well

Old 04-22-2011   #129

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 110 eggyhustles will become famous soon enougheggyhustles will become famous soon enougheggyhustles will become famous soon enougheggyhustles will become famous soon enougheggyhustles will become famous soon enougheggyhustles will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim walter View Post
That's 0.5 net after port displacement, but yes. I prefer the ported install. I guess I need to know how loud you're trying to get and how much you are going to miss the sound of flat extension down into the low 30s vs. sealed.

Have you had sealed woofers in your system before? If yes, then you know what to expect .. just don't want to have you disappointed when you're roll-off starts at 50 vs. 30Hz

The fact that they remain well composed and sound great ported pushes me to recommend you to try ported first.

You can see my box in the pictures. It is 0.59 each before I put the woofer into the box. Going down to 0.50 would lose 1-2dB between 30-40Hz, but it'll still be a great setup.

All of that said, 4 sealed would be an absolutely awesome setup for SQ, coupled with that amp ... I know you'll be very content with it.
I have some credit at home depot, so i'll build 2 boxes and see which one i end up liking. Gonna take your advice and try ported out first.
eggyhustles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2011   #130

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 77 jamieholo11 will become famous soon enoughjamieholo11 will become famous soon enoughjamieholo11 will become famous soon enoughjamieholo11 will become famous soon enoughjamieholo11 will become famous soon enoughjamieholo11 will become famous soon enough

My plan was to build separate boxes as my amp will be mounted in the center behind the center console. For each box here are the planned dimensions... 12.5H X 22W X 6D1 X 8D2. Works out to .77cu on bcae1.com. So I have enough room for the port but making a corner may cause some port noise no? Port noise was the main reason I went from one ported 10 to two sealed but I miss my low end extension.

2003 GMC Sierra 5.3l RCSB - Type R Components
2 Type R 10's
Phoenix Gold Amps
jamieholo11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2011   #131
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 125 Salami is on a distinguished roadSalami is on a distinguished roadSalami is on a distinguished roadSalami is on a distinguished roadSalami is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Dark View Post
dangit...accidentally "dumb questioned" this..if you can retract that, mods, I'd appreciate it.

Click it again and it will go away.
Salami is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2011   #132

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Rep Power: 93 jim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieholo11 View Post
My plan was to build separate boxes as my amp will be mounted in the center behind the center console. For each box here are the planned dimensions... 12.5H X 22W X 6D1 X 8D2. Works out to .77cu on bcae1.com. So I have enough room for the port but making a corner may cause some port noise no? Port noise was the main reason I went from one ported 10 to two sealed but I miss my low end extension.
You're fine. Run the port along the top or bottom, offsetting the woofer on that 12.5" face to get the port to fit along that 22" side. Do a 4.5"ish x 1.xx to get the 5-6 in^2 and you're golden.

Old 04-22-2011   #133
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 147 JoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Done.

Honestly, closer than I thought it would be.

Power = PDX M12

843D .55 @ 35Hz
1043D 0.48 sealed

Songs: Grove St Party, All of the Lights, Aston Martin Music

One thing to recognize is that these woofers are roughly the same efficiency, so they are very evenly matched at mid listening levels until you get into a track with solid 30-40Hz energy. The ported box walks away at that point, however, with enough power on tap, the extra excursion (read stronger motor at the same stroke, more efficient at SPL) the 10" catches up. I'm taking 800-1000W, but the 10 sealed surprised me that it could kind of "come back" as the volume increased, even if it gets a bit dirty at this ridiculous excursion level.

In the end, the 10 can get louder from 50Hz up and 25Hz down, but (just as with any) the ported box can wreck it in the 30-50 range.

As far as speed and accuracy, the 8 is more controlled than 10, even when ported, pretty awesome to my ears. The 10 sounds great though, not dogging it .. Instead I was surprised how well it could keep up in a tiny sealed box.

Hope that helps
Jim
Thanks for getting to that i appreciate the info.
JoeHemi57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2011   #134

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Problemhouston will become famous soon enoughProblemhouston will become famous soon enoughProblemhouston will become famous soon enoughProblemhouston will become famous soon enoughProblemhouston will become famous soon enoughProblemhouston will become famous soon enough

Ok now I'm really confused. I listen to everything from hip hop to country with Metallica, Nickelback, and Third Eye Blind mixed in. I really like the low end stuff. With the total interior volume of the box at .50 to .54. Which would get me output with 600 watts on tap?

Pair of the 8's sealed?
Single 8 ported (how big/long should the port be?)
Or a single 1043 sealed?
Problemhouston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2011   #135

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

I think that the pair of 8's sealed is going to take the cake on that one, especially with that kind of music. 2 8s in ~0.25-0.3ish each sealed, will have the most headroom, the best sensitivity and the least power compression. Overall total enclosure size is pretty similar with the 2x8 vs 1x10 sealed, but the 8s give you the flexibility to make separate, much shallower and smaller boxes and hide them under the seats (if they fit).

However, if you are REALLY into the low end stuff, there is no replacement for the LF extension of a vented box ... even 2 sealed vs 1 ported, the vented box is going to dig lower on most music content (vented has 6dB more output at 30Hz compared to 1 sealed). Just be careful with 600W, as that's enough power in the long term to do some damage to a single 8" ... which kind of pushes me back to my first suggestion of 2 8s sealed

Old 04-25-2011   #136

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Problemhouston will become famous soon enoughProblemhouston will become famous soon enoughProblemhouston will become famous soon enoughProblemhouston will become famous soon enoughProblemhouston will become famous soon enoughProblemhouston will become famous soon enough

Then a pair of 8's it is. Now I'm wondering if I'm going to run into problems mounting the in the center of the truck facing opposite directions? Do you see any problems with this?
Old 04-25-2011   #137

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Problemhouston View Post
Then a pair of 8's it is. Now I'm wondering if I'm going to run into problems mounting the in the center of the truck facing opposite directions? Do you see any problems with this?
It's actually a really good setup for SQ as it cancels out vibration. The only downside is you take away a bit of impact, as you no longer have the combined mass of the cones working together as a vibrator to the chassis (think; chair or floor mounted rumblers like the old Clark synthesis thingy).

End result, less impact/slam from vibration, better SQ.

Old 04-25-2011   #138

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
It's actually a really good setup for SQ as it cancels out vibration. The only downside is you take away a bit of impact, as you no longer have the combined mass of the cones working together as a vibrator to the chassis (think; chair or floor mounted rumblers like the old Clark synthesis thingy).

End result, less impact/slam from vibration, better SQ.
That settles it then. Thanks for all your help Jim.
Old 04-25-2011   #139
Classifieds Access

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 78 KENNEY will become famous soon enoughKENNEY will become famous soon enoughKENNEY will become famous soon enoughKENNEY will become famous soon enoughKENNEY will become famous soon enoughKENNEY will become famous soon enough

Great subs here guys. I stuck a couple in both of my rides in tiny sealed enclosures (.35 or so) and they really surprised the hell out of me, even with minimal power going to them. I am a long time fan of small drivers on bass. I have experience with a hand full of 8" drivers out there (Sundown, MTX, Focal, Morel, CDT, JL, ULTRA). I will be hosting a shootout very soon

But first impressions are very good. I have yet to try these in ported enclosures

Thanks for participating in the forum Jim, and thanks for your personal recommendations. As you said before, these are very fun drivers!

The first pic is my MINI Cooper, second, is my F350.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo-3.jpg (41.5 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg photo-1.jpg (65.9 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (56.0 KB, 261 views)

Don't let my "post-count" fool you.
KENNEY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2011   #140
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Got to touch/feel/see but not hear a few the other day at a shop.... REALLY REALLY nice looking drivers....Extremely well made!

Cant wait to play with'em!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-25-2011   #141
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 150 fish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enough

Just a couple huh Kenney?

I bet the sextet sounds really nice. I've always wanted to do 6-8 8" subs.

P01 - HD600/4(2) - T1500-1bdCP - LPG 26NA - Peerless NE95W - Usher 1001B - Soloclassic 15(2)
fish is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2011   #142

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNEY View Post
Great subs here guys. I stuck a couple in both of my rides in tiny sealed enclosures (.35 or so) and they really surprised the hell out of me, even with minimal power going to them. I am a long time fan of small drivers on bass. I have experience with a hand full of 8" drivers out there (Sundown, MTX, Focal, Morel, CDT, JL, ULTRA). I will be hosting a shootout very soon

But first impressions are very good. I have yet to try these in ported enclosures

Thanks for participating in the forum Jim, and thanks for your personal recommendations. As you said before, these are very fun drivers!

The first pic is my MINI Cooper, second, is my F350.
AWESOME!! Glad to hear some initial feedback (and that it is positive). Wait till you get them ported, that's where the fun begins. Nice box btw.

Side note; We've got a Tundra we are getting ready to put 8 of them in. TWICE Thats right, 16 8s in a Tundra without even moving the seat at all. This will be replacing 3 ported 12s on 4kW ... Needless to say I'm excited.

Old 04-25-2011   #143

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexroadj View Post
Got to touch/feel/see but not hear a few the other day at a shop.... REALLY REALLY nice looking drivers....Extremely well made!

Cant wait to play with'em!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks I really liked the way these ones turned out cosmetically, chunky but purposeful.

Old 04-25-2011   #144

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 80 keanuration will become famous soon enoughkeanuration will become famous soon enoughkeanuration will become famous soon enoughkeanuration will become famous soon enoughkeanuration will become famous soon enoughkeanuration will become famous soon enough

after following this thread I want to ditch my setup kicker L7 8 in a rather large ported box .9 cubes and huge port requirement compared to this 8. I'm all about conserving crucial trunk space now with another baby. So should I aim for .6 cubes tuned @ 35 hz for hip-hop & rock? I am really wanting to get my hands on this one.
keanuration is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2011   #145

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 75 TypeR will become famous soon enoughTypeR will become famous soon enoughTypeR will become famous soon enoughTypeR will become famous soon enoughTypeR will become famous soon enoughTypeR will become famous soon enough

It looks like this sub is perfect for my limited trunk space. I see people wanting to throw huge power at these...will 200W RMS be enough to get decent sound? I'm not looking for a powerhouse sub here, just something to fill in a bit of bass.
Jim - for those box volumes you calculated, was that 0.3 ft^3 with or without the volumetric displacement of the sub?
Thanks
TypeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2011   #146

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeR View Post
It looks like this sub is perfect for my limited trunk space. I see people wanting to throw huge power at these...will 200W RMS be enough to get decent sound? I'm not looking for a powerhouse sub here, just something to fill in a bit of bass.
Jim - for those box volumes you calculated, was that 0.3 ft^3 with or without the volumetric displacement of the sub?
Thanks
That was after sub, but 0.25 isn't going to affect anything if that's all you have.

Old 04-28-2011   #147

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

I know this isn't very DIYMA relevant, but Alpine Is hosting an event this weekend for dB drag and low rider show ..... But I'll be there and I'd be happy do demo the Camaro or Jeep for anyone this Sunday

Old 04-28-2011   #148
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 121 The Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the rough

Not a happy bunny; Alpine Europe has decided not to bring these into Europe the UK! I have already petitioned them to bring them in, if there are any other UK/Euro users on here who'd like them without the hassle of importing yourself please PM me your email address with SWR8 in the title and I will forward it to my contact at Alpine to see what can be done!

Kenny's Mini reminded me of an install I did for a customer with the Type R 12s-he had to have 2 of them in his Cooper S-though the car pictured is actually mine:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuickGN View Post
Regardless, I agree with Baron

Last edited by The Baron Groog; 06-18-2012 at 04:07 AM..
The Baron Groog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2011   #149

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 80 Offroader5 will become famous soon enoughOffroader5 will become famous soon enoughOffroader5 will become famous soon enoughOffroader5 will become famous soon enoughOffroader5 will become famous soon enoughOffroader5 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
That's 0.5 net after port displacement, but yes. I prefer the ported install.

You can see my box in the pictures. It is 0.59 each before I put the woofer into the box. Going down to 0.50 would lose 1-2dB between 30-40Hz, but it'll still be a great setup.
I really want to try one of these in my 4Runner. It has a .6 cu OEM sealed enclosure in the rear quarter. Question is, what do you recommend for port size & length if I used tube? I can easily add a port to this enclosure but it may need to have an elbow depending on length requirement.

EDIT: Ok, so by my calculations...for a 37hz tune on .6 cu enclosure using a 1.5" tube...it would need to be 4.7" long. Is that right?

Last edited by Offroader5; 04-28-2011 at 07:15 PM..
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2011   #150

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 80 thelbz will become famous soon enoughthelbz will become famous soon enoughthelbz will become famous soon enoughthelbz will become famous soon enoughthelbz will become famous soon enoughthelbz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroader5 View Post
I really want to try one of these in my 4Runner. It has a .6 cu OEM sealed enclosure in the rear quarter. Question is, what do you recommend for port size & length if I used tube? I can easily add a port to this enclosure but it may need to have an elbow depending on length requirement.

EDIT: Ok, so by my calculations...for a 37hz tune on .6 cu enclosure using a 1.5" tube...it would need to be 4.7" long. Is that right?
That is correct. Tell him what he's won Jim....
thelbz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement