Alpine SWR-823D / 843D 8" Subwoofers - Page 8 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2011   #176

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 79 thelbz will become famous soon enoughthelbz will become famous soon enoughthelbz will become famous soon enoughthelbz will become famous soon enoughthelbz will become famous soon enoughthelbz will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Alpine SWR-823D / 843D 8" Subwoofers

I got a 823d this weekend for $99 but it doesnt fit perfectly so going to have to Build a new enclosure. its .7^3 tuned @34hz. It has some port noise but does get loud with 400w running it. I would like to know how many square inches of port to use for the new box to reduce port noise and still play loud and low.
thelbz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2011   #177

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Rep Power: 92 jim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelbz View Post
I got a 823d this weekend for $99 but it doesnt fit perfectly so going to have to Build a new enclosure. its .7^3 tuned @34hz. It has some port noise but does get loud with 400w running it. I would like to know how many square inches of port to use for the new box to reduce port noise and still play loud and low.
Don't bend the port and you can go as low as 5in^2. I'd do 7in^2 but it starts to get a tad long. Depends on the shape of the box but with these small of vents I really recommend against bent ports. If you're gonna bend it, go bigger.

if you do this. it'll help you. some sunny day ...
jim walter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2011   #178

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 79 thelbz will become famous soon enoughthelbz will become famous soon enoughthelbz will become famous soon enoughthelbz will become famous soon enoughthelbz will become famous soon enoughthelbz will become famous soon enough

It's at 4.68 square inches and isn't bent. Thanks for the info Jim

Old 05-17-2011   #179
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 147 nineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the roughnineball is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer Function View Post
Just wanted to post the TS parameters of these woofers for non-DIYMA members...since I couldn't find them anywhere:
on diyma?

Freedom of speech includes the freedom to offend people. - Brad Thor
nineball is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2011   #180
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 144 rommelrommel is a name known to allrommelrommel is a name known to allrommelrommel is a name known to allrommelrommel is a name known to allrommelrommel is a name known to allrommelrommel is a name known to allrommelrommel is a name known to allrommelrommel is a name known to allrommelrommel is a name known to allrommelrommel is a name known to allrommelrommel is a name known to all

What's the driver displacement on the 8?
rommelrommel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2011   #181

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 75 Ferazzz will become famous soon enoughFerazzz will become famous soon enoughFerazzz will become famous soon enoughFerazzz will become famous soon enoughFerazzz will become famous soon enoughFerazzz will become famous soon enough

Man I've always wanted to install a dual 8" setup and I don't know why.....although I only have around 500-550rms i'm sure it can still sound decent in 2.0cubic feet sealed for too
Ferazzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2011   #182
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 157 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferazzz View Post
Man I've always wanted to install a dual 8" setup and I don't know why.....although I only have around 500-550rms i'm sure it can still sound decent in 2.0cubic feet sealed for too
WAY WAY WAY WAY too big for a pair!
rexroadj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2011   #183

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Rep Power: 92 jim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexroadj View Post
Yeah. That's the proper enclosure for ~6-8 of these

500-550rms is great Power for a pair though, as these are quite sensitive as a pair (more than most 12s).

I'd recommend using the space you have to Build a nice vented enclosure for them if youre up for it.

Old 05-18-2011   #184

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 79 keanuration will become famous soon enoughkeanuration will become famous soon enoughkeanuration will become famous soon enoughkeanuration will become famous soon enoughkeanuration will become famous soon enoughkeanuration will become famous soon enough

hey jim,

I like my music low and loud. So what should I tune my .8 cubes enclosure to?
keanuration is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2011   #185

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 75 Ferazzz will become famous soon enoughFerazzz will become famous soon enoughFerazzz will become famous soon enoughFerazzz will become famous soon enoughFerazzz will become famous soon enoughFerazzz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Reall? Because with my one ten Alpine recommends 0.6, and I went 1.25 and man was I happy I did. It hit low and deep. Now I just came back from listening to my JL 12W6V2 in 1.5 sealed and am extatic!!!!! However I still want some 8's and don't know why They must sound incredible with all types of music.....
Old 05-18-2011   #186
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 157 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferazzz View Post
Reall? Because with my one ten Alpine recommends 0.6, and I went 1.25 and man was I happy I did. It hit low and deep. Now I just came back from listening to my JL 12W6V2 in 1.5 sealed and am extatic!!!!! However I still want some 8's and don't know why They must sound incredible with all types of music.....
Well dont listen to me.....BUT YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO THE GUY THAT ENGINEERED THEM! If you buy them you can do anything you want...they are yours. I agree, there are several subs that I have had better results with larger then recommended boxes, but i think your #s are a little to large.
I LOVE 8s myself
Old 05-18-2011   #187
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

These 8's are really built for small box. Correct me if I am wrong Jim, but the #s seem to lend itself to this theory and going larger will greatly change the Power handling ability (as with most larger boxes= less power). I would go ported to take advantage of the lower range. They are going to have a shit ton of impact for 8s regardless!
Old 05-18-2011   #188

DIYMA freshman

Well im going to look into the 8's because I have a thing for 8's lol but thanks for the info
Old 05-18-2011   #189

DIYMA freshman

However this JL12w6 is so musical thats its hard to give it up........
Old 05-18-2011   #190
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

w6 is a great sub!!!
Old 05-18-2011   #191

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 0 usmcsoldriver will become famous soon enoughusmcsoldriver will become famous soon enoughusmcsoldriver will become famous soon enoughusmcsoldriver will become famous soon enoughusmcsoldriver will become famous soon enoughusmcsoldriver will become famous soon enough

I am thinking of replacing my type x 10 with a pair of r 8s.
The ten is in the cabin in a sealed enclosure. A Honda Del Sol btw
The idea is to have the 8s in the cabin behind the seats with ports that go back through the rear fenders to the trunk. Further Seperating me from the back wave of the sub.

Thoughts?

I listen to many types of music and my focus is SQ. however i do enjoy alot of bass at times :-)
usmcsoldriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2011   #192

DIYMA freshman

Would 8's be able to also hit those low notes? Dual 8's must be very nice for sq but what about getting loud and low..I guess it depends on the box..
Old 05-19-2011   #193
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 144 rommelrommel is a name known to allrommelrommel is a name known to allrommelrommel is a name known to allrommelrommel is a name known to allrommelrommel is a name known to allrommelrommel is a name known to allrommelrommel is a name known to allrommelrommel is a name known to allrommelrommel is a name known to allrommelrommel is a name known to allrommelrommel is a name known to all

I don't think porting them into the trunk is going to do what you want, I would IB them if anything.
rommelrommel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2011   #194

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 106 91dime will become famous soon enough91dime will become famous soon enough91dime will become famous soon enough91dime will become famous soon enough91dime will become famous soon enough91dime will become famous soon enough

I ordered my type r today from cruthfield, should be here Tuesday! I can't wait, I'm going into overdrive to get the box done.

96 S10 3 way active 13 Golf R
91 s10 4 way active 11 Gti autobahn
91dime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2011   #195

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcsoldriver View Post
I am thinking of replacing my type x 10 with a pair of r 8s.
The ten is in the cabin in a sealed enclosure. A Honda Del Sol btw
The idea is to have the 8s in the cabin behind the seats with ports that go back through the rear fenders to the trunk. Further Seperating me from the back wave of the sub.

Thoughts?

I listen to many types of music and my focus is SQ. however i do enjoy alot of bass at times :-)
I would not separate the ports into the trunk.

A vented box does not send the back-wave of the woofer out of the port, so don't worry about that.

Two 8s vented into the cabin would be a great setup for you. But, can you fit 2x 0.5-0.6 + vent boxes ?

Old 05-19-2011   #196

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Transfer Function will become famous soon enoughTransfer Function will become famous soon enoughTransfer Function will become famous soon enoughTransfer Function will become famous soon enoughTransfer Function will become famous soon enoughTransfer Function will become famous soon enough

nineball,

My fault, I didn't mean to confuse you or anyone else with my post.

You're right, the TS parameters are posted on DIYMA (courtesy of Jim Walter of Alpine Electronics), but as an attachment that only DIYMA members can access. My intent was to re-list the provided parameters so that anyone who doesn't have a DIYMA membership, or would prefer to remain a guest to this forum, can view them.

As of right now, I still can't find a PDF document that lists the parameters, dimensional measurements, and recommended enclosures for these drivers. Crutchfield's product pages for these drivers links an owner's manual that is not up to date, and searches conducted on Alpine's website were fruitless. I figured maybe someone could find utility in my post until somebody updates their servers.

usmcsoldriver,

Have you thought about sacrificing some passenger legroom and putting the two eights in the foot-well? If your Del Sol's passenger foot-well dimensions are similar to that of a sixth-generation Civic's, you can probably squeeze a 0.45-0.50 cubic foot enclosure in there. Add a bit of boost in the sub-40 Hz region and you'd probably like how it sounds; that's basically what I'm working on in a two door 00' Civic. Cabin focused bass with minimized trunk rattling.

My 0.5 cubic foot test sealed enclosure with two JBL GTO804s (with 600 Watts on tap from a JL audio XD600/1) positioned in the passenger footwell returned very good results, particularly in the midbass region. However, one of my JBLs developed a voicecoil defect and had to be sent in for an exchange. 300 Watts to each JBL was probably pushing it, but they had a nice punch to them.

Two SWR-823Ds seem to fit the replacement bill but I'm still debating between these and some Polk MM840s, no disrespect Jim. I've been modeling a variety of eight inch subwoofers with WinISD Alpha and I might even consider a single SWR-843D in a 0.4 cubic foot passive radiator setup, even if there's a steep reduction in midbass.
Transfer Function is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2011   #197

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

I have a copy of the O/M, but it is too large to upload here. I've passed it along to IT to upload to the website, but I'm sure that'll sit in the queue for a good week. Let me know if you need it and I can email it to you.

Jim

Old 05-20-2011   #198

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Quote:
These 8's are really built for small box. Correct me if I am wrong Jim, but the #s seem to lend itself to this theory and going larger will greatly change the Power handling ability (as with most larger boxes= less power). I would go ported to take advantage of the lower range. They are going to have a shit ton of impact for 8s regardless!
Correct. They are optimized for "typical" Car audio bass (0.8-0.9 QTC) in very small boxes.

What the guy above heard when he went to the bigger box was a lower QTC, more like 0.6-0.7 ... more musical, but not as punchy as typical Car audio customers like.

You'll lose a bit of Power handling with a bigger box, but not too much ... its more of a sonic difference losing a little impact. In fact, during our CES Roadshow Trainings, we demonstrated what kind of real power handling these have with a PDX-M6 at full clip (~760W) free air with a 15Hz tone .. they'll take that for more than 20 minutes before making any magic smoke

Old 05-20-2011   #199
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim walter View Post
In fact, during our CES Roadshow Trainings, we demonstrated what kind of real Power handling these have with a PDX-M6 at full clip (~760W) free air with a 15Hz tone .. they'll take that for more than 20 minutes before making any magic smoke
Congrats!!!!!!!!!! You made a freak of nature 8"
On behalf of the Car audio world......THANK YOU
Old 05-21-2011   #200

DIYMA freshman

I cant wait to start on a new box for my swr-823. I think im going to go with a box that extends my center console into the rear passenger area. The basket hits on the inside of the under seat box I have now.
What direction would you face the port? UP into the headliner area, to the left or right towards the rear doors, or back to the rear wall of the cab?
This is in a Double Cab tundra BTW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement