Alpine SWR-823D / 843D 8" Subwoofers - Page 9 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2011   #201
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 157 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: Alpine SWR-823D / 843D 8" Subwoofers

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelbz View Post
I cant wait to start on a new box for my swr-823. I think im going to go with a box that extends my center console into the rear passenger area. The basket hits on the inside of the under seat box I have now.
What direction would you face the port? UP into the headliner area, to the left or right towards the rear doors, or back to the rear wall of the cab?
This is in a Double Cab tundra BTW
Search out Clineselects dodge ram install/build log!!!!!!! It is absolutely amazing and he has done COUNTLESS designs for the center console and the ideas/concepts should easily pass for most trucks. I asked him the EXACT same question before I built my ported box in my truck (ram) and he said he had best results with it facing the dash. I did the same thing and have had excellent results...BUT I wish I had tried rear and bottom facing ports as well. I may Build a scrap test box to try other options out myself...I suggest you do the same, but front facing is pretty damn good
rexroadj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2011   #202
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 157 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh hell, I'll just do it for ya....EVERYONE NEEDS TO SEE THIS!

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...ll-thread.html

Its a lot of pages but in my opinion this is in the top 5 most important, informative, and eye pleasing threads in the whole diyma website! If you own a truck you HAVE to see this. It will completely change what you thought was possible in a truck!! IMO of course
Old 05-21-2011   #203

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 0 usmcsoldriver will become famous soon enoughusmcsoldriver will become famous soon enoughusmcsoldriver will become famous soon enoughusmcsoldriver will become famous soon enoughusmcsoldriver will become famous soon enoughusmcsoldriver will become famous soon enough

I already sacrifice leg room but from the back. The box keeps the seat from going back all the way. You surely cant lean it back.

I guess i just need to wait for the day that my rear window stops working and i use that wall to mount 2 type x 10" ib into my trunk which ill seal off.
usmcsoldriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011   #204

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 0 usmcsoldriver will become famous soon enoughusmcsoldriver will become famous soon enoughusmcsoldriver will become famous soon enoughusmcsoldriver will become famous soon enoughusmcsoldriver will become famous soon enoughusmcsoldriver will become famous soon enough

I already sacrifice leg room but from the back. The box keeps the seat from going back all the way. You surely cant lean it back.

I guess i just need to wait for the day that my rear window stops working and i use that wall to mount 2 type x 10" ib into my trunk which ill seal off.
usmcsoldriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2011   #205
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 158 trojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91dime View Post
I ordered my type r today from cruthfield, should be here Tuesday! I can't wait, I'm going into overdrive to get the box done.
Why did you do that? Al and Ed's has them for $108 shipped and a authorized dealer
trojan fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2011   #206

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 106 91dime will become famous soon enough91dime will become famous soon enough91dime will become famous soon enough91dime will become famous soon enough91dime will become famous soon enough91dime will become famous soon enough

I didn't know that? I have no local dealers, ad I've had luck with Crutchfield. I know their overpriced, but I have their Sony financial card that's 6 Montserrat same as cash; which helps me out alot right now being fresh out of college.

I got a thick gel coat on my box to get it close to being smooth. I'm going to sand it down today and get a layer of filler on it. I've decided on doing it in vinyl.

My type R and my HAT image 6.5s should be here tomorrow! Can't wait!!!

96 S10 3 way active 13 Golf R
91 s10 4 way active 11 Gti autobahn
91dime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2011   #207
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 158 trojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant future

Sounds good..... good luck with your build
trojan fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2011   #208

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 106 91dime will become famous soon enough91dime will become famous soon enough91dime will become famous soon enough91dime will become famous soon enough91dime will become famous soon enough91dime will become famous soon enough

Thanks!

I got the sub today;

Old 05-24-2011   #209
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

I'm hoping I can get mine in this weekend!
Let us know how yours works out
Old 05-25-2011   #210
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Going to see if I can get mine in tomorrow. Been on bedrest for a few days now because of a neck/back spinal injury and going stir crazy! Starting to feel a little more mobile and really want to get these puppies in! Going to cut the new baffles in the am. and hope that I can just paste the new baffle over the 10" one thats already there and the bolts that hold the center console in place are long enough? I really dont want to Build another box
Have to see how I feel?
Old 05-25-2011   #211

DIYMA Novice

I hope you heal up quick so you can give us a good review on it!

Old 05-26-2011   #212
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Ok, I am in a TON of pain right now BUT!!!!!!!!!!! Review will be posted later today

Jim.....I would give you a hug if I were near you! The 8" game is OVER! Alpine just won it To summerize.....I have never touched, heard, seen, and 8" sub like this in my life and I have tried MANY! There are louder 8s (but they are very loud) there may be a sub or two that would test better in the sq arena (doubt it though) BUT I have not had one that does it all..... Its an idmax, w7, GTI, or more appropriate....Type X..........8" sub!!!! I am in love with my two already!!
THANK YOU JIM AND ALPINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-26-2011   #213

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Rep Power: 92 jim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexroadj View Post
Ok, I am in a TON of pain right now BUT!!!!!!!!!!! Review will be posted later today

Jim.....I would give you a hug if I were near you! The 8" game is OVER! Alpine just won it To summerize.....I have never touched, heard, seen, and 8" sub like this in my life and I have tried MANY! There are louder 8s (but they are very loud) there may be a sub or two that would test better in the sq arena (doubt it though) BUT I have not had one that does it all..... Its an idmax, w7, GTI, or more appropriate....Type X..........8" sub!!!! I am in love with my two already!!
THANK YOU JIM AND ALPINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You just put a big smile on my face Rex!! I'm going to share this around with some of our guys that helped with this project, who knows you may even be poster board material here at Alpine USA HQ. Let me know when you get some pics of it all installed and email them to me first letter of my name and full last name combined at alpine dash USA dot com.

if you do this. it'll help you. some sunny day ...
jim walter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2011   #214
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 118 manish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to manish

Rex you need to call me asap! Lol

Melodic Acoustic Intimid8r and Faital Pro 3FE22,dayton amtpod-4, 1 SS TN1.1200D, will be looking for 1 SS Synthesis dsp, JBL W12GTIMKII
manish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2011   #215
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish View Post
Rex you need to call me asap! Lol
Give me a time to call tomorrow.
Today is not good
Old 05-26-2011   #216
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 118 manish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Give me a time to call tomorrow.
Today is not good
Any time you feel up to it call.

Melodic Acoustic Intimid8r and Faital Pro 3FE22,dayton amtpod-4, 1 SS TN1.1200D, will be looking for 1 SS Synthesis dsp, JBL W12GTIMKII
Old 05-26-2011   #217
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

I will do my initial write up in a little while and post the link to it here for anyone that wants to read my usual long winded nonsense?

I will warn you now...I didnt, and cant do the frequency range you asked for because of the limitation of xovers in my truck at this moment, add to that the low freq ported box...I wont get into it all here but I will have to Build a new box to fit the center console brackets....The two 8s next to each other the way I have them right now wont fit properly....Its ok because I want to change the tuning frequency.....
Old 05-26-2011   #218
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

God knows I'm down for long winded reviews...

Old 05-26-2011   #219
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Alpine SWR-823D GAME OVER!!!

You asked for it
Old 05-27-2011   #220

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 236 DS-21 has a reputation beyond reputeDS-21 has a reputation beyond reputeDS-21 has a reputation beyond reputeDS-21 has a reputation beyond reputeDS-21 has a reputation beyond reputeDS-21 has a reputation beyond reputeDS-21 has a reputation beyond reputeDS-21 has a reputation beyond reputeDS-21 has a reputation beyond reputeDS-21 has a reputation beyond reputeDS-21 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Jim.....I would give you a hug if I were near you! The 8" game is OVER! Alpine just won it To summerize.....I have never touched, heard, seen, and 8" sub like this in my life and I have tried MANY!
Have you tried the Peerless SLS8 or CSS Trio8?

It sounds like you're just comparing them to car-fi marketed drivers. Few car-fi marketed drivers are very good. These particular drivers do seem to have some solid engineering behind them, though.

A similar motor on a lighter cone would make a very interesting midbass, I think. Hint, hint, Alpine.
DS-21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2011   #221
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post
Have you tried the Peerless SLS8 or CSS Trio8?

It sounds like you're just comparing them to car-fi marketed drivers. Few car-fi marketed drivers are very good. These particular drivers do seem to have some solid engineering behind them, though.

A similar motor on a lighter cone would make a very interesting midbass, I think. Hint, hint, Alpine.
You are correct! I did base my conclusions off of other car-fi marketed drivers for a few reasons.... First being that they are in that market so I found it fair. Second was because of the other drivers I have used in the past (of the 8s you mentioned I have used the peerless but as midbass drivers, but have used trio in other sizes in the past)
I have found a great deal of the diy drivers (I know I am going to catch hell for this but its just been my experience...and as a disclosure I like to REALLY use my stuff) are just delicate for my tastes. I couldnt see using the Peerless as dedicated subwoofers in my system without a larger sized ported box with several drivers....which is fine but not practical in my center console. I could be dead wrong though because I only used them as dedcated midbass and they were great, but I have prefered several over them.
I am probably way off here and you or Mr. Walter can get into it further but werent the original F#1 mids (blue cone with the pointy dustcap "vifa looking") similar?
Not gonna lie....just going cosmetics from the back side Insert stupid here!
Old 05-28-2011   #222

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 79 thelbz will become famous soon enoughthelbz will become famous soon enoughthelbz will become famous soon enoughthelbz will become famous soon enoughthelbz will become famous soon enoughthelbz will become famous soon enough

I hope in this long weekend I will have the time to finish my console style enclosure, but I may not have the time. It sucks having to Build my enclosure, Build one for the old lady's sub, build rock slider/step bars for the old lady. But this sub seems to sound better and better even though its not in a enclosure built for it.
I added some 6.5" Massive VK mids in the rear doors running on 100W. They seem to blend so well with the swr that it seems all most nonexistent. I am going to use a round port in the new enclosure so I can easily try different tuning, like to see how it performs with low 30hz tuning.
thelbz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2011   #223
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 91 96jimmyslt is a jewel in the rough96jimmyslt is a jewel in the rough96jimmyslt is a jewel in the rough96jimmyslt is a jewel in the rough96jimmyslt is a jewel in the rough96jimmyslt is a jewel in the rough96jimmyslt is a jewel in the rough96jimmyslt is a jewel in the rough96jimmyslt is a jewel in the rough96jimmyslt is a jewel in the rough96jimmyslt is a jewel in the rough

I am thinking of buying the SWR-1043D

It required .5 cubic feet for a sealed box.

My question is: does it hit hard?

Ideal placement will be the passenger side cargo area, custom form fitting box over the wheel hump and behind it.

I have outgrown the SPL phase and now want SQ.

I've said this in another post: recent trade where I acquired a 15" sub and 4.1 ported box really made my mind up about sub woofers and the cubic footage they require.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Alpine+-...pine&cp=3&lp=3

2010 chevy HHR LT - dnx 6160 - Alpine MRP-M500 - JL 12w3v3-4 - sony xm 4045

Last edited by 96jimmyslt; 05-28-2011 at 01:25 PM..
96jimmyslt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2011   #224

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Problemhouston will become famous soon enoughProblemhouston will become famous soon enoughProblemhouston will become famous soon enoughProblemhouston will become famous soon enoughProblemhouston will become famous soon enoughProblemhouston will become famous soon enough

Sorry wrong thread
Problemhouston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2011   #225
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 131 Brian Steele will become famous soon enoughBrian Steele will become famous soon enoughBrian Steele will become famous soon enoughBrian Steele will become famous soon enoughBrian Steele will become famous soon enoughBrian Steele will become famous soon enough

I ran the specs for the 4+4 version of the driver though HornResp. It might do quite well in a 30 litre (net) transmission line. For a starting point, S1=200 cm, S2=80 cm, length=213 cm, stuff about the first 1/4 or so (to deal with the response abberations above 100 Hz)...

Brian Steele
www.diysubwoofers.org
Brian Steele is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement