LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2011   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 81 DougJones will become famous soon enoughDougJones will become famous soon enoughDougJones will become famous soon enoughDougJones will become famous soon enoughDougJones will become famous soon enoughDougJones will become famous soon enough

Default Massive Audio NX5 Going Into Protection

Just got this thing installed (finally) running a set of older Alpine comps up front (4 ohm load) and a 10w6v2 (wired to 2 ohms) on the sub channel. I've got nothing for rear fill so the rear channels are free. Today, moderate heat, nothing major, the amp would go into protection. I would need to shut it down for roughly 15 mins in order for it to reset itelf.

I had to get in to watch the playoffs, so I haven't done any trouble shooting yet. Any ideas gents?
DougJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011   #2

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Sonically_Sound is on a distinguished roadSonically_Sound is on a distinguished roadSonically_Sound is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Massive Audio NX5 Going Into Protection

Are the rear channels bridged into your 2 ohm sub? Most 4 channels are only stable to 4 ohms bridged. That could be your problems.

Check to make sure your ground is good also.
Sonically_Sound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011   #3

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 81 DougJones will become famous soon enoughDougJones will become famous soon enoughDougJones will become famous soon enoughDougJones will become famous soon enoughDougJones will become famous soon enoughDougJones will become famous soon enough

Sonic - It's a 5 channel amp...rears are unused and the sub is run off the sub channels. I'm using the same ground spot that my JLs were using, but it's worth a shot. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Any other thoughts?
Old 06-07-2011   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
Easy Way Electronics

Rep Power: 67 trumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the rough

My hunch is you might have a defective amp. If I may take the risk of assuming you know how to properly set up an amp and you don't have the gains maxed, there seems to be no reason your NX5 would go into protect. The load your speakers and sub are presenting would barely get it warm unless you're pushing it into clipping.

My system: Pioneer AVH-4000NEX, JBL MS-8, Clarion XC6610, JBL GTO-751EZ, CDT 6.7"/4"/1.1" in the front doors, 4"/1.1" center channel, Audiomobile Elite 2212 12" ported, Clarion SRG-1622R rear fill
trumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011   #5

DIYMA freshman

Gains not maxed, so I have/had the fear that the amp was defective. But, on the way in this morning, I was on it pretty hard all the way into the office (40 min. drive) and not one issue. This thing may be a bit more susceptible (sp?) to heat than I would have thought.

I have it mounted in the trunk under the rear deck (G35 sedan). I'll keep an eye on things and see how this plays out.
Old 06-08-2011   #6

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 48 Jsracing will become famous soon enoughJsracing will become famous soon enoughJsracing will become famous soon enoughJsracing will become famous soon enoughJsracing will become famous soon enoughJsracing will become famous soon enough

I've always wondered how well the Massive amps handled heat. Most any other amp of comparable o output Power is at least twice the size. Being AB, theres a lot of heat that the small package doesn't look like it would be able to dissipate. Honestly the Massive Nanos seem to defy thermal physics for the Power they make. Maybe you happen to be the first to push it hard enough in temperature conditions adequate to overload the thermal package.
Jsracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011   #7

DIYMA freshman

JS - They are a bit small for the power.

Don't know now, but we'll see soon enough. The Car has been sitting in a lot all day, it's better than 90 degrees, and it is time to go home.
Old 06-08-2011   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 301 azngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond repute

these massive audio amps are overrated, might produce rated Power with only one channel running but as soon as you Power all the channels at the same time especially at lower impendences they run out of gas and/or get hot/protect
azngotskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011   #9

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 48 Jsracing will become famous soon enoughJsracing will become famous soon enoughJsracing will become famous soon enoughJsracing will become famous soon enoughJsracing will become famous soon enoughJsracing will become famous soon enough

Azn -
Have you experienced/tested that yourself? I've seen the birthsheets provided with the amps that show the power, but I always wondered if that was with only 1 channel driven or all driven. For their size, it really confused me how they could make that much Power with AB efficiency in that small of a package with no fins. Tested with 1 channel driven and it dropping considerably with more channels driven makes more sense and falls more in line with the expected capabilities given its size.
Old 06-08-2011   #10
Upgrade Your Membership!

Banned

Rep Power: 0 massiveaudio will become famous soon enoughmassiveaudio will become famous soon enoughmassiveaudio will become famous soon enoughmassiveaudio will become famous soon enoughmassiveaudio will become famous soon enoughmassiveaudio will become famous soon enough

Your amplifier should not go into thermal unless the voltage from the RCA is too high (higher than 5 volts) or there is an impedance problem or burnt speaker.

Best way to isolate the problem is to disconnect the A/B side and only run the woofer (Class D) and see if the problem goes away. If so, then we know it’s the A/B side and you should check your speakers with a multi meter to make sure they are not burnt or a wrong impedance.

If your speakers are ok and the RCA input is at the proper level then you might have a problem with the amplifier itself and should call our RA department for an evaluation.

Also the amplifiers are not overrated at all. I am not sure why the other poster said this but I can assure you that they will produce the stated RMS at non distortion levels as indicated on the manual and test sheet.
massiveaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011   #11

DIYMA freshman

All - Thanks for joining in the discussion.

Massive - Always love to see manufacturers on here.

The verdict is in and the amp is going into protection mode. In regards to the impedence question, the front channels are seeing a 4ohm load and the sub channel is seeing a 2ohm load. Those are the only channels being driven. The rear channels are unused.

On the way home today, sure enough, 20 minutes into the drive it shuts down. I pulled over, popped my panel clips and the sucker was hotter than any amp I've ever used. I've honestly never had an amp go into protection....ever. I'm an old hat (pushing 40) and I've been at this since high school.

At any rate, I am going to vent the panel tomorrow to allow a bit more airflow and see what comes of that.

Massive - Just to be a bit more clear as to how I have the NX5 installed, it is mounted inverted on my rear deck where the factory amp was. The "beauty" panel that is normally there is in place. That is the panel that I will be modifying to allow a bit more airflow. It is puzzling still as I have removed the Bose sub (ha!) and there is a gaping hole venting into the cabin. I had no doubts originally that this would provide more than enough airflow. Regarding the RA, if this proves to be an amplifier issue, how liberal are you guys with warranty work? This amp was purchased through Ebay (new, not used). I had no choice at the time as I was dying to try one and everyone was out of stock.

By the way, preout voltage on my Pioneer AVH is no better than 4V.

Now that I know what's going on, let's see if the fix is as simple as it should be/seems.

Last edited by DougJones; 06-08-2011 at 06:26 PM..
Old 06-08-2011   #12

DIYMA Novice

Doug -
When you say inverted, do you mean the amp is up side down? If so, that could be causing heat to stay close to the electronics causing it to overheat prematurely.

Massive-
Can you confirm the Nano amps wil do rated Power into all channels with all channels driven at the same time?
Also, can you provide some insight into how you were able to get so much Power into a package less than half the size of competitors? I've been eyeing the NX5 myself, but its size and power defies thermodynamics to me.
Btw, you should revise your website to change all the "mill speck" references to directly say "mil spec". A mill speck is a small piece of corn left on the mill after you ground it. =) I think the correction will add to the professional image of the company.
Old 06-08-2011   #13

DIYMA freshman

Yep, upside down. I thought that it might play some roll, but not enough to send it into thermal protection. Quite a few guys mount amps in the same spot that I have (no NX5's yet that I am aware of) without issue.

If the vent doesn't work, I'm going with another option as I chose the amp specifcally base upon reviews and the ability to mount it where I did. At this stage of the game, losing trunk space is not something that I want to do.
Old 06-08-2011   #14

DIYMA Novice

It could be marginal as it is and your inverted mounting pushes it over the edge.

There are other amps of similar size that would for there and Power your setup, which doesn't sound Power hungry since youre not bridging the stereo channels to power your front stage.
Old 06-08-2011   #15

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsracing View Post
It could be marginal as it is and your inverted mounting pushes it over the edge.
That statement there is where I think I am with this setup. Not quite pissed off over it, yet. I have my fingers crossed that this additional venting is going to solve my problem, but.....
Old 06-09-2011   #16

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 bspar929 will become famous soon enoughbspar929 will become famous soon enoughbspar929 will become famous soon enoughbspar929 will become famous soon enoughbspar929 will become famous soon enoughbspar929 will become famous soon enough

I have a Massive NX-5 that is mounted in the engine compartment on my boat that has been going into protection since installing it at the end of last year. I assumed it was due caused by heat, based upon the location of the amp and the fact that my old Cerwin-Vega did the same thing. I contacted Massive today and they were very helpful, giving me several things to check. They were pretty adamant that the input voltage cannot be over 5 v and basically said if the voltage is over 4 volts the gain should be set at minimum. I'm hoping this is the problem as I know my tuner is rated at 4 v at the RCA's and I'm pretty sure my gain is set around 50%. I'm headed to the lake tomorrow to check it out.
bspar929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011   #17

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 83 temposs will become famous soon enoughtemposs will become famous soon enoughtemposs will become famous soon enoughtemposs will become famous soon enoughtemposs will become famous soon enoughtemposs will become famous soon enough

Bleh, I just bought an NX5 and the last thing I wanted to hear were issues about them going into protection mode. I'm going to be installing it in my truck, which does not have AC, in a rather mild climate. Maybe I shouldn't even bother opening it...

Anyone have one of these things working well who can chime in and make me feel better about me purchase?

w205/H701 combo, Dynaudio 242's, 12w6v2, nine.5
temposs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011   #18

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bspar929 View Post
They were pretty adamant that the input voltage cannot be over 5 v and basically said if the voltage is over 4 volts the gain should be set at minimum. I'm hoping this is the problem as I know my tuner is rated at 4 v at the RCA's and I'm pretty sure my gain is set around 50%. I'm headed to the lake tomorrow to check it out.
Unless you're deaf, your HU is not putting out 4Vrms constantly. Music is so dynamic that even if you hit 4V peak values occasionally, your rms value would likely be under 1V, so I HIGHLY doubt you're overdriving the pre-amp of the amp. Gain at 50% shouldn't be a problem. If it's near the engine, sounds like it's in an area that's already hot and may not get much cool air flow.

temposs -
If the amp will be in an area that either has good air flow (actual air movement) or a lot of air that's often renewed (i.e. in the cabin), it should do ok. Big Power in a small package using AB design means there isn't much, if any, headroom for heat, so heat management is key. As I mentioned earlier, every AB I've had, played with, etc. has run hot when either on hot days or in low vented areas.
Old 06-10-2011   #19
Upgrade Your Membership!

Banned

Rep Power: 0 massiveaudio will become famous soon enoughmassiveaudio will become famous soon enoughmassiveaudio will become famous soon enoughmassiveaudio will become famous soon enoughmassiveaudio will become famous soon enoughmassiveaudio will become famous soon enough

Hello and sorry for the delay.. Thank you for the Mil Spec catch.. I passed that on to the webmaster and that should be corrected. I also confirmed that rated Power is when all channels are running. This unit has 2 Power supplies for class D and class AB.

While I do not know 100% the science behind it all, I do know that we use high quality SMD and special Torrids to keep the units cool in such a small heat sink. It also increases the unit’s efficiency which is a problem for heat and a bonus for power.

Regarding the heat and voltage. If you are sure that the amplifier is getting proper air flow then I would try and reduce the gain, if the voltage is over 4V, and see if it helps the heat issue. If all else fails we do have a very good grace repair or replacement program for any out of warranty items. Especially if the unit is found to be defective for any reason but also if it was damaged. You would need to talk to the RA department but generally they take your unit and offer you a new or refurbished unit for a low cost to help get you going.

I really hope you get this resolved soon so that you are able to enjoy your system.. The Nano series is very reliable and for the past 2 years have had a very low rate for returns, if that is a concern of anyone’s.
Thank you all for being involved and please feel free to jump on our Massive Forum to talk to other users for more in depth discussion on any of our products!
massiveaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 301 azngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond repute

They make rated Power with all channels being powered simultaneously at what distortion level and for how long? Will it go into thermal at extended playing times? I just find it hard to believe taking into account Power produced and implemented cooling measured
azngotskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 60 ecbmxer will become famous soon enoughecbmxer will become famous soon enoughecbmxer will become famous soon enoughecbmxer will become famous soon enoughecbmxer will become famous soon enoughecbmxer will become famous soon enough

They are CEA 2006 rated, so I would expect the Power to be all channels driven at 1% THD.

I have an NX5 and have never had an issue with it going into protect mounted under my seat. I almost guarantee it's because of it being mounted upside down without airflow. There are no fins, so all the heat needs to dissipate through the heavy metal portion, not the underside. I'd try moving it first. Also, check that the speakers don't have any kind of weird impedance drops over their frequency range or something.

2010 Subaru WRX: H-Audio Enigma, Trinity and Ebony, sealed IDQ10v3, Massive Audio NX5 (sub+midbass) and NX4 (mid+tweet) amps, Alpine INA-W900BT with H100 Imprint, RAAMat/Ensolite, KnuKoncept/DIY wiring
ecbmxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

12V Company:
Ground Zero USA

Rep Power: 223 Scott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by massiveaudio View Post
Your amplifier should not go into thermal unless the voltage from the RCA is too high (higher than 5 volts) or there is an impedance problem or burnt speaker.

Best way to isolate the problem is to disconnect the A/B side and only run the woofer (Class D) and see if the problem goes away. If so, then we know it’s the A/B side and you should check your speakers with a multi meter to make sure they are not burnt or a wrong impedance.

If your speakers are ok and the RCA input is at the proper level then you might have a problem with the amplifier itself and should call our RA department for an evaluation.

Also the amplifiers are not overrated at all. I am not sure why the other poster said this but I can assure you that they will produce the stated RMS at non distortion levels as indicated on the manual and test sheet.

Your 2 ohm Power rating on the 4-ch's is overinflated just like all your old amps. The PAF's are floating around here on the forum somewhere.
Scott@GZUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011   #23

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 70 RedAggie03 will become famous soon enoughRedAggie03 will become famous soon enoughRedAggie03 will become famous soon enoughRedAggie03 will become famous soon enoughRedAggie03 will become famous soon enoughRedAggie03 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecbmxer View Post
They are CEA 2006 rated, so I would expect the Power to be all channels driven at 1% THD.

I have an NX5 and have never had an issue with it going into protect mounted under my seat. I almost guarantee it's because of it being mounted upside down without airflow. There are no fins, so all the heat needs to dissipate through the heavy metal portion, not the underside. I'd try moving it first. Also, check that the speakers don't have any kind of weird impedance drops over their frequency range or something.
Or flip it over and find some spacers?

RedAggie03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011   #24

DIYMA freshman

Airflow is adequate (for most amps) considering many amplifiers get mounted in this location. However, this particular amp, due to its construction (lack of a finned heatsink) is an issue.

I am going to provide even further ventilation, but if it doesn't work where it is, it's going to find a new home. I could probably suspend it from the rear deck as well. We'll see.
Old 06-10-2011   #25

DIYMA freshman

Default DO NOT INVERT THESE THINGS...

Alright, here is where we are with this. No beauty panel in place and full ventilation to the amp....no change in result. After 20 minutes of use at moderate volumes (not trying to rock the block ), it shuts down due to its thermal protection. However, it now only takes about 5 minutes to recover. Another 20 minutes, this time at volumes that allow normal conversation, the thermal protection kicks in again.

Almost forgot that I never mentioned my gains. The gains are set at their minimum setting both front and sub channels.

As I have no impedence issues on any channel, my only conclusion is that these things DO NOT like to be mounted inverted. Now I have to tear the back end of this Car apart again to attempt suspending it from the rear deck. God knows that taking apart the back end of this Car to access the rear deck is a pain in the @ss!

At any rate, there it is. Do not mount these things inverted.

Last edited by DougJones; 06-10-2011 at 04:18 PM..