LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2011   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 drummerdrew will become famous soon enoughdrummerdrew will become famous soon enoughdrummerdrew will become famous soon enoughdrummerdrew will become famous soon enoughdrummerdrew will become famous soon enoughdrummerdrew will become famous soon enough

Question no power / amp wont turn on

Hey guys, fairly new to this forum so bear with me here but just recently I installed a pair of MTX Magnum subs and the Magnum amp that came with it... ran my Power Wire through the grommet by my battery and ran the rca and turn on lead to the back on the opposite side, for some reason my amp won't Power up.... recently I've been troubleshooting it testing all possible options and I realized that for some reason my power Wire isn't getting any power from my battery... any ideas or thoughts why this may be? I also was wondering if maybe I needed an adapter for my hookup because I only have the 2 terminals on top of my battery and there are not two separate bolts for the power wire and the regular power to go to .
Any thoughts or suggestions would be awesome, thanks
-Drew
drummerdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011   #2

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 82 Toys7505 will become famous soon enoughToys7505 will become famous soon enoughToys7505 will become famous soon enoughToys7505 will become famous soon enoughToys7505 will become famous soon enoughToys7505 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: no power / amp wont turn on

Your best friend for trouble shooting is a Multi-meter, do you have one? if so, you can check for Power from your battery to your amp and verify there is 12v. Also, do you have that Wire fused at the battery? Is the fuse blown? What about the fuse on the amp, did you check that one as well?

Please also verify that your remote turn on is pushing 12v as well, just to start eliminating variables......

As for the Wire from the battery to your amp, make sure there are no breaks or cracks in the insulation that could cause a short too.

///ALPINE W205/H701 combo w/ Blackbird II NAV, JL AUDIO A6450 & A1400 amps, Rockford Fosgate P1S410 10" subs, CDT Audio HD-642 3-way component set
Toys7505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011   #3

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 drummerdrew will become famous soon enoughdrummerdrew will become famous soon enoughdrummerdrew will become famous soon enoughdrummerdrew will become famous soon enoughdrummerdrew will become famous soon enoughdrummerdrew will become famous soon enough

Sadly I don't have one of this meters... but I did check the Power Wire end by touching it to metal and no spark lol so somethings wrong... the fuse I got is one of those plastic clear ones from an amp wiring kit, and I would assume it is good.... it was already pre installed so I just hooked the Power Wire on both ends, one to my amp and one side to my battery, I did think it was odd that I didn't have toput the fuse in myself though cuz all the guides say to install the fuse after everyhings plugged in? But yea.it could possibly be the fuse by my battery, but the fuse on my amp should be fine... its brand new lol
Old 07-02-2011   #4

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 75 seekingSQnirvana will become famous soon enoughseekingSQnirvana will become famous soon enoughseekingSQnirvana will become famous soon enoughseekingSQnirvana will become famous soon enoughseekingSQnirvana will become famous soon enoughseekingSQnirvana will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerdrew View Post
Sadly I don't have one of this meters... but I did check the Power Wire end by touching it to metal and no spark lol so somethings wrong... the fuse I got is one of those plastic clear ones from an amp wiring kit, and I would assume it is good.... it was already pre installed so I just hooked the Power Wire on both ends, one to my amp and one side to my battery, I did think it was odd that I didn't have toput the fuse in myself though cuz all the guides say to install the fuse after everyhings plugged in? But yea.it could possibly be the fuse by my battery, but the fuse on my amp should be fine... its brand new lol
Firstly, I would never touch a wire to metal to "test it". Multimeters are reasonably priced for basic models. Actually inspect the in-line fuse by the battery and the one in the amp. Don't assume they are fine. The point is to know for sure so you can narrow down the possibile culprit.

2005 Camry: Eclipse 7000, a/d/s(AL6), sub(r10s), JL 500/5
seekingSQnirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011   #5

DIYMA freshman

All yea I guess I just didn't want to have to buy one, but I guess I can if I have too lol but yea how does one inspect the amp by the battery? Like the fuse Lois good I mean its brand new so how do I test if its the culprit? Lol sorry for all these scrub questions
Old 07-02-2011   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 201 cajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond repute

bring your Car to someone who can show you something, please!
cajunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011   #7

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 75 seekingSQnirvana will become famous soon enoughseekingSQnirvana will become famous soon enoughseekingSQnirvana will become famous soon enoughseekingSQnirvana will become famous soon enoughseekingSQnirvana will become famous soon enoughseekingSQnirvana will become famous soon enough

Quote:
All yea I guess I just didn't want to have to buy one, but I guess I can if I have too lol but yea how does one inspect the amp by the battery? Like the fuse Lois good I mean its brand new so how do I test if its the culprit? Lol sorry for all these scrub questions
I hope your amp isn't by your battery!! Just kidding. Take the fuse(s) out and visually inspect it/them.

Here are some pictures that might help.

Pictures by seekingsqnirvana - Photobucket

2005 Camry: Eclipse 7000, a/d/s(AL6), sub(r10s), JL 500/5
seekingSQnirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011   #8

DIYMA freshman

Unhappy Re: no power / amp wont turn on

Well I inspected the fuse and it looks perfectly fine.... and so does the amp fuse. I know what I'm doing for the most part, just can't seem to figure out why my battery isn't feeding it power.... the only other thing I can think of is my connector is not connected to the battery right... cuz I redid the crimp on the remote Wire and I changed the fuse to the 2nd fuse that came with the amp.
Old 07-02-2011   #9
Upgrade Your Membership!

Installer

Rep Power: 46 nfrazier will become famous soon enoughnfrazier will become famous soon enoughnfrazier will become famous soon enoughnfrazier will become famous soon enoughnfrazier will become famous soon enoughnfrazier will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Well I inspected the fuse and it looks perfectly fine.... and so does the amp fuse. I know what I'm doing for the most part, just can't seem to figure out why my battery isn't feeding it power.... the only other thing I can think of is my connector is not connected to the battery right... cuz I redid the crimp on the remote Wire and I changed the fuse to the 2nd fuse that came with the amp.
No offense man, but it doesn't seem like ur well versed in installation. A Power issue for an amp is about a 30 minute trouble shoot, if that. Go to sears and buy a dmm and test your connections yo see where u have voltage ( not juat amy voltage but 12 v - i had someone come in who said he had power, checked amd he had 4v at constan t) and where u don't. Make sire your ground is good as well.

If you don't know how to properly do this then id advise You to bring it to a professional.
nfrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011   #10

DIYMA freshman

Thumbs down Re: no power / amp wont turn on

I'm sorry i thought this site was for people that had questions, especially this forum being the "No question is a dumb question" forum 0_o That being said, this forum is pretty much going to have newbie level questions for people trying to learn things... To a professional yes this would be a 30 min check, but I'm learning here and i wasn't near my Car when i posted this. I guess ill be buying a meter tomorrow to test the connections though.
Old 07-03-2011   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 201 cajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm sorry i thought this site was for people that had questions, especially this forum being the "No question is a dumb question" forum 0_o That being said, this forum is pretty much going to have newbie level questions for people trying to learn things... To a professional yes this would be a 30 min check, but I'm learning here and i wasn't near my Car when i posted this. I guess ill be buying a meter tomorrow to test the connections though.
Look, it's not a meter problem.

getting Power to the amp is a process of looking closely at the things you have done so far, and seeing if they are right.

one obvious question is whether or not the Power Wire is hooked up to the positive terminal of the battery, or the ground.

if you know what burned fuses look like, then it should be easy but you are making it very difficult.

if you can't tell whether or not power is getting to your amp, that touching the Wire on metal to see if it 'sparks' is going to burn your fuse anyway, don't do it!

just get a 12V test light, or continuity tester. It looks like an ice pick with a little wire and clip running off of it.

it lights up when you touch it to power and have the ground connected.

use it to follow the different connection points in your power wire, starting at that positive terminal of the battery.
Old 07-03-2011   #12

DIYMA freshman

its hooked up to the positive terminal of the battery lol i would hope im not that dumb XD but i guess my question is if its hooked up correctly.... my terminal is just one of those rings that go around the top battery terminals. It doesn't have those side by side nuts for adding extra Power wires like some of my friends do and i guess what im getting at is if i need an adapter for my Power Wire to work correctly or if having my power Wire in between the ring terminal and nut works fine enough? and yes, i know that touching the wire to metal was a scrub move and is dangerous, i guess i was just being lazy. Either way i'll deff being testing each wire tomorrow to see if they light up on the test meter.
Old 07-03-2011   #13

DIYMA freshman

Thanks for all your advice btw guys, sorry for lashing out earlier.... this things just pissing me off and no shops are open considering its july 4th weekend XD
Old 07-03-2011   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Quote:
its hooked up to the positive terminal of the battery lol i would hope im not that dumb XD but i guess my question is if its hooked up correctly.... my terminal is just one of those rings that go around the top battery terminals. It doesn't have those side by side nuts for adding extra Power wires like some of my friends do and i guess what im getting at is if i need an adapter for my Power Wire to work correctly or if having my power Wire in between the ring terminal and nut works fine enough? and yes, i know that touching the wire to metal was a scrub move and is dangerous, i guess i was just being lazy. Either way i'll deff being testing each wire tomorrow to see if they light up on the test meter.
that's possibly your problem, the easy way to find out is to use a test light, but if you have any kind of 12V device you could see if power is making it to the amp at all by trying to power the device with the end of the wire that was going to the amp.

sometimes the ring terminal doesn't make contact with the part of wire that feeds the car, maybe try and just wire everything up like it's supposed to with the power wire disconnected at the battery, then start the Car or put the key in ACC position, and go and touch the ring terminal to the battery terminal to see if it makes the amp come on.

I think you don't know enough about your install technique to know if it's bad or not, which is why I say to bring your Car to someone, anyone with a little bit of knowledge that can show you what's the problem.
Old 07-03-2011   #15

DIYMA freshman

Thanks for the advice ca, and yes... once this July 4th weekend ends I'll be taking it to the Car audio shop i bought my amp kit from to see if the have any suggestions....IF i dont end up figuring it out before then heh I'm sure the sales/install guy will troubleshoot it with me, He's already looked at a few things for me in the past. Until then though i will try that technique you described, ill send a post tomorrow after i test it.
Old 07-03-2011   #16
Upgrade Your Membership!

Installer

Rep Power: 46 nfrazier will become famous soon enoughnfrazier will become famous soon enoughnfrazier will become famous soon enoughnfrazier will become famous soon enoughnfrazier will become famous soon enoughnfrazier will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Dude, listen, pretty sure if you sum up my post it told you what to do and said id you weren't comfortable to bring it to a professional, so stop being combative and overly proud and snapping back at people.

We can have 20 pages on "check everything.closely" but get a meter for 20 bucks and see what th issue is and thn you can isolate that connection and get it
nfrazier is offline   Reply With Quote