LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2011   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 39 BriIiance will become famous soon enoughBriIiance will become famous soon enoughBriIiance will become famous soon enoughBriIiance will become famous soon enoughBriIiance will become famous soon enoughBriIiance will become famous soon enough

Default How important is cu. ft. in a sub enclosure?

I found 3 10" sealed subwoofer boxes, I don't know which to go with. my subwoofer is the vibe audio ba-10, and has a 1 cu ft min and 1.5 cu ft max. I'm not sure what more cu. ft. means but I'm going for SQ, I don't give a damn about loudness. I downgraded from 2 l7s

1.01 cu ft $32
1.45 cu ft $30
1.3 mtx $40

Last edited by BriIiance; 11-30-2011 at 02:43 AM..
BriIiance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #2

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 71 87regal will become famous soon enough87regal will become famous soon enough87regal will become famous soon enough87regal will become famous soon enough87regal will become famous soon enough87regal will become famous soon enough

Default Re: How important is cu. ft. in a sub enclosure?

Very important. Stick to the manufactures specs(unless you can use Speaker modeling software). I would use AT LEAST minimum spec+polyfill.
87regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #3

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 39 BriIiance will become famous soon enoughBriIiance will become famous soon enoughBriIiance will become famous soon enoughBriIiance will become famous soon enoughBriIiance will become famous soon enoughBriIiance will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87regal View Post
Very important. Stick to the manufactures specs(unless you can use Speaker modeling software). I would use AT LEAST minimum spec+polyfill.
I don't know what polyfill is but I'm just going to buy a box. if it says 1 cu ft that means its 1 cu ft, right? Not excluding this polyfill nonsense?
Old 11-29-2011   #4
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 75 jcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriIiance View Post
I don't know what polyfill is but I'm just going to buy a box. if it says 1 cu ft that means its 1 cu ft, right? Not excluding this polyfill nonsense?
The box needs to be 1cu ft after your drivers displacement. And Poly fill is not nonsense, it acts as a way to make a smaller box seem larger to the drivers. A very useful tool in adjusting internal volume in enclosures.

08 Chevy Silverado ccsb >>>Pioneer DEX-P99RS>>>JL HD600/4×2, JL HD1200/1>>>Rainbow cal28>>>Pioneer ts-s062prs>>> Rainbow w175 platinum>>>JL zr800>>>Diyma R12 ×4 sealed>>> lots of Second skin, Raamaudio, and knuconcepts
jcollin76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #5

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 40 KTMrida4life will become famous soon enoughKTMrida4life will become famous soon enoughKTMrida4life will become famous soon enoughKTMrida4life will become famous soon enoughKTMrida4life will become famous soon enoughKTMrida4life will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Polyfill is like the stuff inside your average pillow. When used correctly inside a sub enclosure it will make the subs *think* the box is bigger than it really is.
KTMrida4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #6

DIYMA freshman

so a .75cu ft box + poly fill could meet the minimum for my sub?
Old 11-29-2011   #7
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 75 jcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nice

What happens inside the enclosure with poly fill is, as the air moves inside the box, It causes the fibers in the fill to vibrate rapidly. This creates heat inside the box, and effectively slows down the air movement. This creates the effect of a larger internal volume.

08 Chevy Silverado ccsb >>>Pioneer DEX-P99RS>>>JL HD600/4×2, JL HD1200/1>>>Rainbow cal28>>>Pioneer ts-s062prs>>> Rainbow w175 platinum>>>JL zr800>>>Diyma R12 ×4 sealed>>> lots of Second skin, Raamaudio, and knuconcepts
Old 11-29-2011   #8
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
It would be close. You want the box as full as you can, but not compressed. Too much fill will not allow it to vibrate and slow the air movement. In other words it would eat up volume, and make it smaller.

Old 11-29-2011   #9
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

General rule is 1lbs bag of fill per 1 cu ft of enclosure. So, about 3/4 bag of fill you can pick up at Walmart cheap.

Old 11-29-2011   #10

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollin76 View Post
General rule is 1lbs bag of fill per 1 cu ft of enclosure. So, about 3/4 bag of fill you can pick up at Walmart cheap.
so would you recommend I get the .75 cu ft box and get 3/4 lbs of poly fill or get a 1cu ft box and get 1lb of poly fill?
Old 11-29-2011   #11

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 40 KTMrida4life will become famous soon enoughKTMrida4life will become famous soon enoughKTMrida4life will become famous soon enoughKTMrida4life will become famous soon enoughKTMrida4life will become famous soon enoughKTMrida4life will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Mayyyyyyyybe. I doubt it. But you'll be closer.. probably more in the .9cu ft area. Not sure, Im not an expert.. I just put the stuff in my box to make me at the upper end of the recommend size box.
KTMrida4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #12
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
so would you recommend I get the .75 cu ft box and get 3/4 lbs of poly fill or get a 1cu ft box and get 1lb of poly fill?
Well if you don't already have the box, I'd get the 1 cu ft. Then you wouldn't need the fill. You could use the fill as a tuning aid, and not to just get you to the minimum required air space. But putting the fill in might help your sub's lower response. Typically subs will perform better on the low side in larger enclosures.
Whereas with the .75, you'd need the fill just to Get you close.

Old 11-30-2011   #13

DIYMA freshman

ok well I haven't got a box yet, and since the max is 1.5 I'll just get a 1cu ft box and get some poly fill?
Old 11-30-2011   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 78 quickaudi07 has a spectacular aura aboutquickaudi07 has a spectacular aura aboutquickaudi07 has a spectacular aura aboutquickaudi07 has a spectacular aura aboutquickaudi07 has a spectacular aura aboutquickaudi07 has a spectacular aura aboutquickaudi07 has a spectacular aura aboutquickaudi07 has a spectacular aura aboutquickaudi07 has a spectacular aura about

I'm not a expert, but if you get 1.5cu box, you will be set, unless you are limited to space in your car. I have used that Polly Fill as members are talking bout, and from experience, the sub gets overheated a lot faster. I had Jl audio 10W7 sub, by using the the materiel to trick my sub and I have cooked the coil.
You have to be very careful of how you use it and what you buy.
I would suggest to get a bigger box without the pillow inside of your box.

I have learned my lesson, and now I bought a Morel Ult12", I Build the box to specks and called it a day...

Now I don't have to worry about cu. or overheating issues, but that's just my suggestion to you, I may be wrong, members on here have more experience with that stuff. I'm just saying what i have learned from experience..
quickaudi07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011   #15
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Sounds good. Don't worry about the poly, It's literally a couple bucks at Walmart. Try the box with out for a while, then try it with a lb. of fill in it and see what ya think. I'm betting you'll like it better in. That's always been my experience anyway.

Best of luck!

Old 11-30-2011   #16
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickaudi07 View Post
I'm not a expert, but if you get 1.5cu box, you will be set, unless you are limited to space in your car. I have used that Polly Fill as they are talking bout, and from experience, the sub gets overheated a lot faster. I Jl audio 10W7 sub, by using the the materiel to trick my sub. You have to be very careful of how you use it and what you buy.
I would suggest to get a bigger box without the pillow inside of your box.

I have learned my lesson, and when i got my Morel Ult12" i Build the box to specks and called it a day...
Did the pole vent get covered or something? What happened?

Old 11-30-2011   #17

DIYMA freshman

changed initial post

Last edited by BriIiance; 11-30-2011 at 02:44 AM..
Old 11-30-2011   #18

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 46 Syaoran will become famous soon enoughSyaoran will become famous soon enoughSyaoran will become famous soon enoughSyaoran will become famous soon enoughSyaoran will become famous soon enoughSyaoran will become famous soon enough

Get the 1.45 cu ft one.

If you're looking for SQ, most of the time subs will sound better on their larger recommended box. By doing this however, you'd need to lower Power accordingly in an attempt to avoid over-excursion.

As an example, Kicker lists all their subs with I think 3 box specs... one is the smallest one, which with the bigger Power requirement will sound louder. The second one is a compromise, and the last one is for pure SQ and deep bass.

The box makes the sub sound nice, not the sub by itself.

A cheap sub in the right box will sound better than an expensive sub in a wrong box, most of the time.

http://www.kicker.com/sites/default/...2007CompVR.pdf

Look at the second page of the PDF, to the right, to see what I'm talking about.
Syaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011   #19

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 87 jking29 will become famous soon enoughjking29 will become famous soon enoughjking29 will become famous soon enoughjking29 will become famous soon enoughjking29 will become famous soon enoughjking29 will become famous soon enough

Agreed.^^^
jking29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011   #20

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 89 2f150 will become famous soon enough2f150 will become famous soon enough2f150 will become famous soon enough2f150 will become famous soon enough2f150 will become famous soon enough2f150 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to 2f150

Great discussion guys.

Patent Pending: Windshield Speaker.
2f150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 124 HondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enoughHondAudio will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to HondAudio

Quote:
No, it will not.
HondAudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
Easy Way Electronics

Rep Power: 67 trumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the rough

Out of the 3 boxes you listed I would get the one with the thickest MDF. For example, if one box is made of 5/8" MDF and another has 3/4" I would get the one with 3/4" MDF. The thicker wood helps reduce vibrations.

My system: Pioneer AVH-4000NEX, JBL MS-8, Clarion XC6610, JBL GTO-751EZ, CDT 6.7"/4"/1.1" in the front doors, 4"/1.1" center channel, Audiomobile Elite 2212 12" ported, Clarion SRG-1622R rear fill
trumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 130 BuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to behold

Go with the 1.45 box. It will require less Power for the same SPL and will most likely sound better and with more low end. My old 12W6s called for 1.25 and I ran them in 1.7 and eventually IB everytime I went with a larger box they sounded better.

'84 GN 10.60@ 127mph.
'07 Epic Expert
'14 Trance SX with SRAM XX1 1x11 Drivetrain.
'06 TL.
BuickGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 120 fish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuickGN View Post
Go with the 1.45 box. It will require less Power for the same SPL and will most likely sound better and with more low end. Everytime I went with a larger box they sounded better.
Yep, the larger box should more than likely help flatten out the sub's frequency response also.

P01 - HD600/4(2) - HD750/1 - Integra 402 - 10BR60V2 - IB15A(2)
fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 92 mmiller will become famous soon enoughmmiller will become famous soon enoughmmiller will become famous soon enoughmmiller will become famous soon enoughmmiller will become famous soon enoughmmiller will become famous soon enough

Quote:
If you don't know what polyfill is or does why comment????
mmiller is offline   Reply With Quote