LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2012   #1
Upgrade Your Membership!

Turn it up!

Rep Power: 45 Got-Four-Eights will become famous soon enoughGot-Four-Eights will become famous soon enoughGot-Four-Eights will become famous soon enoughGot-Four-Eights will become famous soon enoughGot-Four-Eights will become famous soon enoughGot-Four-Eights will become famous soon enough

Default Best sounding 6x9?

Right now I am running some Infinity Kappa 3ways that don't sound horrible but I am wondering who makes the best sounding 6x9s? I have an audio Art 200MS for power.
Got-Four-Eights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012   #2

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 49 Viggen will become famous soon enoughViggen will become famous soon enoughViggen will become famous soon enoughViggen will become famous soon enoughViggen will become famous soon enoughViggen will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Best sounding 6x9?

Image Dynamics, Focal, Hertz I think all have v-nice 6x9's

I am sure there are others...... I purchased the Focal Polyglass 6x9's to go with my Hertz Mille components.... my reason for purchaseing them was based on price.... found a good deal on a new set

I have always been huge infinity fan.... love their kappa stuff!!! However that was back in the emit tweeter days..... their newer stuff I do not think is as good as the older stuff, thus I looked elsewhere for my speakers.
Viggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012   #3
Upgrade Your Membership!

Turn it up!

Rep Power: 45 Got-Four-Eights will become famous soon enoughGot-Four-Eights will become famous soon enoughGot-Four-Eights will become famous soon enoughGot-Four-Eights will become famous soon enoughGot-Four-Eights will become famous soon enoughGot-Four-Eights will become famous soon enough

Yeah, the new Kappas get great reviews everywhere.. they really don't sound bad and have an amazing amount of bass. They aren't a true 6x9.. I had 6x9s Ecilpse's before and I had to cut the hole almost a half inch larger to get the infinity's in there. I may just keep them. They get pretty dang loud. I passed up a set of Morel Tempo 6x9s used for 100$ I probably should have gotten.
Old 02-04-2012   #4
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
High Definition Mobile Audio
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 106 Niebur3 is a jewel in the roughNiebur3 is a jewel in the roughNiebur3 is a jewel in the roughNiebur3 is a jewel in the roughNiebur3 is a jewel in the roughNiebur3 is a jewel in the roughNiebur3 is a jewel in the roughNiebur3 is a jewel in the roughNiebur3 is a jewel in the roughNiebur3 is a jewel in the roughNiebur3 is a jewel in the rough

None, ditch the 6X9's and use the money toward some nice components for the front stage.
Niebur3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012   #5
Upgrade Your Membership!

Turn it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niebur3 View Post
None, ditch the 6X9's and use the money toward some nice components for the front stage.
Ahh, I should have mentioned I was running Morel Elates on Arc amps active with 4 8" ID subs before this.. I plan on selling this truck soon so I am selling off most of my equipment and just sticking something clean in there to get me by for the next 6 months or so. I just want something to sound good for the next 6 months.. then im taking the audio Art amp out and putting whatever 6x9 I have on deck Power and letting it go. The Kappa's aren't bad and seem to be sounding cleaner after they are breaking in.. just not sure if there is anything better I can run without dropping $400 on Hertz or Image Dynamics. I was looking at a set of DLS 960 6x9s that were only $140 but can't find much info on them. I read a review that a guy tested 16 6x9s and gave the Soundstream SST6.9 first place over DLS, Eclipse, and a ton of others. I see a lot of 6x9 recommendations but most that are recommending have not even heard them.
Old 02-04-2012   #6
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
High Definition Mobile Audio
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 106 Niebur3 is a jewel in the roughNiebur3 is a jewel in the roughNiebur3 is a jewel in the roughNiebur3 is a jewel in the roughNiebur3 is a jewel in the roughNiebur3 is a jewel in the roughNiebur3 is a jewel in the roughNiebur3 is a jewel in the roughNiebur3 is a jewel in the roughNiebur3 is a jewel in the roughNiebur3 is a jewel in the rough

Well, compared to what you are used to, 6x9's can really compare. You may want to try Hybrid Imagine Series 6X9. The whole Imagine lineup is a great value and sounds really good.
Niebur3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012   #7
Upgrade Your Membership!

Turn it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niebur3 View Post
Well, compared to what you are used to, 6x9's can really compare. You may want to try Hybrid Imagine Series 6X9. The whole Imagine lineup is a great value and sounds really good.
You are right.. I don't plan on it sounding as good as what I had but just curious if anything under 200$ sounds better than the Kappas I bought or are the Kappa's considered good?
Old 02-04-2012   #8

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 49 Viggen will become famous soon enoughViggen will become famous soon enoughViggen will become famous soon enoughViggen will become famous soon enoughViggen will become famous soon enoughViggen will become famous soon enough

yea... most of us do not have the means to try evey Speaker in a given size thus we go by what others state be it good or bad

I also purchased mine simply so when the kids are in my Car they have music back there vs only hearing my from components & morel sub. I didn't want/need the best.... & since you plan on selling your vehicle.... I would just keep it the way it is
Viggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012   #9

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 37 Sound-In-Waves will become famous soon enoughSound-In-Waves will become famous soon enoughSound-In-Waves will become famous soon enoughSound-In-Waves will become famous soon enoughSound-In-Waves will become famous soon enoughSound-In-Waves will become famous soon enough

Polk audio MM691, amazing sounding and won't burn a huge hole in your pocket.
Sound-In-Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012   #10
Upgrade Your Membership!

Turn it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggen View Post
yea... most of us do not have the means to try evey Speaker in a given size thus we go by what others state be it good or bad

I also purchased mine simply so when the kids are in my Car they have music back there vs only hearing my from components & morel sub. I didn't want/need the best.... & since you plan on selling your vehicle.... I would just keep it the way it is
Yeah, I am leaning that way.. the Infinity sound good just a little brighter then I like.
Old 02-04-2012   #11
Upgrade Your Membership!

Turn it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound-In-Waves View Post
I was curious about these.. I had tried to purchase the old MOMO 6x9s back in 2005 but htey wouldnt fit.. I cant remember if it was the door that was hitting or gear assembly for the window on the 2004 Dodge ram. These would clear a lot easier with that small magnet.
Old 02-05-2012   #12

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 37 Sound-In-Waves will become famous soon enoughSound-In-Waves will become famous soon enoughSound-In-Waves will become famous soon enoughSound-In-Waves will become famous soon enoughSound-In-Waves will become famous soon enoughSound-In-Waves will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got-Four-Eights View Post
I was curious about these.. I had tried to purchase the old MOMO 6x9s back in 2005 but htey wouldnt fit.. I cant remember if it was the door that was hitting or gear assembly for the window on the 2004 Dodge ram. These would clear a lot easier with that small magnet.
They use the neodymium(sp) magnets so they are actually increadibly light and not overly large but still very powerful. If I remember correctly I think the mounting depth was a little over 3". The only slight problem for space when mounting these is that they have external crossovers so you'll have to find space to mount these, but if you're looking for a great sounding 6x9 I expect you'll need that crossover.
Sound-In-Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012   #13
Upgrade Your Membership!

Turn it up!

Quote:
They use the neodymium(sp) magnets so they are actually increadibly light and not overly large but still very powerful. If I remember correctly I think the mounting depth was a little over 3". The only slight problem for space when mounting these is that they have external crossovers so you'll have to find space to mount these, but if you're looking for a great sounding 6x9 I expect you'll need that crossover.
Yeah, the infinity has some sort of an x-over box that hangs off of it.. pretty small though. I have hte room for that.. I may end up doing this. Thx for the advice.
Old 02-05-2012   #14
Upgrade Your Membership!

Turn it up!

Quote:
Yeah, the infinity has some sort of an x-over box that hangs off of it.. pretty small though. I have hte room for that.. I may end up doing this. Thx for the advice.
Old 02-05-2012   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 89 Hanatsu is a jewel in the roughHanatsu is a jewel in the roughHanatsu is a jewel in the roughHanatsu is a jewel in the roughHanatsu is a jewel in the roughHanatsu is a jewel in the roughHanatsu is a jewel in the roughHanatsu is a jewel in the roughHanatsu is a jewel in the roughHanatsu is a jewel in the roughHanatsu is a jewel in the rough

Heard a few 6x9"s. MTX (unknown model-alu cone 3way), DLS Classic 962/Reference model unknown, Infinity Kappa (not the newest series), Borschmann Reference 690.4, Audiotop (unknown model), Kenwood KFC-X693 and JL audio C2-690.

DLS 962 beats everyone by far imo, never heard such natural sounding coaxial. Normally hate 6x9s because most of them sound hideous. Not this one though. Separate crossover filters, 6/12dB LP/HP. Dunno of you got them in the US, if you do, take a good look at them

Hanatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012   #16
Upgrade Your Membership!

Turn it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanatsu View Post
Heard a few 6x9"s. MTX (unknown model-alu cone 3way), DLS Classic 962/Reference model unknown, Infinity Kappa (not the newest series), Borschmann Reference 690.4, Audiotop (unknown model), Kenwood KFC-X693 and JL audio C2-690.

DLS 962 beats everyone by far imo, never heard such natural sounding coaxial. Normally hate 6x9s because most of them sound hideous. Not this one though. Separate crossover filters, 6/12dB LP/HP. Dunno of you got them in the US, if you do, take a good look at them
I can get those for $150 in the US...
Old 02-05-2012   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 89 Hanatsu is a jewel in the roughHanatsu is a jewel in the roughHanatsu is a jewel in the roughHanatsu is a jewel in the roughHanatsu is a jewel in the roughHanatsu is a jewel in the roughHanatsu is a jewel in the roughHanatsu is a jewel in the roughHanatsu is a jewel in the roughHanatsu is a jewel in the roughHanatsu is a jewel in the rough

They go for over 200$ or so here. Listen to them if you can, don't think you'll be dissappointed.

Edit: 223,5$ to be exact lol...

Old 02-05-2012   #18
Upgrade Your Membership!

Turn it up!

Quote:
They go for over 200$ or so here. Listen to them if you can, don't think you'll be dissappointed.

Edit: 223,5$ to be exact lol...
Geeze.. so do they get as loud as the Kappa 6x9s? I notice they don't take as much Power but that doesn't always mean the output won't be as much. I like to jam my stuff loud and I need them to have some decent bass.

EDIT: ALso how do the 962 compare to the 3way 960 set?

Last edited by Got-Four-Eights; 02-05-2012 at 06:06 PM..
Old 02-06-2012   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 48 hilander999 will become famous soon enoughhilander999 will become famous soon enoughhilander999 will become famous soon enoughhilander999 will become famous soon enoughhilander999 will become famous soon enoughhilander999 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I have a set of these for rear fill to match the MM6501 comps in the front and they really do sound amazing. I tested them full range before making adjustments to use them as ambient rear fill. I will note that this line of POLK speakers does have about a 20 hour break-in period. I was not overly impressed with the 6501's up front untill about 15 hours at moderate levels, at that point they opened up quite a bit and sound spectacular.

I've always loved the POLK sound, so I am biased here.
hilander999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012   #20
Upgrade Your Membership!

Turn it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilander999 View Post
I have a set of these for rear fill to match the MM6501 comps in the front and they really do sound amazing. I tested them full range before making adjustments to use them as ambient rear fill. I will note that this line of POLK speakers does have about a 20 hour break-in period. I was not overly impressed with the 6501's up front untill about 15 hours at moderate levels, at that point they opened up quite a bit and sound spectacular.

I've always loved the POLK sound, so I am biased here.
Thanks for the input.. I wish I had more places I could hear these and of course the DLS 6x9s.
Old 02-06-2012   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got-Four-Eights View Post
Geeze.. so do they get as loud as the Kappa 6x9s? I notice they don't take as much Power but that doesn't always mean the output won't be as much. I like to jam my stuff loud and I need them to have some decent bass.

EDIT: ALso how do the 962 compare to the 3way 960 set?
Haven't owned any of them actually, these are some of the speakers I've listened to when I installed them for different people. I always hook the speakers up in test boxes outside the vehicle for 30h breakin, IB speakers like most 6x9s were put in 20lit/0,7ft│ enclosures sealed. After breakin I use to listen to some test tracks, of the coaxials I've listened to the DLS 962 sounded most lifelike, punchy midbass, natural midrange and a little bit resessed highs. They had pretty low higher order HD giving a warm character to the sound. Believe I damped the upper midrange a little otherwise they measured pretty flat outside of car.

They were not the loudest I've heard. The Borchmann has the honor to be the no.1 SPL coax I've heard so far (freakin insane that 6x9, there was no limit how loud it was lol...), however if you place a highpass at 40Hz@12dB there should be no problem with output.

Can't remember every speaker, exactly how they sounded. Do remember those who stood out from the rest though!

Old 02-06-2012   #22
Upgrade Your Membership!

Turn it up!

Quote:
Haven't owned any of them actually, these are some of the speakers I've listened to when I installed them for different people. I always hook the speakers up in test boxes outside the vehicle for 30h breakin, IB speakers like most 6x9s were put in 20lit/0,7ft│ enclosures sealed. After breakin I use to listen to some test tracks, of the coaxials I've listened to the DLS 962 sounded most lifelike, punchy midbass, natural midrange and a little bit resessed highs. They had pretty low higher order HD giving a warm character to the sound. Believe I damped the upper midrange a little otherwise they measured pretty flat outside of car.

They were not the loudest I've heard. The Borchmann has the honor to be the no.1 SPL coax I've heard so far (freakin insane that 6x9, there was no limit how loud it was lol...), however if you place a highpass at 40Hz@12dB there should be no problem with output.

Can't remember every speaker, exactly how they sounded. Do remember those who stood out from the rest though!
Thx for the input.. first person I have talked to who has heard the DLS 6x9s. I do wonder how the 960 set compare though.

2014 Mustang GT - Stock Deck w/Mosconi 6to8
ARC CXLR-4150 on Illusion Audio C8 comps active
Mosconi One 240.2 on Alumapro Alchemy 12"
WestCo RCA cables, IXOS 5 Farad CAP
Team Audionutz South
Old 02-06-2012   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

DLS is quite big in Sweden, after all it's a Swedish company. Heard lots of their products, even have their home audio tower speakers.

Difference between 960 and 962 is that 960 is 3-way and have intergrated filters, 962 have separate filters and they are 2-way. Haven't heard the 960 but I imagine the 962 have better crossovers and more warmth than 960. They have a coax called Reference R1073 too, which is a 7x10inch. Fits in the same mounting hole and have higher output. Since it's reference series it "should" be better, no idea if this is true though. Have better experience with their kits, their reference kits sounds good overall and are popular here in Sweden

Take a look yourself: DLS - Coaxials

Edit: There's a review of them here, although in Swedish... DLS 962 review

Old 02-06-2012   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

They are basicly saying that the strong side of the 962 is the midrange. It's built strong, the tweeter is turnable and possible to angle, you can set tweet level 0/-2/-4dB. They thought it to pretty detailed yet warm. It got 4,5/5 SQ rating, they complained a little about deep bass and that's why it didn't get a 5/5. I highpassed them at 40Hz not much output below there anyway.

Old 02-06-2012   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 135 WLDock will become famous soon enoughWLDock will become famous soon enoughWLDock will become famous soon enoughWLDock will become famous soon enoughWLDock will become famous soon enoughWLDock will become famous soon enough

6x9's? I guess I have not listened to any in a bit. I remember years ago (90's) I was on the same quest to find the best sounding 6x9 I went to every Car audio store/chain in may area. BOSTON ACOUSTICS had a 3-way back then that was the best thing I listened to. More recent I think I listened to one of the early sets of the PIONEER's with the Matrix cone that was similar to their PRS drivers and those sounded nice.

Like with all speakers, I'm sure the DLS, Soundstream, Boston, Pioneer, etc all make a good 6x9 but you really have to hear them to know how they compare and which you will like.
WLDock is offline   Reply With Quote