LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2012   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 80 slowsedan01 will become famous soon enoughslowsedan01 will become famous soon enoughslowsedan01 will become famous soon enoughslowsedan01 will become famous soon enoughslowsedan01 will become famous soon enoughslowsedan01 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to slowsedan01

Default What is the most WTF car audio product you've ever seen?

I saw something tonight and I had one of those WTF moment. Post yours.

WTF: Visor mount tweeter array

Just some stuff in a Honda Accord.

Last edited by slowsedan01; 02-23-2012 at 08:18 PM..
slowsedan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 91 ou812 has much to be proud ofou812 has much to be proud ofou812 has much to be proud ofou812 has much to be proud ofou812 has much to be proud ofou812 has much to be proud ofou812 has much to be proud ofou812 has much to be proud ofou812 has much to be proud ofou812 has much to be proud ofou812 has much to be proud of

Default Re: What is the most WTF car audio product you've ever seen?

I could probobly find something to post but I doubt I can top that. I wonder how many fools bought that?

ou812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 91 The A Train will become famous soon enoughThe A Train will become famous soon enoughThe A Train will become famous soon enoughThe A Train will become famous soon enoughThe A Train will become famous soon enoughThe A Train will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to The A Train

Paha "6-way 200w!" Id like to see someone send one of those 200w

Hybrid L1 Pros : Exodus Anarchy : Pioneer GM-X1022 : Pioneer GM-X1024
The A Train is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 96 benny is just really nicebenny is just really nicebenny is just really nicebenny is just really nicebenny is just really nicebenny is just really nicebenny is just really nicebenny is just really nicebenny is just really nicebenny is just really nicebenny is just really nice

line arrays!
benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 58 pat_smith1969 will become famous soon enoughpat_smith1969 will become famous soon enoughpat_smith1969 will become famous soon enoughpat_smith1969 will become famous soon enoughpat_smith1969 will become famous soon enoughpat_smith1969 will become famous soon enough

I don't have a link but...
that thing that attaches to the underside of your seat and shakes when the base hits, to simulate subwoofers. it doesn't actually make bass but just shakes your seat.

Please don't listen to anything I just wrote, I am probably lying. If I am not lying then I am probably just plain wrong.
Current Build Log and My New Rear End
pat_smith1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 71 Cruzer is on a distinguished roadCruzer is on a distinguished roadCruzer is on a distinguished roadCruzer is on a distinguished roadCruzer is on a distinguished road

probably not a good one, but my most personal wtf moment, got done with install and tune. went to bed, woke up next day went to listen and sub didnt turn on, sub amp didnt turn on. was so confused i hadnt touched it i just went to bed.

somehow the sub amp turned to slave instead of master and took me like all day to figure it out as i never would have thought it would have gotten bumped and switched

i too wonder how many bought that visor setup lmao

Head Unit: Pioneer 800PRS | Tweets: Dayton DC28F Silk | Mids: Dayton RS180 | Speaker Amp: Infinity Kappa Four | Sub: Dayton HO 15" | Sub Amp: AQ1200D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIKk6...ature=youtu.be
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...b-install.html
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012   #7
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 41 underdog will become famous soon enoughunderdog will become famous soon enoughunderdog will become famous soon enoughunderdog will become famous soon enoughunderdog will become famous soon enoughunderdog will become famous soon enough

Alpine KTP-445U power pack
45 x 4 watt amp that uses so little power; they claim you can wire it into your head units (fused 15 amp) power wire.
Guess that is more of the new micro amp stuff.

Not car audio.
Plasma speaker / Tweeter 2 - YouTube
underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012   #8

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 30 MoparMike will become famous soon enoughMoparMike will become famous soon enoughMoparMike will become famous soon enoughMoparMike will become famous soon enoughMoparMike will become famous soon enoughMoparMike will become famous soon enough

This isn't car audio related but I saw a Pontiac Gran Am that the a/c had gone out on. The owner's solution was to cut a hole in the roof and mount a window unit a/c designed for a house. He had run a power cable from under the hood to the outside of the car and up the A-pillar, with duct tape of course. There were several pieces of aluminum sheet that were formed into a vent with duct tape and caulk that fed the cool air into the cabin. This car was parked at a dealership and as I was standing there looking at it a salesman came up laughing, he told me that the owner was inside haggling on its trade in value.
MoparMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 84 rc10mike will become famous soon enoughrc10mike will become famous soon enoughrc10mike will become famous soon enoughrc10mike will become famous soon enoughrc10mike will become famous soon enoughrc10mike will become famous soon enough

Probably everything from Critical Mass and AC Shockwave.

Ive used a pair of UL12s and they were pretty amazing.

You say at 70mph you cant hear a difference? Does this mean at 35 you can?
rc10mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 84 rc10mike will become famous soon enoughrc10mike will become famous soon enoughrc10mike will become famous soon enoughrc10mike will become famous soon enoughrc10mike will become famous soon enoughrc10mike will become famous soon enough

dbl poast

You say at 70mph you cant hear a difference? Does this mean at 35 you can?
rc10mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 85 The Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsedan01 View Post
I saw something tonight and I had one of those WTF moment. Post yours.

WTF: Visor mount tweeter array
Clarion did these 1st:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuickGN View Post
Regardless, I agree with Baron

The Baron Groog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 85 The Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the roughThe Baron Groog is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdog View Post
Alpine KTP-445U power pack
45 x 4 watt amp that uses so little power; they claim you can wire it into your head units (fused 15 amp) power wire.
Guess that is more of the new micro amp stuff.

Not car audio.
Plasma speaker / Tweeter 2 - YouTube
Not used the KTP-445U, but a friend fits them regulary and says they're good for what they are-cheap boost to power.

Plasma tweeters have huge potential-about as low a moving mass as you can get...

For me it's the cheap ass bass boxes with piezo tweeters in them-just how are you going to hear the tweeter from your boot (like you'd even want to!)

Quote:

Old 02-24-2012   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

Back Yard Installer

Rep Power: 116 IBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Baron Groog View Post
Not used the KTP-445U, but a friend fits them regulary and says they're good for what they are-cheap boost to power.

Plasma tweeters have huge potential-about as low a moving mass as you can get...

For me it's the cheap ass bass boxes with piezo tweeters in them-just how are you going to hear the tweeter from your boot (like you'd even want to!)
I think the designer's mind, was stuck in the 80's, when they thought this one up.

IBcivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBcivic View Post
I think the designer's mind, was stuck in the 80's, when they thought this one up.

They've been churned out since then, probably one family in China working their tits off

Quote:

Old 02-24-2012   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 81 Bayboy is a name known to allBayboy is a name known to allBayboy is a name known to allBayboy is a name known to allBayboy is a name known to allBayboy is a name known to allBayboy is a name known to allBayboy is a name known to allBayboy is a name known to allBayboy is a name known to allBayboy is a name known to all

I remember that boombox! In fact it did start in the 80's although there is an updated one with an idock. Great retro product there IMO! ... Don't laugh people... Lasonic gained a lot of respect back in the USA's break dancing era peak with it's giant woofers, dual tape deck, EQ and other neat stuff. The damn thing was loud and played clean while sucking the crap out of your D batteries! Later was rca & a few others when they actually started making internal subwoofers consisting of some type of high excursion mini sub or bandpass design. Should have torn one apart to actually see the design... "Hyperbass" was the usual term used for the designs. Then came the wOOx decades later.. Like my father always said, "There's nothing new under the sun, what y'all are doing has already been done before!" RIP pops...

Now the WTF product (although it's not actually made for car audio) is the damn bullhorn stuck in someones grill blaring distorted midrange! WHY, WHY WHY?!!!!
Bayboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

My ex got me one of these:

WTF didn't even begin to cover what I was thinking, it literally says stupid Homerisms when you push the button, she couldn't have been further from the mark if she was aiming at the Moon and hit Jupiter. It was about then that I realised we weren't meant to be!

Quote:

Old 02-24-2012   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 71 Cruzer is on a distinguished roadCruzer is on a distinguished roadCruzer is on a distinguished roadCruzer is on a distinguished roadCruzer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparMike View Post
This isn't car audio related but I saw a Pontiac Gran Am that the a/c had gone out on. The owner's solution was to cut a hole in the roof and mount a window unit a/c designed for a house. He had run a power cable from under the hood to the outside of the car and up the A-pillar, with duct tape of course. There were several pieces of aluminum sheet that were formed into a vent with duct tape and caulk that fed the cool air into the cabin. This car was parked at a dealership and as I was standing there looking at it a salesman came up laughing, he told me that the owner was inside haggling on its trade in value.
thats a good WTF even if it isnt car audio related

Head Unit: Pioneer 800PRS | Tweets: Dayton DC28F Silk | Mids: Dayton RS180 | Speaker Amp: Infinity Kappa Four | Sub: Dayton HO 15" | Sub Amp: AQ1200D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIKk6...ature=youtu.be
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...b-install.html
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012   #18

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 33 marvnmars will become famous soon enoughmarvnmars will become famous soon enoughmarvnmars will become famous soon enoughmarvnmars will become famous soon enoughmarvnmars will become famous soon enoughmarvnmars will become famous soon enough

anyone remember the jvc enclosed speakers, they had i think a 6x9 and a seperates version w/5 1/4" and 2 tweeters in an enclosed hard plastic box, these where ment to be bolted down into the rear shelf (but most people never did) so when they made a panic stop or where in an accident the speakers became projectiles... also the array of 6x9", boom box sepakers, home cabnet, and or any other loose speaker on the deck... made me think of darwin"s law... also, why are chrome stick on fender vents popular?
marvnmars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012   #19

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 56 Vital will become famous soon enoughVital will become famous soon enoughVital will become famous soon enoughVital will become famous soon enoughVital will become famous soon enoughVital will become famous soon enough

Best sub box ever. Period.

It can be sealed, vented or ported - whatever you want it to be.
It also houses your amp so it doesn't have to take any room out of your car. I don't understand why this didn't become a hit among car audio community.

2008 Nissan Altima
Kenwood DNX9960, Arc Audio XEQ & IDX
Polk Audio SR6500, SR124dvc, PA500.4 & PA1200.1
Vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 41 avanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enough

*sun visor CD storage pockets
*8-track tape players. High fidelity, bump stability AND no interruptions!
*Installations using clear panels with LED light strings, Goth art amplifiers and exposed drivers in the kick panels.
*aluminum dome death metal tweeters (you know the ones).
avanti1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 41 avanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vital View Post

It also houses your amp so it doesn't have to take any room out of your car. I don't understand why this didn't become a hit among car audio community.

NICE! Looks great right next to that gas can! Maybe the can should also be tucked under the sub enclosure?
avanti1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 42 StockA4 will become famous soon enoughStockA4 will become famous soon enoughStockA4 will become famous soon enoughStockA4 will become famous soon enoughStockA4 will become famous soon enoughStockA4 will become famous soon enoughStockA4 will become famous soon enough

Who thought this nonsense was a good idea?!
StockA4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 80 slowsedan01 will become famous soon enoughslowsedan01 will become famous soon enoughslowsedan01 will become famous soon enoughslowsedan01 will become famous soon enoughslowsedan01 will become famous soon enoughslowsedan01 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockA4 View Post

Who thought this nonsense was a good idea?!
IDK - great amp, silly cosmetics. Thank God they re-released them w/ that stupid cover.

Old 02-24-2012   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti1960 View Post
*sun visor CD storage pockets
*8-track tape players. High fidelity, bump stability AND no interruptions!
*Installations using clear panels with LED light strings, Goth art amplifiers and exposed drivers in the kick panels.
*aluminum dome death metal tweeters (you know the ones).
I actually used to like my CD visor pocket thank you very much.

Old 02-24-2012   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 81 Bayboy is a name known to allBayboy is a name known to allBayboy is a name known to allBayboy is a name known to allBayboy is a name known to allBayboy is a name known to allBayboy is a name known to allBayboy is a name known to allBayboy is a name known to allBayboy is a name known to allBayboy is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vital View Post

Ohhhhhh! So that's what you guys mean by IB in a hatchback...
Bayboy is offline   Reply With Quote