**Stupidest thing anyone has said to you (audio wise)** - Page 10 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2012   #226

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 0 mark620 will become famous soon enoughmark620 will become famous soon enoughmark620 will become famous soon enoughmark620 will become famous soon enoughmark620 will become famous soon enoughmark620 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: **Stupidest thing anyone has said to you (audio wise)**

I worked part time at a Car audio place my buddy owned in the 90s. A guy pulled up in a nissan maximia pimped out with pyrimid clear sub woofers...Yeah clear... and said " I need the amp thats makes my subs light up when the bass hits" he said my subs have neon built in and I need the amp that powers the neon...I replied we sell Zapco but I don't think that will make your subs light up with color but they will light up for sure...
mark620 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2012   #227
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 77 hilander999 will become famous soon enoughhilander999 will become famous soon enoughhilander999 will become famous soon enoughhilander999 will become famous soon enoughhilander999 will become famous soon enoughhilander999 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danometal View Post
Those are the coaxials, right? If so, that's the problem. The tweeters can't be knocked back altogether. Going active with the 6501 set enabled me to totally rework the default sound.

I drive a Saturn L200 btw.
Stupid question, but what do you mean by "Knocked Back" ?

hilander999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012   #228
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 104 Danometal will become famous soon enoughDanometal will become famous soon enoughDanometal will become famous soon enoughDanometal will become famous soon enoughDanometal will become famous soon enoughDanometal will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilander999 View Post
Stupid question, but what do you mean by "Knocked Back" ?
Not a stupid question at all! That means turned down in relation to the mids in an active configuration. It actually pulls the sound beyond the rear view mirrors for a nice wide stage in my experience, and also cannot be localized.

Mids seem to respond best to time alignment, and tweeters seem to respond best to level adjusting. So easy to do with just an old school style analog active crossover. (Cache CEX is what mine is)
Danometal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012   #229
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 77 hilander999 will become famous soon enoughhilander999 will become famous soon enoughhilander999 will become famous soon enoughhilander999 will become famous soon enoughhilander999 will become famous soon enoughhilander999 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Not a stupid question at all! That means turned down in relation to the mids in an active configuration. It actually pulls the sound beyond the rear view mirrors for a nice wide stage in my experience, and also cannot be localized.

Mids seem to respond best to time alignment, and tweeters seem to respond best to level adjusting. So easy to do with just an old school style analog active crossover. (Cache CEX is what mine is)
Thats what I figured, but then again I hear people use words in "Strange Meanings" all the time.

I'm running the Polk MM6501's active, and yeah I would not want the tweeters to loud. I set the level on the midranges where they sound best to me, then fill in the high end with the tweeters untill I like the way they blend together.

After setting TA on the mids, I added another 8MS delay to both sides and the front stage really opened up. Close your eyes and you cannot tell where the sound is comming from.

Old 09-08-2012   #230
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 87 Spyke will become famous soon enoughSpyke will become famous soon enoughSpyke will become famous soon enoughSpyke will become famous soon enoughSpyke will become famous soon enoughSpyke will become famous soon enoughSpyke will become famous soon enoughSpyke will become famous soon enough

Quote:
+1 on that. I can't stand the "in your face" sound of an overly bright system.
Spyke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012   #231
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 104 Danometal will become famous soon enoughDanometal will become famous soon enoughDanometal will become famous soon enoughDanometal will become famous soon enoughDanometal will become famous soon enoughDanometal will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilander999 View Post
Thats what I figured, but then again I hear people use words in "Strange Meanings" all the time.

I'm running the Polk MM6501's active, and yeah I would not want the tweeters to loud. I set the level on the midranges where they sound best to me, then fill in the high end with the tweeters untill I like the way they blend together.

After setting TA on the mids, I added another 8MS delay to both sides and the front stage really opened up. Close your eyes and you cannot tell where the sound is comming from.
Yep. You get to enjoy this truth yourself. Polk MM is a great line. I helped Build a system for the wife's cousin using PPI amps and Polk speakers, and his MM12 sounds great. If someone hates on Polk for not setting it up properly, we can simply post their stupid comments on this here thread. lol
Old 09-08-2012   #232
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 87 Spyke will become famous soon enoughSpyke will become famous soon enoughSpyke will become famous soon enoughSpyke will become famous soon enoughSpyke will become famous soon enoughSpyke will become famous soon enoughSpyke will become famous soon enoughSpyke will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Yep. You get to enjoy this truth yourself. Polk MM is a great line. I helped Build a system for the wife's cousin using PPI amps and Polk speakers, and his MM12 sounds great. If someone hates on Polk for not setting it up properly, we can simply post their stupid comments on this here thread. lol
Polk sucks...Boss audio is where the shits at yo.

Edit:

I forgot that sarcasm isn't apparent sometimes.
Old 09-08-2012   #233
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyke View Post

Edit:

Haha, maybe if you weren't a regular here on diyma, someone could take that seriously. You better believe that somebody, in a parking lot somewhere, who has reached the end of their knowledge... is delivering that very line to some poor guy's undivided attention.
Old 09-08-2012   #234
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyke View Post

Edit:

One of the kids I work with told me this...
"If you really wanna crank shit out you'd grab some soundstreams"

Course after he heard it, was blown away.

Old 09-09-2012   #235
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Haha, maybe if you weren't a regular here on diyma, someone could take that seriously. You better believe that somebody, in a parking lot somewhere, who has reached the end of their knowledge... is delivering that very line to some poor guy's undivided attention.
I'm sure.
Old 09-09-2012   #236

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 60 Dejected Cheese will become famous soon enoughDejected Cheese will become famous soon enoughDejected Cheese will become famous soon enoughDejected Cheese will become famous soon enoughDejected Cheese will become famous soon enoughDejected Cheese will become famous soon enough

This one just happened yesterday...

I told my cousin (only 20) that I was upgrading my truck's sound system. He proceeds to show me his Car and "his" system. He had 2 12" Sony Xlplods (huge ported box <-for extra "bang") and the cheapest JVC DVD HU (it was in the wrong dash kit and wobbled the whole time); he still has factory speakers unamplified.

He turned up his music a bit and it "bumped" much like I expected. He explained it was rock music on (all I heard was "bump") and that he could put a rap CD in to really start "banging."

When he asked me what I was putting in my truck, I show him a picture of my 2 ID8s. He asked me if those were 15s? (In his defense the picture did make them look bigger) <--thats what she said...

When I told him they were 8s, he looked a little confused and offered up some words of encouragement..."well I'm sure they will bump, maybe not like mine, but the bang will sound good (smiles)"...

I explained I hope they would not sound like his "bump" as this would mean I really screwed up my tuning...he just looked puzzled.

He must of thought I was trying to be modest, and offered..."naw, they are gonna bang, dont worry, they will be legit."

Oh, I cant wait to get my crap installed.

2009 F-150 Supercrew
Dejected Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2012   #237
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 98 SQ Audi is a name known to allSQ Audi is a name known to allSQ Audi is a name known to allSQ Audi is a name known to allSQ Audi is a name known to allSQ Audi is a name known to allSQ Audi is a name known to allSQ Audi is a name known to allSQ Audi is a name known to allSQ Audi is a name known to allSQ Audi is a name known to all

two legit to quit

Joe Wallis
2013 Hyundai Elantra Limited (aka "Sandy"), 2007 A4 (SOLD)
Roadmaster 6.5 Dual Cones, 1.5" bullet Tweeters, Dual 12" bandpass, Realistic 200x2 1500w MAX It bangs!
SQ Audi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2012   #238
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
Radio Randy
Position:
owner

Rep Power: 130 ATOMICTECH62 is a jewel in the roughATOMICTECH62 is a jewel in the roughATOMICTECH62 is a jewel in the roughATOMICTECH62 is a jewel in the roughATOMICTECH62 is a jewel in the roughATOMICTECH62 is a jewel in the roughATOMICTECH62 is a jewel in the roughATOMICTECH62 is a jewel in the roughATOMICTECH62 is a jewel in the roughATOMICTECH62 is a jewel in the roughATOMICTECH62 is a jewel in the rough

I have seen some crazy things from your average moron but shop owners no excuse.
I was in a shop talking to the owner when a customer came in with a blown pair of tweeters that were under warranty.He swapped them out,the customer left,he turned to me and said thats unusual,we never see blown tweeters the caps always explode before a tweeter goes out.After some questions from me he goes to the back and comes out with a 2.2microfarad cap with a 50volt rating and tells me how the always put them at the amp in series with the supplied crossover that comes with the tweeters when they install them.I asked him about the effects of the crossover frequency by doing this and he said thats up to the one that comes with the tweeters.I asked him if they sell many electronic crossovers.He says we havnt sold one of those in 15 years because the amps already have them built in.
Me and another shop owner were talking about a certain line of odd brand subs that looked promising.He told me he didnt buy them because they only came in single voice coils and couldnt understand why anybody would make such a sub because if he needs a single 4 ohm he just uses one coil on the duals.
Both of these shops Build custom boxes and neither one has any type of box building software and if they did would not know how to use it.
ATOMICTECH62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2012   #239
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

Rep Power: 249 thehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud of

Two phrases-

sub stage. Why? We don't have tweeter stages...

SQL.
thehatedguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2012   #240
DIYMA 500 Club

more SQ

Rep Power: 192 captainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereo_luver View Post
Off the shelf drivers sold at most retailers....LOL

Chuck

Edit: At PA & GA State Finals and Meca World Finals I used drivers that kept the judges guessing and asking what brand they were. I'll never tell....LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
Hmm why so secretive?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stereo_luver View Post
It's a Team thing. If you went to a fishing tournament and won would you tell where you cast? What crankbait, lure, jig or anything you used? I'm not trying to be a smart ass. I'm just keeping it to myself and my Team.

Chuck

Sorry to derail this thread, but this sort of thing fascinates me. The only possible reason I can see for not making your gear known is when you feel you would be judged poorly based on the brand name. And if that's the case, your being judged by someone who has no business being one and they should be called out for it.

There is ZERO competitve advantage lost otherwise. It's asanine to think that me saying I run Speaker X means that someone else can effectively simulate what I've done. It would require first and foremost, the SAME vehicle. But also, the exact same install and materials, exact same components used throughout signal and amplification as well as processing, and it would require the exact same tune. In otherwords, virtually impossible.

It baffles me when I see this. In fact, no offense meant personally, but that kind of thing is perfect for this thread actually, now that I think about it.

------------------------------------------------------
2016 Pennsylvania State Champion- MECA Modex
2016 National Points Champion- MECA Modex
2016 National Points Champion- IASCA Amateur
captainobvious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2012   #241
DIYMA 500 Club

more SQ

Rep Power: 192 captainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of lightcaptainobvious is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by benny View Post
SL1 ftw!
Hahah Bennay, my budy has one too and I would have told him after seeing that picture, "At least it's heading in the right direction"

------------------------------------------------------
2016 Pennsylvania State Champion- MECA Modex
2016 National Points Champion- MECA Modex
2016 National Points Champion- IASCA Amateur
captainobvious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2012   #242
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 261 pocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainobvious View Post
Sorry to derail this thread, but this sort of thing fascinates me. The only possible reason I can see for not making your gear known is when you feel you would be judged poorly based on the brand name. And if that's the case, your being judged by someone who has no business being one and they should be called out for it.

There is ZERO competitve advantage lost otherwise. It's asanine to think that me saying I run Speaker X means that someone else can effectively simulate what I've done. It would require first and foremost, the SAME vehicle. But also, the exact same install and materials, exact same components used throughout signal and amplification as well as processing, and it would require the exact same tune. In otherwords, virtually impossible.

It baffles me when I see this. In fact, no offense meant personally, but that kind of thing is perfect for this thread actually, now that I think about it.
All three paragraphs are spot on.

Team MSE/JL Audio
2014 INAC Amateur runner up
2014/2015 MECA Modex OK state champion

Online Time Alignment Calculator
pocket5s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2012   #243

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 68 mos805 will become famous soon enoughmos805 will become famous soon enoughmos805 will become famous soon enoughmos805 will become famous soon enoughmos805 will become famous soon enoughmos805 will become famous soon enough

This coming from a friend who has purchased a clean 1963 Impala, matching numbers car. Not perfect but considering it is original it is nice. He starts talking to me about the plans for the stereo, that it will hurt him to cut the rear deck, especially if he wants to sell the Car and get what he really wants, a 1961 Impala, but he says he needs sound in there. I explained that instead of cutting the rear deck find someone to Build a set of kick panels in and either mount a set of coaxial speakers or a decent component set in, rears are not needed and he can remove the kicks if he does decide to sell the Car down the line. After explaining the benefits he responds "nah I need the four 6x9s in the rear deck, Sergio (another friend) said he can hook it up good and with four it will sound CLEAN!" I gave him a decent option to keep the car stock as possible and he still wants to cut it
mos805 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2012   #244
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

Rep Power: 249 thehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud of

Generally when it's a team thing, it can mean the team or part of the team is using speakers other than what the company who sponsors them produces.

Quote:

Old 09-10-2012   #245

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 75 shnitz will become famous soon enoughshnitz will become famous soon enoughshnitz will become famous soon enoughshnitz will become famous soon enoughshnitz will become famous soon enoughshnitz will become famous soon enough

Quote:

I disagree. They're trade secrets, just like you'd find in ANYTHING. Whether you're talking about smaller companies, larger corporations, sports teams, or even countries, then you will find that people like to guard their secrets of success.
shnitz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2012   #246
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 261 pocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnitz View Post
I disagree. They're trade secrets, just like you'd find in ANYTHING. Whether you're talking about smaller companies, larger corporations, sports teams, or even countries, then you will find that people like to guard their secrets of success.
That seems a bit much. Trade secrets are generally in place to protect the financial welfare of a company.

Besides, as previously mentioned, the real secrets come from the install and tune. And both are largely dependent on the specific vehicle. For example, yesterday I heard a vehicle that won finals in my class (Todd's GTi. screen name "highly"). I could buy every single component he has and it wouldn't mean squat in my truck. If I too got a GTi and put the same components in the same install location (Todd isn't afraid to show you) I would get closer, but without knowing his eq, ta and crossovers I still wouldn't get anywhere near his level of tune. Heck most guys I've talked to will even tell you where they cross over their drivers, so that leaves even less on the table.

Some guys like Mark Eldridge with a setup that is really outside the norm will tell pretty much anything you want to know about the physical setup of his car. no one is duplicating it and the cars that come very, very close to scoring like his have vastly different setups.

Todd pulls the panels off his dash and says "see, there it is". Given that his setup isn't exactly "textbook" or common practice is even better. What _could_ be a secret isn't.

So to me, hiding brand information for the sake of a success rate is just being delusional and/or dramatic to little effect. If you are hiding it cause you are on team " brand A" and you aren't using team "brand A"'s products, well that is a different story completely.

Team MSE/JL Audio
2014 INAC Amateur runner up
2014/2015 MECA Modex OK state champion

Online Time Alignment Calculator
pocket5s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2012   #247

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 61 donnieL72 will become famous soon enoughdonnieL72 will become famous soon enoughdonnieL72 will become famous soon enoughdonnieL72 will become famous soon enoughdonnieL72 will become famous soon enoughdonnieL72 will become famous soon enough

It could be that a sponsored team might be using drivers that are not available to the general public and are doing in field R&D for future products. I have seen this before.

Some of the brightest people in the world are Bi-Polar. It doesn't seem to work with me.........
donnieL72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2012   #248

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 60 Dejected Cheese will become famous soon enoughDejected Cheese will become famous soon enoughDejected Cheese will become famous soon enoughDejected Cheese will become famous soon enoughDejected Cheese will become famous soon enoughDejected Cheese will become famous soon enough

Really??

Enough on these mystery drivers already.

He said he is not going to tell anyone for whatever the reason he has.

So why can't it be dropped and the thread move on.

2009 F-150 Supercrew
Dejected Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2012   #249

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 72 hirino will become famous soon enoughhirino will become famous soon enoughhirino will become famous soon enoughhirino will become famous soon enoughhirino will become famous soon enoughhirino will become famous soon enough

ithis is one of my favorites , i walk into my local Car audio shop and ask if they have an o-scope to tune and the guy rants for 20 minutes on how he has never used one and they are a rip off . so i ask what do u use he says my ears lol. so i ask hoe the hell do u detect distortion on high Power subs ???needless to say i walked out .
hirino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2012   #250
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

It could be, but most of the time in the past it has been because they were using drivers from another company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnieL72 View Post
It could be that a sponsored team might be using drivers that are not available to the general public and are doing in field R&D for future products. I have seen this before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement