**Stupidest thing anyone has said to you (audio wise)** - Page 115 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2016   #2851
DIYMA 500 Club

do it yourself

Rep Power: 40112 schmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: **Stupidest thing anyone has said to you (audio wise)**

Apparently he thinks water can't get to a Speaker through the box or port, or that salt water is not bad for speakers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...b66_story.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flooded subs.jpg (68.7 KB, 344 views)

“When you want to help people, you tell them the truth. When you want to help yourself, you tell them what they want to hear.” ― Thomas Sowell
schmiddr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2016   #2852
DIYMA 500 Club

iNCORRECT pOLITICALLY

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 243 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Guess he thought the tub thumb of that bandpass was worth saving...

2014 Grand Cherokee Limited-bone stock "premium" 10 speaker system for now. In the works-JL Fix, c-dsp 6x8, JL XD800/8, stock rears controlled properly by minidsp 2x4 with rear fill plug-in, Arc 10, SB Acoustics SB17NRXC35-4, Seas neo aluminum
Hillbilly SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2016   #2853

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 46 Bitter will become famous soon enoughBitter will become famous soon enoughBitter will become famous soon enoughBitter will become famous soon enoughBitter will become famous soon enoughBitter will become famous soon enough

May have been the most valuable thing he thought he could salvage.
Bitter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2016   #2854
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 82 ryanr7386 will become famous soon enoughryanr7386 will become famous soon enoughryanr7386 will become famous soon enoughryanr7386 will become famous soon enoughryanr7386 will become famous soon enoughryanr7386 will become famous soon enoughryanr7386 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebs View Post
i was on offer up and i saw this ad for some Boston Acoustics 6x9s and 6.5s for $130. he said that one set were boston z6. I was like cool. I call him and it turns out it is a pawn shop. So i text him for pics and he tells me that they are in great shape and working. so i ask for a picture. he sends me these.

Free Air Version!

1994 Ford Thunderbird SC System - Undecided on HU, Helix DSP Pro, ADS Amps & Speakers. On Going Build
ryanr7386 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2016   #2855

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 46 Bitter will become famous soon enoughBitter will become famous soon enoughBitter will become famous soon enoughBitter will become famous soon enoughBitter will become famous soon enoughBitter will become famous soon enough

Ok. Not audio but electrical, Ford built the 91 Capri headlight circuit with two single points of failure. All headlight Power passes through a single 30A fuse which is a case style and then through a single set of switch contacts. What the heck! Any short will smoke the fuse which puts out high and low beams both sides! And will likely melt the plastics housing on the switch or at least heat the brass bar inside enough to case connectivity problems going forward. Now you might say that fuses don't often pop and wires are pretty stationary. Nope, pop up lights!

I'm wiring up a set of dedicated relays and Power direct from the battery to take load off the switch and reduce the scope of a failure to a single filament. A little redundant but lights are such a safety critical part of the car.
Bitter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2016   #2856
DIYMA 500 Club

Hungry all the time

Rep Power: 135 fcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by QualitySound View Post
But in both cases, each of them is unaware of the responses, or misunderstands the responses, of other people. If so, could that be related to narcissism? An inability or unwillingness to empathize?
Nah, I think they are just clueless.
fcarpio is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2016   #2857
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 97 ebrahim will become famous soon enoughebrahim will become famous soon enoughebrahim will become famous soon enoughebrahim will become famous soon enoughebrahim will become famous soon enoughebrahim will become famous soon enough

One of the girls I use to go to university worked at a pawn shop. Basically if the Speaker makes a sound from the amp that it was hooked up to they claim it works. However one of my co workers got burned when they sold him a subwoofer that needed refoamed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ebrahim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #2858

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 restless.skies will become famous soon enoughrestless.skies will become famous soon enoughrestless.skies will become famous soon enoughrestless.skies will become famous soon enoughrestless.skies will become famous soon enoughrestless.skies will become famous soon enough

"An infinite baffle? In 2016? Subs go in a sealed or ported box and that's it."
Turned around and left immediately. This coming from the owner of a shop nearby who has supposedly been in the Car audio scene since the late 80's...
restless.skies is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #2859
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 232 quality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nice

"I blew my BMs because I used an amp that was too small and it clipped."

quality_sound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #2860
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 96 PorkCereal will become famous soon enoughPorkCereal will become famous soon enoughPorkCereal will become famous soon enoughPorkCereal will become famous soon enoughPorkCereal will become famous soon enoughPorkCereal will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
Ya, that was a little funny

'15 Focus ST, SI M25, TM65v1, BM MKiv x2, ARC 1200.6, JBL MS 8
PorkCereal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #2861
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 71 HulkSmash will become famous soon enoughHulkSmash will become famous soon enoughHulkSmash will become famous soon enoughHulkSmash will become famous soon enoughHulkSmash will become famous soon enoughHulkSmash will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by restless.skies View Post
"An infinite baffle? In 2016? Subs go in a sealed or ported box and that's it."
Turned around and left immediately. This coming from the owner of a shop nearby who has supposedly been in the Car audio scene since the late 80's...
I called a nearby shop to talk to them about a few ideas. I mentioned using a IB sub. He asked me how old I was...I laughed and told him (40). He said that I had to be around his age to ask about IB these days.
HulkSmash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #2862
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 96 PorkCereal will become famous soon enoughPorkCereal will become famous soon enoughPorkCereal will become famous soon enoughPorkCereal will become famous soon enoughPorkCereal will become famous soon enoughPorkCereal will become famous soon enough

Was told this the other day. I couldn't get this guy to understand anything other than his view

'so staging vocals and sound is something you should do in a car? buy a 4 door Car and screw who ever is in the back seat so they can't hear anything, while you jam out in the front seat? makes sense for a coupe with useless back seat or a roadster'

'15 Focus ST, SI M25, TM65v1, BM MKiv x2, ARC 1200.6, JBL MS 8
PorkCereal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #2863
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 128 I800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of light

A salesman told me that Hertz subwoofer was THE ONLY sub whose sensitivity went up the lower it played

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Don't mistake activity for accomplishment.
My '13 Jetta build...not finished
I800C0LLECT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #2864

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 14 Pariah Zero will become famous soon enoughPariah Zero will become famous soon enoughPariah Zero will become famous soon enoughPariah Zero will become famous soon enoughPariah Zero will become famous soon enoughPariah Zero will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by I800C0LLECT View Post
A salesman told me that Hertz subwoofer was THE ONLY sub whose sensitivity went up the lower it played

Ah salesmen. They know enough buzzwords to sound knowledgeable to the average clueless schmuck, and like an idiot with a word a day calendar to everyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fun fact: The loudest posible undistorted SPL is ~ 194 dB.
Pariah Zero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #2865
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
L&D Automotive
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 120 LaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to LaserSVT

Quote:
Yeah that guy is an idiot.

LaserSVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #2866
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
L&D Automotive
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 120 LaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkCereal View Post
Ya, that was a little funny
Yes, I should have said "hurt" and not "blew". I figured people would take "blown" as just damaged which is what I was attempting to convey. I forget we live in a world of extreme specifics and if the exact correct term is not used you (I) am now stupid.

Old 1 Week Ago   #2867
DIYMA 500 Club

Hungry all the time

Rep Power: 135 fcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserSVT View Post
I forget we live in a world of extreme specifics and if the exact correct term is not used you (I) am now stupid.
LOL, that is called plain English.
Old 1 Week Ago   #2868
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
L&D Automotive
Position:
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcarpio View Post
LOL, that is called plain English.
Sorry, second language.

Old 1 Week Ago   #2869
DIYMA 500 Club

Hungry all the time

Quote:
Sorry, second language.
Not an excuse because 'Murica!

Btw, English is not my first language either.
Old 1 Week Ago   #2870
DIYMA 500 Club

iNCORRECT pOLITICALLY

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 243 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Sorry, second language.
What's your first language? How much I enunciate depends on the company, but tend to pour on the southern draw when I'm telling life stories that usually involves something that happened on the lake or in the woods

2014 Grand Cherokee Limited-bone stock "premium" 10 speaker system for now. In the works-JL Fix, c-dsp 6x8, JL XD800/8, stock rears controlled properly by minidsp 2x4 with rear fill plug-in, Arc 10, SB Acoustics SB17NRXC35-4, Seas neo aluminum
Old 1 Week Ago   #2871
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
L&D Automotive
Position:
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
What's your first language? How much I enunciate depends on the company, but tend to pour on the southern draw when I'm telling life stories that usually involves something that happened on the lake or in the woods
Bad English is my first language.

Old 1 Week Ago   #2872
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 232 quality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
I had this weird ass mix of English (proper tea and crumpets English, my mother is English) and coonass (I'm from Louisiana). Oddly, my dad has never had much of an accent but he moved to the US from Mexico when he was 11 so I guess he had more time to assimilate before I was born. I like to think he sounded like the Dos Equis guy.

quality_sound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #2873
DIYMA 500 Club

iNCORRECT pOLITICALLY

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Quote:
I had this weird ass mix of English (proper tea and crumpets English, my mother is English) and coonass (I'm from Louisiana). Oddly, my dad has never had much of an accent but he moved to the US from Mexico when he was 11 so I guess he had more time to assimilate before I was born. I like to think he sounded like the Dos Equis guy.
Does he drink the same beer the most interesting man in the world drinks "occasionally"?

I have a boss from Mass. and the other night I asked him if moving to the deep south was a culture shock for him. He said people thought he was a jerk because he didn't use an over-abundance of words. He said what he needed to say and that was it. Sometimes it's obvious he's trying too hard to fit in, but he's good people. Sometimes you just gotta be yourself.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement