**Stupidest thing anyone has said to you (audio wise)** - Page 2 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2012   #26

Banned

Rep Power: 0 Gpgtp will become famous soon enoughGpgtp will become famous soon enoughGpgtp will become famous soon enoughGpgtp will become famous soon enoughGpgtp will become famous soon enoughGpgtp will become famous soon enough

Default Re: **Stupidest thing anyone has said to you (audio wise)**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richv72 View Post
Dc audio subs sound good.
And arent a ripoff of old re drivers.
Gpgtp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2012   #27
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 104 Danometal will become famous soon enoughDanometal will become famous soon enoughDanometal will become famous soon enoughDanometal will become famous soon enoughDanometal will become famous soon enoughDanometal will become famous soon enough

Speaking of DD...

When I made the dreadful miscalculation of buying a DD sub, I asked the shop owner I bought it from, "What's a good tuning frequency for this thing?"

He responded, "40 hz. DD designed them to play below tuning, so it will reach down to like 32 hz. That's really f-ing low."

Bad sub. Bad advice. Even worse price.
Danometal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012   #28
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 227 Horsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputeHorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputeHorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputeHorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputeHorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputeHorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputeHorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputeHorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputeHorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputeHorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputeHorsemanwill has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to Horsemanwill Send a message via MSN to Horsemanwill Send a message via Yahoo to Horsemanwill

you can't get the sound up high if you mount the speakers under the dash, referring to my horns

HU P01
Tru SB6 running ES ultra full body and (2) jbl w12gti
Tru S25 runing Mids 4 Silver Flute W17RC38-08
Horsemanwill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012   #29
DIYMA 500 Club

iNCORRECT pOLITICALLY

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 247 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danometal View Post
Speaking of DD...

When I made the dreadful miscalculation of buying a DD sub, I asked the shop owner I bought it from, "What's a good tuning frequency for this thing?"

He responded, "40 hz. DD designed them to play below tuning, so it will reach down to like 32 hz. That's really f-ing low."

Bad sub. Bad advice. Even worse price.
Actually you CAN get a DD sub to sound good. You just gotta either hit the sub with a woofer tester for specs or experiment with boxes. My 510 that I got for free in a drawing sounded best in 1.5 tuned to 32hz. It wasn't the most musical sub I've ever owned but it was still a great 50/50 sub. The box was just too effing big for my install!

As for the dumbest thing I've ever heard someone tell me, there are tons but I'll say one of the most recent ones. A guy I work with who's a big dreamer but never wants to spend the money to do it right said "I had a RF Prime amp that shreaded three subs. I finally had to quit using it". He was running them in a ported box with unknown tuning. I tried to explain to him what was going on but he's just another moron basshead that will never have a clue.

OEM U-Connect 8.4a, JL Fix 82, c-dsp 6x8, JL XD800/8, Soundstream TN1200.1, stock rears controlled properly by minidsp 2x4 with rear fill plug-in, ID15, SB Acoustics SB17NRXC35-4, Seas Neo Aluminum...HASTE MAKES WASTE
Hillbilly SQ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012   #30
DIYMA 500 Club

a boombox is not a toy

12V Company:
Malibu's Auto Center
Position:
Janitor/Install Manager

Rep Power: 118 jowens500 will become famous soon enoughjowens500 will become famous soon enoughjowens500 will become famous soon enoughjowens500 will become famous soon enoughjowens500 will become famous soon enoughjowens500 will become famous soon enough

Descriptions customers have given me over the years are pretty funny and I still use them today. I had an older Asian gentlemen tell me "my Speaker no listen". I also worked deep in the hood for a bit and had a gangster tell me "I gots me Speaker dat ain't playin, I dint even notice till I was ridin bitch side". Those are two of my favorites.

2009 USACi Basic Consumer World Champion (Installer)
2009 USACi mod2000-4000 4th place (Installer)
2009 USACi SB3 3rd place (Installer)
jowens500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012   #31
req
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 163 req is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of light

.Had a guy come in to circuit city while I was working there. He did his own install and said it was working yesterday, but he can't figure out why it isn't working anymore. I checked the fuses and they weren't blown, then i metered the Power Wire and it was fine. So i tested the remote line and it didn't give me more than a few volts with an erratic reading. So i followed back the remote line from the dash under the steering wheel and metered it there and got a solid 12v. So i kept going aft and pulled the driver side sill trim and the remote line was pinched under the clips and there was like 4 feet of melted copper/pvc under his carpet from that Wire shorting out. I hand him the wire and say you are lucky you are alive, your Car could have caught fire and exploded because you ran this right over your fuel access to your fuel pump under the rear seat. He said his friend did installs all the time. Yep, good friend he is lol

Then we got a new kid in the shop. We had a nissan Titan customer who brought all of his gear and was paying for the install only. He had two Power bass extreme 10's dvc4 in a truck box below the rear seats. He asked what I wanted him to do, and a basic thing is to install the subs in the box. He proceeds to unwrap everything and I make a point to watch him from in the truck (im running wire at this point). He hooks up one coil to the leads on the truck box and starts to screw the sub in. I run over real quick and ask what the hell he is doing, he proceeds to tell me that one set of terminals is all it needs and the second set of terminals is only for hooking another amp or sub up lol.

Apparently if you have a single dvc4 sub you can only use one of the 4 oh coils on a mono amp. :/

req is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012   #32
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 162 BuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to behold

I hate to mention this but it's one I got on the forums. A long time ago when I was thinking about going IB and asking a ton of questions I got some neat replies. It never made sense to me the rumor that sealed was louder than IB so I spent a bit of time proving that rumor wrong. One answer I got as the reason why sealed is louder than IB is cone "acceleration".

'84 GN 10.60@ 127mph.
'07 Epic Expert
'14 Trance SX with SRAM XX1 1x11 Drivetrain.
'06 TL.
BuickGN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012   #33
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
Rubyserv
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 97 trumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the rough

"Bass is more kind on the ears than treble" - a reply in regards to the risk of permanent hearing damage from listening to SPL systems

"Treble has an easier time getting into the ear because of the shorter wavelengths" - from the same person as above

My system: Clarion CX305, Massive Audio Core-1, Cerwin Vega V600.4, CV B2, CV V1500.1D, CDT ES-6CW, CDT ES1200iS, CV V465 rear fill, Dayton Titanic 12 in 2.0 cubes @ 36 Hz
trumpet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012   #34
DIYMA 500 Club

Back Yard Installer

Rep Power: 151 IBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really nice

A B-Buy sales clerk once told me "Audison?...you should not waste your money on flee-market brands and get you some Kicker amps"

IBcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012   #35
DIYMA 500 Club

Back Yard Installer

Rep Power: 151 IBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really nice

A local "high-end" Car audio sales clerk>>> "I don't think that mounting your no-name (read>>Acoustic Elegance) subs on a board (read>>IB), in that fashion, will sound good. You need to Build an enclosure out of MDF and not fiberglass, because rectangular boxes produce better bass, compared to any oddly shaped ,custom enclosures."

IBcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012   #36
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 132 benny is just really nicebenny is just really nicebenny is just really nicebenny is just really nicebenny is just really nicebenny is just really nicebenny is just really nicebenny is just really nicebenny is just really nicebenny is just really nicebenny is just really nice

It's bad up here, IBCivic.
benny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012   #37

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 95 eddieg will become famous soon enougheddieg will become famous soon enougheddieg will become famous soon enougheddieg will become famous soon enougheddieg will become famous soon enougheddieg will become famous soon enough

I actually saw an installer drill the GND terminal post screw right on to the fuel pump of a customer's car...

I onced told a guy that he should cut off his sub frequency lower, he asked me, what? you mean literally cut the sub in half???

That very same guy, sitting with me in my Car and I asked him, do you know why you don't seat in the middle of the car? -> when he asked why I just replied - because you don't wanna have the hand brake in your a#@...

Well... Life is Good

Subi Legacy 10: Morel+HAT CDM880&L1v1+HybridOvation 602 Sub Audison TH10 BASSO Audison VOCE AV5.1K FullDA Nexus7+SabreDAC with Audison Bit One running the show
eddieg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012   #38

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 64 Ole Skool will become famous soon enoughOle Skool will become famous soon enoughOle Skool will become famous soon enoughOle Skool will become famous soon enoughOle Skool will become famous soon enoughOle Skool will become famous soon enough

^^^^LOL at handbrake comment!!
Ole Skool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012   #39
DIYMA 500 Club

Fire Hazard

Rep Power: 88 decibelle will become famous soon enoughdecibelle will become famous soon enoughdecibelle will become famous soon enoughdecibelle will become famous soon enoughdecibelle will become famous soon enoughdecibelle will become famous soon enoughdecibelle will become famous soon enough

Last week I was out messing with the trunk and had some kid walk up to me, point to my sub and ask, "what's that, a turbo?"
decibelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012   #40
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 71 Richv72 will become famous soon enoughRichv72 will become famous soon enoughRichv72 will become famous soon enoughRichv72 will become famous soon enoughRichv72 will become famous soon enoughRichv72 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerlyte View Post
Last week I was out messing with the trunk and had some kid walk up to me, point to my sub and ask, "what's that, a turbo?"
I would have said yes it is.
Richv72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012   #41

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 60 tm4n6910 will become famous soon enoughtm4n6910 will become famous soon enoughtm4n6910 will become famous soon enoughtm4n6910 will become famous soon enoughtm4n6910 will become famous soon enoughtm4n6910 will become famous soon enough

I had an idiot just last night tell me he had a 150 watt rms amp that put out 1500 because kenwood made it. and his 200.00 dollar Car did 172db with his 1500 watt kenwood amp and 1 12 inch sub and 6x9s .. he said he got 3rd place cause the winner had more mids lmao
tm4n6910 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012   #42
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 127 spl152db will become famous soon enoughspl152db will become famous soon enoughspl152db will become famous soon enoughspl152db will become famous soon enoughspl152db will become famous soon enoughspl152db will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm4n6910 View Post
I had an idiot just last night tell me he had a 150 watt rms amp that put out 1500 because kenwood made it. and his 200.00 dollar Car did 172db with his 1500 watt kenwood amp and 1 12 inch sub and 6x9s .. he said he got 3rd place cause the winner had more mids lmao
Lol wut!?!?!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
spl152db is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012   #43
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 71 oilman will become famous soon enoughoilman will become famous soon enoughoilman will become famous soon enoughoilman will become famous soon enoughoilman will become famous soon enoughoilman will become famous soon enough

Good stuff! Sub'd

Damn auto correct

Designing stage
oilman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012   #44
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Psychopath

Rep Power: 915 chad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond repute

Violent Bass Air
chad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012   #45

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 66 shapiro will become famous soon enoughshapiro will become famous soon enoughshapiro will become famous soon enoughshapiro will become famous soon enoughshapiro will become famous soon enoughshapiro will become famous soon enough

A friend of mine has bragged to me about his setup he had in high school, when I asked him what he had it was all subs with tweeters... I'm sure it sounded real good. I told him I was going to show him how a Car is supposed to sound, when I let him demo my Car he loved it and commented "Dude, that sounds as good as stock". I was quite offended at first until I realized by "sounding as good as stock" he meant you could actually hear the music, not just bass and treble.
shapiro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012   #46
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 77 hilander999 will become famous soon enoughhilander999 will become famous soon enoughhilander999 will become famous soon enoughhilander999 will become famous soon enoughhilander999 will become famous soon enoughhilander999 will become famous soon enough

"Your wasting all that Power not cranking those gains all the way up"

hilander999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012   #47

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 94 IDGAF will become famous soon enoughIDGAF will become famous soon enoughIDGAF will become famous soon enoughIDGAF will become famous soon enoughIDGAF will become famous soon enoughIDGAF will become famous soon enough

When people find out I'm an SPL competitor, they always tell me about how loud their old system was. And they always misremember. "Dude! I was doing 174db's! I shattered my windshield!" Ok, man.

My buddy used to run a shop and I would hang out there. Guys with a line array (lol) of "by nines" on the rear deck would come in and want him to put through bolts around their trunks with washers... but not like, tightened down. It was purposely FOR trunk rattles.

I heard this one at a shop yesterday. And this one of the better shops in town. Guy wanted to utilize and upgrade his stock locations to keep everything factory looking. He had dash speakers and the kid working there told him, "I wouldn't bother with dash speakers. You can't even really hear them."

SQ retard.
IDGAF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012   #48

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 75 Micksh will become famous soon enoughMicksh will become famous soon enoughMicksh will become famous soon enoughMicksh will become famous soon enoughMicksh will become famous soon enoughMicksh will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDGAF View Post

My buddy used to run a shop and I would hang out there. Guys with a line array (lol) of "by nines" on the rear deck would come in and want him to put through bolts around their trunks with washers... but not like, tightened down. It was purposely FOR trunk rattles.
Yep. Where I worked, we got requests to screw sheet metal inside the trunk lid... Lol
Micksh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012   #49
DIYMA 500 Club

Addicted to 12 Volt

12V Company:
TAS Electronics
Position:
Install Tech

Rep Power: 171 Chaos will become famous soon enoughChaos will become famous soon enoughChaos will become famous soon enoughChaos will become famous soon enoughChaos will become famous soon enoughChaos will become famous soon enoughChaos will become famous soon enough

LOL - intentionally adding rattles is a good one for sure.

Even worse - the folks who insist on 8 sets of marine speakers and/or PA horns mounted in the grill and under the car, so that you can hear them coming hundreds of yards away.

There may be a lot of obnoxious, distorted, bass-heavy systems on the road but nothing is more annoying than high-pitched gangsta rap projected down the street at 110 db.

Motorcycles are almost as bad, but at least that is somewhat understandable compared to the noise of the bike itself.
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012   #50
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 294 Hanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond repute

One guy at the local audio shop told me he didn't like german speakers. I said; okeey... and why is that? He answered, if you listen to them you'll hear that the music will have that distinct german "pronunciation" to them...

Wow... That's a new one >.

# In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act # (George Orwell)

- Build Thread 1, Mercedes-Benz E 320T (2000) -

- Build Thread 2, VW Passat 1.8T (2000) -
Hanatsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement