**Stupidest thing anyone has said to you (audio wise)** - Page 4 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012   #76
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 114 TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to all

Default Re: **Stupidest thing anyone has said to you (audio wise)**

Ok.

Running speakers out of phase will blow them. From a local shop here.

You want 10" subs for rock, 15" subs for rap. And 8" subs for sound quality. From same local shop.

Kicker subs sound better for rap, while memphis and rockford subs sound better for rock. Same local shop.

You wont hear the peaks and dips in music without a cap. Same local shop.

Oh yeah, said local shop is California Car Stereo.

98 Dodge Neon Meca Extreme Class Build
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...-timer-sq.html
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2012   #77
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Psychopath

Rep Power: 915 chad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL View Post

Running speakers out of phase will blow them.
Ugh, I hate the word Phase.. POLARITY.

They are right, Wire each VC in a DVC sub out of polarity till you hear a booming sound. You won't hear shit, you will smell smoke.

So they took THAT and assumed it as gospel. But in reality, if you are flipping POLARITY on any Speaker that has a wavelength in it's passband longer than the interior of the Car can develop, you are shooting yourself in the foot, they may not blow up, but you will have a hell of a hole.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012   #78
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 114 TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to all

Good point on polarity vs phase. Blame the P99 for my liberal use of the word phase. I used to say polarity.

Their exact words were more like, "if you Wire the speakers backwards you will blow them up and damage your amp". Told a friend that years ago about his Focal mids when he said he would install them himself.

Old 09-04-2012   #79
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 162 BuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Ok.

Running speakers out of phase will blow them. From a local shop here.

You want 10" subs for rock, 15" subs for rap. And 8" subs for sound quality. From same local shop.

Kicker subs sound better for rap, while memphis and rockford subs sound better for rock. Same local shop.

You wont hear the peaks and dips in music without a cap. Same local shop.

Oh yeah, said local shop is California Car Stereo.
Unfortunately you hear this around here as well.

'84 GN 10.60@ 127mph.
'07 Epic Expert
'14 Trance SX with SRAM XX1 1x11 Drivetrain.
'06 TL.
BuickGN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012   #80
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Doesn't surprise me being that were not that far apart.

Old 09-04-2012   #81
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 127 spl152db will become famous soon enoughspl152db will become famous soon enoughspl152db will become famous soon enoughspl152db will become famous soon enoughspl152db will become famous soon enoughspl152db will become famous soon enough

The absolute best thing I've ever heard was this: a hot ass blond walks into the shop. She goes into the demo room and starts tapping onto the subs. After a dew minutes she proclaimed rather loudly that one of the subs was going to be the loudest. Because of the way the tap sounds. Her bf bought it. It was one of the cheaper low end subs we carried. Street edge made by Memphis. While not crap, they aren't the loudest.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
spl152db is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012   #82

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 117 brownbob06 will become famous soon enoughbrownbob06 will become famous soon enoughbrownbob06 will become famous soon enoughbrownbob06 will become famous soon enoughbrownbob06 will become famous soon enoughbrownbob06 will become famous soon enough

^^^ then he told her how amazing and smart she was, went home and got laid... well played sir, well played.
brownbob06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012   #83
req
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 163 req is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of light

A guy once told me I had "good Wang bass"

Pronounced like bass, the fish lol.

req is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012   #84
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 162 BuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Doesn't surprise me being that were not that far apart.
I'm sure we have similar experiences. The redeeming quality is I get some low volume JL stuff at or near dealer cost. Ive gotten good at smiling and nodding at whatever crap I'm told when I'm there. I've been going to the same place since '95. The owner's son is starting to run the place and he's really into sq and very well educated. They're beginning to carry some really nice product now so there's hope. The rest of the stores around here are beyond help.

'84 GN 10.60@ 127mph.
'07 Epic Expert
'14 Trance SX with SRAM XX1 1x11 Drivetrain.
'06 TL.
BuickGN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012   #85

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 68 MoparMike will become famous soon enoughMoparMike will become famous soon enoughMoparMike will become famous soon enoughMoparMike will become famous soon enoughMoparMike will become famous soon enoughMoparMike will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by spl152db View Post
The absolute best thing I've ever heard was this: a hot ass blond walks into the shop. She goes into the demo room and starts tapping onto the subs. After a dew minutes she proclaimed rather loudly that one of the subs was going to be the loudest. Because of the way the tap sounds. Her bf bought it. It was one of the cheaper low end subs we carried. Street edge made by Memphis. While not crap, they aren't the loudest.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Hey if it works with watermelons, why not subwoofers too?

2015 Dodge Durango R/T - Audio build log - Morel - Exodus - Sundown - JL Audio - Zapco - KnuKonceptz - Stinger
MoparMike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012   #86

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 59 BrianAbington will become famous soon enoughBrianAbington will become famous soon enoughBrianAbington will become famous soon enoughBrianAbington will become famous soon enoughBrianAbington will become famous soon enoughBrianAbington will become famous soon enough

Sorry this is a bit long but it's my favorite encounter with the dumb I've ever had.

My friend was designing an inventory computer system at a local pawn shop and called me one day asking if he could refer a girl to me who just bought a bunch of stuff and needed it installed.

She came over later that afternoon and pulled up in this beat up Chevy celebrity wagon. She said she bought some stuff that she wanted me to hook up for her.

She started by showing me the no name 500x2 amp she bought. Looking at the amp it was about 7x5x1 and weighed about 3lbs and had a single 15 amp fuse. Yeah...500x2 my butt.

I then asked what else she had. She opened up the hatch and it was full of pawnshop special sub/tweeter horn boxes. The ones with the black paper cones and yellow foam surrounds. She had 4 with 2 15's, 6 with 2 12's 6 with 2 10's and in the back seat she had 4 more of the 2 15's

She said she didn't care how the equipment was configured as long as it was
1) F****N loud
2)The enclosures in the back seat had to be secured so they wouldn't fall over on the baby seat.

I looked at her and said I don't think these will do what you are expecting.

She got really mad and said that I obviously don't know what I'm talking about because her boyfriends blazer has the same stuff and you can't hear the exhaust over the music.

I let her grab the ICP cd out of her Car and let her sit in my sc2. I shut off the sub amp switch and let her listen sub less for and showed her the switch to flip when she wanted more bass.

I told her to listen as loud as she wanted to. She sat in there for about 15 min before she flipped the switch.
When she got out she said that the switch turned off was louder than her boyfriends blazer but with it on she had never experienced anything like that.

She seemed a little miffed when I told her I only had 8's in the doors.

I asked her what she thought I had in the trunk. She said probably 2 15's and 4 12's or 10's.(again with the mix and match)

I opened the trunk and she saw nothing. Nothing at all...I started removing trim panels showing her 2 old school 10" kicker comps in a 1.5 cuft box built against the back seat then removed the side cover to reveal the 300 watt RF amp.

She was freaking out because she bought double what her boyfriends blazer had in it expecting it to be way louder than his.

I offered to help her out. She took everything back to the pawn shop and surprisingly they let her return them since they were brand new and only gone for about an hour. I was shocked though to find that she spent over $500 on this shitty equipment.

I helped her pick put a pair of 15" punch subs, a MMATS 500 watt amp and then took her to a local audio shop to get Power Wire and a decent cd player, then to the lumber yard to get some MDF. With all that equipment and supplies she wasn't even over $450.

She came back the next day and I had a box built for the subs and had the install done in about 2 hours.

She loved it.

She even referred her boyfriend to me for a system overhaul after he heard how it sounded.
BrianAbington is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012   #87

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 59 BrianAbington will become famous soon enoughBrianAbington will become famous soon enoughBrianAbington will become famous soon enoughBrianAbington will become famous soon enoughBrianAbington will become famous soon enoughBrianAbington will become famous soon enough

Another common thing in Omaha too is the multiple 15's with 3000 watts rattling trunks like crazy and blown stock speakers struggling to keep up. I love that.
Old 09-04-2012   #88
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

UNPLUGGED

12V Company:
Victory Sonics
Position:
Owner/ Engineer/Sales/Support

Rep Power: 146 Victor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieg View Post
I actually saw an installer drill the GND terminal post screw right on to the fuel pump of a customer's car...

I onced told a guy that he should cut off his sub frequency lower, he asked me, what? you mean literally cut the sub in half???

That very same guy, sitting with me in my Car and I asked him, do you know why you don't seat in the middle of the car? -> when he asked why I just replied - because you don't wanna have the hand brake in your a#@...

Well... Life is Good
It`s not a hand brake nor emergency brake it`s parking brake.

It seems like most people don't care to actually understand reality.
Victor_inox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012   #89
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Rep Power: 203 SkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of light

do any of you guys have the people that run like 6 EV speakers on their trunk lid with no name 18 inch dj subs and bullet tweeters built into the box with lanzar amps and 400 watts to each pyle coaxial Speaker up front? i mean no offense when i say this but the town over from me is more on the "Dominican" side.. every single Dominican person i know from around here that has a system has one like this. I've actually had a person tell me that this is a "Dominican only" style and that he and a few friends invented this "style" back in DR a while back.. so stupid i cant even

Daily driver finished. Project car under construction
SkizeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012   #90

DIYMA freshman

The mobile dj mobile is a very Caribbean thing
Old 09-05-2012   #91
DIYMA 500 Club

OP

Rep Power: 144 goodstuff will become famous soon enoughgoodstuff will become famous soon enoughgoodstuff will become famous soon enoughgoodstuff will become famous soon enoughgoodstuff will become famous soon enoughgoodstuff will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
I've been told to keep my Speaker wires the same lenghts. If the left side is longer, it wont fire the same time as the right. Cause you know that extra .0000002 seconds it takes to travel those extra few feet really makes a difference.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2
I asked a guy I met at a comp if he was using time alignment.
He said yes, he had an extra 15 feet of Wire coiled under the seat on the left speakers.

Your boom box better form a union,
cause I leave your circuits overworked.
goodstuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012   #92

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 62 donnieL72 will become famous soon enoughdonnieL72 will become famous soon enoughdonnieL72 will become famous soon enoughdonnieL72 will become famous soon enoughdonnieL72 will become famous soon enoughdonnieL72 will become famous soon enough

Saw a friend of my son's in town a couple weeks ago. Has an entire BOSS system in his car. He had duct tape on his front windshield in about 6 places. My son asked him what's the tape for, and his reply: "It keeps the windshield from blowing out onto the hood. It bangs so hard". 3000 watts of BOSS Power at work............

Some of the brightest people in the world are Bi-Polar. It doesn't seem to work with me.........
donnieL72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012   #93
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 127 spl152db will become famous soon enoughspl152db will become famous soon enoughspl152db will become famous soon enoughspl152db will become famous soon enoughspl152db will become famous soon enoughspl152db will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnieL72 View Post
Saw a friend of my son's in town a couple weeks ago. Has an entire BOSS system in his car. He had duct tape on his front windshield in about 6 places. My son asked him what's the tape for, and his reply: "It keeps the windshield from blowing out onto the hood. It bangs so hard". 3000 watts of BOSS Power at work............
if it was old school boss that could actually be 1500watts of zed... but I'm sure it wasn't.
Old 09-05-2012   #94

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 62 donnieL72 will become famous soon enoughdonnieL72 will become famous soon enoughdonnieL72 will become famous soon enoughdonnieL72 will become famous soon enoughdonnieL72 will become famous soon enoughdonnieL72 will become famous soon enough

All new BOSS. Probably 300 watts actual if that. He had it cranked up as far as it would go, distortion included. I understood every word he said from my driver's seat in the left lane and he was in the right lane.

We saw him later at the gas station. My son and I had just finished putting in the front speakers, CD player, and amp for the front in his truck. My son was very proud of his work as I insisted that he do most of it and that I would teach him how to do it right. He looked it over and said that "Massive audio is flea market stuff and that the stock speakers were better", as well as "That CD player is junk if you need to run an amp to your front speakers. All you need to hear is the BOOM", and to top it off "That Boston Accoustics amp wouldn't push one of my subs, much less front speakers". He saw the tweeters mounted with Velcro, as we are experimenting with locations before we flush them up and started laughing at them.

We put in a Pioneer DEH 9400BH, Massive audio RK6's and a Boston Accoustics GT2200. Junky stuff indeed.

My son told him to F**k off. My thoughts exactly.

Some of the brightest people in the world are Bi-Polar. It doesn't seem to work with me.........
donnieL72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012   #95

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 118 JeremyC will become famous soon enoughJeremyC will become famous soon enoughJeremyC will become famous soon enoughJeremyC will become famous soon enoughJeremyC will become famous soon enoughJeremyC will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuickGN View Post
Infinity speakers. I think 90% of the "badass" systems I've heard have infinities and bottom of the line Kicker subs. No vocals, no identifiable instruments, everything blends together in this mess of screeching treble along with the usual overly boosted 40hz from the bottom of the line Kickers powered by a boss amp. Shit is the only way to describe these things. I want to poke my eardrums out every time.
I know that one all to well. Except it isn't always infinity. Sometimes its older MB Quarts.

Something else I have never been able to figure out, Is why people INSIST on turning the base and treble all the way up.
JeremyC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012   #96
DIYMA 500 Club

NCSQ Founding Member

Rep Power: 133 Notloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really nice

This wasn't said to me but I was nearby.
A guy was selling CDs of his group at a bass competition and told one of my friends to buy his CD. He said, "You can really feel the quad"
WTF does that mean?

I like building stuff. I'm not very good at it but I enjoy it.
Notloudenuf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012   #97

DIYMA freshman

I too have heard the saying about bass not being as damaging...we had a guy who came to shows in Omaha that could tell you how loud your Car was. He was usually pretty close but he was deaf as all get out.)
Old 09-05-2012   #98
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

i forgot of one i heard somewhere. a guy told us we wouldn't get the right eskques if we didn't remove our RCA's before a meet and hang them upside down so the electrons could stop pooling up.

also remember reading a website about a recording studio ran out of the house where the guy only uses 8 track. unplugs everything in the house since the refridgerator causes noise in the electrical system. and records everything in the dark. He also sold some paste to rub on cds to make them sound better infinitely.
Old 09-05-2012   #99

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 60 Dejected Cheese will become famous soon enoughDejected Cheese will become famous soon enoughDejected Cheese will become famous soon enoughDejected Cheese will become famous soon enoughDejected Cheese will become famous soon enoughDejected Cheese will become famous soon enough

A Co-worker and I were debating the best way to fit the proper size box for my ID8s in the limited space available in my truck.

Another co-worker overhears the conversation, and decides to put his 2 cents in. He explained that I should just go on over to the Home Depot, buy some 5/8 plywood (the cheapest available), make a box that will have enough mounting room (no concept of proper volume) and call it good.

Then he added, and if you want those things to really bang, just cut you some holes in the box about (makes about 2.5" circle with his hands)...then those suckers would sound good.

When I tried to explain to him that I wanted to ensure I had the optimal volume, etc. He informed me he was just a po' ole country boy, and thats how they did it.

2009 F-150 Supercrew
Dejected Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012   #100
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 123 strakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura aboutstrakele has a spectacular aura about

"My 2 Rockford Fosgate 12s in this prefab ported box kept blowing out my windshield. And one time when somebody cut me off, I pulled up next to him at the next light, turned up the bass, and shattered his windows."

Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart SQ Build Log
Alpine, Helix, Mosconi, Arc, Clarion, JL, Xtant/Morel, Beyma, Acoustic Elegance

Living Room System Build Log
Denon, Behringer, DIYSG, Eminence, Celestion, Denovo, Energy, Alpine
strakele is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement