**Stupidest thing anyone has said to you (audio wise)** - Page 7 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2012   #151

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 64 haromaster87 will become famous soon enoughharomaster87 will become famous soon enoughharomaster87 will become famous soon enoughharomaster87 will become famous soon enoughharomaster87 will become famous soon enoughharomaster87 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: **Stupidest thing anyone has said to you (audio wise)**

After reading through this thread, I'm at a loss with people. I don't know why then insist on speaking of things they don't understand.

I suppose the worst I ever had was my buddy who didn't know much about Car audio, but was really excited about my first build. He kept telling people that "I built my own speakers". I believe he was saying that because I had done a fairly extensive install, as opposed to a couple of subs in the trunk.

Oh and most of the teenagers that saw it would notice two subs, and then two amps and always asked if each sub had its own amp. When told no, they looked lost as to what the other amp was for. haha

Last edited by haromaster87; 09-07-2012 at 02:15 AM..
haromaster87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2012   #152

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 116 JeremyC will become famous soon enoughJeremyC will become famous soon enoughJeremyC will become famous soon enoughJeremyC will become famous soon enoughJeremyC will become famous soon enoughJeremyC will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by haromaster87 View Post
Oh and most of the teenagers that saw it would notice two subs, and then two amps and always asked if each sub had its own amp. When told no, they looked lost as to what the other amp was for. haha
I've heard that one a ton of times.

I will show someone my amp rack (4 amps fibreglassed into the spare tire well) and they always ask why I have 4 amps and only two subs?

So I tell them I amplified the front stage.

That is normally followed by what type of 6 by 9s am I running in the back and why don't I have an amp on them?

YHGTBSM....

Then tend to stop asking dumb questions, once they sit in the drivers seat and listen for a few.

I almost forgot. My last stereo was only 5 speakers. 1 sub and a comp set in a S10. I couldn't begin to count how many times someone told me that their factory stereo would sound better or be louder, cause it had 11 speakers.

Or that 11 speakers was better than 5, why else would a Car maker put all those speakers in there.
JeremyC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2012   #153

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 64 haromaster87 will become famous soon enoughharomaster87 will become famous soon enoughharomaster87 will become famous soon enoughharomaster87 will become famous soon enoughharomaster87 will become famous soon enoughharomaster87 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyC View Post
I've heard that one a ton of times.

I will show someone my amp rack (4 amps fibreglassed into the spare tire well) and they always ask why I have 4 amps and only two subs?

So I tell them I amplified the front stage.

That is normally followed by what type of 6 by 9s am I running in the back and why don't I have an amp on them?

YHGTBSM....

Then tend to stop asking dumb questions, once they sit in the drivers seat and listen for a few.

I almost forgot. My last stereo was only 5 speakers. 1 sub and a comp set in a S10. I couldn't begin to count how many times someone told me that their factory stereo would sound better or be louder, cause it had 11 speakers.

Or that 11 speakers was better than 5, why else would a Car maker put all those speakers in there.
Oh yeah, I forgot about the Speaker count war. My last system was my 2-Way component front stage and my 2 subwoofers. After they had a listen they were always shocked to find out it was a total of 6 speakers doing all of that. I remember a lot of times I'd get "Man, imagine how crazy that $hit would be if you put like 4 more speakers in with that!"

At that point, I tried to explain why that wouldn't really help much. Some kids actually seemed to understand, others...
haromaster87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2012   #154

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 107 eggyhustles will become famous soon enougheggyhustles will become famous soon enougheggyhustles will become famous soon enougheggyhustles will become famous soon enougheggyhustles will become famous soon enougheggyhustles will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpgtp View Post
And arent a ripoff of old re drivers.
direct copy
eggyhustles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2012   #155

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 107 eggyhustles will become famous soon enougheggyhustles will become famous soon enougheggyhustles will become famous soon enougheggyhustles will become famous soon enougheggyhustles will become famous soon enougheggyhustles will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
do any of you guys have the people that run like 6 EV speakers on their trunk lid with no name 18 inch dj subs and bullet tweeters built into the box with lanzar amps and 400 watts to each pyle coaxial Speaker up front? i mean no offense when i say this but the town over from me is more on the "Dominican" side.. every single Dominican person i know from around here that has a system has one like this. I've actually had a person tell me that this is a "Dominican only" style and that he and a few friends invented this "style" back in DR a while back.. so stupid i cant even
This is the norm in NYC. It's not just a dominican thing..it's a caribbean thing.

Esp at those bullshit Car shows at randall's island. (pics below)

Happy to say, i've embarrassed a few with 1 10 in the door and horns under the dash..

Electro voice mids are pretty damn good IF installed properly. Most just install them in the rear deck with some pos horn tweet.

eggyhustles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2012   #156
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 84 Spyke will become famous soon enoughSpyke will become famous soon enoughSpyke will become famous soon enoughSpyke will become famous soon enoughSpyke will become famous soon enoughSpyke will become famous soon enoughSpyke will become famous soon enoughSpyke will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggyhustles View Post

Mmm. Is that orange drink back there. Idk wtf was going on in the rest of those pics.
Spyke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2012   #157

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 fgmmgf will become famous soon enoughfgmmgf will become famous soon enoughfgmmgf will become famous soon enoughfgmmgf will become famous soon enoughfgmmgf will become famous soon enoughfgmmgf will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggyhustles View Post
This is the norm in NYC. It's not just a dominican thing..it's a caribbean thing.

Esp at those bullshit Car shows at randall's island. (pics below)

Happy to say, i've embarrassed a few with 1 10 in the door and horns under the dash..

Electro voice mids are pretty damn good IF installed properly. Most just install them in the rear deck with some pos horn tweet.

Im dominican and had to order all my stuff online because what all the local stores sell are those EV/Beyma speakers with bullet tweeters stuffed in mobile enclosures.

The boxes are called "kitipon". The trend is to go to public places like parks or parking lots, put the enclosures on top of the cars and whoever plays louder wins.. its sad.
fgmmgf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2012   #158
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 84 Spyke will become famous soon enoughSpyke will become famous soon enoughSpyke will become famous soon enoughSpyke will become famous soon enoughSpyke will become famous soon enoughSpyke will become famous soon enoughSpyke will become famous soon enoughSpyke will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgmmgf View Post
Im dominican and had to order all my stuff online because what all the local stores sell are those EV/Beyma speakers with bullet tweeters stuffed in mobile enclosures.

The boxes are called "kitipon". The trend is to go to public places like parks or parking lots, put the enclosures on top of the cars and whoever plays louder wins.. its sad.
Sounds fun. I do the same thing. Are there drunken cholos involved in your competitions?
Spyke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2012   #159
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Psychopath

Rep Power: 913 chad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

And why is this different than what people do here?
chad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2012   #160
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 102 Danometal will become famous soon enoughDanometal will become famous soon enoughDanometal will become famous soon enoughDanometal will become famous soon enoughDanometal will become famous soon enoughDanometal will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad View Post
You gotta love the guys who will sit at a red light and "wang" their systems, and of course, look around to make sure you notice.
Danometal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2012   #161
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 164 GlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
This guy around here used to work at a shop in Florida, they would literally have customers empty tubes of BB's in the voids of the trunk lid.

moar outside noise= moar bass yo.
Now this is the seedy side of Car audio I was never aware of. I have NEVER had anyone request something that assinine and retarded.

Kinda reminds me of the time I asked someone why people buy those little flowers in glass tubes at convenience stores and gas stations.

This thread is good.....I'm missing Lost Girl for this and laughing my ass off.

///Alpine / Soundstream / Image Dynamics / MB Quart / Fountek

---Custom fabricated speaker baffles and templates---
GlasSman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2012   #162
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 68 oilman will become famous soon enoughoilman will become famous soon enoughoilman will become famous soon enoughoilman will become famous soon enoughoilman will become famous soon enoughoilman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasSman View Post
Now this is the seedy side of Car audio I was never aware of. I have NEVER had anyone request something that assinine and retarded.

Kinda reminds me of the time I asked someone why people buy those little flowers in glass tubes at convenience stores and gas stations.

This thread is good.....I'm missing Lost Girl for this and laughing my ass off.
I've seen those glass tubes with the followers in them. WTF? I've even ask the clerk at the stores who the hell would buy something like this? I thought it was some fad I wasn't aware of. It bothered me to the point I made the clerk tell me.

Designing stage
oilman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2012   #163

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 fgmmgf will become famous soon enoughfgmmgf will become famous soon enoughfgmmgf will become famous soon enoughfgmmgf will become famous soon enoughfgmmgf will become famous soon enoughfgmmgf will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Haha well I've never been out of this island :P
fgmmgf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2012   #164
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Psychopath

Rep Power: 913 chad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Haha well I've never been out of this island :P
You are smart enough to make the transducers more portable whereas we just pummel the Interior and place microphones in odd spots to prove something pointless.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinpunk View Post
Mark's an up late kinda dude. His neighbor has a horse.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2012   #165
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 160 BuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to behold

I'm going to piss a lot of people off but the way you guys (and myself) feel about those adding noise makers to the trunk to create more rattles and give the illusion of more bass (to the uninformed) is the way I feel about bass shakers. It's fake bass lol.

'84 GN 10.60@ 127mph.
'07 Epic Expert
'14 Trance SX with SRAM XX1 1x11 Drivetrain.
'06 TL.
BuickGN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2012   #166
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Rep Power: 192 SkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuickGN View Post
I'm going to piss a lot of people off but the way you guys (and myself) feel about those adding noise makers to the trunk to create more rattles and give the illusion of more bass (to the uninformed) is the way I feel about bass shakers. It's fake bass lol.
ive heard of those but never looked into them. what do they even do?? and how is it "fake" bass??

"You might want to pick up a MS-8 if you want to play metal"

1990 300zx Build Log
SkizeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2012   #167
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 160 BuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
ive heard of those but never looked into them. what do they even do?? and how is it "fake" bass??
They shake the seat or whatever they're attached to, simulating what a loud subwoofer will do to the seat.

'84 GN 10.60@ 127mph.
'07 Epic Expert
'06 TL.
Old 09-08-2012   #168

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 84 Mark the Bold is on a distinguished roadMark the Bold is on a distinguished roadMark the Bold is on a distinguished roadMark the Bold is on a distinguished roadMark the Bold is on a distinguished road

I was referred to a friend of a friend to do an install. He wanted something similar to my own system when he heard it. Gave him a part list so he could order it all himself. Vehicle: 2009 Tahoe. Wanted two way active Dayton RS, two Dayton 10" HO subs in custom box, plus XM, bluetooth steering wheel control, dual Clarion amps under rear bench, etc. etc. Guy was ex-military so it was the least I could do, so I said no problem. I knew the gear pretty well and the Tahoe has oodles of room.

Drops it off on Saturday morning around 9am ( I was expecting him at 7:30am) and heads to the gym. I get started. Calls me at 3pm after I am balls deep into the install by myself, and says "Are you almost done? I have to pick my kids up in an hour?".

Mark the Bold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012   #169
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Rep Power: 192 SkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
They shake the seat or whatever they're attached to, simulating what a loud subwoofer will do to the seat.
*facepalm*

"You might want to pick up a MS-8 if you want to play metal"

1990 300zx Build Log
SkizeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012   #170
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 152 brett will become famous soon enoughbrett will become famous soon enoughbrett will become famous soon enoughbrett will become famous soon enoughbrett will become famous soon enoughbrett will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to brett

Quote:
slightly different. while the washers and bb's are supposed to simulate the 'effects', or at least exaggerate the effects of the bass, the bass shakers are designed to give you the tactile feeling of a sub without the air movement. i had a couple of the aura bass shaker pros and what they did was mildly impressive and interesting; i opened one up and realized that it's just a Speaker motor design in reverse! anyway, i thought i'd stick up for the bass shaker family as i don't think they can be in the same embarrassing category as the rest of these shenanigans.

btw, i get asked about my 'other' amps all the time. the way i see it, don't take the time to show somebody your gear without setting the proper time aside to give them an audition followed by a quick explanation

changes coming....
brett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012   #171
Upgrade Your Membership!

Dream Big!

Rep Power: 997 ChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond repute

Your amplifier can be modified for more SQ.

Even I believed the hype I as told through the Power of marketing terminology. It wasn't until I actually performed testing with a variety of level matched amplifiers connected to the same speakers in a home environment that I realized that I was duped. Now, let's add to the fact that this was installed in a noisy car... Yep, that was pretty stupid, to both be told and to believe at once upon a time.

2013 Driver's Edition German Fit with Kenwood DNX891HD Source, Audison BitOne Processor, MMATS HIFI-6150D amplifier, Genesis Profile 16 Components (active, of course), and a 10" Alpine Type R Subwoofer in a custom sealed fiberglass enclosure.

"Beware of the forum boner for it will screw you every time!"
ChrisB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012   #172
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

I think audition first, then show them the goods. In my case I get a lot more compliments on the SQ vs being preoccupied with "seeing what the 15s can do". I get wholly different reactions depending on whether I tell them the equipment list first or demo it first.

'84 GN 10.60@ 127mph.
'07 Epic Expert
'06 TL.
Old 09-08-2012   #173
Upgrade Your Membership!

Dream Big!

Rep Power: 997 ChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think audition first, then show them the goods. In my case I get a lot more compliments on the SQ vs being preoccupied with "seeing what the 15s can do". I get wholly different reactions depending on whether I tell them the equipment list first or demo it first.
I did that to a class d naysayer last year. He was in total shock to see that HD900/5 when I showed it to him AFTER the demo. Now, had I told him first, he would have said something didn't sound right, or he heard artifacts, or (insert your favorite dig against class d here). Because he listened first, then was shown, he was in total shock. It's the only way to do demo!

Now to flip it. Lets assume had I been convincing by saying I had the class d amplifier modified to make it sound like a class ab amplifier or even a tube amplifier by paying a small fortune for said modifications. You think that would have made a difference in the perception of the sound to the class d naysayer if I had told him that prior to the demo? EDIT: What if I had told him that AFTER he demo?

2013 Driver's Edition German Fit with Kenwood DNX891HD Source, Audison BitOne Processor, MMATS HIFI-6150D amplifier, Genesis Profile 16 Components (active, of course), and a 10" Alpine Type R Subwoofer in a custom sealed fiberglass enclosure.

"Beware of the forum boner for it will screw you every time!"
ChrisB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012   #174

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Rhythmax will become famous soon enoughRhythmax will become famous soon enoughRhythmax will become famous soon enoughRhythmax will become famous soon enoughRhythmax will become famous soon enoughRhythmax will become famous soon enough

Hmmm there was a kid that told me that sony xplod's are one of the best subs you can get and he also told me that they was called sony X-- Plods like as in PLOTS except with a D. lmfao
Rhythmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012   #175

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 89 Vital will become famous soon enoughVital will become famous soon enoughVital will become famous soon enoughVital will become famous soon enoughVital will become famous soon enoughVital will become famous soon enough

So i'm driving home past some big Car meet. Stop by to check out what's up, see this Crysler 300 with a really nice looking trunk. Custom work, suade, plexiglass, led lighting, paintjob, 2 Rockford 12'', cap.... Looks really nice and well done. Start talking to the guy, blah, blah, blah...

He's in his early 20s, drunk (as i realized shortly), with about 10 of his same-age/same blood alcohol level friends. All of them are typical NJ guidos wearing wife beaters.
I'm still not sure how they all fit in that 300 since he was the only one there with a car.

So he asked me what i got. I proudly go "All Polk audio - bi-amped momo comps, 12'' sub and 2 amps"
He goes "Why Polk???"
"Cuz i'm going for SQ"
"If you're going for SQ first thing u gatta do is to get rid of Polk audio speakers"
"Well, what do you have??"
"100% Rockford!! 2 12'' subs and 4 6x9's - 2 in the front door, 2 in the rear deck. No tweeters"
"Okkk..... (that when i realized this guy is clueless and went along with it) Nice, let me hear what it sounds like"

He proudly "pumped it up" as all of his boys starting fist pumping all around his car. I kid you not LITERALLY all of them starting to fist pump around his car. For a moment I thought I was on some hidden camera show.

He's got bass. No questiones asked. Not saying it's clean bass but he's got a lot of it and that's all that matters. No mids, no highs but that's doesn't matter, bass is all. Especially when it's mixed with rattles. Sh1t, my freaking liver was rattling against his rear deck cover and i was sitting on the front.

After a few fist pumping anthems i go:
"Damn!! N-I-C-E!!!, what should i do to have a system like yours. Please keep in mind i'm looking for SQ"
"As i said - first thing is to get rid of your Polk Audio"
"what should i replace them with??"
"MB Quarts are the best speakers, then Rockford, Pioneer and Kenwood. Trust me i'm into Car audio for 14 years (while his in his early 20s)"
"Cool man, thanx a lot!!"

As i got parked my car (i live just a few blocks from that meet) i turned on a few of my tunes and sat in the car for 20 minutes ENJOYING music and thanking god for giving me brains and hearing that i actually use.

2008 Nissan Altima
Kenwood DNX9960, Arc Audio XEQ & IDX
Polk Audio SR6500, SR124dvc, PA500.4 & PA1200.1
Vital is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement