**Stupidest thing anyone has said to you (audio wise)** - Page 8 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2012   #176
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 137 stereo_luver is a jewel in the roughstereo_luver is a jewel in the roughstereo_luver is a jewel in the roughstereo_luver is a jewel in the roughstereo_luver is a jewel in the roughstereo_luver is a jewel in the roughstereo_luver is a jewel in the roughstereo_luver is a jewel in the roughstereo_luver is a jewel in the roughstereo_luver is a jewel in the roughstereo_luver is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: **Stupidest thing anyone has said to you (audio wise)**

PA Sate Finals last year:
I had a guy ask me to demo my truck. I was doing pretty good after I started competing late in the season and my scores were getting better and better. He climbs in and we start listening to some tunes. He asks if I had a sub in my console. Nope. "How did you get the bass up front and on the dash" I told him it was just the way I tuned. TA, EQ and gains. We listen for a while longer and he makes his comments on my truck....
"I love the way you have the bass up front and across the dash"
"You have some amazing midbass"
"Your soundstage is really good"
"The center is perfectly focused and accurate"
"Your depth is like beyond the windshield somewhere"
"I like the height you got above the dash"
"The tonality is really really nice.You've got this tune dialed in........"
"......But your vocals suck!"
This is when I told him to get out of my truck. I went on to win my class and my score was much higher than what he received. He left pissed off with his score.
I STILL haven't lived down the "Your vocals suck" and I'm reminded of this all the time.

The Vinny last year:
I got all set up for the event and started saying hello to everyone. I had a few people come by and ask for a demo before judging started and I'm always happy to let anyone have a listen. (except Mr. "Your vocals suck") A fellow DIYMA member climbs in and is new to SQ and is having demo's in as many vehicles as he can. We start listening to several tracks and the conversation goes something like this....(I should mention that my truck came with a high freq driver in the center of the dash and there is an opening (grill) about 1 1/4" in the center of the dash)
"WOW! What kind of center speaker are you using?"
"There is no center speaker/driver"
"You don't have a center speaker?"
"I don't have a center driver"
"How does all that sound come from that little grill in the center?"
"There is no sound coming from that little grill. I don't have a center driver"
"Then why do I hear a center speaker"
"You don't hear a center driver because there is no center driver"
"Then what am I hearing?"
"You are hearing the sub in the rear, the midbass in the doors and the coaxial drivers on the left and right side of the dash. I use TA, EQ and gains together to focus everything to a center image."
"Ah so everything is focused on the center speaker?"
"There is no center driver"
"No center speaker?"
"Nope, no center driver"
"At all?"
"Nope"
"That's amazing! But what about that little opening in the center of the dash?"
"LOL.....it's nice to look at and makes for good conversation"
End of demo and an introduction to SQ tuning.

Chuck

HU, Processor, Amps, Drivers.
stereo_luver is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2012   #177
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 251 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Chuck, have you ever thought that "your vocals suck" guy was being sarcastic? Then again SQ is subjective so he may have really thought your vocals sucked. I've heard cars that scored high and staged perfect that sounded like ass. It makes me not want to ever demo your truck because I'm known for being honest about my thoughts in an attempt to help someone fix a problem they may have overlooked. I'm personally a HUGE stickler when it comes to vocal reproduction. If your vocals suck I'll in a nice way tell you they suck and explain what I think might be the issue. If you want to indulge me and try what I suggest then great. If your ego won't let you take structural critisizm then I have no desire to be around you. I'm sure the man behind the speakers you're running would agree with me (if you're still running that brand).

'14 Grand Cherokee Limited, OEM U-Connect 8.4a, JL Fix 82, c-dsp 6x8, Arc xdi1200.6v2, Soundstream pn4.520d, stock rears controlled properly by minidsp 2x4 with rear fill plug-in, ID15v3, SB Acoustics SB17NRXC35-4, Seas Neo Aluminum...Rearfill done properly is a helluva drug!
Hillbilly SQ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012   #178
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 137 stereo_luver is a jewel in the roughstereo_luver is a jewel in the roughstereo_luver is a jewel in the roughstereo_luver is a jewel in the roughstereo_luver is a jewel in the roughstereo_luver is a jewel in the roughstereo_luver is a jewel in the roughstereo_luver is a jewel in the roughstereo_luver is a jewel in the roughstereo_luver is a jewel in the roughstereo_luver is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
Chuck, have you ever thought that "your vocals suck" guy was being sarcastic? Then again SQ is subjective so he may have really thought your vocals sucked. I've heard cars that scored high and staged perfect that sounded like ass. It makes me not want to ever demo your truck because I'm known for being honest about my thoughts in an attempt to help someone fix a problem they may have overlooked. I'm personally a HUGE stickler when it comes to vocal reproduction. If your vocals suck I'll in a nice way tell you they suck and explain what I think might be the issue. If you want to indulge me and try what I suggest then great. If your ego won't let you take structural critisizm then I have no desire to be around you. I'm sure the man behind the speakers you're running would agree with me (if you're still running that brand).
Chris, the guy wasn't being sarcastic. There is a long story behind all this I won't go into. I don't have an ego that blocks ANY criticism. It is noted, discussed within the Team and evaluated. Then changes are made if needed. The tune on my truck is dependent on the judge that is working the event where I'm competing. I never fail to have the judge climb back into my truck after an event has been completed. With scoresheet in hand we evaluate my scores and notes are taken. The tune, notes and scores are logged into a spreadsheet. This way I can prepare for the next time I have the same judge. This helps with tuning for 1x, 2x and 3x events. I simply go back to my notes and tune for the judge that will be climbing back into my truck. And I'm not currently running the drivers you may think I am.

Chuck

Old 09-08-2012   #179
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 251 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

What drivers are you running?

'14 Grand Cherokee Limited, OEM U-Connect 8.4a, JL Fix 82, c-dsp 6x8, Arc xdi1200.6v2, Soundstream pn4.520d, stock rears controlled properly by minidsp 2x4 with rear fill plug-in, ID15v3, SB Acoustics SB17NRXC35-4, Seas Neo Aluminum...Rearfill done properly is a helluva drug!
Old 09-08-2012   #180
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
What drivers are you running?
Off the shelf drivers sold at most retailers....LOL

Chuck

Edit: At PA & GA State Finals and Meca World Finals I used drivers that kept the judges guessing and asking what brand they were. I'll never tell....LOL

Last edited by stereo_luver; 09-08-2012 at 08:17 AM..
Old 09-08-2012   #181
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Hmm why so secretive?

Old 09-08-2012   #182
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

You mentioned "coaxial" and I heard a kickass coaxial setup in ATL the other day.

Old 09-08-2012   #183
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Hmm why so secretive?
It's a Team thing. If you went to a fishing tournament and won would you tell where you cast? What crankbait, lure, jig or anything you used? I'm not trying to be a smart ass. I'm just keeping it to myself and my Team.

Chuck

Old 09-08-2012   #184
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
You mentioned "coaxial" and I heard a kickass coaxial setup in ATL the other day.
I wish I could have made it to the GTG. I got some reviews and wish I could have heard some of the rides for myself.

Chuck

Old 09-08-2012   #185
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

I know some secrets too. I won't spill the beans though. You still with Audible Physics?

Old 09-08-2012   #186
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 192 tyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura about

"You will not find a better sub than the jlw1v3 to use in this stealthbox" - jl rep

(it was a .65 sealed 10" enclosure)

Alpine INE-S920HD - Audiocontrol Matrix - Kenwood X4R - Kenwood X1R - ESB KT6.28 - ESB Ottomila 16 - Boston G5 10" @32
tyroneshoes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012   #187
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 85 SaturnSL1 will become famous soon enoughSaturnSL1 will become famous soon enoughSaturnSL1 will become famous soon enoughSaturnSL1 will become famous soon enoughSaturnSL1 will become famous soon enoughSaturnSL1 will become famous soon enoughSaturnSL1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasSman View Post
Now this is the seedy side of car audio I was never aware of. I have NEVER had anyone request something that assinine and retarded.

Kinda reminds me of the time I asked someone why people buy those little flowers in glass tubes at convenience stores and gas stations.

This thread is good.....I'm missing Lost Girl for this and laughing my ass off.
LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't feel bad, it's a hood thing. I think we've all had to ask that question before.

What part of CT are you in? New Haven, Hartford?
SaturnSL1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012   #188
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
I know some secrets too. I won't spill the beans though. You still with Audible Physics?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stereo_luver View Post
Off the shelf drivers sold at most retailers....LOL

Chuck
There is your answer.

Chuck

Old 09-08-2012   #189
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 85 SaturnSL1 will become famous soon enoughSaturnSL1 will become famous soon enoughSaturnSL1 will become famous soon enoughSaturnSL1 will become famous soon enoughSaturnSL1 will become famous soon enoughSaturnSL1 will become famous soon enoughSaturnSL1 will become famous soon enough

My guess is Pioneer
Old 09-08-2012   #190
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnSL1 View Post
My guess is Pioneer
LOL...and it begins! I'll never tell.

Chuck

Old 09-08-2012   #191
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

lol
Old 09-08-2012   #192
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Pyle? Pyramid? BOSS? Legacy? THUMP? Soundstorm? Phoenix Digital?

Old 09-08-2012   #193
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 106 Danometal will become famous soon enoughDanometal will become famous soon enoughDanometal will become famous soon enoughDanometal will become famous soon enoughDanometal will become famous soon enoughDanometal will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereo_luver View Post
LOL...and it begins! I'll never tell.

Chuck
I run entry level Polk DB components, and they sound fantastic. My "secret" is to run them active, cross them @ 80 hz, knock the tweeters back, cross the tweeters high @ 5k, and boost the EQ +2 from 250 - 630 hz.
Danometal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012   #194
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

The Go-Go's - Our Lips Are Sealed - YouTube

Chuck

Old 09-08-2012   #195
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danometal View Post
I run entry level Polk DB components, and they sound fantastic. My "secret" is to run them active, cross them @ 80 hz, knock the tweeters back, cross the tweeters high @ 5k, and boost the EQ +2 from 250 - 630 hz.
I may have to experiment... I'm using a pair of DB650s and they sound great at some times and horrible at others.
Old 09-08-2012   #196
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 138 turbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura aboutturbo5upra has a spectacular aura about

You would need to know the person behind the comment in order to understand why chucks vocals suck. Chuck is running low end drivers made off shore that he himself directly visits to purchase.

Some equipment in some cars...
turbo5upra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012   #197
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 106 Danometal will become famous soon enoughDanometal will become famous soon enoughDanometal will become famous soon enoughDanometal will become famous soon enoughDanometal will become famous soon enoughDanometal will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I may have to experiment... I'm using a pair of DB650s and they sound great at some times and horrible at others.
Those are the coaxials, right? If so, that's the problem. The tweeters can't be knocked back altogether. Going active with the 6501 set enabled me to totally rework the default sound.

I drive a Saturn L200 btw.
Danometal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012   #198
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danometal View Post
Those are the coaxials, right? If so, that's the problem. The tweeters can't be knocked back altogether. Going active with the 6501 set enabled me to totally rework the default sound.

I drive a Saturn L200 btw.
Ah, thanks for the info. I have an idea floating around in my head about snipping the tweeter leads and using the Polks as only mid bass. Then use my a-pillars as mid range and highs only. I'm waiting on the mailman to drop off my Alpine harness so I can get my $5 9855 back in the car and take advantage of the crossover.

I have an SL1, obviously I wish I could afford a nice 04ish VUE Redline

Old 09-08-2012   #199

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 120 JeremyC will become famous soon enoughJeremyC will become famous soon enoughJeremyC will become famous soon enoughJeremyC will become famous soon enoughJeremyC will become famous soon enoughJeremyC will become famous soon enough

Quote:
THUMP?
Thats the brand. The other day I was trying to think of the subs i had in the first box I ever built. They were Thump Pro's.
JeremyC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012   #200
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 134 benny is just really nicebenny is just really nicebenny is just really nicebenny is just really nicebenny is just really nicebenny is just really nicebenny is just really nicebenny is just really nicebenny is just really nicebenny is just really nicebenny is just really nice

Quote:
Ah, thanks for the info. I have an idea floating around in my head about snipping the tweeter leads and using the Polks as only mid bass. Then use my a-pillars as mid range and highs only. I'm waiting on the mailman to drop off my Alpine harness so I can get my $5 9855 back in the car and take advantage of the crossover.

I have an SL1, obviously I wish I could afford a nice 04ish VUE Redline

SL1 ftw!
benny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement