**Stupidest thing anyone has said to you (audio wise)** - Page 9 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2012   #201
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 104 Danometal will become famous soon enoughDanometal will become famous soon enoughDanometal will become famous soon enoughDanometal will become famous soon enoughDanometal will become famous soon enoughDanometal will become famous soon enough

Default Re: **Stupidest thing anyone has said to you (audio wise)**

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnSL1 View Post
Ah, thanks for the info. I have an idea floating around in my head about snipping the tweeter leads and using the Polks as only mid bass. Then use my a-pillars as mid range and highs only. I'm waiting on the mailman to drop off my Alpine harness so I can get my $5 9855 back in the Car and take advantage of the crossover.

I have an SL1, obviously I wish I could afford a nice 04ish VUE Redline
I'm hoping somebody will quote me saying "Polk DB components sound fantastic!" for material on this epic thread. lol

But... they do if done right...

Your idea gave me an idea. I wonder if you could snip the tweeters, and amp them separately (they have caps on them though).

Edit: if you used just the midbass on your coaxial, I think they are allowed just roll off naturally vs being low passed.
Danometal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2012   #202
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 83 SaturnSL1 will become famous soon enoughSaturnSL1 will become famous soon enoughSaturnSL1 will become famous soon enoughSaturnSL1 will become famous soon enoughSaturnSL1 will become famous soon enoughSaturnSL1 will become famous soon enoughSaturnSL1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danometal View Post
I'm hoping somebody will quote me saying "Polk DB components sound fantastic!" for material on this epic thread. lol

Your idea gave me an idea. I wonder if you could snip the tweeters, and amp them separately (they have caps on them though).

Edit: if you used just the midbass on your coaxial, I think they are allowed just roll off naturally vs being low passed.
Yeah, you can use two different amps on a set of coaxials that have been given the snip lol. I tested this on a set of Infiniti Kappas and it worked great. The woofer was being powered by a Legacy amp and the tweet was on the head unit. Seemed to work great. You can even cut the caps off if you really wanted to control the high pass frequency yourself.
SaturnSL1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012   #203
Upgrade Your Membership!

Food Pimp

Rep Power: 235 chefhow has a reputation beyond reputechefhow has a reputation beyond reputechefhow has a reputation beyond reputechefhow has a reputation beyond reputechefhow has a reputation beyond reputechefhow has a reputation beyond reputechefhow has a reputation beyond reputechefhow has a reputation beyond reputechefhow has a reputation beyond reputechefhow has a reputation beyond reputechefhow has a reputation beyond repute

The same person that Chuck ran into in his Car got in my Car to evaluate it at a show last year. When he was done with his demo he asked what kind of tweeters I was running, I told him I wasnt, that I ran widebanders but asked why. He said I had to be because they were harsh...

At the end of the day, it's just car audio man
chefhow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012   #204

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 75 shnitz will become famous soon enoughshnitz will become famous soon enoughshnitz will become famous soon enoughshnitz will become famous soon enoughshnitz will become famous soon enoughshnitz will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=Danometal;1711080]I'm hoping somebody will quote me saying "Polk DB components sound fantastic!" for material on this epic thread. lol

Edit: if you used just the midbass on your coaxial, I think they are allowed just roll off naturally vs being low passed.[/]

I think they're not too bad! Playing off of stereo_luver's earlier comments of "Off the shelf drivers sold at most retailers," Polk's entry-level components I would say are up there with the other companies' mid-range line. For example, sticking with 6.5" components, I'd rate their DB6501 up there with any other $150-$200 component system like Pioneer Type D, Alpine Type R, Kicker KS, etc. Considering that those companies have products even lower-end than that like Pioneer Type A and G, Alpine Type S and Type E, I think it's not too shabby.
shnitz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012   #205
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 104 Danometal will become famous soon enoughDanometal will become famous soon enoughDanometal will become famous soon enoughDanometal will become famous soon enoughDanometal will become famous soon enoughDanometal will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=shnitz;1711107]
Quote:

Edit: if you used just the midbass on your coaxial, I think they are allowed just roll off naturally vs being low passed.[/]

I think they're not too bad! Playing off of stereo_luver's earlier comments of "Off the shelf drivers sold at most retailers," Polk's entry-level components I would say are up there with the other companies' mid-range line. For example, sticking with 6.5" components, I'd rate their DB6501 up there with any other $150-$200 component system like Pioneer Type D, Alpine Type R, Kicker KS, etc. Considering that those companies have products even lower-end than that like Pioneer Type A and G, Alpine Type S and Type E, I think it's not too shabby.
Yea, that "off the shelf" comment led me to posting about my surprising success with those Polks. The vocals are most excellent. But, they get hated on quite a bit for some reason, probably for how they sound under-powered I guess (harsh and tinny on HU power).
Old 09-08-2012   #206
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 87 Spyke will become famous soon enoughSpyke will become famous soon enoughSpyke will become famous soon enoughSpyke will become famous soon enoughSpyke will become famous soon enoughSpyke will become famous soon enoughSpyke will become famous soon enoughSpyke will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I run entry level Polk DB components, and they sound fantastic. My "secret" is to run them active, cross them @ 80 hz, knock the tweeters back, cross the tweeters high @ 5k, and boost the EQ +2 from 250 - 630 hz.
Well just tell everyone why don't you.
Spyke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012   #207
Upgrade Your Membership!

Chief of Information

12V Company:
Audiofrog Inc.
Position:
President

Rep Power: 550 Andy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond repute

"Speaker cones made out of naturally occurring materials are better at reproducing acoustic music."

Biggest load of horse shit anyone ever told me about audio.

"Time alignment is actually time mis-alignment"

Second biggest load of horse shit anyone ever told me about audio.
Andy Wehmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012   #208
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 149 fish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wehmeyer View Post
"Time alignment is actually time mis-alignment"

Second biggest load of horse shit anyone ever told me about audio.
I think I just read that one somewhere yesterday.

P01 - HD600/4(2) - T1500-1bdCP - LPG 26NA - Peerless NE95W - Usher 1001B - Soloclassic 15(2)
fish is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012   #209

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 108 Calum will become famous soon enoughCalum will become famous soon enoughCalum will become famous soon enoughCalum will become famous soon enoughCalum will become famous soon enoughCalum will become famous soon enough

"If you listen to rock or metal you need an 8inch sub. For pop you need a 10 and for rap you need a 12. You can't get the speed out of the 12 that's needed for rock. I go in the middle and use a 10."
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012   #210

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 70 Noobdelux is on a distinguished roadNoobdelux is on a distinguished roadNoobdelux is on a distinguished roadNoobdelux is on a distinguished roadNoobdelux is on a distinguished road

may not fit in here but....
pimp my ride norway
Noobdelux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012   #211

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 95 david in germany will become famous soon enoughdavid in germany will become famous soon enoughdavid in germany will become famous soon enoughdavid in germany will become famous soon enoughdavid in germany will become famous soon enoughdavid in germany will become famous soon enough

I was told that 6.5's couldn't produce bass under 80hz.. I let them hear my 4 6.5s ported at 30hz on 1k watts.

Posted from Imperial walker 17a via planetary datcom server
david in germany is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012   #212

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 71 hpilot2004 will become famous soon enoughhpilot2004 will become famous soon enoughhpilot2004 will become famous soon enoughhpilot2004 will become famous soon enoughhpilot2004 will become famous soon enoughhpilot2004 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by david in germany View Post
I was told that 6.5's couldn't produce bass under 80hz.. I let them hear my 4 6.5s ported at 30hz on 1k watts.

I wanna see this set-up, if you don't mind.
hpilot2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012   #213
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 87 Spyke will become famous soon enoughSpyke will become famous soon enoughSpyke will become famous soon enoughSpyke will become famous soon enoughSpyke will become famous soon enoughSpyke will become famous soon enoughSpyke will become famous soon enoughSpyke will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Not that they can't, but in most situations they shouldn't. Example:trying to get 6.5's to keep up with 2 12's crossed at 60hz. Not gonna happen. If your 6.5's, 5.25's, or even 4's are your subs, then no worries. I've always wanted to do an array of 4" subs. I do like your idea of 4 - 6" subs though.
Old 09-08-2012   #214
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Rep Power: 203 SkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of lightSkizeR is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpilot2004 View Post
x2

Daily driver finished. Project car under construction
SkizeR is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012   #215
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyke View Post
Well just tell everyone why don't you.
I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm not telling my secrets.
Old 09-08-2012   #216
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 79 hurrication will become famous soon enoughhurrication will become famous soon enoughhurrication will become famous soon enoughhurrication will become famous soon enoughhurrication will become famous soon enoughhurrication will become famous soon enoughhurrication will become famous soon enoughhurrication will become famous soon enough

I'm going to chime in and add a +1 to the list of people wanting to see David's 6.5's.
hurrication is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012   #217
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 83 SaturnSL1 will become famous soon enoughSaturnSL1 will become famous soon enoughSaturnSL1 will become famous soon enoughSaturnSL1 will become famous soon enoughSaturnSL1 will become famous soon enoughSaturnSL1 will become famous soon enoughSaturnSL1 will become famous soon enough

Check this out, sixteen 5 1/4s in a box.

16 Coustic PowerLogic 5 1/4" woofers pounding away - YouTube
SaturnSL1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012   #218
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnSL1 View Post
Check this out, sixteen 5 1/4s in a box.

16 Coustic PowerLogic 5 1/4" woofers pounding away - YouTube
Haha, that's awesome. That bass line sounded familiar.
Old 09-08-2012   #219

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 95 david in germany will become famous soon enoughdavid in germany will become famous soon enoughdavid in germany will become famous soon enoughdavid in germany will become famous soon enoughdavid in germany will become famous soon enoughdavid in germany will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpilot2004 View Post
My old car, let me find a pic. It was ED 6.5s on an ED nine.1.

Old 09-08-2012   #220
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 162 BuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
"If you listen to rock or metal you need an 8inch sub. For pop you need a 10 and for rap you need a 12. You can't get the speed out of the 12 that's needed for rock. I go in the middle and use a 10."
That's the worst one! I try not to reply to those posts or in real life but so far I just haven't been able to help myself. At least in real life if I have my Car nearby I can illustrate how they're wrong. If not, it's just frustrating.

'84 GN 10.60@ 127mph.
'07 Epic Expert
'14 Trance SX with SRAM XX1 1x11 Drivetrain.
'06 TL.
BuickGN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012   #221

DIYMA Novice

Here you go.

Musical, and quite loud.
Old 09-08-2012   #222
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Here you go.

Musical, and quite loud.
Very cool. How many wtf's did you get when you opened your trunk?
Old 09-08-2012   #223
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 261 pocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurrication View Post
I'm going to chime in and add a +1 to the list of people wanting to see David's 6.5's.
I have a single 6.5 that plays from 38 to 70. Enclosure is in my Build log. 4 of them would be pretty nice indeed. I think the 4 6.5's in HATs G35 play down to 28hz.

Team MSE/JL Audio
2014 INAC Amateur runner up
2014/2015 MECA Modex OK state champion

Online Time Alignment Calculator
pocket5s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012   #224
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 261 pocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond repute

I actually got my own story just last night. Went to dinner with my wife and a bunch of her friends from work. One of them brought her son, maybe early 20's or so. Walked up and said "I hear you do speakers". I just looked at him funny. He then said, "like boxes and such?" I just nodded and left it at that.

Team MSE/JL Audio
2014 INAC Amateur runner up
2014/2015 MECA Modex OK state champion

Online Time Alignment Calculator
pocket5s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012   #225

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyke View Post
Very cool. How many wtf's did you get when you opened your trunk?
I would have people sit in it and ask them what subs they thought I was running before I showed them. The typical answer was 1 15" or a pair of 12's the average guess on Power was anywhere between 1000-2000w. When I showed people they would not believe it and still think I had larger subs forward of the 6.5's. ED did have a good recipe with that little sub.

I still have a pair of JL 6w1s, an old pair of Fosgate 6.5 subs and a pair of earthquake 6.5" subs that I rally want Build some test boxes for but don't seem to have time for it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement