**Stupidest thing anyone has said to you (audio wise)** - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2012   #1
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Rep Power: 193 SkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the rough

Default **Stupidest thing anyone has said to you (audio wise)**

**stole this from another forum but i thought it would be a great idea for this one**

What are some of the stupidest things people have said to you concerning Car audio? I'll start it off..

coming from a person who claims he has been into Car audio for 25 years and a shop owner (who is obsessed with hertz/audison) when i showed him Hybrid audio and was looking at the clarus line.. "yeah, no these are pieces of crap that are just re-branded, cheaper version of the Hertz Hi-Energy's. Look at the crossover, theyre exactly the same but with cheaper parts..."
Later on he looked at the Legatia and said they were re-branded, Milles. Needless to say i left and refuse to go back.

LETS HEAR YOURS!...

"You might want to pick up a MS-8 if you want to play metal"

1990 300zx Build Log
SkizeR is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2012   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 69 Richv72 will become famous soon enoughRichv72 will become famous soon enoughRichv72 will become famous soon enoughRichv72 will become famous soon enoughRichv72 will become famous soon enoughRichv72 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: **Stupidest thing anyone has said to you (audio wise)**

Dc audio subs sound good.
Richv72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2012   #3
Guy
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 140 Guy will become famous soon enoughGuy will become famous soon enoughGuy will become famous soon enoughGuy will become famous soon enoughGuy will become famous soon enoughGuy will become famous soon enough

I guess my favorite was the stoner who told me it was ok if a subwoofer had a blown voice coil... because subwoofers don't need to reproduce frequencies as high as voices anyways.
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012   #4

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 108 jimboman will become famous soon enoughjimboman will become famous soon enoughjimboman will become famous soon enoughjimboman will become famous soon enoughjimboman will become famous soon enoughjimboman will become famous soon enough

Had a dead battery once and the tow truck driver who gave me a jump looked at the battery and said "Here's your problem why your battery is dead" and grabbed my Power cable. He said "you need to run this off you fuse box, not the battery"

Eclipse CD 7200mkII - Monster wiring (flame suit on) MTX Thunder 8302 and 6152 - Original Kicker Comp sub - You guys would laugh me out of here if you knew what I was using up front
jimboman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2012   #5

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 80 Slammer will become famous soon enoughSlammer will become famous soon enoughSlammer will become famous soon enoughSlammer will become famous soon enoughSlammer will become famous soon enoughSlammer will become famous soon enough

I've heard plenty over the years. A good one would be that his off brand amp was rated at 2,000w and he only wanted an 8ga install kit to Power it. Another would be the guy that has issues with his system shutting down, and he has his ground Wire screwed to piece of plastic trim with a trim screw. Better yet, I've seen a ground that was taped with Scotch tape, because the individual doing the install couldn't crimp the ring terminal.... I am sure many have seen much worse. This thread should be very entertaining! People are idiots, for sure.
Slammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2012   #6
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Rep Power: 193 SkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the roughSkizeR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
I guess my favorite was the stoner who told me it was ok if a subwoofer had a blown voice coil... because subwoofers don't need to reproduce frequencies as high as voices anyways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboman View Post
Had a dead battery once and the tow truck driver who gave me a jump looked at the battery and said "Here's your problem why your battery is dead" and grabbed my Power cable. He said "you need to run this off you fuse box, not the battery"
lmfao those are both golden.

1990 300zx Build Log
Old 09-02-2012   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 160 Mless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enough

Some random craigslist seller replies to my question "what color is the grill (OEM door piece, usually matched to car's interior color):

"you can spray paint them any color you want. this will reinforce rigidity of the cone ==> crisp and precise sound"
Mless5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2012   #8
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammer View Post
I've heard plenty over the years. A good one would be that his off brand amp was rated at 2,000w and he only wanted an 8ga install kit to Power it. Another would be the guy that has issues with his system shutting down, and he has his ground Wire screwed to piece of plastic trim with a trim screw. Better yet, I've seen a ground that was taped with Scotch tape, because the individual doing the install couldn't crimp the ring terminal.... I am sure many have seen much worse. This thread should be very entertaining! People are idiots, for sure.

1990 300zx Build Log
Old 09-02-2012   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 96 FartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enough

I bought a PG MS2125 from a dumbass on Craigslist for $50! He said I had this or the Sony Xplod to use in my Car and you know I had to go Sony! I was like umm... EXCELLENT CHOICE!

Working on an install plan for my 2013 Subaru Legacy. Will post a build log soon!
FartinInTheTub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2012   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Kneel Before Zod!!!!!

Rep Power: 111 robert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FartinInTheTub View Post
I bought a PG MS2125 from a dumbass on Craigslist for $50! He said I had this or the Sony Xplod to use in my Car and you know I had to go Sony! I was like umm... EXCELLENT CHOICE!
Epic! Why can't all CL sellers be this naive?
robert_wrath is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012   #11

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 103 Just_Crazy will become famous soon enoughJust_Crazy will become famous soon enoughJust_Crazy will become famous soon enoughJust_Crazy will become famous soon enoughJust_Crazy will become famous soon enoughJust_Crazy will become famous soon enough

this isn't an addiction.
Just_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 130 lucas569 will become famous soon enoughlucas569 will become famous soon enoughlucas569 will become famous soon enoughlucas569 will become famous soon enoughlucas569 will become famous soon enoughlucas569 will become famous soon enough

"is your stereo stock?"

yes ive heard this alot!
lucas569 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

That's what she said.

Rep Power: 111 adrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeadrenalinejunkie has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you have a subwoofer? I can barely hear it.

Humph umph tsk tsk hump umph tsk
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkZ View Post
It's not Tchaikovsky. But it's still music that people like and that people want to listen to. Therefore, the goal is to meet that demand. When you let your audio system dictate the music you listen to, you've lost.
adrenalinejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012   #14
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 59 Rs roms will become famous soon enoughRs roms will become famous soon enoughRs roms will become famous soon enoughRs roms will become famous soon enoughRs roms will become famous soon enoughRs roms will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Skype™ to Rs roms

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenalinejunkie View Post
Why do you have a subwoofer? I can barely hear it.
Good one

Pioneer 80PRS/ Focal 165 KRX3/ Helix DSP /JBL Power Series P 1224/ Focal Elite ER5 RCA
MMATS SQ 4160/ Pioneer GM 9601/ Scorpion QSP RCA/ Orion/ STP/ Focal PK21/ Stinger/ C Quence
Rs roms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012   #15
Upgrade Your Membership!

Dream Big!

Rep Power: 998 ChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond reputeChrisB has a reputation beyond repute

I was once told that my old amplifiers were going to fry upon the first Power cycle in the Car by a sales associate at a Car audio shop trying to sell me a brand new Memphis Power Reference amplifier. I told him that I had a 55 amp, 12 volt power source, and they worked perfectly fine on it in the house on my test bench. His retort "Yeah, but when you put them in the car, they are going to blow. You've been warned and you are going to wish you had purchased this amp that is on sale for today only!"

I told him that I would see him again and just pay full price if that is indeed the case.

2013 Driver's Edition German Fit with Kenwood DNX891HD Source, Audison BitOne Processor, MMATS HIFI-6150D amplifier, Genesis Profile 16 Components (active, of course), and a 10" Alpine Type R Subwoofer in a custom sealed fiberglass enclosure.

"Beware of the forum boner for it will screw you every time!"
ChrisB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 81 SaturnSL1 will become famous soon enoughSaturnSL1 will become famous soon enoughSaturnSL1 will become famous soon enoughSaturnSL1 will become famous soon enoughSaturnSL1 will become famous soon enoughSaturnSL1 will become famous soon enoughSaturnSL1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FartinInTheTub View Post
LOL! I had a similar experience with a kid I knew who had wanted me to install some 6x9s in his rear deck. I popped down the seat to remove the panel and saw a US Amps USA400 laying in his trunk. I asked him what he was doing with it and he told me "I got it from my uncle, it's crappy it can't push my subs like my new Kicker 750.1". I asked him what he wanted for it and he told me $20...

I asked him what he had it running off of and he told me it was running off the same Wire as his Kicker amp. One single run of cheap 8 gauge Power and ground...

This same kid sold me an Alpine CDA-9855 for $5 because the internal amplifier was shot. To him it was trash, to me it was gold. I mean, who even uses the head units amplifier these days?
SaturnSL1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 160 BuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to behold

My personal experiences when demoing my car:

The mention of two 15s gets respect from the loud crowd which is 95% of the people around here. The other so called "SQ" guys look down on them before hearing them, assuming I'm like the other 95%. It's gotten to the point of being annoying, EVERYONE wants to hear what the 15s can really do, even though I keep it a little on the bass heavy side as is. I've cranked the gain real quick for a few people but I don't bother anymore to throw the tune off for some idiots.

Having 10s in the doors gets the same reaction. The best solution is to not tell anyone what's in the car, at least not until after they've heard it first.

When you try to explain what the processor does, they can't get past their own "surround sound" assumption. Trying to explain a stage is pointless.

I've learned that most people quantify a good system by how much treble and 40hz bass it produces. It can sound extremely good and realistic but apparently ear bleeding treble is what they're looking for to show how "clear" it is.

That brings me to my next one... When demoing others' systems...

Infinity speakers. I think 90% of the "badass" systems I've heard have infinities and bottom of the line Kicker subs. No vocals, no identifiable instruments, everything blends together in this mess of screeching treble along with the usual overly boosted 40hz from the bottom of the line Kickers powered by a boss amp. Shit is the only way to describe these things. I want to poke my eardrums out every time.

I let a guy who has a system like this adjust mine however he wanted. I let him go to town with the MS8, every adjustment it had and lo and behold, my Dyns sounded an awful lot like his Infinity system when he was done. I was amazed, people actually want their system to sound that way.

I guess this is more things I don't like when listening to or having other people listen to my system but there have been some insanely ignorant things mentioned, most of which I try and forget as quickly as possible. I'l try and think of some more. There have been several times I almost started a topic like this one after hearing someone's car.

The only one I can think of off the top of my head which isn't that bad compared to most, a local shop said IB can't work, that it's impossible.

'84 GN 10.60@ 127mph.
'07 Epic Expert
'14 Trance SX with SRAM XX1 1x11 Drivetrain.
'06 TL.
BuickGN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 130 lucas569 will become famous soon enoughlucas569 will become famous soon enoughlucas569 will become famous soon enoughlucas569 will become famous soon enoughlucas569 will become famous soon enoughlucas569 will become famous soon enough

you know those crappy systems are what sells sadly!

sq systems were far and few between at most shops.
lucas569 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 142 miniSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the rough

when people find out i am into Car audio...95% of the time i get some kind of comment involving booming subwoofers. Which backs up my opinion that most people are morons.

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT
HelixDSP / Director
PG Elite.5
KAXBLTWT/Sinfoni Maestoso
IDQ8
miniSQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 85 Spyke will become famous soon enoughSpyke will become famous soon enoughSpyke will become famous soon enoughSpyke will become famous soon enoughSpyke will become famous soon enoughSpyke will become famous soon enoughSpyke will become famous soon enoughSpyke will become famous soon enough

I was looking for a hu with 3way active xo's, the guy from a reputable dealer said he had never heard of a hu like that. He told me that I was thinking of a dsp. Thank God he knew what one of those was.
Spyke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 85 Spyke will become famous soon enoughSpyke will become famous soon enoughSpyke will become famous soon enoughSpyke will become famous soon enoughSpyke will become famous soon enoughSpyke will become famous soon enoughSpyke will become famous soon enoughSpyke will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuickGN View Post
My personal experiences when demoing my car:

The mention of two 15s gets respect from the loud crowd which is 95% of the people around here. The other so called "SQ" guys look down on them before hearing them, assuming I'm like the other 95%. It's gotten to the point of being annoying, EVERYONE wants to hear what the 15s can really do, even though I keep it a little on the bass heavy side as is. I've cranked the gain real quick for a few people but I don't bother anymore to throw the tune off for some idiots.

Having 10s in the doors gets the same reaction. The best solution is to not tell anyone what's in the car, at least not until after they've heard it first.

When you try to explain what the processor does, they can't get past their own "surround sound" assumption. Trying to explain a stage is pointless.

I've learned that most people quantify a good system by how much treble and 40hz bass it produces. It can sound extremely good and realistic but apparently ear bleeding treble is what they're looking for to show how "clear" it is.

That brings me to my next one... When demoing others' systems...

Infinity speakers. I think 90% of the "badass" systems I've heard have infinities and bottom of the line Kicker subs. No vocals, no identifiable instruments, everything blends together in this mess of screeching treble along with the usual overly boosted 40hz from the bottom of the line Kickers powered by a boss amp. Shit is the only way to describe these things. I want to poke my eardrums out every time.

I let a guy who has a system like this adjust mine however he wanted. I let him go to town with the MS8, every adjustment it had and lo and behold, my Dyns sounded an awful lot like his Infinity system when he was done. I was amazed, people actually want their system to sound that way.

I guess this is more things I don't like when listening to or having other people listen to my system but there have been some insanely ignorant things mentioned, most of which I try and forget as quickly as possible. I'l try and think of some more. There have been several times I almost started a topic like this one after hearing someone's car.

The only one I can think of off the top of my head which isn't that bad compared to most, a local shop said IB can't work, that it's impossible.
Thanks Buick, I needed a good laugh. Everything you said was true. Yup bass and treble are all you need, fuck the midrange.
Spyke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012   #22

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 72 Micksh will become famous soon enoughMicksh will become famous soon enoughMicksh will become famous soon enoughMicksh will become famous soon enoughMicksh will become famous soon enoughMicksh will become famous soon enough

How about this one...it's from the owner of a really small local shop. He was saying to me one day he had to get an amp he acquired from a customer repaired because the customer had too large a battery, and the extra current blew the Power supply of the amplifier up....remember, this was a shop owner!
Micksh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012   #23

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 97 stewartwms21 will become famous soon enoughstewartwms21 will become famous soon enoughstewartwms21 will become famous soon enoughstewartwms21 will become famous soon enoughstewartwms21 will become famous soon enoughstewartwms21 will become famous soon enough

I had 2 alpine type E 10's listed on CL. I got a text from this kid wanting them for is girlfriends car. He offered me 50$ for them. I told him i could get that for each sub on ebay. His response "well I'm running 1 explod 12 and she likes that. So i figure 2 tens would work. Also I'm looking to do this on the cheap. Lets face it 1 sony exlpod is way better cause type E's are weak!" i about peed my pants laughing so hard. There are sooo many bassheads in Dayton it's insane. All is see on Cl are kicker and Rockford 12's in giant ported boxes. Also see alot of JL stuff on the cheap for some reason too. My favorite is the boss 15's w ported box and boss 4000w amps. Ppl should have to take a competency test to reproduce!
stewartwms21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012   #24
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 153 Mic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura about

A friend was told by a Speaker company " Our speakers arent designed to be run out of phase"

2010 MECA Extreme World champion,
2005 IASCA World Champion Pro 600+
2010 MECA Mike Baylor Sportsmanship Award
2011 MECA SQL Spirit Award
2012 MECA SQL Judge of The Year
2012 IASCA FINALS SQ/INSTALL Judge
2012 USACi Japan Finals Judge
2013 IASCA FINALS IQC Install Judge
Mic10is is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

a boombox is not a toy

12V Company:
Malibu's Auto Center
Position:
Janitor/Install Manager

Rep Power: 116 jowens500 will become famous soon enoughjowens500 will become famous soon enoughjowens500 will become famous soon enoughjowens500 will become famous soon enoughjowens500 will become famous soon enoughjowens500 will become famous soon enough

Had a guy who works at DD tell me the DD amp I was installing for a friend of his wouldn't come out of protect mode because I didn't have any speakers hooked up.

2009 USACi Basic Consumer World Champion (Installer)
2009 USACi mod2000-4000 4th place (Installer)
2009 USACi SB3 3rd place (Installer)
jowens500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement