New Sony RSX-GS9 - Page 10 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2017   #226

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 104 willtel will become famous soon enoughwilltel will become famous soon enoughwilltel will become famous soon enoughwilltel will become famous soon enoughwilltel will become famous soon enoughwilltel will become famous soon enough

Default Re: New Sony RSX-GS9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineball76 View Post
This being discussed heavily on the fb page right now but still a little baffled.
What Facebook page is that?
willtel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2017   #227
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 104 nineball76 will become famous soon enoughnineball76 will become famous soon enoughnineball76 will become famous soon enoughnineball76 will become famous soon enoughnineball76 will become famous soon enoughnineball76 will become famous soon enoughnineball76 will become famous soon enough

Strictly sound quality
nineball76 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2017   #228
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 104 nineball76 will become famous soon enoughnineball76 will become famous soon enoughnineball76 will become famous soon enoughnineball76 will become famous soon enoughnineball76 will become famous soon enoughnineball76 will become famous soon enoughnineball76 will become famous soon enough

So I guess all inputs are equal now. The usb1 and 2 just being turned on via software update due to licensing issue before.

Old 03-07-2017   #229
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 136 benny z is just really nicebenny z is just really nicebenny z is just really nicebenny z is just really nicebenny z is just really nicebenny z is just really nicebenny z is just really nicebenny z is just really nicebenny z is just really nicebenny z is just really nicebenny z is just really nice

it still says this on the product info page on sony's website:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sony
Pure High-Resolution Audio

Get the best from your music over direct USB DAC connection
To get the best quality audio from your receiver, simply hook up your high-resolution capable smartphone to the front USB micro port for direct streaming playback with the ESS D/A converter.
Bluetooth® Car Stereo with MP3 | RSX-GS9 | Sony US

ben zimmerman
co-founder - SQOLOGY

team hybrids : team brax-helix usa : team mobile audio plus : team strictly sound quality
benny z is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2017   #230
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 136 benny z is just really nicebenny z is just really nicebenny z is just really nicebenny z is just really nicebenny z is just really nicebenny z is just really nicebenny z is just really nicebenny z is just really nicebenny z is just really nicebenny z is just really nicebenny z is just really nice

...and from the features page:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sony
Enjoy pure High-Resolution Audio via front micro USB
Experiencing the highest quality playback on the RSX-GS9 is easy: just connect your High-Resolution Audio capable smartphone or player to the front-facing micro USB port and you’re ready to go. This connection makes sure audio signals pass directly through the industry-leading ESS D/A converter, so you can enjoy great-sounding lossless DSD and linear PCM playback.

ben zimmerman
co-founder - SQOLOGY

team hybrids : team brax-helix usa : team mobile audio plus : team strictly sound quality
Old 03-07-2017   #231
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

I'm sure the website is the last thing to get updated. All usb being equal came from a comment on the fb thread, someone actually called Sony and was told all usb handle dsd and follow the exact same path to the dac.
The Following User Says Thank You to nineball76 For This Useful Post:
Babs (03-11-2017)
Old 03-11-2017   #232

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 104 willtel will become famous soon enoughwilltel will become famous soon enoughwilltel will become famous soon enoughwilltel will become famous soon enoughwilltel will become famous soon enoughwilltel will become famous soon enough

Has anyone taken one of these apart yet or have a source for a service manual?

I would like to change the lighting to a light green color and was wondering what that would take.
Old 03-19-2017   #233
DIYMA 500 Club

Scott

Rep Power: 176 Babs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the rough

Default New Sony RSX-GS9

So my GS9 is in.. And it definitely delivers the sound, no doubt. I can say without a doubt the best I've run so far for SQ.

So how are you guys "successfully" accessing and playing from USB drives connected, USB1 or 2, with phone/device not wired but connected via Bluetooth and Songpal or how you doing it?

This current revision of SongPal is so terribly bad visually.. Blinding black and white. That wasn't broken but they tried to fix it and it's god awful IMO.

But functionally SongPal doesn't seem much better. I'd even thought of creating a SongPal specific thread but share your experiences and knowledge on the interfacing of you would GS9 guys. I got so far as getting it to show the USB tracks in what appears to be the most rudimentary, unimpressive player I think I've ever seen.

I did decide Onkyo HF Player will be the way to go for main player on my iPhone 6, and solely for high-res from phone, with USB connection.

Is Sony doing some kind of big update to the app? Man I hope so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2008 Civic Si Sedan - Sony RSX-GS9, Helix DSP Pro-2 & Director, JL Audio XD1000/5v2 (2), Audiofrog GB10 & GB25, Stereo Integrity TM65, Acoustic Elegance SBP12 (2)
Build Log
Babs is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #234
DIYMA 500 Club

Scott

Rep Power: 176 Babs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the rough

I think I've found a bit of info on my above question on why the iOS version at least is so bad. Sorry if it's covered in here already.. Apparently Sony is transitioning SongPal to an app called "Music Center".. You android guys have it already. iOS won't get it until May 2017 at the earliest.

Would love to know if you guys running Android have a pretty good app as far as solid connectivity, function and player section with the Music Center version. That'll be roughly what's coming to iOS as well. May sway me on the next phone swap.

iOS version: https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/song...724406878?mt=8

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....songpal&hl=en

2008 Civic Si Sedan - Sony RSX-GS9, Helix DSP Pro-2 & Director, JL Audio XD1000/5v2 (2), Audiofrog GB10 & GB25, Stereo Integrity TM65, Acoustic Elegance SBP12 (2)
Build Log
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #235
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babs View Post
I think I've found a bit of info on my above question on why the iOS version at least is so bad. Sorry if it's covered in here already.. Apparently Sony is transitioning SongPal to an app called "Music Center".. You android guys have it already. iOS won't get it until May 2017 at the earliest.

Would love to know if you guys running Android have a pretty good app as far as solid connectivity, function and player section with the Music Center version. That'll be roughly what's coming to iOS as well. May sway me on the next phone swap.

I'd love to be able to answer this, but the app is unusable without having the unit to connect to.
The Following User Says Thank You to nineball76 For This Useful Post:
Babs (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #236
DIYMA 500 Club

Scott

Quote:
I'd love to be able to answer this, but the app is unusable without having the unit to connect to.
Yeah I figured someone with an actual GS9 head unit might chime in on it.

I did confirm at least from USB, no gapless playback.. There is a very brief split second pause between tracks. Unfortunate. Possibly someone's contacted Sony on this if it might be firmware-improved.

Not to gripe to much.. The SQ out of this thing well overcomes it's UI flaws IMHO for my purposes. In sheer output sound-quality is, and build-quality appears to be both stellar.

Build Log
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #237
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 116 subterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enough

The two major gripes are:

No native support of gapless playback

No fast forward within a track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 Audi S6 Quattro
2nd Place IASCA Pro/Am @ 2015 Finals
2nd Place MECA Modified @ 2015 Finals
1st Place MECA Modified @ 2016 SBN
subterFUSE is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #238
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterFUSE View Post

sounds like it's perfect! Gapless annoys me, My Onkyo portlable DAP is doing gapless on almost every track that's dsf and it kinds bugs me.....

I have no need to ever fast forward or reverse in the middle of a song. Skip or Next is about the only function I need to work 100%.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #239
DIYMA 500 Club

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterFUSE View Post

Haven't tested for gapless specifically via "iPod" hookup wired with the phone using the Onk player. Onkyo HF Player certainly does FF/RW from slider.. Took me a bit to find it.. Tap on the album art and it appears during play. Don't know if I have any tunes on the actual phone gapless from one track to another with actual music continuation track-track. hmm

The player portion of SongPal iOS I don't mind reporting is poor enough to forego running from USB just to avoid it.

Build Log

Last edited by Babs; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:32 PM..
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #240
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 116 subterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enough

Default New Sony RSX-GS9

Quote:
sounds like it's perfect! Gapless annoys me, My Onkyo portlable DAP is doing gapless on almost every track that's dsf and it kinds bugs me.....

I have no need to ever fast forward or reverse in the middle of a song. Skip or Next is about the only function I need to work 100%.

Gapless is an essential feature for any media player. It's the only way you can play live albums, classical, opera, or any electronic mixed albums properly.

CD players have had gapless playback since the beginning. It's mind blowing that players would be introduced in this age without it.

The only workaround for gapless playback albums when your player does not support the feature is to rip your gapless albums as a single, long track. But then you might have a use for FF within a track since you'll longer have track advance as an option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2013 Audi S6 Quattro
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #241

DIYMA freshman

Quote:

Songpal was updated on iOS on March 14th. I honestly don't see much that changed but I don't really mess around in it too much.

When I get in the car I unlock my phone start the car and wait for Bluetooth to connect and pop up the Songpal alert on my phone. I choose allow then go into the "Music" section of the app and it opens up the Music app on the phone and I browse around from there. I've tried connecting from USB a few times but my phone and or Lightning cable is due to be replace and it sometimes loses connection if the phone moves around too much.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #242
DIYMA 500 Club

Scott

So on the question of whether this app transition to Music Center name change will make any significant improvements to SongPal, I asked the question on the Sony board.. Maybe some positive response / info will come of it:

RSX-GS9 SongPal improvements for iOS when transiti... - the Community

Build Log
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #243
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

forget the song pal app.

get a win 10 tablet, load it up w/ dsd files, and use any ole windows high res player.

split the win 10 tablet's USB output (mini hub) to both the sony and the helix, thus enabling dsd playback and simultaneous tuning via the single tablet.

ben zimmerman
co-founder - SQOLOGY

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #244
DIYMA 500 Club

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by benny z View Post
forget the song pal app.

get a win 10 tablet, load it up w/ dsd files, and use any ole windows high res player.

split the win 10 tablet's USB output (mini hub) to both the sony and the helix, thus enabling dsd playback and simultaneous tuning via the single tablet.
No kidding? Hmm there's an idea.. Tech that actually works. Wonder if there any reasonably sized (read as "not huge") Win10 tablets out there that would do the job well and not be a massive thing in dash.

But yeah, I pretty much just use the media on the iPhone 6 via Onkyo HF Player.. Haven't tried high-res or DSD with that yet. Meant to play with that but was working on the car this weekend and didn't get much PC time for that, plus getting demo disk/usb's together.

Build Log
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #245
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Default New Sony RSX-GS9

Yeah SongPal sucks. Onkyo player is the way to go, at least until Sony improves the software.

2013 Audi S6 Quattro
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #246
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Does the Sony do audio in thru any of the Usb? Since I can't seem to sell this other CarPC I'm considering using it to control the Sony.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #247
DIYMA 500 Club

Scott

Quote:
Does the Sony do audio in thru any of the Usb? Since I can't seem to sell this other CarPC I'm considering using it to control the Sony.
That'd be cool.. The USB ports are designed for either device (phones, ipods etc) or straight USB stick. I suppose you could do that maybe.

Build Log
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #248
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
That'd be cool.. The USB ports are designed for either device (phones, ipods etc) or straight USB stick. I suppose you could do that maybe.
The more I think about the idea, it sounds like extreme overkill, using the Sony as basically just a dac. Back to the drawing board.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #249
DIYMA 500 Club

Scott

Quote:
The more I think about the idea, it sounds like extreme overkill, using the Sony as basically just a dac. Back to the drawing board.

Off topic but Helix DSP with HEC USB input maybe. Feed directly from car pc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Build Log
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #250
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 311 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
No kidding? Hmm there's an idea.. Tech that actually works. Wonder if there any reasonably sized (read as "not huge") Win10 tablets out there that would do the job well and not be a massive thing in dash.

But yeah, I pretty much just use the media on the iPhone 6 via Onkyo HF Player.. Haven't tried high-res or DSD with that yet. Meant to play with that but was working on the car this weekend and didn't get much PC time for that, plus getting demo disk/usb's together.
Pickings have become pretty slim for compact (<10") Windows tablets. I believe Dell and HP both used to have offerings that you could find pretty cheap. Now it seems like you either pick up a discontinued Win 8 Dell Venue or Asus Vivotab, or go with a NuVision tablet if you want Windows 10.

I've not used any of them, but was keeping an eye on Windows tablets for similar reasons.

Pioneer DEH-80PRS | Mosconi 6to8 V8 | Arc KS900.6 | Arc KS600.2 | Illusion TL 25 BN | Illusion C5 | Arc Black 12
2015 MECA SQL Street California State Champion
Sonic Electronix Discount Code: hutsell
rton20s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement