New Sony RSX-GS9 - Page 2 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2015   #26
Classifieds Access
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 89 gumbeelee will become famous soon enoughgumbeelee will become famous soon enoughgumbeelee will become famous soon enoughgumbeelee will become famous soon enoughgumbeelee will become famous soon enoughgumbeelee will become famous soon enoughgumbeelee will become famous soon enough

Default Re: New Sony RSX-GS9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mless5 View Post
Will pitch in from the industrial designer point of view: thing looks great, I bet it feels as good as it looks, but man, couldn't they put input on the back? They ruin the look as is, let alone when cable(s) will be sticking out front.
Are all the input connectors on the front?

gumbeelee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2015   #27
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 312 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsu1grn View Post
Its not what Sony is selling in Wal Mart for 399.00 that is driving Sony sales and profits.
Ain't that the truth. Its not what Sony is selling in any form of electronics that is driving sales and profits.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/28/bu...nics.html?_r=0

Regardless of any other opinion I may have of the RSX-GS9, I'd be willing to bet my entire system that it is hands down the best head unit manufactured by any insurance company in the world.

Pioneer DEH-80PRS | Mosconi 6to8 V8 | Arc KS900.6 | Arc KS600.2 | Illusion TL 25 BN | Illusion C5 | Arc Black 12
2015 MECA SQL Street California State Champion
Sonic Electronix Discount Code: hutsell
rton20s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2015   #28
DIYMA 500 Club

Scott

Rep Power: 178 Babs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbeelee View Post
Are all the input connectors on the front?
Nope.. USB2 on the back. USB1 and USB-DAC are on the front.

Alpine 149BT FOR SALE!

Manual ... It's a good read.

Songpal demo..
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

2008 Civic Si Sedan - Sony RSX-GS9, Helix DSP Pro-2 & Director, JL Audio XD1000/5v2 (2), Audiofrog GB10 & GB25, Stereo Integrity TM65, Acoustic Elegance SBP12 (2)
Build Log
Babs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015   #29
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 53 Weigel21 will become famous soon enoughWeigel21 will become famous soon enoughWeigel21 will become famous soon enoughWeigel21 will become famous soon enoughWeigel21 will become famous soon enoughWeigel21 will become famous soon enough

With me, the screen is a major player in my decision, I can't stand single line displays that have to scroll for days to display the Artist/Ablum/Track/folder/etc etc. So unless they offer a larger multi-line display in the future, I'd never consider the HU, no matter how well it performs.

Granted I'm a poor broke fool who can't justify $1K+ HU's, but still. I'd have never bought an Alpine CDA-9815, CDA-9833, CDA-117, Sony DSX-S200X (I know, not as good as the previous HUs, but I actually like it MUCH better than the CDA-117 it replaced), or Pioneer DEH-80PRS if they had such lousy screens as this "high-end" Sony.
Weigel21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2015   #30
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 121 Lycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura about

if it control a cd changer and had optical input to receive the signal from it, it'd be an amazing versital headunit.

"you will need to use all 31 bands on the eq, qualifying a speaker as better cause you feel it needs lesser eq just means you're not listening closely enough."
Lycancatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2015   #31
DIYMA 500 Club

Scott

Rep Power: 178 Babs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycancatt View Post
if it control a cd changer and had optical input to receive the signal from it, it'd be an amazing versital headunit.
There are still CD changers out there? Retro!

2008 Civic Si Sedan - Sony RSX-GS9, Helix DSP Pro-2 & Director, JL Audio XD1000/5v2 (2), Audiofrog GB10 & GB25, Stereo Integrity TM65, Acoustic Elegance SBP12 (2)
Build Log
Old 12-30-2015   #32
DIYMA 500 Club

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weigel21 View Post
With me, the screen is a major player in my decision, I can't stand single line displays that have to scroll for days to display the Artist/Ablum/Track/folder/etc etc. So unless they offer a larger multi-line display in the future, I'd never consider the HU, no matter how well it performs.
This thing is designed for device UI.. So your screen can be 3, 4, 5, 6" touchscreen. Trick is some ingenuity in simply mounting the device.. Having this for my iPhone I'd rock an iPad mini (or similarly sized mini tablet) on two nite-ize steelie mounts in about any car, if I couldn't come up with something better.

But there's the paradox of this thing.. Antiquated.. If I'm already using a mini iPad or similar, hell might as well just do a tablet dash install direct to DSP digital, abandon "head units" altogether, and call it done. It's already the phone device. It's already a media source 'switch'.

Bam!

Build Log
Old 12-30-2015   #33

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 86 PianoMan will become famous soon enoughPianoMan will become famous soon enoughPianoMan will become famous soon enoughPianoMan will become famous soon enoughPianoMan will become famous soon enoughPianoMan will become famous soon enough

Now that's a nice install - sleek!

What processor are you feeding? And does it accept native DSD?
PianoMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2015   #34
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 321 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babs View Post
This thing is designed for device UI.. So your screen can be 3, 4, 5, 6" touchscreen. Trick is some ingenuity in simply mounting the device.. Having this for my iPhone I'd rock an iPad mini (or similarly sized mini tablet) on two nite-ize steelie mounts in about any car, if I couldn't come up with something better.

But there's the paradox of this thing.. Antiquated.. If I'm already using a mini iPad or similar, hell might as well just do a tablet dash install direct to DSP digital, abandon "head units" altogether, and call it done. It's already the phone device. It's already a media source 'switch'.

Bam!
I think you summed it up perfectly. If you are going to add a second device, like an ipad, for the display, there are other ways of doing it that would avoid an unnecessary $1,500 head unit. Might as well go straight to a DSP.

This Sony might have amazing sonics, but it just isn't going to cut it as far as I'm concerned. If they want these high end units to sell, they need to make them a bit more...accessible. If it only appeals to 9 people (like this new RSX-GS9) it will die in a few years. Look at how well rounded the P99 is, it's already discontinued. A unit as specialized as this Sony will last half as long on the market as the P99. I mean, if the brilliant P99 wasn't appealing enough to keep it going, how can this Sony work? The P99 isn't even common here, among dedicated hobbyists, let alone in the general public. This Sony is more expensive and even more limited. How they hell does Sony think this is going to end?

2005 Subaru Impreza RS:
Pioneer P99RS / Alpine PDX-V9 and PDX-F4 / Melodic Acoustic Euphoria 6.5 / Pioneer Stage 4 midrange / LPG / 2x AE SBP 15
gijoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2015   #35
DIYMA 500 Club

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
I mean, if the brilliant P99 wasn't appealing enough to keep it going, how can this Sony work? The P99 isn't even common here, among dedicated hobbyists, let alone in the general public.

Interesting though several of the better cars at the NCSQ meet were rockin a 99RS. I might need to stash one just because they're going away. End of an era. Dang they sound good.

Sent from iPhone using Tapatalk

Build Log
Old 12-30-2015   #36
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 109 jpswanberg will become famous soon enoughjpswanberg will become famous soon enoughjpswanberg will become famous soon enoughjpswanberg will become famous soon enoughjpswanberg will become famous soon enoughjpswanberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babs View Post
Standard redbook cd has been the norm for so long, folks kinda have to experience higher formats to understand it's not all unlike going from laserdisc to DVD or DVD to Bluray. Just the next evolution.

Sent from iPhone using Tapatalk
Standard Redbook can sound really good. As good as a Japanese sacd only layer (with its green color) played back on a sacd deck? Of course not, but, and its a big but, the better the dac/transport etc., it can be much better than most people imagine or believe is possible. JPS
jpswanberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2015   #37

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 61 MB2008LTZ will become famous soon enoughMB2008LTZ will become famous soon enoughMB2008LTZ will become famous soon enoughMB2008LTZ will become famous soon enoughMB2008LTZ will become famous soon enoughMB2008LTZ will become famous soon enough

For that kind of money I'll stick with my p99rs.
MB2008LTZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2016   #38
DIYMA 500 Club

Kneel Before Zod!!!!!

Rep Power: 115 robert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond repute

I see Matt Roberts heavily modifying one of the in the future.
robert_wrath is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2016   #39
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 149 Bayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to behold

I still don't get it. A mechless deck touting high fidelity but offers fairly primitive contour controls which anyone in the hobby & business knows is the backbone of a good car audio system. Then offers an amp in the series that offers no furthering in at least the xover capabilities. Ummm... yeah. This is all too reminiscent of past Sony proprietary fails.

05 Taco- 80prs//Helix DSP//PDX F4 >> Titan 8"/ PDX V9 >> ND20FA-6, SB65WBAC25-4, RSS265HO-4
Bayboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2016   #40

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 89 mrpeabody will become famous soon enoughmrpeabody will become famous soon enoughmrpeabody will become famous soon enoughmrpeabody will become famous soon enoughmrpeabody will become famous soon enoughmrpeabody will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayboy View Post
I still don't get it. A mechless deck touting high fidelity but offers fairly primitive contour controls which anyone in the hobby & business knows is the backbone of a good car audio system. Then offers an amp in the series that offers no furthering in at least the xover capabilities. Ummm... yeah. This is all too reminiscent of past Sony proprietary fails.
I'm assuming they're just hinging on the high def audio format.

DEX-P99RS / ScanSpeak D3004/6020-00 / ScanSpeak 10F/8414G-10 / Hertz ML165 / Hertz HX250 / Hertz HCP4D x2
mrpeabody is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2016   #41
DIYMA 500 Club

Kneel Before Zod!!!!!

Rep Power: 115 robert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond reputerobert_wrath has a reputation beyond repute

My question is: Any Apps for Expansion?
Old 01-01-2016   #42
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 74 WestCo will become famous soon enoughWestCo will become famous soon enoughWestCo will become famous soon enoughWestCo will become famous soon enoughWestCo will become famous soon enoughWestCo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_wrath View Post
I see Matt Roberts heavily modifying one of the in the future.
I don't know if this one needs mods... otherwise I would endorse and finance such an endeavor...

People are way too hung up on the display. Just fill a flash drive with high bitrate music, plug it in and press play. Seems like a simple enough concept.

I speak the truth because I care...
Pioneer ODR RS-D7xIII / RS-P90X; Modded Zapco C2k 4.0; Stock C2k 6.0; 2 - ID12; Illusion Audio C8; Scanspeak 2904-6000
WestCo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2016   #43

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 106 haakono will become famous soon enoughhaakono will become famous soon enoughhaakono will become famous soon enoughhaakono will become famous soon enoughhaakono will become famous soon enoughhaakono will become famous soon enough

Sony doesn't need to make this appeal to the masses.. Not any more than the $1200 DSD Walkman, or the $8000 XES-Z50 HU from back in the day:

(my personal unit, took me about 15+ years to finally find a XES setup at a livealbe price point)

They're not making this to start a DSD revolution in car audio, but it's nice to see them step back into higher end car audio after 10+ years of xplod crap (compared to what they used to make).
haakono is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2016   #44
DIYMA 500 Club

Kneel Before Zod!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCo View Post
I don't know if this one needs mods... otherwise I would endorse and finance such an endeavor...

People are way too hung up on the display. Just fill a flash drive with high bitrate music, plug it in and press play. Seems like a simple enough concept.
OPamps to start.
Old 01-01-2016   #45
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 149 Bayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeabody View Post
I'm assuming they're just hinging on the high def audio format.

Then the least they could do is have the headunit not include any processing since most who buy it will more than likely resort to an external processor.

It's like in my situation... having started out with the 80prs, then going on to add a Helix since the 80 can not do exactly what I needed. Had a done a DSP to begin with, I probably wouldn't have used the 80 since it becomes rather redundant at that point despite the claims of how clean it plays.

But time will tell for Sony if this was a good move. We all can speculate based off of past ventures, and it may be so. I just hate to see them lose their ass on this one and avoid anything else that would appear attractive to the SQ hobby.

05 Taco- 80prs//Helix DSP//PDX F4 >> Titan 8"/ PDX V9 >> ND20FA-6, SB65WBAC25-4, RSS265HO-4
Old 01-01-2016   #46
DIYMA 500 Club

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayboy View Post
Then the least they could do is have the headunit not include any processing since most who buy it will more than likely resort to an external processor.

It's like in my situation... having started out with the 80prs, then going on to add a Helix since the 80 can not do exactly what I needed. Had a done a DSP to begin with, I probably wouldn't have used the 80 since it becomes rather redundant at that point despite the claims of how clean it plays.

But time will tell for Sony if this was a good move. We all can speculate based off of past ventures, and it may be so. I just hate to see them lose their ass on this one and avoid anything else that would appear attractive to the SQ hobby.

Well some will use it in a simple conventional setup as Sony markets it, and surely the internal crossovers are defeat able and nothing terribly extensive so it's less of an unused tool than say running an 80PRS or 99RS into external DSP.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Build Log
Old 01-01-2016   #47
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

The 99rs is a different beast altogether though. I'm often tempted to get one and use it as intended. Personally, I wouldn't dare add a dsp to it. The 80 just misses the mark on 4-way, but the low cost makes justification easier to swallow.. The Sony.... well.... LOL

Last edited by Bayboy; 01-01-2016 at 02:55 PM..
Old 01-01-2016   #48

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 89 mrpeabody will become famous soon enoughmrpeabody will become famous soon enoughmrpeabody will become famous soon enoughmrpeabody will become famous soon enoughmrpeabody will become famous soon enoughmrpeabody will become famous soon enough

I'll say this, it's a really expensive digital transport solution...

DEX-P99RS / ScanSpeak D3004/6020-00 / ScanSpeak 10F/8414G-10 / Hertz ML165 / Hertz HX250 / Hertz HCP4D x2
Old 01-01-2016   #49

DIYMA freshman

Also, if you already have a helix i wouldn't go with a P99. It's way more limited in tuning capabilities.

It's really pretty though.

Old 01-01-2016   #50
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeabody View Post
Also, if you already have a helix i wouldn't go with a P99. It's way more limited in tuning capabilities.

It's really pretty though.
The P99 was a standalone consideration for a secondary vehicle. The Helix is in my daily driver.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement