New Sony RSX-GS9 - Page 3 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2016   #51

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 90 mrpeabody will become famous soon enoughmrpeabody will become famous soon enoughmrpeabody will become famous soon enoughmrpeabody will become famous soon enoughmrpeabody will become famous soon enoughmrpeabody will become famous soon enough

Default Re: New Sony RSX-GS9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayboy View Post
The P99 was a standalone consideration for a secondary vehicle. The Helix is in my daily driver.
Ah cool, gotcha. It is my favorite piece of audio equipment, just feels special.

DEX-P99RS / ScanSpeak D3004/6020-00 / ScanSpeak 10F/8414G-10 / Hertz ML165 / Hertz HX250 / Hertz HCP4D x2
mrpeabody is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2016   #52

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 116 What? will become famous soon enoughWhat? will become famous soon enoughWhat? will become famous soon enoughWhat? will become famous soon enoughWhat? will become famous soon enoughWhat? will become famous soon enough

CEoutlook Top 12 Volt Story for 2015 | ceoutlook.com
What? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2016   #53

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 40 Precisionmike will become famous soon enoughPrecisionmike will become famous soon enoughPrecisionmike will become famous soon enoughPrecisionmike will become famous soon enoughPrecisionmike will become famous soon enoughPrecisionmike will become famous soon enough

Anyone using this deck? If so, with a processor?
Precisionmike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016   #54
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 68 Elektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsu1grn View Post
Greetings!

This unit is not for everyone. I have had a Beta unit in my truck for over two months. I had to send that one back as the evaluation period was over and the launch of the unit was taking place. Am I putting another one back in my system? Bet your ass I am!

Agreed, its not for everyone. It is not designed for the masses. It is designed for the people who want the best possible playback of digital audio in their cars. In other words folks, its all about the music!

Having the ability to decode any file,( be it FLAC, AIFF, etc..). is huge for a lot of people. The unit can play standard rebook files up to the highest resolution (16/44.1; 96/24; 88.2/24; 172/24; 192/24; DSD). Since the home audiophiles have embraced computer audio and Sony has been doing a fantastic job creating pre amp/DAC's, it was only a matter of time for Sony to create one of these for the car.

That is the reason why this unit was created folks. The ultra high end in home audio is where the money is at. Its not what Sony is selling in Wal Mart for 399.00 that is driving Sony sales and profits. Sony is not the only one doing this. Most of the high end and upper mid fi companies are making these units. The future of high end audio is in this area and Sony has been leading the parade. When Sony decided to release their DSD catalog to everyone for download, it opened the door for any company to include and license DSD decoding from Sony. That has occurred and the format is doing well and growing. Recently, I had the opportunity to take to several recording engineers who work with mainstream artists. They told me that they are adopting DSD in the studio as one of the formats they will be using from here on. Way better resolution, closer to the original as they have heard!
Thats what DSD does and that is why this unit was built. Its the future in their minds.

I know its not coming out of my system! I think its the future and its the closest thing to vinyl in my truck i have heard!

My two cents!

Nick

Thanks Nick for your mini review - I am going to get one - regardless of the "aesthetic" annoyances - if it sounds good that's all that counts - besides I don't use CD's much anymore all my music is ripped Lossless on my iPhone...

Tell me did you connect it up via a DSP? Did you use RCA or the optical output?

Please go a bit further into your setup for us.. It would be really helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Elektra is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2016   #55

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 40 Precisionmike will become famous soon enoughPrecisionmike will become famous soon enoughPrecisionmike will become famous soon enoughPrecisionmike will become famous soon enoughPrecisionmike will become famous soon enoughPrecisionmike will become famous soon enough

I am also very curious about using the Sony with DSD and 24/192 music and going into a DSP. I planned on going analog out of the Sony (thus utilizing the ESS DAC), into either the Helix or ARC. My concern is if there will be reduction of resolution with the processor does the A/D, D/A conversion. I have asked many, cannot get a solid answer. I guess it depends on the chip limitations of the processor.
Precisionmike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2016   #56

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 111 Mitsu1grn will become famous soon enoughMitsu1grn will become famous soon enoughMitsu1grn will become famous soon enoughMitsu1grn will become famous soon enoughMitsu1grn will become famous soon enoughMitsu1grn will become famous soon enough

Greetings!

My experience with the Mosconi processor has been extremely positive with the Sony. Going analog out of he Sony into the analog section of the 6 to 8 V8 works very well!

Is it as good as coming straight out of the Sony? No. I've bypassed the processor and there is a noticable difference in resolution. However, when driving down the highway I don't notice it due to the road noise. Is resolution better? Yes, even driving at 75 mph I can hear a difference. Higher resolution files obviously have a higher SNR and it is very apparent going through the processor.

The limitation is the processor and it's pre amp section, but even so, there is a huge difference in overall SQ using the Sony.

In August the new 8 to 12 dsp from Mosconi will be arriving and with SNR of 125 db and stereo separation of 115 db utilizing a 24/192 DAC, we should see a higher resolution than what we are seeing now with the 6 to 8. Can't wait!
Mitsu1grn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2016   #57
DIYMA 500 Club

Scott

Rep Power: 180 Babs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the rough

Just to comfirm, the EQ on this unit is just a single global EQ correct? Meaning there's no left/right separate EQ's?

2008 Civic Si Sedan - Sony RSX-GS9, Helix DSP Pro-2 & Director, JL Audio XD1000/5v2 (2), Audiofrog GB10/GB25/GB60, Acoustic Elegance SBP12 (2)
Build Log
Babs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2016   #58
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 68 Elektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished road

I think this unit will be better in about a year or two when hi-Res catches on more with the DSP makers... 24/192 will be a minimum - your start seeing 32bit resolution coming out

Old 08-08-2016   #59
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 E63M6 will become famous soon enoughE63M6 will become famous soon enoughE63M6 will become famous soon enoughE63M6 will become famous soon enoughE63M6 will become famous soon enoughE63M6 will become famous soon enough

One of these just popped up in the classifieds and is brand new for a great price. So tempting...

2007 BMW M6

illusion Audio - Mosconi - Helix
E63M6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2016   #60

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 87 hiramgarza will become famous soon enoughhiramgarza will become famous soon enoughhiramgarza will become famous soon enoughhiramgarza will become famous soon enoughhiramgarza will become famous soon enoughhiramgarza will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to hiramgarza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsu1grn View Post
Greetings!

My experience with the Mosconi processor has been extremely positive with the Sony. Going analog out of he Sony into the analog section of the 6 to 8 V8 works very well!

Is it as good as coming straight out of the Sony? No. I've bypassed the processor and there is a noticable difference in resolution. However, when driving down the highway I don't notice it due to the road noise. Is resolution better? Yes, even driving at 75 mph I can hear a difference. Higher resolution files obviously have a higher SNR and it is very apparent going through the processor.

The limitation is the processor and it's pre amp section, but even so, there is a huge difference in overall SQ using the Sony.

In August the new 8 to 12 dsp from Mosconi will be arriving and with SNR of 125 db and stereo separation of 115 db utilizing a 24/192 DAC, we should see a higher resolution than what we are seeing now with the 6 to 8. Can't wait!
Hello finally install the HU Sony RSX-GS9 in my Mazda 6 and can conclude that it is the best head unit I've had, the change to use CD to USB was difficult for me but the daily use made will adapt me fast, the sound is much better than my previous Alpine N957HD, the use with the Sony app (SongPal) is very intuitive, Nick listening to the unit in the finals of Alabama in your Chevy made the want in my car, the analog or digital use are very good (I accompany with a DSP Mosconi 6to8V8), I hope soon to do a full review of the Sony head unit.

Greetings from Monterrey Mexico!

Hiram Garza

My olds C90´s
hiramgarza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2016   #61
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiramgarza View Post
Hello finally install the HU Sony RSX-GS9 in my Mazda 6 and can conclude that it is the best head unit I've had, the change to use CD to USB was difficult for me but the daily use made will adapt me fast, the sound is much better than my previous Alpine N957HD, the use with the Sony app (SongPal) is very intuitive, Nick listening to the unit in the finals of Alabama in your Chevy made the want in my car, the analog or digital use are very good (I accompany with a DSP Mosconi 6to8V8), I hope soon to do a full review of the Sony head unit.

Greetings from Monterrey Mexico!

Hiram Garza

My olds C90´s

Tell me did you use the optical or analogue from the Sony? Did you try both ways? Which was best?

Old 08-11-2016   #62

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 87 hiramgarza will become famous soon enoughhiramgarza will become famous soon enoughhiramgarza will become famous soon enoughhiramgarza will become famous soon enoughhiramgarza will become famous soon enoughhiramgarza will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to hiramgarza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektra View Post
Tell me did you use the optical or analogue from the Sony? Did you try both ways? Which was best?

Actually use both but digital for my is better but on digital i can't use the head unit volume knob, analogue its very good too. For the daily use i prefer analogue and for demo sessions i prefer digital.

Enviado desde mi XT1563 mediante Tapatalk
hiramgarza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2016   #63
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 118 subterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enough

I noticed that the Sony GS9 also has an AUX2 input for high level signals.

The manual shows the high level connection, but it does not say how you select that source for listening on the head unit.

Does anyone know if the source must be selected manually by pressing a button, or can the source selection be done automatically by signal detection?

I am asking because it might be nice to have my car's factory navigation voice play over the Sony and therefore over my main speakers. But this would only be practical if the high level input could be automatically detected and switched.

2013 Audi S6 Quattro
2nd Place IASCA Pro/Am @ 2015 Finals
2nd Place MECA Modified @ 2015 Finals
1st Place MECA Modified @ 2016 SBN
subterFUSE is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2016   #64
Classifieds Access
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 91 gumbeelee will become famous soon enoughgumbeelee will become famous soon enoughgumbeelee will become famous soon enoughgumbeelee will become famous soon enoughgumbeelee will become famous soon enoughgumbeelee will become famous soon enoughgumbeelee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterFUSE View Post
I noticed that the Sony GS9 also has an AUX2 input for high level signals.

The manual shows the high level connection, but it does not say how you select that source for listening on the head unit.

Does anyone know if the source must be selected manually by pressing a button, or can the source selection be done automatically by signal detection?

I am asking because it might be nice to have my car's factory navigation voice play over the Sony and therefore over my main speakers. But this would only be practical if the high level input could be automatically detected and switched.

I believe my buddy has his setup like this. I believe its automatic detection but could be wrong. He gots off work at 6, I will check with him then and let u know.

gumbeelee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2016   #65
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 118 subterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbeelee View Post
I believe my buddy has his setup like this. I believe its automatic detection but could be wrong. He gots off work at 6, I will check with him then and let u know.

Sweet...

Basically, what I am after is being able to listen to hi res music on a USB stick, but then the Navigation voice kicks in and mutes the music, gives me the instructions, and then lets the music start up again.

Also, it might let me keep the bluetooth phone connection with the car instead of using the bluetooth mic on the GS9 itself. Bluetooth on the car is better because of the video screen to show the info.

2013 Audi S6 Quattro
Old 09-02-2016   #66
Classifieds Access
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 91 gumbeelee will become famous soon enoughgumbeelee will become famous soon enoughgumbeelee will become famous soon enoughgumbeelee will become famous soon enoughgumbeelee will become famous soon enoughgumbeelee will become famous soon enoughgumbeelee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Sweet...

Basically, what I am after is being able to listen to hi res music on a USB stick, but then the Navigation voice kicks in and mutes the music, gives me the instructions, and then lets the music start up again.

Also, it might let me keep the bluetooth phone connection with the car instead of using the bluetooth mic on the GS9 itself. Bluetooth on the car is better because of the video screen to show the info.

I will surely let u know what i find out

gumbeelee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2016   #67

Bikinpunk

Rep Power: 25982 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

I'm sure this is in the manual somewhere but it's not jumping out at me...

Can someone tell me the following regarding the DSP section of this headunit:
What are the T/A adjustments in (0.02ms, etc)?
How much delay (in ms or distance units) be applied?
How does the 10 bands of EQ get applied? Are they parametric or graphic? How adjustable (Q and level) are the bands, or are they fixed?
Are there any level adjustments besides the standard balance/fade?

Thanks in advance.

-- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
http://medleysmusings.com/

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html

My 2006 Honda Civic LX Sedan Build Log
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2016   #68
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinH View Post
I'm sure this is in the manual somewhere but it's not jumping out at me...

Can someone tell me the following regarding the DSP section of this headunit:
What are the T/A adjustments in (0.02ms, etc)?
How much delay (in ms or distance units) be applied?
How does the 10 bands of EQ get applied? Are they parametric or graphic? How adjustable (Q and level) are the bands, or are they fixed?
Are there any level adjustments besides the standard balance/fade?

Thanks in advance.
The manual is actually quite worthless. Does not cover any of the sections in any detail.

The delay limits are 0 - 350 cm.

It only says there is an EQ10 Preset with 10 slots available. Says nothing about how many bands or whether it's GEQ or PEQ.

There is a picture of the EQ from the iPhone app that shows a 10 band GEW with +/- 6dB gain sliders. Frequencies appear fixed.

2013 Audi S6 Quattro
Old 09-02-2016   #69

Bikinpunk

Rep Power: 25982 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The manual is actually quite worthless. Does not cover any of the sections in any detail.

The delay limits are 0 - 350 cm.

It only says there is an EQ10 Preset with 10 slots available. Says nothing about how many bands or whether it's GEQ or PEQ.
yea, that's what I found. I thought maybe I was missing something. but I figured not...

hopefully someone who owns this can answer these questions.

Follow my blog:

Time Delay Calculator:

Old 09-02-2016   #70
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
yea, that's what I found. I thought maybe I was missing something. but I figured not...

hopefully someone who owns this can answer these questions.

My impression is that if anyone is thinking this deck will replace a DSP, they will be disappointed.

Use it for what it's worth.... a great source.

2013 Audi S6 Quattro
Old 09-02-2016   #71

Bikinpunk

Oh, I know that. But I still have questions and a purpose for those questions.

Follow my blog:

Time Delay Calculator:

Old 09-02-2016   #72
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 E63M6 will become famous soon enoughE63M6 will become famous soon enoughE63M6 will become famous soon enoughE63M6 will become famous soon enoughE63M6 will become famous soon enoughE63M6 will become famous soon enough

Damn, this guy just put two brand new RSX-GS9 up in the classifieds for $1,000 each.

FS: Brand New Sony RSX-GS9 Hi-Resolution - $ 1,000 Shipped - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

2007 BMW M6

illusion Audio - Mosconi - Helix
E63M6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2016   #73

Bikinpunk

Well, since I had curiosities about this I decided to buy it and try it out. Been talking about it a good bit over on CAJ so if you want to keep up with my thoughts go start here:
Erin's 2006 Civic Sedan - Page 91

I'll leave a teaser here....

Follow my blog:

Time Delay Calculator:

Old 09-30-2016   #74

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 80 mcintoshi will become famous soon enoughmcintoshi will become famous soon enoughmcintoshi will become famous soon enoughmcintoshi will become famous soon enoughmcintoshi will become famous soon enoughmcintoshi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Well, since I had curiosities about this I decided to buy it and try it out. Been talking about it a good bit over on CAJ so if you want to keep up with my thoughts go start here:
Erin's 2006 Civic Sedan - Page 91
I read your question about the micro usb on the front of the Sony on the other thread. It is for any DSD files larger than the 2.8Mhz/64fs. You can play the 2.8's through the USB2 if you have them loaded on a flash drive, but you need the front DAC to play the 5.6Mhz/128fs.

I have played the 2.8s through both ports, I can't say I can hear a difference. When you play it through the micro port, the DSD functionality in the advance sound settings of the app become active. I do not have any 5.6 music so I am not sure how those sound. Hard to imagine the quality getting any better!

2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT6 / Sony RSX-GS9 / Hybrid Audio Clarus C61-2 / Mosconi AS 100.4 / JL Audio 10TW3
mcintoshi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2016   #75
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 67 Elgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enough

Wow they look nice together, not exactly the same color but pretty good match!

Horny Froggy...
Elgrosso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement