New Sony RSX-GS9 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2015   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Hungry all the time

Rep Power: 142 fcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enough

Default New Sony RSX-GS9

It is finally out and in Stock at the Sonic website.

Sony RSX-GS9

Let's discuss...
fcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2015   #2
Classifieds Access
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 91 gumbeelee will become famous soon enoughgumbeelee will become famous soon enoughgumbeelee will become famous soon enoughgumbeelee will become famous soon enoughgumbeelee will become famous soon enoughgumbeelee will become famous soon enoughgumbeelee will become famous soon enough

Default Re: New Sony RSX-GS9

If it only had a cd player, out the window for me!! It's still a sweet unit!!
gumbeelee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2015   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 323 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

It would look so good with a proper screen! I'm looking forward to hearing from those who get this installed.

2005 Subaru Impreza RS:
Pioneer P99RS / Alpine PDX-V9 and PDX-F4 / Melodic Acoustic Euphoria 6.5 / Pioneer Stage 4 midrange / LPG / 2x AE SBP 15
gijoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Hungry all the time

Rep Power: 142 fcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enough

I know my biggest complaint is going to be browsing the tons of files and folders (500GB) I have on my hard drive from that tiny screen. To be honest, I hope Sony doesn't expect us to use that screen for browsing, there has to be something else to go with this unit to allow for that, like an external touch screen or something like that. Makes no sense.
Old 12-29-2015   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 123 Lycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura about

no optical input, headphone jack on the front so ugly! and no cd player for more than a pioneer p99 or clarion drz? yes it plays flac and alac which is nice but not for $500 difference

"you will need to use all 31 bands on the eq, qualifying a speaker as better cause you feel it needs lesser eq just means you're not listening closely enough."
Lycancatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2015   #6

Bikinpunk

Rep Power: 25982 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

I honestly have no idea wtf Sony was thinking with this headunit.

-- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
http://medleysmusings.com/

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html

My 2006 Honda Civic LX Sedan Build Log
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2015   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 323 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinH View Post
It seems like a poor choice if you want to get back into hi-fi car audio. Yes, most people are using an ipod, or hard drive, but many of us who would be interested in a high end piece like this still want a CD drive. For me, that's not a deal breaker, but if you make a deck exclusively around digital audio, you need to make the screen functional, how am I supposed to select albums/artists/songs on that screen?

I do like the overall theme, I like the faceplate and the large knob, I like that there isn't a bunch of extra labels and stickers, but the knob should be further to the right, and the screen should be a proper size. That screen is absolutely a deal breaker, regardless of how the thing performs.

2005 Subaru Impreza RS:
Pioneer P99RS / Alpine PDX-V9 and PDX-F4 / Melodic Acoustic Euphoria 6.5 / Pioneer Stage 4 midrange / LPG / 2x AE SBP 15
Old 12-29-2015   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Hungry all the time

This what I got from Sonic staff regarding the screen question:

"Sony says that the RSX-GS9 was designed with external sources in mind, to which the browsing takes place on - not so much on the headunit itself. Moreover, there isn't an external 'monitor' nor is there one being developed".

So this tells me that Sony expects me to run this unit as a companion to my phone or tablet. If that is the case I just get a device to go toslink directly to my processor. I am pretty sure such device will cost me a lot less than 1500 bucks. Still makes no sense.
Old 12-29-2015   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcarpio View Post

"Sony says that the RSX-GS9 was designed with external sources in mind, to which the browsing takes place on - not so much on the headunit itself. Moreover, there isn't an external 'monitor' nor is there one being developed".
That's a terrible design. I know a lot of people do this (and some prefer it) but driving around with an ipod in your hand switching songs is a terrible way of controlling music in a car.

2005 Subaru Impreza RS:
Old 12-29-2015   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Hungry all the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcarpio View Post

That's a terrible design. I know a lot of people do this (and some prefer it) but driving around with an ipod in your hand switching songs is a terrible way of controlling music in a car.
Agree, that is terrible. Moving on now, nothing to see here.
Old 12-29-2015   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 75 WestCo will become famous soon enoughWestCo will become famous soon enoughWestCo will become famous soon enoughWestCo will become famous soon enoughWestCo will become famous soon enoughWestCo will become famous soon enough

I still want one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I speak the truth because I care...
Pioneer ODR RS-D7xIII / RS-P90X; Modded Zapco C2k 4.0; Stock C2k 6.0; 2 - ID12; Illusion Audio C8; Scanspeak 2904-6000
WestCo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2015   #12
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 314 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinH View Post
Agreed.

It's a half-assed attempt to re-enter the car audio SQ market. Maybe this is on purpose? Just to say "we tried." Perhaps more to do with what is happening internally at Sony, than to cater to our demographic. Or maybe, this is something the Japanese and SE Asian market will eat up?

I really don't know. I just don't see it working here. Not at this ludicrous price point.

Pioneer DEH-80PRS | Mosconi 6to8 V8 | Arc KS900.6 | Arc KS600.2 | Illusion TL 25 BN | Illusion C5 | Arc Black 12
2015 MECA SQL Street California State Champion
Sonic Electronix Discount Code: hutsell
rton20s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2015   #13

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 111 Mitsu1grn will become famous soon enoughMitsu1grn will become famous soon enoughMitsu1grn will become famous soon enoughMitsu1grn will become famous soon enoughMitsu1grn will become famous soon enoughMitsu1grn will become famous soon enough

Greetings!

This unit is not for everyone. I have had a Beta unit in my truck for over two months. I had to send that one back as the evaluation period was over and the launch of the unit was taking place. Am I putting another one back in my system? Bet your ass I am!

Agreed, its not for everyone. It is not designed for the masses. It is designed for the people who want the best possible playback of digital audio in their cars. In other words folks, its all about the music!

Having the ability to decode any file,( be it FLAC, AIFF, etc..). is huge for a lot of people. The unit can play standard rebook files up to the highest resolution (16/44.1; 96/24; 88.2/24; 172/24; 192/24; DSD). Since the home audiophiles have embraced computer audio and Sony has been doing a fantastic job creating pre amp/DAC's, it was only a matter of time for Sony to create one of these for the car.

That is the reason why this unit was created folks. The ultra high end in home audio is where the money is at. Its not what Sony is selling in Wal Mart for 399.00 that is driving Sony sales and profits. Sony is not the only one doing this. Most of the high end and upper mid fi companies are making these units. The future of high end audio is in this area and Sony has been leading the parade. When Sony decided to release their DSD catalog to everyone for download, it opened the door for any company to include and license DSD decoding from Sony. That has occurred and the format is doing well and growing. Recently, I had the opportunity to take to several recording engineers who work with mainstream artists. They told me that they are adopting DSD in the studio as one of the formats they will be using from here on. Way better resolution, closer to the original as they have heard!
Thats what DSD does and that is why this unit was built. Its the future in their minds.

I know its not coming out of my system! I think its the future and its the closest thing to vinyl in my truck i have heard!

My two cents!

Nick
Mitsu1grn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2015   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 75 WestCo will become famous soon enoughWestCo will become famous soon enoughWestCo will become famous soon enoughWestCo will become famous soon enoughWestCo will become famous soon enoughWestCo will become famous soon enough

I have heard from a few people that the sound is incredible on this thing. I couldn't care less about the display.

I speak the truth because I care...
Pioneer ODR RS-D7xIII / RS-P90X; Modded Zapco C2k 4.0; Stock C2k 6.0; 2 - ID12; Illusion Audio C8; Scanspeak 2904-6000
WestCo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2015   #15

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 87 PianoMan will become famous soon enoughPianoMan will become famous soon enoughPianoMan will become famous soon enoughPianoMan will become famous soon enoughPianoMan will become famous soon enoughPianoMan will become famous soon enough

I have been a fan of SACD/DSD for many years (since Sony released the format to the masses a long time ago). The SQ is amazing - I have wanted for so long to have DSD capability in the car. Unfortunately, while waiting for this DSD source unit, I came to realize there is a dearth of source material being released in DSD (unless someone can point me to a treasure trove of DSD music lying around somewhere).

As much as I would hope this unit (and DSD in general) to do well, it will be an uphill battle to gain mass market adoption. Perhaps being a niche market, high-end/low volume may keep it going for Sony. Maybe the vinyl resurgence may lend a hand; in any case - I wish this unit luck, and happy to see Sony still focusing on SQ.

I agree somewhat on the display - it should be more functional. Perhaps it was an engineering decision (not much space in a DIN unit to cram in discrete analog components)? Sony really should consider a companion DIN display device - or perhaps something similar mounted to the front of a DIN dash mounted processor? It looks like it was expected for this unit to be a preamp/source control device?

Last edited by PianoMan; 12-30-2015 at 11:05 AM.. Reason: Had to add talk about the display!
PianoMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2015   #16
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Victory Sonics

12V Company:
Victory Sonics
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 155 Victor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCo View Post
I have heard from a few people that the sound is incredible on this thing. I couldn't care less about the display.
ditto.

It seems like most people don't care to actually understand reality.
Victor_inox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2015   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 141 AAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enough

So the audio format is what makes this sound so good? If DSD takes off (unlikely, see SACD) I am sure even cheepo units will just adopt that format and make it available. Playing "formats" is usually a pretty easy feat.
AAAAAAA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2015   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 117 TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to all

And other units won't likely force you to navigate your music in an irresponsible and dangerous way.

98 Dodge Neon Meca Extreme Class Build
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...-timer-sq.html
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2015   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

Scott

Rep Power: 180 Babs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbeelee View Post
If it only had a cd player, out the window for me!! It's still a sweet unit!!
That actually is not-so-secretly one of the things I like about it.. The entire guts of this thing is full of high-end goodness instead of a disk mech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycancatt View Post
no optical input, headphone jack on the front so ugly! and no cd player for more than a pioneer p99 or clarion drz? yes it plays flac and alac which is nice but not for $500 difference
This unit is all about the guts. I'm going to place a bet not counting any DSP just left/right straight up audio this thing will better even the venerable 99RS.. Granted I'd be leaving the preamp alone running the digital output (which is a biggie).

Safe to say I'm a fanboi. Would I rather have it all behind a 2-din screen, hell yeahs, but it's do-able.

2008 Civic Si Sedan - Sony RSX-GS9, Helix DSP Pro-2 & Director, JL Audio XD1000/5v2 (2), Audiofrog GB10/GB25/GB60, Acoustic Elegance SBP12 (2)
Build Log
Babs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2015   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 141 AAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babs View Post
That actually is not-so-secretly one of the things I like about it.. The entire guts of this thing is full of high-end goodness instead of a disk mech.
I would have assumed that it is mostly empty... no?
AAAAAAA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2015   #21

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 111 Mitsu1grn will become famous soon enoughMitsu1grn will become famous soon enoughMitsu1grn will become famous soon enoughMitsu1grn will become famous soon enoughMitsu1grn will become famous soon enoughMitsu1grn will become famous soon enough

For those of you who are suggesting its all about the DSD capability, let me clarify.

The unit will upsample any signal coming into the unit via the USBII input. So, if you have a rebook CD file in FLAC, if your iPad, phone, Android device, etc....has the ability to play back FLAC or AIFF or whatever, the unit will upsample to at least 24/192 resolution.

I demonstrated that capability at IASCA finals to a number of people going from standard 16/44.1 playback to up sampled playback and it wasn't even close. Pretty impressive in up sampling mode. Dynamic range was increased substantially, depth ,width, height was way better in up sampling mode.

Like I said, its not for everyone. I will comment on the "unsafe" driving aspect of the unit. I has no problem in using the unit changing tracks or changing inputs while driving. All you need to do is pick up the remote and change volume, track up or down, mute, go to tuner or bluetooth the unit. Its all very simple.

Granted, a bigger screen would make a lot of people happy, and I have no doubt that Sony is probably going to look into building one.

As to the lower priced units in the near future, I am not betting on that to happen anytime soon. The DAC chips in this unit that must be used for the up sampling ability are the famous SABRE DAC ES9018 chips along with using an Asynchronous USB input which is capable of transmission of up to 192 Khz. Looking into the unit, if I was looking at this correctly, I was looking at separate power transformers for digital and analog sections of the unit. The internals are designed for maximum signal transfer with the cleanest signal possible given the size constraints of the unit.

Again, this unit is not for everyone, nor was it intended to be!
Mitsu1grn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2015   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

Scott

Rep Power: 180 Babs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAAAAAA View Post
I would have assumed that it is mostly empty... no?
If the rest of the head unit were like your typical garden variety head unit, yes.
However, No.

Vid showing guts

Which has been my point for a long time.. Imagine all the cheddar you could put into a 2-din chassis if there were no amp section, no player, just a brain and preamp section or digi output section.

2008 Civic Si Sedan - Sony RSX-GS9, Helix DSP Pro-2 & Director, JL Audio XD1000/5v2 (2), Audiofrog GB10/GB25/GB60, Acoustic Elegance SBP12 (2)
Build Log
Old 12-30-2015   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 167 Mless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enough

Will pitch in from the industrial designer point of view: thing looks great, I bet it feels as good as it looks, but man, couldn't they put input on the back? They ruin the look as is, let alone when cable(s) will be sticking out front.
Mless5 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2015   #24

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 87 PianoMan will become famous soon enoughPianoMan will become famous soon enoughPianoMan will become famous soon enoughPianoMan will become famous soon enoughPianoMan will become famous soon enoughPianoMan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babs View Post
Imagine all the cheddar you could put into a 2-din chassis if there were no amp section, no player, just a brain and preamp section or digi output section.
Cheddar... Nom, nom, nom...
PianoMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2015   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

Scott

Standard redbook cd has been the norm for so long, folks kinda have to experience higher formats to understand it's not all unlike going from laserdisc to DVD or DVD to Bluray. Just the next evolution.

Sent from iPhone using Tapatalk

Build Log
Sponsored Links
Advertisement