The Clarion NX706 is out! - Page 12 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2017   #276
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

SPEAKER ADDICT

12V Company:
Stereo shop in denver
Position:
Install Manager/ Goofball

Rep Power: 55 oabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enough

Default Re: The Clarion NX706 is out!

Yep that fixed it I had a pioneer USB cable acting as an extension that just need to come out hard drive works perfect now

im so in love with my speakers I found a song I sing to them

https://youtu.be/VgU6LXY-AjI
oabeieo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2017   #277
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 167 bbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAAAAAA View Post
How long for this thing to start up and play music from when the Car is off?
Quote:
I'm looking for a decent double DIN, and my problem is I hate waiting for things to boot up. Most OEM's now, even though they have a bunch of built in features, start right away and I want that as well. I've manage to find a persone saying 15 seconds...does this seem right?
Are all after market touchscreen units super slow still?
The slow boot time on most of these DD HUs is pet peeve of mine as well. If you look back in this thread I have a fairly thorough review of this unit. I found that it usually boots up from a cold start (vehicle off) to Playing Music from a 256gb fast USB memory source in about 12 Seconds, which on-average is faster than most DD head units which take from 20- to over 30-seconds to boot up.

If you were in the NAV/MAPS/GPS mode when the NX706 was last shut down, and then start the vehicle, it can take quit a bit of time to get going while it searches and acquires a GPS signal. Once it has a GPS lock it is very solid.

The rearview-backup camera comes on in about 5 seconds even if the NX706 head unit is completely off when you put the vehicle in reverse. If the NX706 is already on, the rear-view/back-up camera comes on in 3 seconds from when you put the vehicle in reverse or press the camera icon on the screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oabeieo View Post
Don't send it back .
We can work though these small issues
I mean it's your call. There is a thread on DIY I can find it that talks about ADC and how it leaves ringing in the impulse . It even has screenshots it's pretty conclusive . And it makes sense why the CLARiiON sounds Nitin day better .

try and find it
Thanks. Well, I'm already getting a bit-perfect digital output directly from my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8.0" Phablet (#SM-T715Y) connected to an SMSL X-USB XMOS to Digital converter which sends Digital Toslink or Coaxial directly to my Helix DSP PRO.

The Galaxy Tab S2 8.0 has a super sharp and bright superAMOLED display and is also a Cell Phone with LTE data (international version) so I can take and make my calls hands-free while driving.

I use a JoyCon EXR+ module to control the phablet's music playback functions via the Steering Wheel Controls, and I have a SWC button mapped to activate Google Now and Samsung's S-Voice commands, e.g. "Play Bruce Springsteen", or "Text Mom...I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving dinner...I'll be there in an hour!", or "Navigate to Chipotle", etc.

I usually use Google Maps/NAV for navigation anyway, and the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8.0 has that built-in of course, and is nice with the sharp 8" display.

I use the USB audio Player Pro Android app to play back all of my music files including Hi-Res, and it will work with most portable Wi-Fi media server/storage & streaming devices to play music over WiFi from a SSD/HDD/SD card/microSD card/Thumbdrive streamed to the Phablet and out through the SMSL X-USB XMOS converter.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016ZWS9ZE?psc=1

You can also plug in any type of wired USB storage device to the Tab S2 to use as music file storage if you use a powered USB Hub. But the Tab S2 already has a built-in microSD card slot, so I can keep up to a 256gb microSD card in it for music storage without having to go "outside the box".

The main reason I was looking for a nice DD head unit with Digital Output is because I still want to have a really good AM/FM Tuner (preferably with HD Tuner capability), a Back-up/Rear-View Camera, and the convenience of a built-in CD/DVD transport.

I can do all of those things with my phablet setup, but it is a hot mess of outboard modules, wiring, and a lot of tedious setup/configuration. And especially the radio Tuner solutions that I've found so far have all been janky and don't receive radio stations nearly as well as a standard OEM or aftermarket Car stereo. EDIT: Of course I can use the TuneIn Radio app, or any other similar app to STREAM radio stations, but for emergencies or where there is no cellular data available, I like to have a good old-fashioned AM/FM Tuner.

A WiFi backup camera works fine with the phablet, but it takes more time once initiated to display the picture compared to standard wired cameras connected to a DD unit. But the quality of the Wi-Fi camera's picture is a lot better than most standard back-up cameras, and/or the great display on the Tab S2 provides better viewing of the camera's output.

For CDs, I have a portable Sony D-EJ711 Discman CD player which is not much larger than the CD itself which I keep in my center storage compartment. It has Toslink mini optical output for the rare times that I want or need to play a CD. The Toslink output connects along with the digital output from the Galaxy Tab S2 phablet to a 4-input/1-output auto-selection Toslink-Coaxial source switcher, and on to the DSP Pro. EDIT: I also have a portable iBasso DX90 Hi-Res PMP that connects to the switcher via Digital Coaxial. It's roughly the size of an iPod Classic, just a bit thicker.

Overall it would be great to find a High Quality DD head unit that matches or exceeds the quality and features that I can get via my phablet setup and would provide a much easier "Plug N Play" setup. But so far I haven't found anything traditional that matches the GUI/Screen quality and features of my phablet setup.

For reference, I probably have about $850-$900 into my complete tablet setup and that includes all of the outboard modules, cables, Wi-Fi camera, USB Hub and PSU, 256gb microSD card, etc.

And the upside to my Phablet setup is that by unplugging just the charger/data cable from the microUSB port, I can take the Phablet with me so it's still completely usable as an everyday tablet with backup cellphone and LTE data. Plus, the Galaxy Tab S2 8.0 actually fits into almost all of the back pockets of my pants or shorts, and easily into a cargo pocket.

Still, a fixed, high quality DD head unit with optical output would be nice.

Last edited by bbfoto; 01-11-2017 at 04:17 PM..
bbfoto is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017   #278
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 167 bbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the roughbbfoto is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by oabeieo View Post
Yep that fixed it I had a pioneer USB cable acting as an extension that just need to come out hard drive works perfect now
Great to hear.

Old 01-10-2017   #279
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 137 AAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enough

Thanks bbfoto, much appreciated.

What if it's a smaller usb key or if it starts up on the radio? Is it quicker then?
You know how long it takes to connect to bluetooth ?

I'm also considering the nx405 that has less features and a smaller screen... but I don't know if I can handle the wait time.
AAAAAAA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017   #280
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Thanks bbfoto, much appreciated.

What if it's a smaller usb key or if it starts up on the radio? Is it quicker then?
You know how long it takes to connect to bluetooth ?

I'm also considering the nx405 that has less features and a smaller screen... but I don't know if I can handle the wait time.
Starting up the NX706 with it in AM/FM Tuner mode doesn't change anything...it's 12-13 seconds to music playing via the AM/FM Tuner from a cold boot.

21 Seconds for the NX706 to connect with my Smartphone via BT from a cold start. This is with the smartphone's BT already paired to the NX706 and BT turned on before starting up the NX706...as would be the case if you always leave your phone's BT turned on and then hop in the Car and turn the HU on.

19 Seconds to start Playing Music from a cold start using an older 32GB SandDisk USB 2.0 Thumb Drive that is about 75% full with a mix of MP3 and FLAC files. This thumb drive is an older, basic model, with slow Read/Write times compared to a mid-line device that you'd get today.
Old 01-11-2017   #281
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 137 AAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enough

Thanks again.
I can't believe these things are still in the dark ages like this, with crap touch screen tech and shit resolution and ridiculous start up times. It's nuts.

I appreciate all of your data, it's become clear I wouldn't be able to live with it...
Old 01-11-2017   #282
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

SPEAKER ADDICT

12V Company:
Stereo shop in denver
Position:

Rep Power: 55 oabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enough

Yeah. The tab sure sounds pretty sweet -the lack of Cd drive .
Although your input on it is well noted and yeah it's not a 8200nex by any means as far as quality, but for a unit 1/2 the price of a 8200 that so far plays all my Hirez stuff and is digital and my swc works and I didn't have to make a dash kit out of bondo and wood I'm pretty happy with it . Yes your absolutely right, there's is a lot to be desired from a "high end" deck. But for what's available in DD it has what I need to get by and the UI is nice enough. Yeah boot times etc etc ....whatevs I guess, my music is playing before I get out of the driveway so it's not that bad.

If I'm feeling creative after I finish the rest of my system I'll definitely give a tab a 2nd look

Old 01-11-2017   #283

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 hella356 will become famous soon enoughhella356 will become famous soon enoughhella356 will become famous soon enoughhella356 will become famous soon enoughhella356 will become famous soon enoughhella356 will become famous soon enough

That all sounds better than what my stolen 4100NEX did in terms of waiting times.

bbfoto, your unorthodox method with the tablet is pretty amazing. I've considered doing something like that, but being able to use a SiriusXM tuner is one of my big needs, which unfortunately leaves me stuck with a head unit.

bbfoto or oabeieo, if you don't have the capability to test this with your own files/drive, if I sent you a drive with a massive number of audio files (would be at least 50K files, a mix of FLAC and MP3), would you be willing to test it in your unit? I don't have any interest in Pandora or similar, and SiriusXM for me is strictly for Howard Stern since the audio quality is horrendous for music, so accessing a huge variety of music is the absolute highest priority for me.
hella356 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017   #284
DIYMA 500 Club

Hungry all the time

Rep Power: 136 fcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hella356 View Post
That all sounds better than what my stolen 4100NEX did in terms of waiting times.

bbfoto, your unorthodox method with the tablet is pretty amazing. I've considered doing something like that, but being able to use a SiriusXM tuner is one of my big needs, which unfortunately leaves me stuck with a head unit.

bbfoto or oabeieo, if you don't have the capability to test this with your own files/drive, if I sent you a drive with a massive number of audio files (would be at least 50K files, a mix of FLAC and MP3), would you be willing to test it in your unit? I don't have any interest in Pandora or similar, and SiriusXM for me is strictly for Howard Stern since the audio quality is horrendous for music, so accessing a huge variety of music is the absolute highest priority for me.
There is a SiriusXM app available for Android and iPhone/iPad. Dang, even my TV has a SiriusXM app available for it. So you can use a phone or tablet as a head unit. I use my phone and I have a 200GB micro SD card full of FLAC files, that works well for me. ALSO, I have recently started to give Tidal HiFi a go and so far I am pretty impressed with the sound quality, they are streaming FLACs. There is a one month free trial going on right now for Tidal if you want to give it a go. As far as loading time goes, it is negligible as I usually open VLC or Tidal as I walk to my Car so the apps are already open when I start the car. I turn on the Car and while I put the phone in the holder my stereo is already up and running. Wait time is not an issue for me, but that is my routine.
fcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017   #285
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:

Yes, the Clarion NX706 is actually one of the faster DD units in regards to booting up from a cold start and starting various functions. The Backup/Rear View Camera takes a bit longer than some, however...not much, but a second or two.

And as mentioned by fcarpio, there is a SiriusXM app available for Android and iPhone/iPad.

As I stated, there are Pros & Cons to my Phablet setup, but after using it, it is really difficult to go back to a sluggish, feature-deficient GUI and Low-Res resistive touch display. And not having the Voice Commands was a big deal for me. The NX706 does have a Siri Eyes Free (Voice Command) hardware button on the front panel for Apple iDevices, but not Apple CarPlay. I'm using Android devices now and not an iPhone/iPad, so I couldn't test this feature. It *may* work great.

I have left my basic OEM head unit installed in my DD vehicle, and have a sturdy mount for the 8" Phablet. I always take the Tab S2 with me when I leave the vehicle, so there isn't a fancy aftermarket DD stereo for any potential thieves to see. With my photography business, I travel to all types of areas for my shoots, both good & bad, so the less eye candy for thieves to see, the better.

One other advantage is that since my Phablet "head unit" is portable, I can also easily use it in my other vehicles, so I always have "all of my music with me" no matter what vehicle I decide to drive that day.

Quote:
Sorry, I've returned my NX706 so I can't test this for you unfortunately. FYI, I tried two different USB drives with the NX706 and the NX would not read or connect to either of them. One was the Oyen Digital MiniPro 2.5" FireWire 800/USB 3.0 External Aluminum HDD/SSD Enclosure loaded with a SAMSUNG 830 Series 2.5-Inch 256GB SSD #MZ-7PC256D/AM. This Enclosure/SSD combination normally works with all of my other devices with just USB Bus Power, however it does have a USB 3.0 "Y" cable for extra power, and a separate wall-wart Power supply. I tried it all 3 ways and it was a "no go".

https://www.amazon.com/MiniPro-FireW...dp/B00684WPW8/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005T3GQ0G/

I also tried the above-listed Samsung 830 Pro 256gb SSD connected via a simple Sabrent USB 3.1 to SSD/2.5-Inch SATA Drive Adapter #EC-SS31, and the NX706 would not access or read the SSD.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017NIDXF0/

The other USB 3.0 drive was a 3.5" HDD...a Seagate #SRD0SD1 GoFlex 3TB USB 3.0 External Powered HDD with the external wall-wart Power supply connected. This HDD was loaded with about 2TB of music files on it. The NX706 would not read or access this HDD.

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Backu...l-STCA3000101/

Both drives were formatted NTFS, so maybe that is the problem?

oabeieo's 1TB drive does work, so IDK what to tell you?

Last edited by bbfoto; 01-11-2017 at 10:02 PM..
Old 01-11-2017   #286

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 hella356 will become famous soon enoughhella356 will become famous soon enoughhella356 will become famous soon enoughhella356 will become famous soon enoughhella356 will become famous soon enoughhella356 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcarpio View Post
There is a SiriusXM app available for Android and iPhone/iPad. Dang, even my TV has a SiriusXM app available for it. So you can use a phone or tablet as a head unit. I use my phone and I have a 200GB micro SD card full of FLAC files, that works well for me. ALSO, I have recently started to give Tidal HiFi a go and so far I am pretty impressed with the sound quality, they are streaming FLACs. There is a one month free trial going on right now for Tidal if you want to give it a go. As far as loading time goes, it is negligible as I usually open VLC or Tidal as I walk to my Car so the apps are already open when I start the car. I turn on the Car and while I put the phone in the holder my stereo is already up and running. Wait time is not an issue for me, but that is my routine.
Thanks for the input, fcarpio. Other than BT calling, I'm trying to avoid involving my phone with the stereo, along with any additional monthly charges, like Tidal - which I've heard really is a great service. Plus, I had over 700GB of music (mostly FLAC) via SD & 2xUSB drives in a 4100NEX, which all got stolen recently. I was on Cloud 9 having such a huge variety of music at my fingertips and I can't bear the thought of a backwards step in that regard. Even the 700GB was pared down from a bit over 2TB of my collection, and if the NX706 can support as many (hopefully WAY more) files as the NEX, I'll be sold on the Clarion.

Funny, my current "car stereo" (ugh) is a JBL Charge 2 BT Speaker in the cup holder, through which I only play SXM Howard Stern via BT from my Galaxy S7.
Old 01-11-2017   #287

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfoto View Post
Yes, the Clarion NX706 is actually one of the faster DD units in regards to booting up from a cold start and starting various functions. The Backup/Rear View Camera takes a bit longer than some, however...not much, but a second or two. And as mentioned by fcarpio, there is a SiriusXM app available for Android and iPhone/iPad.

As I stated, there are Pros & Cons to my Phablet setup, but after using it, it is really difficult to go back to a sluggish, feature-deficient GUI and Low-Res resistive touch display. And not having the Voice Commands was a big deal for me. The NX706 does have a Siri Voice Command hardware button on the front panel for Apple iDevices, but not Apple CarPlay. I'm using Android devices now and not an iPhone/iPad, so I couldn't test this feature. It *may* work great.

I have left my basic OEM head unit installed in my DD vehicle, and have a sturdy mount for the 8" Phablet. I always take the Tab S2 with me when I leave the vehicle, so there isn't a fancy aftermarket DD stereo for any potential thieves to see. With my photography business, I travel to all types of areas for my shoots, both good & bad, so the less eye candy for thieves to see, the better.

One other advantage is that since my Phablet "head unit" is portable, I can also easily use it in my other vehicles, so I always have "all of my music with me" no matter what vehicle I decide to drive that day.

Sorry, I've returned my NX706 so I can't test this for you unfortunately. FYI, I tried two different USB drives with the NX706 and the NX would not read or connect to either of them. One was the Oyen Digital MiniPro 2.5" FireWire 800/USB 3.0 External Aluminum HDD/SSD Enclosure loaded with a SAMSUNG 830 Series 2.5-Inch 256GB SSD #MZ-7PC256D/AM. This Enclosure/SSD combination normally works with all of my other devices with just USB Bus Power, however it does have a USB 3.0 "Y" cable for extra power, and a separate wall-wart Power supply. I tried it all 3 ways and it was a "no go".

https://www.amazon.com/MiniPro-FireW...dp/B00684WPW8/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005T3GQ0G/

I also tried that Samsung 830 Pro 256gb SSD connected via a simple Sabrent USB 3.1 to SSD/2.5-Inch SATA Drive Adapter #EC-SS31, and the NX706 would not access or read the SSD.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017NIDXF0/

The other was a Seagate #SRD0SD1 GoFlex 3TB USB 3.0 External Powered HDD with the external Power supply connected, and loaded with about 2TB of music files on it.

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Backu...l-STCA3000101/

Both drives were formatted NTFS, so maybe that is the problem?

oabeieo's 1TB drive does work, so IDK what to tell you?
Really appreciate your many detailed responses, bbfoto. I know the NEX models work much better with FAT32, so maybe the Clarion is the same. If there was a DD unit that also had the great features of your tablet, THAT would be a no-brainer. Makes me wish I had the time/resources/know-how to design and market a true high-end DD unit. The NX706 is looking like the closest thing to that for my purposes, but there's no way to check the thing out without buying one. oabeieo is working fine with a huge USB drive, but he only has around 1-2K files on it. I had over 30K hooked up to my Pioneer, so I'm trying to ascertain whether the Clarion can at least match that, and hopefully access 100K+ files. Since replacing my 10+ year old Eclipse nav unit with the Pioneer, I've come to realize having such a massive choice of music is my #1 priority, and if I can have that with digital out, even sweeter!
Old 01-11-2017   #288
DIYMA 500 Club

DRKNESS

Rep Power: 125 Coppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of light

Well my NX706 will be coming out. I liked what it had to offer, but the deal breaker for me is that FAN. Even when you have the volume on zero, the fan is still moving and it to those who have heard it, its loud. I've had all kinds of suggestions as to what to do, but honestly I shouldn't have to. I didn't mind the fact that it protrudes more then my other radios. Nor the fact that the on button takes soooo long. The deal breaker for me is my truck is quiet when at idle, so why can't my radio ? Looks like I'll be doing a 4200NEX and using my gps for my nav.

(2.5GT) Limited Legacy / Alpine INA-W910 / Alpine PXA-H800 / Alpine C800 / Sinfoni T25T / Sinfoni T65W / Brax X2400.2 / Brax X2000.2 / JL Audio 12TW3-D4

For sale NIB / Sinfoni Tempo 10 / Sinfoni T65W / Rear view camera....
Coppertone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017   #289

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppertone View Post
Well my NX706 will be coming out. I liked what it had to offer, but the deal breaker for me is that FAN. Even when you have the volume on zero, the fan is still moving and it to those who have heard it, its loud. I've had all kinds of suggestions as to what to do, but honestly I shouldn't have to. I didn't mind the fact that it protrudes more then my other radios. Nor the fact that the on button takes soooo long. The deal breaker for me is my truck is quiet when at idle, so why can't my radio ? Looks like I'll be doing a 4200NEX and using my gps for my nav.
Ooh, that's troubling. I wonder if that's an issue with your particular unit or if they all are that way? I suppose the fan could be replace by a quieter one, but I agree we shouldn't have to modify a new device like that.
Old 01-11-2017   #290
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Really appreciate your many detailed responses, bbfoto. I know the NEX models work much better with FAT32, so maybe the Clarion is the same. If there was a DD unit that also had the great features of your tablet, THAT would be a no-brainer. Makes me wish I had the time/resources/know-how to design and market a true high-end DD unit. The NX706 is looking like the closest thing to that for my purposes, but there's no way to check the thing out without buying one. oabeieo is working fine with a huge USB drive, but he only has around 1-2K files on it. I had over 30K hooked up to my Pioneer, so I'm trying to ascertain whether the Clarion can at least match that, and hopefully access 100K+ files. Since replacing my 10+ year old Eclipse nav unit with the Pioneer, I've come to realize having such a massive choice of music is my #1 priority, and if I can have that with digital out, even sweeter!
No worries. I think that my SanDisk USB 2.0 Thumbdrive and Lexar Pro USB 3.0 SD card reader with a Lexar Pro 256gb 1000x SDXC memory card were both formatted in either FAT32 or eXFAT, and both of those worked fine.

I'm sure that the NX706 will handle what it claims in the manual regarding File/Folder/Size compatibility. The Big Problem will be how you Search or Access all of those Thousands of files! This is where the "Genre" or "Playlist" functionality really saves the day for me. The NX doesn't support either.

The NX706 only displays 6 files at a time on the USB playback screen. That list displays the Actual File Names, not info from your ID3 Tags. You press the Up/Down Arrows to jump to the next page of 6 files. I couldn't reliably "swipe" with my index finger on the touchscreen through the file list to select between just 280 files on my Thumb Drive without the list freezing and/or the unit accidentally selecting & start playing one of the files while I was just trying to swipe through the list.

There is a "Search" function where you type in the Title or Keyword using an on-screen keyboard. HOWEVER, when you search this way, it will NOT find the song title or file by keyword unless you are already in the Exact Folder that contains the file you are searching for! IOW, if you try to Search for a File or Song Title from your Root Music Folder of the USB storage, it Will Not show any results! I even tried searching for the Exact Names of several of my Sub-Folders that are in my Root Music Folder, and it did not find any of them! Major Fail!

Instead, the failed search says, "Not exist" at the top of the screen, LOL.

So I'm not sure of another way to easily scan or search through that many files. And if you read my long posts/review a few pages back, the Remote Control doesn't really make it much easier or faster to scroll through your files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppertone View Post
Sorry to hear that, Ben. Yeah, that was another issue that I had with my NX706 as well. That fan is loud and it runs almost constantly, even when you disable the internal amplifier.

Last edited by bbfoto; 01-11-2017 at 10:57 PM..
Old 01-11-2017   #291

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
No worries. I think that the SanDisk USB 2.0 Thumbdrive and Lexar Pro USB 3.0 SD card reader with a Lexar Pro 256gb 1000x SDXC memory card were both formatted in either FAT32 or eXFAT, and both of those worked fine.

I'm sure that the NX706 will handle what it claims in the manual regarding File/Folder/Size compatibility. The Big Problem will be how you Search or Access all of those Thousands of files! This is where the "Genre" or "Playlist" functionality really saves the day for me. The NX doesn't support either.

The NX706 only displays 6 files at a time on the USB playback screen. That list only displays the actual File Names, not info from your ID3 Tags. You press the Up/Down Arrows to jump to the next page of 6 files. I couldn't reliably "swipe" with my index finger on the touchscreen through the file list to select between just 280 files on my Thumb Drive without the list freezing and/or the unit accidentally selecting & start playing one of the files while I was just trying to swipe through the list.

There is a "Search" function where you type in the Title or Keyword using an on-screen keyboard. HOWEVER, when you search this way, it will NOT find the song title or file by keyword unless you are already in the Exact Folder that contains the file you are searching for! IOW, if you try to Search for a File or Song Title from your Root Music Folder of the USB storage, it Will Not show any results! I even tried searching for the Exact Names of several of my Sub-Folders that are in my Root Music Folder, and it did not find any of them! Major Fail!

Instead, the failed search says, "Not exist" at the top of the screen, LOL.

So I'm not sure of another way to easily scan or search through that many files.
My goodness, it seems none of the major manufacturers could really nail a touchscreen HU in 2016 and it's looking unlikely this year, too. This is loaded with Major Fail! The lagging during scrolling gives me pause, although the NEX was hardly good in this respect.

The potential saving grace for me is that I have spent many, many hours going through all my files and carefully naming them and the folders they reside in, along with their tagging - although it appears the tags would be worthless with the Clarion. I have all my music in folders by artist name, a folder for each album, and strictly browse via folder browser. I pretty much always listen to entire albums and never once did a genre or any other type of search on the Pioneer and was perfectly fine with that. I'm probably in a small minority in my habits, but this bothers me even though it probably wouldn't affect me.

Who the hell designs these GUIs? One big appeal to the Chinese Android units is that several of them are rootable, allowing for extensive interface customization and choice of music players/video players/navigation, etc. from what I've read. This speaks to your experiences with your tablet, which undoubtedly is WAY more user-friendly than the NX. Unfortunately, those Android head units are not at all geared towards Car audio enthusiasts and don't support SiriusXM, but many do have higher resolution (commonly 1024x600) capacitive screens and are a lot more versatile. Nothing is easy when it comes to zeroing in on the best HU/HU alternative!
Old 01-12-2017   #292
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Just for reference, here is a Link to Sonic Electronix photos for the NX706. This will show you all of the Screens for the different Modes, as well as a NAV screen, and all of the Settings screens.

Picture 1 of 37 for Clarion NX706 Hi-Res Digital Sound Stereo

You can Download the User Manual here:

https://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/Im...0/020NX706.PDF

Last edited by bbfoto; 01-12-2017 at 03:55 AM..
Old 01-12-2017   #293
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
The lagging during scrolling gives me pause, although the NEX was hardly good in this respect.

The potential saving grace for me is that I have spent many, many hours going through all my files and carefully naming them and the folders they reside in, along with their tagging - although it appears the tags would be worthless with the Clarion. I have all my music in folders by artist name, a folder for each album, and strictly browse via folder browser. I pretty much always listen to entire albums and never once did a genre or any other type of search on the Pioneer and was perfectly fine with that. I'm probably in a small minority in my habits, but this bothers me even though it probably wouldn't affect me.
I have also been very particular about properly Naming my Files, and organizing them in Folders by Artist, then Album, and making sure all of the ID3 Tags are in place. Your tagging regimen wouldn't be completely worthless with the Clarion.

Just to be clear, with the NX706 you can view or browse the contents of your USB Drive by Folders, and if your individual files are all properly tagged, you can sort/browse by Artist, Album, and Song Title. So if you just like to sort, view, and select by Album name, you can do that.

But as I mentioned previously, it just didn't work well for *me* when I tried to swipe through them quickly to find one file or folder out of a long list, or to get from the "A's" to the "J's" quickly, etc.

And "Paging Up or Down" with the Up/Down arrows by groups of 6 just didn't cut it for me when I have Thousands to go through. The way that the remote worked wasn't that much better.

The Search function didn't allow me to find ANY Folder at ANY Level in the hierarchy or directory structure. You would think that you could just type "R" in the search to jump to all folders (and/or files) that start with the letter "R". But that didn't work for me. I could only search for Files, but they would only show up if I had manually navigated to the exact Folder that the file was in. :-/

And I didn't find any other way to scroll quickly through any of the lists or "jump to" a group of files or folders Alphabetically.

I couldn't test it, but I would guess that the Siri Voice Command would only search through and/or play the music files on your iDevice, and would not work with a generic USB storage device.

I guess that this is the dilemma that we face in this day and age of having/wanting a giant library of music files that we want access to instantaneously.

I've also thought about trying to develop a "High-End" DD Android head unit with all of the features that we want, and possibly fund it through Kickstarter or Indiegogo, etc. But I know that it would take A LOT more of my time and resources than I have available at the moment.

I honestly think that Andy Whemeyer at Audiofrog would be the ideal person to tackle this! Hint, hint, Andy!

Last edited by bbfoto; 01-12-2017 at 04:05 AM..
Old 01-12-2017   #294
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Who the hell designs these GUIs? One big appeal to the Chinese Android units is that several of them are rootable, allowing for extensive interface customization and choice of music players/video players/navigation, etc. from what I've read. This speaks to your experiences with your tablet, which undoubtedly is WAY more user-friendly than the NX. Unfortunately, those Android head units are not at all geared towards Car audio enthusiasts and don't support SiriusXM, but many do have higher resolution (commonly 1024x600) capacitive screens and are a lot more versatile. Nothing is easy when it comes to zeroing in on the best HU/HU alternative!
This is basically what I just did. Not only that but these Chinese no names brands have figured out what the established brands haven't

1:Integration!
-These things plug right into factory wiring and maintain steering wheel control and all that stuff.
-They also LOOK stock where they fill up the entire console whole instead of having some big cheep ass plastic trim.

2-Price
Oviously this being from China

3-Desirable features
-quad core 1gb ram
-capacitive multi touch screen with a bit better resolution
-GPS is always included..and likely can use google maps with the best traffic data and routing(when connected to internet)
-android that can run a bunch of apps, all the apps
-wifi connections\3g dongles
-SPDIF

4-Quick Power on
-yeah one of the biggest things missing in mainstream line ups. Why are these things so damn slow when OEM is instant. Why would anyone want one of these overprices slow crappy decks?

Of course this Chinese no name do it all might be a piece of crap in terms of reliability... I guess I'll find out.
Old 01-12-2017   #295
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

^ Cool. What particular unit did you find with SPDIF output, and does the SPDIF output pass the signal for ALL of the sources?
Old 01-12-2017   #296
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
^ Cool. What particular unit did you find with SPDIF output, and does the SPDIF output pass the signal for ALL of the sources?
I looked at a bunch, I recall a few had it but it's only for my vehicule make. You'd have to search for your make and have a look. The one I chose had specific details about sound playing within 2 seconds and back u camera within 3 haha. I can't recall the one I found with SPDIF and have no details about how it might work.
Old 01-15-2017   #297
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

SPEAKER ADDICT

12V Company:
Stereo shop in denver
Position:

I can see you he screen just fine with polarized sunglasses on

Don't remember who asked

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #298
DIYMA 500 Club

DRKNESS

Rep Power: 125 Coppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of light

This isn't a thread bashing the NX706, but I'm taking mine out. It seems once a week when I go and start my truck, the radio has lost everything that I've stored in it. No presets, no home on navi, just turns on to static on my radio. All connnections have been checked and a reset has been done, all to no avail. So this radio will go back to where it came from, and another 4100NEX will replace it.

(2.5GT) Limited Legacy / Alpine INA-W910 / Alpine PXA-H800 / Alpine C800 / Sinfoni T25T / Sinfoni T65W / Brax X2400.2 / Brax X2000.2 / JL Audio 12TW3-D4

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #299
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Thanks for the information, Ben. That's a bummer...and strange, because my NX706 AM/FM Tuner seemed to keep all of the Radio Presets even when I disconnected Power completely. I was using a bench-top 12V Power supply. I actually tried to find a way to clear the Presets before I returned my unit, but even a Reset with the front panel button or via the settings menu, and/or removing power completely didn't clear the Tuner Presets.

This HU has so much potential, but just too many things ended up in my personal "Cons" list to keep it. Others may be fine with the things that I don't like about it and that's cool.

Besides functionality, my main gripe was with the "Fisher-Price" GUI and color scheme, LOL.

I just don't get why or how in this day and age of modern technology these Car audio DD manufacturer's can't "get it right" feature-wise, functionality-wise, quality-wise, and GUI-wise.

Don't get me wrong because a select few of the Alpine and Pioneer units come very close to perfection for me, but then I compare them against my 8" Phablet and I'm disappointed overall.

We all know that if a manufacturer actually "nailed it" with one of these units that they would sell like hotcakes as long as they had a semi-reasonable price, even to the general Car audio enthusiast population, because rave reviews on Amazon and SonicElectronix would persuade a lot of people to buy them.

I would say $800-$1400 should be the most you should need to pay for a full featured unit. I mean, you can buy a very nice Intel Core-i7/SSD Laptop with a 12"-15" 1080p or Retina-level Capacitive Touchscreen for that kind of money, and I can't see the B.O.M. on DD head units being anywhere near what a laptop is.

All they really need to do is basically copy an Apple iPad Mini Retina, or 7"-8" Android Tablet, and:

- add a few more front panel hardware buttons for "key functions" such as Power/Source, Mute, and Voice Commands.
- add a front panel Volume dual-action Knob (Volume & Subwoofer Level) and/or wireless "Rotary Command Dial" like Sony's RM-X90
- Apple CarPlay & Android Auto with Siri Hands Free & Google Now Voice Commands.
- add an AM/FM HD Tuner with antenna connection.
- Apt-X Bluetooth Audio Streaming or WiFi Streaming
- USB 3.0 inputs, 1 Front, 1 Rear, or maybe USB Type-C at this point.
- SDXC memory card slot in front panel.
- Digital File Playback support for up to 24/192 ALAC, WAV, FLAC, AAC, and MP3.
- add universal SWC capability (maybe an Add-On snap-in module?)
- add Analog 4v-5v pre-outs.
- Digital Output (Toslink & Coaxial) option via a small modular Add-On adapter ~$50.
- Make one version with a CD/DVD/BluRay mech. & HDMI out
- Modular Add-On 4-Channel "Built-In" amplifier for the folks who want to keep it simple.
- iDataLink Maestro connectivity for OEM integration features. again via a standard but optional plug-in module.
- EDIT: Oh I forgot iPod Classic/Video 5th-7th Gen device support for me and ErinH!

Done. Take My Money!

The main hindrance for the manufacturers when trying to implement a "Fully Featured" Smartphone or Tablet-like GUI is the Legal Restrictions that are placed on these types of devices while driving, especially concerning Video...you know, the lovely Pop-Up Warning & Disclaimer Screens...that drives me bonkers. Let me opt out once and be done!

Maybe they can incorporate the GPS to detect if the car is moving to restrict video, etc? And that's where a solid Voice-Command system combined with universal SWC compatibility would make the most sense. Program a SW button to long-press to initiate a voice command if you can't just say "Ok Google" or "Hey Siri".

Anyway

Last edited by bbfoto; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:58 AM..
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #300
DIYMA 500 Club

DRKNESS

Well written sir, well written.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement