The Clarion NX706 is out! - Page 2 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2016   #26

Bikinpunk

Rep Power: 25981 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

Default Re: The Clarion NX706 is out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinH View Post
I've been tempted to order one a couple times but I'm not sure of Sonic's return policy. I know what it says; I don't know how that works in real life when you actually try to send something back. I've dealt with Crutchfield for a long time and never had an issue returning with them. So I'm more apt to wait for CF to get it in stock before I risk $1k.
Quote:
Well, I pulled the trigger on one. I'll document my findings in a review on my site. I'm hoping it's nice but I have a sinking feeling it will go back.
I ordered this from sonic yesterday at the cut-off time that would permit it being delivered today; that time was about 1000 cst. I didn't receive an email notification on shipment yesterday so I went to the site, logged in and pulled up my order status around 1700 cst. It was showing as pending due to "information verification", which is there address confirmation stuff... or something of the sort. This meant obviously it wouldn't be shipped in time to get here at the time stated when I ordered it. No email or call from them to even let me know about this; lucky for me I checked on the order myself. That's the second time I've had them do this to me.

Around the same time I got an email from Crutchfield saying they had it in stock as well. So, I called up sonic and canceled the order. The order from Crutchfield shows delivery today. Once I have time to go through the features and all that and test it out, I'll write up a little review or (probably) just do a video of a walkthrough.

-- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
http://medleysmusings.com/

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html

My 2006 Honda Civic LX Sedan Build Log
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2016   #27

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 96 firebirdude will become famous soon enoughfirebirdude will become famous soon enoughfirebirdude will become famous soon enoughfirebirdude will become famous soon enoughfirebirdude will become famous soon enoughfirebirdude will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babs View Post
Thing that bugs me though is when originally seeing this head unit in press releases, the msrp's being reported were less.. I've seen $799 etc.. Now they show up at a cool g-note. Just being a cheap-skate, but still I was salivating at $799 down near 4100NEX territory.
That would bug me too. It's not you being a cheap skate. It makes me wonder if they did that on purpose to gain some initial release attention. So all these cool features and a solid price point.... then make the actual price $200 more upon release.

Quote:
It was showing as pending due to "information verification", which is there address confirmation stuff... or something of the sort. No email or call from them to even let me know about this; lucky for me I checked on the order myself. That's the second time I've had them do this to me.
I've also had this happen to me. Like you, no call, email or anything from them. I called and the rep removed the verification/hold over the phone and my product was shipped late. Aggravating for sure.
firebirdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2016   #28
DIYMA 500 Club

Scott

Rep Power: 178 Babs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I ordered this from sonic yesterday at the cut-off time that would permit it being delivered today; that time was about 1000 cst. I didn't receive an email notification on shipment yesterday so I went to the site, logged in and pulled up my order status around 1700 cst. It was showing as pending due to "information verification", which is there address confirmation stuff... or something of the sort. This meant obviously it wouldn't be shipped in time to get here at the time stated when I ordered it. No email or call from them to even let me know about this; lucky for me I checked on the order myself. That's the second time I've had them do this to me.

Around the same time I got an email from Crutchfield saying they had it in stock as well. So, I called up sonic and canceled the order. The order from Crutchfield shows delivery today. Once I have time to go through the features and all that and test it out, I'll write up a little review or (probably) just do a video of a walkthrough.

Oops. Yeah I shoulda mentioned that. That's all my fault 100%. I ran into that when I made a first order or two. They do have some BS when you do a first order or if you've not ordered from them in a long time. Again sorry about that. I shoulda thought of it. My bad entirely.

Sent from iPhone using Tapatalk

2008 Civic Si Sedan - Sony RSX-GS9, Helix DSP Pro-2 & Director, JL Audio XD1000/5v2 (2), Audiofrog GB10 & GB25, Stereo Integrity TM65, Acoustic Elegance SBP12 (2)
Build Log
Babs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016   #29

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 23 Chief Wiggum will become famous soon enoughChief Wiggum will become famous soon enoughChief Wiggum will become famous soon enoughChief Wiggum will become famous soon enoughChief Wiggum will become famous soon enoughChief Wiggum will become famous soon enough

Here is the audio set-up menu from a NX706 that was on a display board. You can go into the settings menu and select between analog and digital output, plus the bit rate. Additionally, you can turn off the built-in amplifier by activating the amp canceller feature.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NX706 menu.pdf (435.5 KB, 76 views)
Chief Wiggum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2016   #30
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Rep Power: 210 SkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to all

Quote:

well at least you have it now. i have noticed though, that sonic isnt nearly as good as everyone praises. 4 out my my 5 last orders were all screwed up and they didnt really do much to help. even didnt give me a refund on the next day air shipping since i needed that item (which they didnt even send) that next day. theyre going downhill it seems

SkizeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2016   #31
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 312 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute

I'm interested to see what the impressions are of you early adopters. In terms of features and the originally quoted MSRP that Babs eluded to, I was pretty excited about this head unit. Interacting with the pre-production unit at CES turned into a complete let down. I've already got a piece of garbage Rosen in my wife's car. I'm not about to pay $1000 for another piece of garbage to replace it.

Hopefully the production units fixed the issues I experienced and we'll see some glowing reviews. A drop in street prices more along the lines of the initial information that Clarion put out wouldn't be so bad either.

Pioneer DEH-80PRS | Mosconi 6to8 V8 | Arc KS900.6 | Arc KS600.2 | Illusion TL 25 BN | Illusion C5 | Arc Black 12
2015 MECA SQL Street California State Champion
Sonic Electronix Discount Code: hutsell
rton20s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2016   #32
DIYMA 500 Club

Scott

Rep Power: 178 Babs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rton20s View Post
I'm interested to see what the impressions are of you early adopters. In terms of features and the originally quoted MSRP that Babs eluded to, I was pretty excited about this head unit. Interacting with the pre-production unit at CES turned into a complete let down. I've already got a piece of garbage Rosen in my wife's car. I'm not about to pay $1000 for another piece of garbage to replace it.

Hopefully the production units fixed the issues I experienced and we'll see some glowing reviews. A drop in street prices more along the lines of the initial information that Clarion put out wouldn't be so bad either.

I'm hopeful the most of that was addressed as firmware related dialing in the interface.

2008 Civic Si Sedan - Sony RSX-GS9, Helix DSP Pro-2 & Director, JL Audio XD1000/5v2 (2), Audiofrog GB10 & GB25, Stereo Integrity TM65, Acoustic Elegance SBP12 (2)
Build Log
Old 02-11-2016   #33
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 312 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm hopeful the most of that was addressed as firmware related dialing in the interface.

Same here. Will firmware fix the cost as well?

Pioneer DEH-80PRS | Mosconi 6to8 V8 | Arc KS900.6 | Arc KS600.2 | Illusion TL 25 BN | Illusion C5 | Arc Black 12
Old 02-11-2016   #34
DIYMA 500 Club

Scott

Quote:
Same here. Will firmware fix the cost as well?
Nope.. Only the free market can do that. Takes longer too.

Build Log
Old 02-11-2016   #35
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 158 Mic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Wiggum View Post
Here is the audio set-up menu from a NX706 that was on a display board. You can go into the settings menu and select between analog and digital output, plus the bit rate. Additionally, you can turn off the built-in amplifier by activating the amp canceller feature.
there is a menu in that pdf of pics that shows HVA controls...How is it doing that? I see nothing in the manual about it

2010 MECA Extreme World champion,
2005 IASCA World Champion Pro 600+
2010 MECA Mike Baylor Sportsmanship Award
2011 MECA SQL Spirit Award
2012 MECA SQL Judge of The Year
2012 IASCA FINALS SQ/INSTALL Judge
2012 USACi Japan Finals Judge
2013 IASCA FINALS IQC Install Judge
Mic10is is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2016   #36

Bikinpunk

Rep Power: 25981 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I put this on 'the bench' last night and played with it for about an hour. The short story is: it will definitely not be staying. It's going back asap.

Unfortunately it seems the issues you experienced were not fixed. The GUI is sluggish. My alpine 957 is better and seems more responsive. The UI itself is not at all to my liking.

The iPod video/classic is not supported, even though the box and manual both show the ipod classic in the apple "made for iPod" branding (here, page 4). To be fair, the website only mentions use of the touch/phone and never specifically mentions the ipod classic. Still, it seems misleading. That said, I knew of this going in to it (if you read the CES thread you can see it discussed there). I was hopeful maybe a last minute update would have remedied that.

The variable optical output works. My concern is bit depth when used for volume control. If the digital volume controller is 24-bit then there's definitely cause for concern regarding problems at lower volumes where the SNR would be worst (see this link here for discussion on analog vs digital volume controllers). If the DVC is 32-bit then it's likely a moot issue... I couldn't imagine they'd be using a 16-bit DVC and I imagine if a 32-bit controller was used it would be mentioned in the literature/marketing so I assume 24-bit is what is used. Of course, I don't have the service manual so I can't be sure. I had planned to test this but had trouble with my soundcard reading the digital signal from the headunit with the test signal so that was a bust. I haven't listened to this unit yet using the optical out but plan to this weekend to see if there's any obvious degradation in sound quality. I would surely think not, but then again, this feature may have been built with the whole Clarion Digital System in mind as opposed to headunit-only operation.

I bought this with intentions on using it for the optical over all sources feature (not so much the variable volume; I'll be doing volume control elsewhere) and the fact that it had two usb source inputs. But, since it doesn't read iPod classics, it's hard for me to ignore the GUI/UI shortcomings. I personally would recommend buying the Alpine 957 unless you have a dire need for 2 USB inputs and variable DVC (which, again, may or may not be a bad thing, depending on implementation) and you need FLAC support. The alpine costs more but I think it says it all when I decided within 10 minutes the Clarion was going back.

Follow my blog:

Time Delay Calculator:

Last edited by ErinH; 02-11-2016 at 01:21 PM..
Old 02-11-2016   #37
DIYMA 500 Club

Hungry all the time

Rep Power: 141 fcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Nope.. Only the free market can do that. Takes longer too.
Yeah, the competition from Alpine looks better IMHO and can be had for $50 less. The drawback is that if you want to got optical you have to get that retarded Alpine proprietary optical cable at a whopping $130.
fcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2016   #38
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Quote:
I put this on 'the bench' last night and played with it for about an hour. The short story is: it will definitely not be staying. It's going back asap.

Unfortunately it seems the issues you experienced were not fixed. The GUI is sluggish. My alpine 957 is better and seems more responsive. The UI itself is not at all to my liking.
That is enough for me.

Old 02-11-2016   #39
DIYMA 500 Club

Scott

Also if the 967 is a replacement for the 957 then better hurry on that. I think the 967 loses the toslink output.

Build Log
Old 02-11-2016   #40
DIYMA 500 Club

Scott

That just stinks though. Had high hopes for the Clarion.

Build Log
Old 02-11-2016   #41

Bikinpunk

Quote:
Also if the 967 is a replacement for the 957 then better hurry on that. I think the 967 loses the toslink output.

I wouldn't consider the 967 a replacement. No cd mech and no digital output.

Follow my blog:

Time Delay Calculator:

Old 02-11-2016   #42

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
240/480 volt industry
Position:
commercial electrician

Rep Power: 31 Martin1430 will become famous soon enoughMartin1430 will become famous soon enoughMartin1430 will become famous soon enoughMartin1430 will become famous soon enoughMartin1430 will become famous soon enoughMartin1430 will become famous soon enough

Quote:

The iPod video/classic is not supported, even though the box and manual both show the ipod classic in the apple "made for iPod" branding (here, page 4). To be fair, the website only mentions use of the touch/phone and never specifically mentions the ipod classic. Still, it seems misleading. That said, I knew of this going in to it (if you read the CES thread you can see it discussed there). I was hopeful maybe a last minute update would have remedied that

The variable optical output works. My concern is bit depth when used for volume control. If the digital volume controller is 24-bit then there's definitely cause for concern regarding problems at lower volumes where the SNR would be worst (see this link here for discussion on analog vs digital volume controllers). If the DVC is 32-bit then it's likely a moot issue... I couldn't imagine they'd be using a 16-bit DVC and I imagine if a 32-bit controller was used it would be mentioned in the literature/marketing so I assume 24-bit is what is used. Of course, I don't have the service manual so I can't be sure. I had planned to test this but had trouble with my soundcard reading the digital signal from the headunit with the test signal so that was a bust. I haven't listened to this unit yet using the optical out but plan to this weekend to see if there's any obvious degradation in sound quality. I would surely think not, but then again, this feature may have been built with the whole Clarion Digital System in mind as opposed to headunit-only operation.

I bought this with intentions on using it for the optical over all sources feature (not so much the variable volume; I'll be doing volume control elsewhere) and the fact that it had two usb source inputs. But, since it doesn't read iPod classics, it's hard for me to ignore the GUI/UI shortcomings. I personally would recommend buying the Alpine 957 unless you have a dire need for 2 USB inputs and variable DVC (which, again, may or may not be a bad thing, depending on implementation) and you need FLAC support. The alpine costs more but I think it says it all when I decided within 10 minutes the Clarion was going back.
Erin, for which sources does the alpine not use the optical out?

Alpine 149BT, Helix DSP Pro, Alpine PDX V9, Alpine MRV 307, JL Audio ZR650, Scan Speak D3006, Stereo Integrity BM MKIV
Martin1430 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2016   #43
DIYMA 500 Club

"Count the heads"

12V Company:
Musicar Northwest
Position:
Zaphod Beeblebrox

Rep Power: 114 VP Electricity will become famous soon enoughVP Electricity will become famous soon enoughVP Electricity will become famous soon enoughVP Electricity will become famous soon enoughVP Electricity will become famous soon enoughVP Electricity will become famous soon enough

There is a lot of inclination nowadays to "be like Google". Which basically means that you ship with bugs and update later. I am not in agreement with this approach, but it is something that, in today's world, seems common for companies to convince themselves is fine.

The 957 Toslink is pretty useless as a navi and BT receiver, unless you use the H800. And the 957 doesn't do FLAC, does it?<Never mind, I re-read Erin's post>

Last edited by VP Electricity; 02-11-2016 at 04:09 PM..
VP Electricity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2016   #44
DIYMA 500 Club

DRKNESS

Rep Power: 128 Coppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of light

I have the H800 and the C800 plus the toslink cable, just trying to find the best price for that 957HD.

(2.5GT) Limited Legacy / Alpine INA-W910 /Audison APK-165....

Selling Sinfoni nib speakers ......
Coppertone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2016   #45
DIYMA 500 Club

"Count the heads"

12V Company:
Musicar Northwest
Position:
Zaphod Beeblebrox

Rep Power: 114 VP Electricity will become famous soon enoughVP Electricity will become famous soon enoughVP Electricity will become famous soon enoughVP Electricity will become famous soon enoughVP Electricity will become famous soon enoughVP Electricity will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin1430 View Post
Erin, for which sources does the alpine not use the optical out?
Handsfree and nav prompts.
VP Electricity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2016   #46

Bikinpunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
Correct.

Neither bother me because I use google maps on my phone and I don't use BT calling.

To be clear, BT audio works fine through the optical out. It's just phone calls that isn't supported.

Follow my blog:

Time Delay Calculator:

Old 02-11-2016   #47

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
240/480 volt industry
Position:
commercial electrician

Rep Power: 31 Martin1430 will become famous soon enoughMartin1430 will become famous soon enoughMartin1430 will become famous soon enoughMartin1430 will become famous soon enoughMartin1430 will become famous soon enoughMartin1430 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Correct.

Neither bother me because I use google maps on my phone and I don't use BT calling.

To be clear, BT audio works fine through the optical out. It's just phone calls that isn't supported.
Forgive me if this is a dumb question, when a call comes in will it swap over and send the signal out of RCA's until the call is over?
Martin1430 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2016   #48

Bikinpunk

I assume. I don't use BT calling so I can't say for sure.

Follow my blog:

Time Delay Calculator:

Old 02-12-2016   #49
DIYMA 500 Club

Hungry all the time

Rep Power: 141 fcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Is not. They are sibling units. With the 957 being the one with optical out. Different target market I guess.
Old 02-12-2016   #50
DIYMA 500 Club

Hungry all the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
According to the manual when you switch to optical the volume control is disabled. If this is the case I would assume that ALL audio goes out optical, like a CarPC. Otherwise you loos everything else.

Am I correct in my assumption?

EDIT: Never mind, I just read Erin's post above. That sucks as I do use BT for phone calls and the navi audio would be nice. According to the folks at E3IO ALL audio comes out the toslink. I think I just made up my mind, I am going with E3IO. Out of all their models they recommended me the 4 gen Pro.

http://e3io.com/2din-car-pc-gen4-pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement