The Clarion NX706 is out! - Page 3 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2016   #51
DIYMA 500 Club

Hungry all the time

Rep Power: 141 fcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enough

Default Re: The Clarion NX706 is out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babs View Post
That just stinks though. Had high hopes for the Clarion.

Sent from iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, I am bombed out with the price hike as well. So now back to Alpine or e3io. Tough choice as both have things I don't like.
fcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2016   #52
DIYMA 500 Club

Hungry all the time

Rep Power: 141 fcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppertone View Post
I have the H800 and the C800 plus the toslink cable, just trying to find the best price for that 957HD.
So far eBay has them at around $950 new. Please post if you can find them cheaper.
Old 02-12-2016   #53

Bikinpunk

Rep Power: 25981 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcarpio View Post
According to the manual when you switch to optical the volume control is disabled. If this is the case I would assume that ALL audio goes out optical, like a CarPC. Otherwise you loos everything else.

Am I correct in my assumption?

EDIT: Never mind, I just read Erin's post above. That sucks as I do use BT for phone calls and the navi audio would be nice. According to the folks at E3IO ALL audio comes out the toslink. I think I just made up my mind, I am going with E3IO. Out of all their models they recommended me the 4 gen Pro.

2Din Carputer GEN4 PRO | Car Computer | Custom Gaming Computers
I've played with the e3io. I didn't like it at all. Besides the UI and clunky feel of the unit, the fan (at least on the model loaned to me) was very loud and would have driven me nuts in my car.

Edit: The one loaned to me was a $1600 unit that was pretty much the top of the line about 1.5 years ago.

-- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
http://medleysmusings.com/

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html

My 2006 Honda Civic LX Sedan Build Log

Last edited by ErinH; 02-12-2016 at 07:00 AM..
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016   #54
DIYMA 500 Club

DRKNESS

Rep Power: 128 Coppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of light

Sadly that's where I was seeing them for new also ( EBay ) as soon as I sell my 4100NEX I'll add the 957HD to the Ram...

(2.5GT) Limited Legacy / Alpine INA-W910 /Audison APK-165....

Selling Sinfoni nib speakers ......
Coppertone is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2016   #55
DIYMA 500 Club

Hungry all the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinH View Post
I've played with the e3io. I didn't like it at all. Besides the UI and clunky feel of the unit, the fan (at least on the model loaned to me) was very loud and would have driven me nuts in my car.

Edit: The one loaned to me was a $1600 unit that was pretty much the top of the line about 1.5 years ago.
The fan, I totally did not think about that. There is a model that the computer itself can be installed in the trunk (kind of looks like an amp) and the screen up front. That may help with the fan noise but it is also a $150 price hike. The clunckyness, oh well. Desicions...

You settled for the Alpine? I would get the 80PRS but browsing through a hard drive full of music is painful on that unit.
Old 02-12-2016   #56

Bikinpunk

Rep Power: 25981 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't say I "settled" for the alpine. I chose it because I liked it.

Follow my blog:

Time Delay Calculator:

Old 02-12-2016   #57
DIYMA 500 Club

Scott

Rep Power: 178 Babs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the rough

Tablet dash, toslink output hardware, and helix controller. Done. That'll be my next build in the truck and maybe car.

2008 Civic Si Sedan - Sony RSX-GS9, Helix DSP Pro-2 & Director, JL Audio XD1000/5v2 (2), Audiofrog GB10 & GB25, Stereo Integrity TM65, Acoustic Elegance SBP12 (2)
Build Log
Babs is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2016   #58
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 144 WeDgE will become famous soon enoughWeDgE will become famous soon enoughWeDgE will become famous soon enoughWeDgE will become famous soon enoughWeDgE will become famous soon enoughWeDgE will become famous soon enough

Erin, would you mind posting a video of you using the NX706 GUI?

I'm curious to see how laggy it is. The Sonic Electronix video on YouTube from CES didn't seem bad at all.
WeDgE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2016   #59
DIYMA 500 Club

Scott

Rep Power: 178 Babs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeDgE View Post
Erin, would you mind posting a video of you using the NX706 GUI?

I'm curious to see how laggy it is. The Sonic Electronix video on YouTube from CES didn't seem bad at all.
Check out this poor guy..
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

And another..
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

2008 Civic Si Sedan - Sony RSX-GS9, Helix DSP Pro-2 & Director, JL Audio XD1000/5v2 (2), Audiofrog GB10 & GB25, Stereo Integrity TM65, Acoustic Elegance SBP12 (2)
Build Log
Old 02-12-2016   #60
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 144 WeDgE will become famous soon enoughWeDgE will become famous soon enoughWeDgE will become famous soon enoughWeDgE will become famous soon enoughWeDgE will become famous soon enoughWeDgE will become famous soon enough

Yep, watched both those videos numerous times, I'm just not seeing it being *that* laggy. Sure, there's a slight pause at times when you select a button on the screen...seems pretty decent to me.

At this price point, you can't expect it to be as snappy as a flagship smartphone!

Judging from this video, the W957HD seems just as "laggy":
+ YouTube Video
Old 02-12-2016   #61
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 312 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yep, watched both those videos numerous times. I'm just not seeing that it's *that* laggy. Sure, there's a slight pause at times when you select a button on the screen...seems pretty decent to me. At this price point, you can't expect it to be as snappy as a flagship smartphone!
Yes. Yes, you can. It is 2016. There is NO EXCUSE in a day and age, where high quality responsive touch screens and GUIs are ubiquitous, for a product with this kind of performance is released to the public. Especially not from a manufacturer who would like to be considered in the top tier of their industry. My first iPhone, a 3G from 7+ years ago, performed more smoothly than this flagship head unit in 2016.

I played with the NX706 at CES. It was not good. Erin has used it, and if he says it hasn't improved, I wouldn't spend a penny on this head unit.

Pioneer DEH-80PRS | Mosconi 6to8 V8 | Arc KS900.6 | Arc KS600.2 | Illusion TL 25 BN | Illusion C5 | Arc Black 12
2015 MECA SQL Street California State Champion
Sonic Electronix Discount Code: hutsell
rton20s is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2016   #62
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rton20s View Post
Yes. Yes, you can. It is 2016. There is NO EXCUSE in a day and age, where high quality responsive touch screens and GUIs are ubiquitous, for a product with this kind of performance is released to the public. Especially not from a manufacturer who would like to be considered in the top tier of their industry. My first iPhone, a 3G from 7+ years ago, performed more smoothly than this flagship head unit in 2016.

I played with the NX706 at CES. It was not good. Erin has used it, and if he says it hasn't improved, I wouldn't spend a penny on this head unit.
If that's the case, why spend a penny on the Alpine when it's just as slow as the NX706 (judging by the video I posted)?

Damn thing doesn't even output BT phone calls through optical, yet BT audio comes through... Wtf is that...
Old 02-12-2016   #63
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 312 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If that's the case, why spend a penny on the Alpine when it's just as slow as the NX706 (judging by the video I posted)?

Damn thing doesn't even output BT phone calls through optical, yet BT audio comes through... Wtf is that...
I was not advocating for the Alpine. I have never used it. I just know based on my own experience, that I would never purchase and install the Clarion NX706. At least, not until there is a price drop that accompanies a firmware upgrade to fix the shortcomings. To each their own.

Pioneer DEH-80PRS | Mosconi 6to8 V8 | Arc KS900.6 | Arc KS600.2 | Illusion TL 25 BN | Illusion C5 | Arc Black 12
2015 MECA SQL Street California State Champion
Sonic Electronix Discount Code: hutsell
rton20s is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2016   #64

Bikinpunk

I don't know what else to say beyond I don't like the UI and the response at times lags with the clarion. I have the alpine. I know it's response doesn't lag. It's a noticeable lag when I interact with the clarion, to the point it caught my attention and I wrote about it.

Bottom line is: If you want to try it for yourself to see if the interface is acceptable to you then buy it and try it. I did. I didn't like it. It's going back.

Follow my blog:

Time Delay Calculator:

Old 02-12-2016   #65
Classifieds Access
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 89 gumbeelee will become famous soon enoughgumbeelee will become famous soon enoughgumbeelee will become famous soon enoughgumbeelee will become famous soon enoughgumbeelee will become famous soon enoughgumbeelee will become famous soon enoughgumbeelee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I don't know what else to say beyond I don't like the UI and the response at times lags with the clarion. I have the alpine. I know it's response doesn't lag. It's a noticeable lag when I interact with the clarion, to the point it caught my attention and I wrote about it.

Bottom line is: If you want to try it for yourself to see if the interface is acceptable to you then buy it and try it. I did. I didn't like it. It's going back.
Thats all I need to know, I totally respect erins opinion on anything car audio. I have learned so much from his blogs!!

gumbeelee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2016   #66

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 64 thebookfreak58 will become famous soon enoughthebookfreak58 will become famous soon enoughthebookfreak58 will become famous soon enoughthebookfreak58 will become famous soon enoughthebookfreak58 will become famous soon enoughthebookfreak58 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Tablet dash, toslink output hardware, and helix controller. Done. That'll be my next build in the truck and maybe car.

Downside of that is no BT calls or reverse camera...
thebookfreak58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2016   #67
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 114 Huckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebookfreak58 View Post
Your suggesting that the NX706 does not do bluetooth calls?

Chapter 14 of the manual is called "Bluetooth Telephone Operations."

Am I missing something?

Huckleberry Sound
Huckleberry Sound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2016   #68

Bikinpunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry Sound View Post
Your suggesting that the NX706 does not do bluetooth calls?

Chapter 14 of the manual is called "Bluetooth Telephone Operations."

Am I missing something?
read what he quoted and replied to.

Follow my blog:

Time Delay Calculator:

Old 02-12-2016   #69
DIYMA 500 Club

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebookfreak58 View Post

Nah. Not a prob. My phone in my pocket rings to my pad. Reverse cam is on the mirror. Though I've wondered and will check if pulling my particular OEM radio will have anything to do with backup cam. But BT phone is no problem.

Build Log
Old 02-12-2016   #70
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 114 Huckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enough

Quote:
read what he quoted and replied to.
Opps my bad!!!

Huckleberry Sound
Huckleberry Sound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2016   #71

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 27 madcowintucson will become famous soon enoughmadcowintucson will become famous soon enoughmadcowintucson will become famous soon enoughmadcowintucson will become famous soon enoughmadcowintucson will become famous soon enoughmadcowintucson will become famous soon enough

Did someone answer this yet...is all the audio (cd,dvd,hd radio etc) sent out via the optical cable? It would be nice to keep everything didgital and I assume that's what this is all about here. One thing that's going to suck is lack of aptx support. It may recieve Bluetooth but the quality isn't the same in my experience. So if I stream audio from my phone from milk or slacker I guess I'll have to do it completely separately. As I don't even have 's music anymore the cd and dvd section is a bit useless for me. 320kbps sounds fine to me.
madcowintucson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2016   #72

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 46 Silvercoat will become famous soon enoughSilvercoat will become famous soon enoughSilvercoat will become famous soon enoughSilvercoat will become famous soon enoughSilvercoat will become famous soon enoughSilvercoat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Nah. Not a prob. My phone in my pocket rings to my pad. Reverse cam is on the mirror. Though I've wondered and will check if pulling my particular OEM radio will have anything to do with backup cam. But BT phone is no problem.

I take it you use the continuity feature with the IPAD/IPhone? How well does it work in the car and what microphone does it use?

Also I know using Wifi you could auto switch your camera into an IPAD that way. The mirror video is also a good alternative.

If it is an Adroid one I am even more interested.
Silvercoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2016   #73
DIYMA 500 Club

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvercoat View Post
I take it you use the continuity feature with the IPAD/IPhone? How well does it work in the car and what microphone does it use?

Also I know using Wifi you could auto switch your camera into an IPAD that way. The mirror video is also a good alternative.

If it is an Adroid one I am even more interested.

Haven't used it that often. Will have to report back on that.

Build Log
Old 05-01-2016   #74

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 17 Fyalinks will become famous soon enoughFyalinks will become famous soon enoughFyalinks will become famous soon enoughFyalinks will become famous soon enoughFyalinks will become famous soon enoughFyalinks will become famous soon enough

I bought and used the Clarion NX706 solely because of the optical output. I had it in my system with the Helix P SIX DSP MK2, I also have the Helix Director hooked up. I can control volume from the NX706 but I have the Helix director for all of the cool features that brings to the game such as "start-up" volume.

Sadly this head unit's only bright side is the optical output. ErinH has already spoke of the lack of iPod support, the there is a cable that says "iPod/iPhone control" but it is essentially for the "iPod" app on your iPhone. Silly me, not reading the find print first got an iPod touch after my classic didn't work, only to find out that was also incompatible. Forget about using the bluetooth on you iPod touch, when I used my iPhone over bluetooth is was okay, occasionally while driving on the highway it would intermittently lose connection the way bad FM stations would. With the iPod touch on bluetooth is was downright unacceptable, a lot of static noise, sounded like someone was scratching the surface of my speakers.

Short story, this head unit is incredibly overpriced for what it offers, GPS is below average too. So I will be replacing it with a Kenwood unit. Its back to analog for me until one of the more "feature rich" manufacturers add a digital output to one of their units.

Fyalinks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2016   #75

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 86 hiramgarza will become famous soon enoughhiramgarza will become famous soon enoughhiramgarza will become famous soon enoughhiramgarza will become famous soon enoughhiramgarza will become famous soon enoughhiramgarza will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to hiramgarza

Quote:
Correct.

Neither bother me because I use google maps on my phone and I don't use BT calling.

To be clear, BT audio works fine through the optical out. It's just phone calls that isn't supported.
Hi ErinH, currently use the 957HD unit, I use optical fiber for BT, Ipod and also to make and receive calls, I was struck by your comment that it was not possible to make calls using the unit in digital mode. I excuse my bad English I'm from Mexico.
hiramgarza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement