The Clarion NX706 is out! - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2016   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Hungry all the time

Rep Power: 135 fcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enough

Default The Clarion NX706 is out!

Seems like a sweet unit, please comment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3Z5P0lij-g

Sonix has it now, may be others have them as well.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...ion-NX706.html

Some that saw this unit at CES said it was very laggy, I don't see that in this video. It seems they have worked out the interface kinks.

fcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2016   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Hungry all the time

Rep Power: 135 fcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enough

Default Re: The Clarion NX706 is out!

This Sonix guy says the unit has fixed and variable level optical digital out? Is that right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIeS643ATQg
Old 02-06-2016   #3

Bikinpunk

Rep Power: 25973 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

Yes. That's correct. If You check the CES thread there's some discussion on it there.

I'm interested in it but there's apparently no real iPod support which is a feature important to me. Obviously not everyone. But at least to me.

-- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
http://medleysmusings.com/

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2016   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 270 Onyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond reputeOnyx1136 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcarpio View Post
This Sonix guy says the unit has fixed and variable level optical digital out? Is that right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIeS643ATQg
I'm not 100% on this, so maybe someone else can confirm, but I believe the processor that's receiving the optical signal would also have to have the ability to attenuate volume through the optical input as well. And I'm not aware of any current processor that possesses that feature. Other than, probably, the matching Clarion processor for this headunit.
Onyx1136 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2016   #5
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 140 WeDgE will become famous soon enoughWeDgE will become famous soon enoughWeDgE will become famous soon enoughWeDgE will become famous soon enoughWeDgE will become famous soon enoughWeDgE will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinH View Post
Yes. That's correct. If You check the CES thread there's some discussion on it there.

I'm interested in it but there's apparently no real iPod support which is a feature important to me. Obviously not everyone. But at least to me.

In the video, you can see a button for iPod audio as he's scrolling through the main screen. :dunno:
WeDgE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2016   #6
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 140 WeDgE will become famous soon enoughWeDgE will become famous soon enoughWeDgE will become famous soon enoughWeDgE will become famous soon enoughWeDgE will become famous soon enoughWeDgE will become famous soon enough

I'll definitely be getting this unit to replace my 80prs. Been waiting awhile for something like this!
WeDgE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2016   #7

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 72 xconcepts will become famous soon enoughxconcepts will become famous soon enoughxconcepts will become famous soon enoughxconcepts will become famous soon enoughxconcepts will become famous soon enoughxconcepts will become famous soon enough

I ran the NX702 and HATED it, I'd have to see it in person to see if I'd want to use it.
xconcepts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2016   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 85 gumbeelee will become famous soon enoughgumbeelee will become famous soon enoughgumbeelee will become famous soon enoughgumbeelee will become famous soon enoughgumbeelee will become famous soon enoughgumbeelee will become famous soon enoughgumbeelee will become famous soon enough

Quote:

It shows ipod audio in the youtube video.
gumbeelee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2016   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 219 t3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyx1136 View Post
I'm not 100% on this, so maybe someone else can confirm, but I believe the processor that's receiving the optical signal would also have to have the ability to attenuate volume through the optical input as well. And I'm not aware of any current processor that possesses that feature. Other than, probably, the matching Clarion processor for this headunit.
Naw, it's master volume in the digital domain. Same as your the volume slider on a PC media player like iTunes. It's done completely from within the application. Well in this case the head unit OS. Uses more processing Power but eliminates the cost of having to attenuate in the analog domain before the output circuitry via a digitally controlled solid state potentiometer.

t3sn4f2 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2016   #10

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 41 Silvercoat will become famous soon enoughSilvercoat will become famous soon enoughSilvercoat will become famous soon enoughSilvercoat will become famous soon enoughSilvercoat will become famous soon enoughSilvercoat will become famous soon enough

Any Android Auto or CarPlay? It does not appear to have it.
Silvercoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2016   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Scott

Rep Power: 170 Babs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvercoat View Post
Any Android Auto or CarPlay? It does not appear to have it.

Nope. This head unit's main attraction is that little toslink plug on the back. I'm hoping that will open Alpine and Pioneer Marketing folks' eyes a little bit.

Sent from iPhone using Tapatalk

2008 Civic Si Sedan - 80PRS, Helix DSP, JL Audio XD1000/5v2 (2), Audiofrog GB10 & GB25, Stereo Integrity TM65, Acoustic Elegance SBP12 (2)
Build Log
Babs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2016   #12

Bikinpunk

Rep Power: 25973 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

I've been tempted to order one a couple times but I'm not sure of Sonic's return policy. I know what it says; I don't know how that works in real life when you actually try to send something back. I've dealt with Crutchfield for a long time and never had an issue returning with them. So I'm more apt to wait for CF to get it in stock before I risk $1k.

Follow my blog:

Time Delay Calculator:
Old 02-08-2016   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

Scott

Rep Power: 170 Babs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I've been tempted to order one a couple times but I'm not sure of Sonic's return policy. I know what it says; I don't know how that works in real life when you actually try to send something back. I've dealt with Crutchfield for a long time and never had an issue returning with them. So I'm more apt to wait for CF to get it in stock before I risk $1k.
I had thought I had a bad tweet, which turned out to simply a connection issue, but with no issue whatsoever Sonic gave me an RA for them which I didn't need to use after troublshooting 'correctly'. Have never had an issue with them to give me pause. However, never exercised their 60 day money back policy. link

Would love it if you got one.. Wanna see it at the meet.

Thing that bugs me though is when originally seeing this head unit in press releases, the msrp's being reported were less.. I've seen $799 etc.. Now they show up at a cool g-note. Just being a cheap-skate, but still I was salivating at $799 down near 4100NEX territory.

2008 Civic Si Sedan - 80PRS, Helix DSP, JL Audio XD1000/5v2 (2), Audiofrog GB10 & GB25, Stereo Integrity TM65, Acoustic Elegance SBP12 (2)
Build Log

Last edited by Babs; 02-08-2016 at 10:17 AM..
Old 02-08-2016   #14

Bikinpunk

Well, I pulled the trigger on one. I'll document my findings in a review on my site. I'm hoping it's nice but I have a sinking feeling it will go back.

Follow my blog:

Time Delay Calculator:
Old 02-08-2016   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

Hungry all the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babs View Post
This head unit's main attraction is that little toslink plug on the back.
Absolutely!
Old 02-08-2016   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

Hungry all the time

Quote:
Well, I pulled the trigger on one. I'll document my findings in a review on my site. I'm hoping it's nice but I have a sinking feeling it will go back.
Post the link here when you have it please.
Old 02-08-2016   #17

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 26 BassMechanic308 will become famous soon enoughBassMechanic308 will become famous soon enoughBassMechanic308 will become famous soon enoughBassMechanic308 will become famous soon enoughBassMechanic308 will become famous soon enoughBassMechanic308 will become famous soon enough

Is it really going to be that great of a radio because of the optical out? Doesn't really look all that appealing to the eye. And a 1k price tag is starting out pretty steep.
BassMechanic308 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2016   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcarpio View Post
Post the link here when you have it please.
It's in his sig and it's a plethora of Speaker review goodness.
Link

Build Log
Old 02-08-2016   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

Scott

Quote:

Hope it's all that and a bucket of chicken.

Build Log
Old 02-08-2016   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMechanic308 View Post
Is it really going to be that great of a radio because of the optical out? Doesn't really look all that appealing to the eye. And a 1k price tag is starting out pretty steep.
That is the money question, isn't it.
Agreed and Agreed.

Build Log
Old 02-08-2016   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

Hungry all the time

Quote:
Consider all the current double din alternatives. Now it doesn't seem that bad, does it?
Old 02-08-2016   #22

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 26 BassMechanic308 will become famous soon enoughBassMechanic308 will become famous soon enoughBassMechanic308 will become famous soon enoughBassMechanic308 will become famous soon enoughBassMechanic308 will become famous soon enoughBassMechanic308 will become famous soon enough

I have to say, the hdmi is also a very nice feature to have. But what resolutions does it support. A lot of touchscreens are very picky about resolutions. Wonder if it had an internal scaler. I also wonder if it plays flac files natively as well.
BassMechanic308 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2016   #23

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 47 dgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I have to say, the hdmi is also a very nice feature to have. But what resolutions does it support. A lot of touchscreens are very picky about resolutions. Wonder if it had an internal scaler. I also wonder if it plays flac files natively as well.
Resolution isn't great. But it does play Flac according to the manual.

Screen Size (Inches) 6.95
Aspect Ratio 16:9
Display Type WVGA
Drive Principle TFT active matrix
Number of Pixels 1,152,000 pixels (800 RGB(H) × 480 (V) × 3)

Clarion U.S.A | NX706
dgage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2016   #24

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 41 Silvercoat will become famous soon enoughSilvercoat will become famous soon enoughSilvercoat will become famous soon enoughSilvercoat will become famous soon enoughSilvercoat will become famous soon enoughSilvercoat will become famous soon enough

Man if this thing had Android Auto then I would be throwing my money at it. Guess I will wait for the NX707.

I still think it will be a great headunit for the SQ inclined as the toslink is something that so many people have been waiting for. I am curious to see the testing results as well.

Thumbsup for the trial!
Silvercoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2016   #25
Classifieds Access
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 109 Huckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enough

mmmmmmmmmm

Huckleberry Sound
Huckleberry Sound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement