LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2017   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

12V Company:
L&D Automotive
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 123 LaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to LaserSVT

Default Damage caused by clipping.

Okay, couple days ago I said something stupid and I freely admit to it. I said I "blew" my SI BM MK IV subs due to pushing a small amp past its limits and it clipping. Now blow was the wrong term to use and I understand that but here is my question.
Can you or can you not hurt a speakers voice coil due to excessive clipping? You see these subs were happy with a Mosconi Zero3 pushing them. I could drive them to my hearts content and not have any issues ever. Never used all the amps available Power but used more than the subs are rated for. No issues ever.
In my next install I fed them with a 600 watt amp and I pushed that amp hard enough where many many times it went into protect mode and I know many times I sent a clipped signal to the speakers. Eventually they no longer performed properly at moderate volumes. There was no longer that high level of accuracy the subs were known for. They no longer liked to dig low as well. I tried them on a couple other amps (Sinfoni Prodigio, Mosconi Zero3, JL 1200/1) and they still did not sound right. So I believe that the clipped signal is what hurt the subs. Since then they have been replaced and now have 1200 watts available again and sound fantastic.

So in true SQ fasion I get ripped by a couple real smart fellers that I am an idiot for saying I blew the subs due to overdriving a small amp and sending an clipped signal to them.
So am I an idiot for making this assumption or is the clipped signal what hurt them? I realize "blow" was the wrong term to use and should have said "damaged" but usually people understand "blow" as just a plain hurt.

LaserSVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2017   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 114 TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to all

Default Re: Damage caused by clipping.

So, clipping probably helped burn the coil, but only because the average Power over time was more than the Speaker could take.

If you had been using a 150 watt amp and clipping the signal continuosly, the sub would still be fine.

98 Dodge Neon Meca Extreme Class Build
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...-timer-sq.html
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2017   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 72 DC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enough

If the clipped signal produced more heat then they could handle then yes. That's typically what happens.
DC/Hertz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017   #4
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Acoustical Mad Scientist

Rep Power: 81 Jazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura about

Pretty much what the above two folks replied with.

I want to very specifically squash the idea that clipping, all by itself, can damage a speaker. This is absolutely false. You can play a square wave through your subwoofers (or tweeters) at a low level for as long as you want without any damage whatsoever.

The reason clipping is bad is as you likely experienced, and as mentioned by the two folks above: the average Power delivered goes up dramatically.

Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
-My 2002 VW Golf stealth SQ build (an engineering student's perspective)
-Jazzi's tuning companion for Room EQ Wizard
Jazzi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 147 TrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to behold

Hurt? I didn't know they had feelings. Blown, burnt, damaged, toasted sounds better to me lol.

We are caged by our cultural programming. Culture is a mass hallucination, and when you step outside the mass hallucination you see it for what its worth. -Terence McKenna.
TrickyRicky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017   #6

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 7 llebcire will become famous soon enoughllebcire will become famous soon enoughllebcire will become famous soon enoughllebcire will become famous soon enoughllebcire will become famous soon enoughllebcire will become famous soon enough

Here's a good read from Focal on how speakers are damaged. More often than not, voice coils are burned when a low powered amp is overdriven and presents more Power than the voice coil was designed to handle. This excessive Power results in excessive heat that either burns the coil or loosens the adhesive allowing the coil to separate from the former.

For a Speaker rated at 300 watts of clean power, it will receive an average of 30 watts of music (1/10th) however a 100 watt amp when overdriven will put out far more than 30 watts and burn the coil.

Additionally, a Speaker is damaged when overdriven with excessive clean power or a poorly designed enclosure that allows the speaker to exceed it's mechanical limits.

-Eric

http://www.focal.com/en/why-do-voice-coils-burn-out

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
llebcire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 103 danno14 will become famous soon enoughdanno14 will become famous soon enoughdanno14 will become famous soon enoughdanno14 will become famous soon enoughdanno14 will become famous soon enoughdanno14 will become famous soon enough

What is "clean power"?

Courtesy of Chad:
Prepare to have your brain melted and read enough audiophile jibberish to want to freebase a baby duckling.
danno14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2017   #8

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 7 llebcire will become famous soon enoughllebcire will become famous soon enoughllebcire will become famous soon enoughllebcire will become famous soon enoughllebcire will become famous soon enoughllebcire will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno14 View Post
What is "clean power"?

Yeah I probably shouldn't have said that as it will start a debate 😆

Let's just remove all references to "clean power" in my response and just replace with the figures, i.e. 100 and 300 watts.

-Eric

Old 01-12-2017   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

iNCORRECT pOLITICALLY

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 247 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno14 View Post
What is "clean power"?

It's what you get when the amp isn't driven past its limits, but you knew that

OEM U-Connect 8.4a, JL Fix 82, c-dsp 6x8, JL XD800/8, Soundstream TN1200.1, stock rears controlled properly by minidsp 2x4 with rear fill plug-in, ID15, SB Acoustics SB17NRXC35-4, Seas Neo Aluminum...HASTE MAKES WASTE
Hillbilly SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2017   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

12V Company:
Action Audio
Position:
Whipping post

Rep Power: 94 Timelessr1 will become famous soon enoughTimelessr1 will become famous soon enoughTimelessr1 will become famous soon enoughTimelessr1 will become famous soon enoughTimelessr1 will become famous soon enoughTimelessr1 will become famous soon enough

I know you said that everything sounds fine, just wanted to throw out another possible scenario.

Have you tried to push down on the diaphragm of the Speaker and listen? The reason i mention this is I ran into a similar issue...i thought my BMKIII's had problems...they used to sound good...ran them hard at times and they started sounding horrible. What I ended up finding was the boxes weren't "sealed" anymore, i heard air escaping around the speaker....and the culprit...the glue holding down the surrounds. Literally 80% of the glue let go. I had to re-glue mine...and they were back to sounding like they did when new.

Just another thought... not sure how the IV's are glued ;-)

Marriage is like a deck of cards. You start out with two hearts and a diamond. In the end you wish you had a spade and a club.
Timelessr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2017   #11

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 northendguy will become famous soon enoughnorthendguy will become famous soon enoughnorthendguy will become famous soon enoughnorthendguy will become famous soon enoughnorthendguy will become famous soon enoughnorthendguy will become famous soon enough

I have a McIntosh amplifier that has a feature called powerguard that electronically attenuates the signal so the amplifier never goes into severe clipping this is a really handy feature to have in a amplifier and it works as i have never damaged any of my speakers by over driving them i believe McIntosh has a patent on this but surely other manufacturers could come up with something similar so it just goes to prove all amplifiers are not the same
northendguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2017   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 318 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by northendguy View Post
I have a McIntosh amplifier that has a feature called powerguard that electronically attenuates the signal so the amplifier never goes into severe clipping this is a really handy feature to have in a amplifier and it works as i have never damaged any of my speakers by over driving them i believe McIntosh has a patent on this but surely other manufacturers could come up with something similar so it just goes to prove all amplifiers are not the same
It's like a backup camera on a car, it's nice to have, but I sure hope you learned how to drive your Car without relying on it. If you need a fancy feature to prevent you from damaging speakers, you should probably start fresh from the beginning and learn a bit more.

2005 Subaru Impreza RS:
Pioneer P99RS / Alpine PDX-V9 and PDX-F4 / Melodic Acoustic Euphoria 6.5 / Pioneer Stage 4 midrange / LPG / 2x AE SBP 15
gijoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2017   #13

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 northendguy will become famous soon enoughnorthendguy will become famous soon enoughnorthendguy will become famous soon enoughnorthendguy will become famous soon enoughnorthendguy will become famous soon enoughnorthendguy will become famous soon enough

well if you play wide dynamic range music its easy to clip a amp as you well know and as for learning a bit more i think i have that part down pretty well thank you
Old 01-12-2017   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 318 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
well if you play wide dynamic range music its easy to clip a amp as you well know and as for learning a bit more i think i have that part down pretty well thank you
That wasn't an insult to you, it was a simply to point out the fact that the vast majority of people have run amps without that feature and never blown a speaker. I agree, it's a neat feature, but it is not a necessary feature. Music is dynamic, and a bit of clipping isn't really an issue, with proper gain settings you don't need that level of protection.

Like the backup camera analogy, it's a nice feature, and can be used to assist, but it shouldn't be used instead of proper gain setting/learning to use your mirrors properly).

2005 Subaru Impreza RS:
Pioneer P99RS / Alpine PDX-V9 and PDX-F4 / Melodic Acoustic Euphoria 6.5 / Pioneer Stage 4 midrange / LPG / 2x AE SBP 15
Old 01-12-2017   #15

DIYMA freshman

here is a thought that i have wondered about ?
lets say you turn the gains down on your amp... way down.... i have kids so i set mine well below the point to where the amp will clip that way if they turn the music up it really never gets even close to clipping plus sometimes my brother borrows my Car and i know him he will turn it to 11 lol...by doing this wouldn't the head unit send a clipped signal to the amp
Old 01-12-2017   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Quote:
here is a thought that i have wondered about ?
lets say you turn the gains down on your amp... way down.... i have kids so i set mine well below the point to where the amp will clip that way if they turn the music up it really never gets even close to clipping plus sometimes my brother borrows my Car and i know him he will turn it to 11 lol...by doing this wouldn't the head unit send a clipped signal to the amp
Very possibly, which is why it's worse to set a stereo/amp up this way. If the signal is clipped before getting to the amp, the amp will amplify that clipped signal.

2005 Subaru Impreza RS:
Old 01-12-2017   #17

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Typically the damage is due to a prolonged hard clip which can be difficult to hear in subs mounted in the trunk.

You're right that there's often clipping due to slightly overdriving the amp that doesn't result in any damage.

-Eric

Sponsored Links
Advertisement