Q: Which will draw more power? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2017   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 azuretm will become famous soon enoughazuretm will become famous soon enoughazuretm will become famous soon enoughazuretm will become famous soon enoughazuretm will become famous soon enoughazuretm will become famous soon enough

Default Q: Which will draw more power?

Example playing pink noise
1st amplifer playing 100 to 500 hz
2nd amplifier playing 100 to 20,000 hz

Not sure if they both draw the same power/watts or if 2nd amplifier will draw more.
azuretm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2017   #2
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Victory Sonics

12V Company:
Victory Sonics
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 155 Victor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: Q: Which will draw more power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by azuretm View Post
Example playing pink noise
1st amplifer playing 100 to 500 hz
2nd amplifier playing 100 to 20,000 hz

Not sure if they both draw the same power/watts or if 2nd amplifier will draw more.
Second will draw more power if sensitivity matched.
Victor_inox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017   #3

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 azuretm will become famous soon enoughazuretm will become famous soon enoughazuretm will become famous soon enoughazuretm will become famous soon enoughazuretm will become famous soon enoughazuretm will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_inox View Post
Second will draw more power.
Thanks. Thinking might be the same because they will have the same peak voltage.

Old 01-11-2017   #4
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Acoustical Mad Scientist

Rep Power: 86 Jazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura aboutJazzi has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by azuretm View Post
Thanks. Thinking might be the same because they will have the same peak voltage.
That might be the case if you were playing white noise. However, pink noise has higher energy in the lower frequencies which is why subwoofers need gobs of power and tweeters do not.

edit: I misread the frequencies in the original post, whoops. The power consumed will be just about the same between the two examples given, or at least so similar that it wouldn't matter enough to warrant a change in equipment or wiring or fusing etc.

Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
-My 2002 VW Golf stealth SQ build (an engineering student's perspective)
-Jazzi's tuning companion for Room EQ Wizard

Last edited by Jazzi; 01-11-2017 at 11:41 PM..
Jazzi is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017   #5
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Victory Sonics

12V Company:
Victory Sonics
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 155 Victor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the roughVictor_inox is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzi View Post
That might be the case if you were playing white noise. However, pink noise has higher energy in the lower frequencies which is why subwoofers need gobs of power and tweeters do not.
Regardless current consumed will be comparable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

It seems like most people don't care to actually understand reality.
Old 01-11-2017   #6

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 11 llebcire will become famous soon enoughllebcire will become famous soon enoughllebcire will become famous soon enoughllebcire will become famous soon enoughllebcire will become famous soon enoughllebcire will become famous soon enough

Here's my thought:

The OP didn't give any specifics such as output power or impedance the amps are driving so it's impossible to make an educated guess.

However, if we assume that both amps have similar power and efficiency ratings and are driving the same impedance, then the max current draw would be the same.

Both amps would draw the most current, for argument let's say 40 amps, at the same frequency, say 100 Hz. Although amp B goes past 500 Hz (where amp A stops) it would have drawn it's peak current at the lower frequencies. As it continues past 500 Hz the current draw (all things being equal) wouldn't exceed 40 amps so both amps will draw the same maximum current.

Thoughts?
-Eric
llebcire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017   #7
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Victory Sonics

12V Company:
Victory Sonics
Position:
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by llebcire View Post
Here's my thought:

The OP didn't give any specifics such as output power or impedance the amps are driving so it's impossible to make an educated guess.

However, if we assume that both amps have similar power and efficiency ratings and are driving the same impedance, then the max current draw would be the same.

Both amps would draw the most current, for argument let's say 40 amps, at the same frequency, say 100 Hz. Although amp B goes past 500 Hz (where amp A stops) it would have drawn it's peak current at the lower frequencies. As it continues past 500 Hz the current draw (all things being equal) wouldn't exceed 40 amps so both amps will draw the same maximum current.

Thoughts?
-Eric
Don`t you hate when people asked half cooked questions?
Half cooked question deserved half cooked answer....
Old 01-12-2017   #8

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by llebcire View Post
Here's my thought:

Thoughts?
-Eric
Thanks. Both amp and speaker are identical in the example above. My PA woofer and midrange can play fullrange. I level match my amplifier to the limit since my speakers can take more wattage. I'm wondering if it is easier for the amp when I'm using crossover than playing fullrange.. And oh! sometimes i want it to play it as loud as possible playing all at fullrange where I don't care about the tuning.

And btw I burnt my amplifer last new year when my friend played bass boosted music from youtube. Thats the reason why i'm asking for this question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement