Which Modern cars easy with aftermarket audio? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2017   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 34 Sub Sonic will become famous soon enoughSub Sonic will become famous soon enoughSub Sonic will become famous soon enoughSub Sonic will become famous soon enoughSub Sonic will become famous soon enoughSub Sonic will become famous soon enough

Default Which Modern cars easy with aftermarket audio?

Which modern vehicles would you say you can install after market stereos into and are easy and work well? With a lot of the cars and trucks, if you do an after market headunit you lose major functionality. If you keep the factory headunit you have to deal with crappy sound and integration pieces.

My 2014 accord has been a real pain. Are subarus or toyotas any better? I am curious as that would effect which car I chose to buy. Thanks.

Btw - I am talking about vehicles 5 years old and newer.

2014 Honda Accord v6 Touring - Kenwood excelon x998, Focal krx2, 2 x 13W6v2, JL HD 750/1, JL HD 600/4
Sub Sonic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2017   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 123 Lycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: Which Modern cars easy with aftermarket audio?

the accord stock headunit actually isn't alo that bad all things considered, the Toyotas stock units are much worse, and everything I've seen says the Subaru units are easily replaced because they are way less integrated than the Honda or Toyota units

"you will need to use all 31 bands on the eq, qualifying a speaker as better cause you feel it needs lesser eq just means you're not listening closely enough."
Lycancatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2017   #3

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 c3156 will become famous soon enoughc3156 will become famous soon enoughc3156 will become famous soon enoughc3156 will become famous soon enoughc3156 will become famous soon enoughc3156 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycancatt View Post
everything I've seen says the Subaru units are easily replaced because they are way less integrated than the Honda or Toyota units
That depends, I have a thread on here about trying to use the Subaru HK headunit. Major pain due to the canbus integration of the HU and HK amp. If you are working with a non-HK system, you should be fine.
c3156 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 101 Alrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enough

Interesting topic, I'll be keeping an eye on this one
Alrojoca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2017   #5
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 16 dcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub Sonic View Post
Which modern vehicles would you say you can install after market stereos into and are easy and work well? With a lot of the cars and trucks, if you do an after market headunit you lose major functionality. If you keep the factory headunit you have to deal with crappy sound and integration pieces.

My 2014 accord has been a real pain. Are subarus or toyotas any better? I am curious as that would effect which car I chose to buy. Thanks.

Btw - I am talking about vehicles 5 years old and newer.
Lulz, what? I have a 15 and it's the easiest car I can imagine to integrate you can even use the factory amp to gain 4 full range channels of amplication or to add a dsp or amps straight from the factory pre amp. I guess you must have the base stereo but you can add the exl and do the same
dcfis is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2017   #6
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

12V Company:
ORCA Design
Position:
Dealer & Consumer Support

Rep Power: 100 cobb2819 will become famous soon enoughcobb2819 will become famous soon enoughcobb2819 will become famous soon enoughcobb2819 will become famous soon enoughcobb2819 will become famous soon enoughcobb2819 will become famous soon enough

BMW for me is the easiest.

Personal Car : 2000 Honda Civic EX Sedan (According to the Vin)
Equipment : Some Sources -> Some Processing -> Some Amps Feeding Some Speakers, Various Blackhole Products
cobb2819 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2017   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 101 Alrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enough

It would interesting to know things like, in what year do car manufacturers started using head units that can actually play MP3 compressed files from CDs.

My guess is 2009, but I may be wrong and it will depend on the price tag, some options, and manufacturers

Al

Pioneer Deh 80 Prs, JBL MS amps
Old 03-01-2017   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 44 DavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enough

I might have the easiest vehicle on the market... 2016 Jeep Wrangler. Mainly because the electronics "technology" seems to be about 10 years old in this thing! Lol

My wife was furious when she overheard me saying I want to do a 3 way in my Jeep. 2016 Wrangler 2 Door - Morel MT250 Tweeters - Morel Hybrid MW6 Midbass - Hertz Mille Rear fill- Sundown Zv.4 & SCV-2000D - Arc XDi - Mosconi Pico 2 - MiniDSP - source Fiio X3
DavidRam is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2017   #9

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
RSR Corp.
Position:
Maint. Admin.

Rep Power: 30 Truthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enough

New Toyota Camrys are supported by Idatalink Maestro RR data integration and both Metra & American International make dash kits for them... which makes them easy to upgrade to aftermarket without losing much if any functionality.

Check out the build log section for cars your considering and see what other have done.
Truthunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2017   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

NCSQ Founding Member

Rep Power: 137 Notloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really nice

2006-2012 ford fusion, mercury milan, and lincoln mkz are all easy to work on and can sound good.

That's about as modern as I'm familiar with.

I like building stuff. I'm not very good at it but I enjoy it.
Notloudenuf is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2017   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 44 DavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enough

I might have the easiest vehicle on the market... 2016 Jeep Wrangler. Mainly because the electronics "technology" seems to be about 10 years old in this thing! Lol

My wife was furious when she overheard me saying I want to do a 3 way in my Jeep. 2016 Wrangler 2 Door - Morel MT250 Tweeters - Morel Hybrid MW6 Midbass - Hertz Mille Rear fill- Sundown Zv.4 & SCV-2000D - Arc XDi - Mosconi Pico 2 - MiniDSP - source Fiio X3
Old 03-01-2017   #12

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
RSR Corp.
Position:
Maint. Admin.

Rep Power: 30 Truthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enough

Recent model Camrys (2015+) are supported by Idatalink Maestro RR data integration and both Metra & American International make dash kits for them making it fairly easy to replace the factory stereo with minimal, if any, function loss.
However, the factory headunits in them are known for poor/funky signal quality which don't lend themselves to be corrected all that well with dsp.

Check out the Build Log section of the forums for vehicles your considering to get an idea of what others have done.
Old 03-01-2017   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA freshman

So weird, I already posted twice here, and I don't see those posts.

Al

Old 03-01-2017   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alrojoca View Post
So weird, I already posted twice here, and I don't see those posts.
Same here. My post disappeared and I had to re-post it... It stuck the second time.

Old 03-01-2017   #15

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 25 sq2k1 will become famous soon enoughsq2k1 will become famous soon enoughsq2k1 will become famous soon enoughsq2k1 will become famous soon enoughsq2k1 will become famous soon enoughsq2k1 will become famous soon enough

I had no issues with changing things around in my 2011 camry, can not really vouch for newer ones at all though. Although I believe this will probably be the last Toyota I ever buy after dealing with issues which I will not go into.

As far as the website, it has been a disaster the last few days with posts and pms. Someone needs to investigate the matter. I know the loading times for pages is much slower than usual and I certainly know its not my connection.
sq2k1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2017   #16

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 conehunter76 will become famous soon enoughconehunter76 will become famous soon enoughconehunter76 will become famous soon enoughconehunter76 will become famous soon enoughconehunter76 will become famous soon enoughconehunter76 will become famous soon enough

I had an '09 Subaru STi that was very easy to work on. I don't think the Impreza chassis changed until 2012 but I'm not 100% sure.

The interior panels were easy to remove and didn't rattle after they were replaced. Single DIN head units had lots of mounting room. The front doors had plenty of room for Pioneer 720 components. I pulled the spare tire and mounted two Tru amps in the tire well, and never had overheating problems.

My current 4Runner, on the other hand, has fought me every step of the way.
conehunter76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2017   #17

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 7 masoman95 will become famous soon enoughmasoman95 will become famous soon enoughmasoman95 will become famous soon enoughmasoman95 will become famous soon enoughmasoman95 will become famous soon enoughmasoman95 will become famous soon enough

gotta love the foreign cars, lol honda/acuras are pain to replace but can be done, and if you get a PAC controller it lets you keep most functionality of stock head unit and steering wheel controls when you add an aftermarket stereo
masoman95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017   #18

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 34 Sub Sonic will become famous soon enoughSub Sonic will become famous soon enoughSub Sonic will become famous soon enoughSub Sonic will become famous soon enoughSub Sonic will become famous soon enoughSub Sonic will become famous soon enough

A lot of the newer cars seem to have critical functions of the car integrated with the headunit. So, when you pull the headunit out, you lose functionality. The dash kit might help replace this functionality or not. Is there any newer cars out there that dont have car features integrated with the headunit? This is nightmare I am dealing with my 2014 accord.

2014 Honda Accord v6 Touring - Kenwood excelon x998, Focal krx2, 2 x 13W6v2, JL HD 750/1, JL HD 600/4
Old 03-20-2017   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 175 kyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the rough

What you can do with this matter is look for the service manual for the car you own and check how "integrated" it is. Then you may start from there. Like my Lancer, I only need to ensure +ve and -ve for the HU stay connected to the original harness. If not, it will send fault signal to the ECU.
I think the navigation connections are secondary and may not affect the ECU.

kyheng is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017   #20

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
RSR Corp.
Position:
Maint. Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub Sonic View Post
A lot of the newer cars seem to have critical functions of the car integrated with the headunit. So, when you pull the headunit out, you lose functionality. The dash kit might help replace this functionality or not. Is there any newer cars out there that dont have car features integrated with the headunit? This is nightmare I am dealing with my 2014 accord.
Depends on the car and if it is supported by aftermarket integration like Idatalink Maestro RR or similar. In my car, I actually gained functionality; Vehicle options that required an expensive Techstream programmer or taking a trip to dealer can now be changed by me right on my aftermarket stereo screen.
Old 03-20-2017   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA freshman

I drove a 2016 Porsche Macan yesterday, smooth and hard to notice how fast it is really going unless I looked at the speedometer.

Anyway I was surprised how decent the stage was, not bad for factory sound, I'd did not turn it up loud.
All integrated, the screen simulates a back up camera with sensors to warn you and prevent you from bumping into objects, it literally stopped by itself to keep me from getting close to my garage door.

Bose system, and the reason the stage was perhaps better than mine centered and voice more localized was because it had a center channel on the dash, meaning good dual front stage. That's cheating I think

Day and night Compared to an 06 Cayanne, I got to ride in it a few times, the sound system left a lot of disappointment on the 06.

The point is, I hope car audio do not become a creative destruction thing, in the future, wanting to buy sound improvement, but not really improving it.

Maybe it is not a fair comparison, like cassetes replaced the 8 track, CDs replaced the cassettes, MP3's replaced CD's and now streaming is replacing MP3's, just car audio sales growth may be harder as cars age and get replaced, with new ones with more electronics and integrated systems.

Al

Old 03-20-2017   #22

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 70 jnchantler will become famous soon enoughjnchantler will become famous soon enoughjnchantler will become famous soon enoughjnchantler will become famous soon enoughjnchantler will become famous soon enoughjnchantler will become famous soon enough

I think this also relies heavily on which trim you get in each model. For example, both my Honda and my F150 have the worst option - I wish I'd done more research on both it would have made life easier.
jnchantler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017   #23

DIYMA freshman

Right guys, you make good points. So can you list out some specific cars/years/models that i can pull out the headunit and put what I want and not lose any functionality(or any critical functionality at least)?

Old 03-20-2017   #24

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 53 fasfocus00 will become famous soon enoughfasfocus00 will become famous soon enoughfasfocus00 will become famous soon enoughfasfocus00 will become famous soon enoughfasfocus00 will become famous soon enoughfasfocus00 will become famous soon enough

there is a bit more that you have to take into consideration when you are looking at "tuner" friendly vehicles. what sort of vehicle are you looking for? how much do you plan on altering the vehicle? what sort of features are you looking to get/keep?

when it comes to basic car audio upgrades, Nissan and Toyota have only a handful of harnesses and both vehicles don't have extensive integration pieces. people may say Honda only has 3 different wiring harnesses. true, but they also recently started integrating a bunch of features in to their OEM deck like lane changing cameras, BT, CarPlay, HDMI, etc....
fasfocus00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 97 Sine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enough

Get a drop in Alpine unit

Alpine

Kenwood DNX5120 - MS8 - 2 x PPI Art Ax400 - JBL GTO 1200.1ii - Scanspeak Illuminator R3004/6020 - Morel CAW938's - 2 x JBL P1222
Sine Swept is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement