Putting 18's in my Durango for sh|+s and giggles. Who makes decent ones? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2017   #1
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 17 Ericm1205 will become famous soon enoughEricm1205 will become famous soon enoughEricm1205 will become famous soon enoughEricm1205 will become famous soon enoughEricm1205 will become famous soon enoughEricm1205 will become famous soon enough

Default Putting 18's in my Durango for sh|+s and giggles. Who makes decent ones?

Since my charger has all the good stuff I want to make my Durango into a pounder I don't drive it often. It's the bad weather car so I can keep the superbee safe.

I always wanted to do something wicked and I think 18's will do the trick for me.
I really want to find an old pair of the soundstream XXX ones. The ones with quad coils and take 10k watts. But I doubt I will find a pair. Those who bought them know what they have and kept them. I might go with the new soundstream 18 XXX. What other decent brands are out there. Prolly just do a simple sealed box and rip out the 3rd row seats. Add a second batter and a powerful ass amp.
Plus upgrade the current Polk audio 6.5's to something that is a little louder or add a second pair to the doors.
Soundstream,, Orion , fosgate mtx. Any other decent brands out there that won't ruin my bank? Which is why I didn't list sundowns.
Might add a pair of 10's for some punchy bass so it's not all rumble.
I ran 2 x 12 and 2 x 8 mtx blue thunders in my Daytona and it was one of the best systems I ever made.
Ericm1205 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2017   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 123 Lycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: Putting 18's in my Durango for sh|+s and giggles. Who makes decent ones?

really want to try the ssa 18s, look well built and are not super expensive. if you aren't going all out spl car, re has some lower line eighteens that'd happily pound the ground but would sound better than the pure spl drivers. I agree you will need more and or better front stage, but one thing you overlooked is a good aftermarket alternator, makes all the difference for longterm play.

"you will need to use all 31 bands on the eq, qualifying a speaker as better cause you feel it needs lesser eq just means you're not listening closely enough."
Lycancatt is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 130 mmiller will become famous soon enoughmmiller will become famous soon enoughmmiller will become famous soon enoughmmiller will become famous soon enoughmmiller will become famous soon enoughmmiller will become famous soon enoughmmiller will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Putting 18's in my Durango for sh|+s and giggles. Who makes decent ones?

Dayton Ultimax.
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...-coil--295-518

Awesome sounding subs two 18's will pound, 5 year warranty too!

2016 Civic Turbo Coupe
-Alpine, Arc Audio, Cardas, Hybrid Audio, JL Audio
And a closet full of $hit I'll never use.....
mmiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017   #4

Diyma Ninja

Rep Power: 594 BigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond repute

I ordered an SSA 18 and it jogged loose during shipping and got all banged up. SSA told me to just paint over the damage, but after some back and fourth, I eventually got a refund. I ended up getting an Audioque (now Soundqubed) HDC 18 and I've really been impressed with it.

BigAl205 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 152 fish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enough

The new Fi Q looks very interesting.

P01 - HD600/4(2) - T1500-1bdCP - LPG 26NA - Peerless NE95W - Usher 1001B - Soloclassic 15(2)
fish is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 123 Lycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura about

agreed, the fi q would be an excellent option

"you will need to use all 31 bands on the eq, qualifying a speaker as better cause you feel it needs lesser eq just means you're not listening closely enough."
Lycancatt is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017   #7

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 18 geshat00 will become famous soon enoughgeshat00 will become famous soon enoughgeshat00 will become famous soon enoughgeshat00 will become famous soon enoughgeshat00 will become famous soon enoughgeshat00 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiller View Post
Dayton Ultimax.

The RS 18 was tested and is built like a tank:

Data-Bass

07 Impala LTZ Alpine PXE-h650
Dayton Audio ND25FW-4 Aura Sound NS3
amps subwoofer
geshat00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2017   #8

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 6 BlackNyellow787 will become famous soon enoughBlackNyellow787 will become famous soon enoughBlackNyellow787 will become famous soon enoughBlackNyellow787 will become famous soon enoughBlackNyellow787 will become famous soon enoughBlackNyellow787 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiller View Post
Dayton Ultimax.

If he's trying to throw some big power at some 18's i wouldn't do the Daytons. They are great woofers though for 1000-1500rms. I have one in my house in 7 cubes tuned to 20hz with 1500rms on it, it gets violent to say the least....
BlackNyellow787 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2017   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 96 truckerfte will become famous soon enoughtruckerfte will become famous soon enoughtruckerfte will become famous soon enoughtruckerfte will become famous soon enoughtruckerfte will become famous soon enoughtruckerfte will become famous soon enoughtruckerfte will become famous soon enough

I tossed a couple of those cheap lanzar ib 18's in my Buick, stand ins until I get around to moving to the ultimax drivers.

Its the most bass fun I've had in years. Not subtle, but with the 750 watts of an lrx 5.1 sub channel, it is enough to blur vision and mess with my breathing a little.

Well worth the $150 I spent on the pair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcbassplay
It's not a party until the bottoms come off.

Last edited by truckerfte; 03-23-2017 at 11:08 AM..
truckerfte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2017   #10

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 18 geshat00 will become famous soon enoughgeshat00 will become famous soon enoughgeshat00 will become famous soon enoughgeshat00 will become famous soon enoughgeshat00 will become famous soon enoughgeshat00 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNyellow787 View Post
If he's trying to throw some big power at some 18's i wouldn't do the Daytons. They are great woofers though for 1000-1500rms. I have one in my house in 7 cubes tuned to 20hz with 1500rms on it, it gets violent to say the least....
Violent = hearing loss. In that review it said the Reference 18" had very modest rating. Well I guess any pair of 18" will most likely cause hearing loss!

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

07 Impala LTZ Alpine PXE-h650
Dayton Audio ND25FW-4 Aura Sound NS3
amps subwoofer
geshat00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2017   #11
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 17 Ericm1205 will become famous soon enoughEricm1205 will become famous soon enoughEricm1205 will become famous soon enoughEricm1205 will become famous soon enoughEricm1205 will become famous soon enoughEricm1205 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckerfte View Post
I tossed a couple of those cheap lanzar ib 18's in my Buick, stand ins until I get around to moving to the ultimax drivers.

Its the most bass fun I've had in years. Not subtle, but with the 750 watts of an lrx 5.1 sub channel, it is enough to blur vision and mess with my breathing a little.

Well worth the $150 I spent on the pair.

Awesome reply. Lol love it. Kinda what I am looking for. The feeling when doc hits 77mph in the delorean. Lol

I been a fanboy of soundstream for a while. I might save up for the XXX 18's they have now. They aren't the legendary quad coil 10k beasts. But they are impressive.
I seen the fi, the sundowns, and even checked psi out for a custom pair of 18's.

Would adding a pair or trio of 10's to add some tight bass worth the effort, or would the 18's totally drown them out?
Could be tempted to do 4 x 15's since there is many more companies make the 15 over the 18. But an 18's is sheer awesomeness
I might do all soundstream in the Durango. Comps amps and subs. I got an alpine touch screen in there now so I am good with the hu.

Def gonna need a 2nd battery or even a third. And 0 gauge everywhere.

But then I am tempted to go old school. Get some 10.0 amps and the chrome Picasso and some good old comps and I have a pair of refence exact 10's they need rebuild I think. If I could find another pair or 4 of the same subs I would be tickled. I'm dreaming here tho.

<a href=http://s1095.photobucket.com/user/whip316/media/eric%20siggy%20small%201.jpg.html target=_blank><a href=http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i473/whip316/eric%20siggy%20small%201.jpg target=_blank>http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/...0small%201.jpg</a></a>
Ericm1205 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement