Which of my amps do I use for my front stage? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago   #1
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 mdavidh will become famous soon enoughmdavidh will become famous soon enoughmdavidh will become famous soon enoughmdavidh will become famous soon enoughmdavidh will become famous soon enoughmdavidh will become famous soon enough

Default Which of my amps do I use for my front stage?

Hey,
After a long hiatus from car audio I decided to pull out all of the gear I have hoarded over the years for the front stage I am building in my 1998 4runner.

Right now I am running scan illuminators and dynaudio mw162s passively in kicks off of my Mcintosh mc427(100x2) and an adire b10 Brahma + zed Minotaur for sub duty.

I am waiting on a set of stereo integrity tm65 for mid bass duty (doors) and I will run them with the dyns (midrange) and scans (kicks) active via cdsp 6x8. I have never ran an active 3 way and I can't decide how to amp them.
I have available:
MC427 100x2
MC431 100x4
MC440 50x4 + 100x2
MCC444 110x4
My plan was originally to give the tm65 and dyns 110wx4 via the mcc444 and the scans 100wx2 via the mc427.
After consideration my thought was to bridge the mcc444 (220w x2) for the TM 65, bridge the mc431(200w X2) for the dyns and let the scans have the mc427 for 100w each. Is that too much power? Did I miss another option?

I am also waiting on a SI HST-12 mkII that may take the brahmas place or find its way into my listening room if I can't let the old sub go...

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Matthew
mdavidh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 206 tRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: Which of my amps do I use for my front stage?

Aren't the SI TM65s DVC? If they are the originals, I think they are 4 ohm DVC drivers, but the mkIIs are 4 ohm SVC.

I don't know what the MC440 will do when you bridge the front channels as far as power output, and I can't find anything online in a quick search.

Personally, I don't see the need for the Dyns in this setup, especially if you're running the mkII. I think the 427/444 combo is probably your best bet, either way, though. If the SI are the original, then this would be even better, as the amp will do more power (again, I assume, I don't know) at 2 ohms for your midbasses in that configuration.

Personally, though, I'd go for somewhere approaching 150-200W for mkII drivers with the scan tweets and drop the Dyns. As to how well the original TM65s match up with the Scans, I'm not too familiar with those drivers, so I can't say. The upper end extension on the mkII is a big benefit, and they will still dig deep... I just can't see hanging on to the Dyns.

I know I'm not.

<edit> You could always try swapping the mid for a pair of dome mids and really go to town.

"You never know why you're alive until you know what you would die for." - Bart Millard

'04 Tahoe -- Pioneer/ID HLCDs/SI TM65 mkII x4/JBL W15GTi x3/Zapco Z-series & Z8
'09 370Z -- Pioneer/Morel/Dynaudio/SI Magv3 x2/Sundown and Zapco DC amps and DRC-SL
tRidiot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #3
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 mdavidh will become famous soon enoughmdavidh will become famous soon enoughmdavidh will become famous soon enoughmdavidh will become famous soon enoughmdavidh will become famous soon enoughmdavidh will become famous soon enough

The SI tm65s are new mkII.

What advantage would a dome midrange have over the dyns?

I always thought I understood that I wanted a separate driver handling the midrange (If possible) when going low for midbass?

What dome midranges do you recommend?

Old 1 Week Ago   #4
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

I think the MC440 will do 200x2 in 2 channel mode.
Old 1 Week Ago   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

iNCORRECT pOLITICALLY

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 249 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

I'd try the 440 for the whole 3-way front and see how it does.

OEM U-Connect 8.4a, JL Fix 82, c-dsp 6x8, JL XD800/8, Soundstream TN1200.1, stock rears controlled properly by minidsp 2x4 with rear fill plug-in, ID15, SB Acoustics SB17NRXC35-4, Seas Neo Aluminum...HASTE MAKES WASTE
Hillbilly SQ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 6 Days Ago   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 206 tRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavidh View Post

I always thought I understood that I wanted a separate driver handling the midrange (If possible) when going low for midbass?

If they're the mkII, you don't need a separate midrange. The mkII were specifically designed not only to get low with authority, but to play higher than the originals.

I say, ditch the Dyns, use the 440, bridge the 50x4 to 200x2 for your mids and 100x1 for your tweets. Problem solved, single amp, 2-way front, everything's covered. No need to complicate it with a 3-way setup when you don't need one.

At least this is the easy way, and you can demo this without making major changes. If you don't like it, then you can move forward, but I don't think you'll need to.

"You never know why you're alive until you know what you would die for." - Bart Millard

'04 Tahoe -- Pioneer/ID HLCDs/SI TM65 mkII x4/JBL W15GTi x3/Zapco Z-series & Z8
'09 370Z -- Pioneer/Morel/Dynaudio/SI Magv3 x2/Sundown and Zapco DC amps and DRC-SL
tRidiot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 6 Days Ago   #7
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Makes sense mostly.
I have the gear so I think I am going to try the three way. Really all I have to do is put the tm65s in the door. The car is essentially wired save the processor and some power distribution for the new amps.
tm65s will get 220 wpc
Dyns will get 200 wpc
Tweets will get 100wpc.

This way I will have it all installed and it will be easy to make changes if I get bogged down making the 3 way sound good.

I think...
Old 6 Days Ago   #8
Classifieds Access

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 tx4wl will become famous soon enoughtx4wl will become famous soon enoughtx4wl will become famous soon enoughtx4wl will become famous soon enoughtx4wl will become famous soon enoughtx4wl will become famous soon enough

Would love to see pics of the tweeter install/location. Sail panel?
tx4wl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 6 Days Ago   #9

DIYMA Novice

12V Company:
Plaschem Supply(RIP)....
Position:
Sales & Consulting

Rep Power: 128 BoomHz will become famous soon enoughBoomHz will become famous soon enoughBoomHz will become famous soon enoughBoomHz will become famous soon enoughBoomHz will become famous soon enoughBoomHz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavidh View Post

A dome midrange, subjectively, will give you better midrange coverage........which in some instances helps with better separation, seeing as your going with the three way setup. You can find Dyn's midrange in various places. And I find myself a little giddy thinking of that crossed with the Scans. Either way, though I have respect for both SI and Dyn, I think shifting either to the midrange position.......well I won't say lacking, but like a....unfulfilling? Either would be fine in a two way, but I'd separate in a three way. Those is two pennies there, I'm a torturing ass

You've got a great capabilities already, go for a knock out punch.

Oh, want some more contradiction......... You might be pleasantly surprised by HillBilly's suggestion on the 440, I don't doubt it. Efficient, space savingly
efficient, and so just ............but won't the other amps be lonely and jealous its just not fair.

KDC-X689- System 360- XA4000- 2400A- PSW812

"Go SQ yourself"
BoomHz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 6 Days Ago   #10
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

I wonder how I could get my adire extremis 6.5s involved in the mix?
Or should I?
Too deep for my doors for sure.
Jealous amps? I need more cars...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement