Help with c-dsp 6x8 and alternator noise - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 5 unfknblvbl will become famous soon enoughunfknblvbl will become famous soon enoughunfknblvbl will become famous soon enoughunfknblvbl will become famous soon enoughunfknblvbl will become famous soon enoughunfknblvbl will become famous soon enough

Default Help with c-dsp 6x8 and alternator noise

Hey everyone I'm Back!! And I have a new setup.

Head Unit (still) Kenwood KDC X500
Tweeters: DS18 Pro bullet tweeters
Mids: 6.5 DS18 pro mid
Midbass: 8" pioneer pro series
Sub :Alpine type r

Amps
Alpine PDX F6
Alpine PDX M12
Hifonics 1016.4

C-dsp 6x8
Epic 150 bass restoration

So the problems I'm having is: after i hooked up the c-dsp I now have this alternator whine and a hiss. I have not only checked all my grounds but I redid the grounds. I ran a 1/0 gauge from the battery ground and ran it to a distribution box and ran 4 gauge from there to the amps. Everything is grounded to that point. And It seemed to help maybe? but it is still there.
I have ordered the stinger 6000 RCA's and will try that but I dont think its that becuz I tried some cheap rca's from walmart , to see if it would help at all and there wasnt much of a change.
I did the BIG 3 Upgrade awhile back and I have the ground of the battery grounded at 2 spots, close to each other but 2 different spots. Could that be it?
ANY SUGGESTIONS??????
unfknblvbl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 5 20to20 will become famous soon enough20to20 will become famous soon enough20to20 will become famous soon enough20to20 will become famous soon enough20to20 will become famous soon enough20to20 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Help with c-dsp 6x8 and alternator noise

Does the processor have a "balanced" input option? Also some output processors have an "ISO" "200(ohm)" or "gnd" switch to help with induced noise .. read the manual to see if these options are available

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
20to20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 207 tRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond repute

I also picked up some alt whine when I put in my C-DSP 6x8 recently. I haven't had time to mess with it and try to get rid of it yet, but I can tell you if I can't get rid of the whine somehow, I'll be getting something else, much as I like this unit.

"You never know why you're alive until you know what you would die for." - Bart Millard

'04 Tahoe -- Pioneer/ID HLCDs/SI TM65 mkII x4/JBL W15GTi x3/Zapco Z-series & Z8
'09 370Z -- Pioneer/Morel/Dynaudio/SI Magv3 x2/Sundown and Zapco DC amps and DRC-SL
tRidiot is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 27 WifeyHatesMyHobby will become famous soon enoughWifeyHatesMyHobby will become famous soon enoughWifeyHatesMyHobby will become famous soon enoughWifeyHatesMyHobby will become famous soon enoughWifeyHatesMyHobby will become famous soon enoughWifeyHatesMyHobby will become famous soon enough

Had some noise issues when I first installed my c-dsp, but eventually figured out that was because I had set the amp gains before turning the c-dsp volume to max. Once I set to max (and verified no clipping) and then reset the amp gains, all noise is gone.

2017 Toyota 4runner SR5: OEM Headunit --> Minidsp C-DSP 6x8--> JL Audio JX 360/4 --> Tang Band W3-1364SA 3" Bamboo Cone Driver in dash; Tang Band W6-789E 6-1/2" Woofer in door
WifeyHatesMyHobby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA member

Rep Power: 59 Theslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enough

Are you using the mini dc isolator? It got rid of the noise for my 2x4. I know it has power limitations. I had no noise issues with my 6to8

The best way to dummy proof is to get rid of the dummies
Theslaking is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 27 WifeyHatesMyHobby will become famous soon enoughWifeyHatesMyHobby will become famous soon enoughWifeyHatesMyHobby will become famous soon enoughWifeyHatesMyHobby will become famous soon enoughWifeyHatesMyHobby will become famous soon enoughWifeyHatesMyHobby will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theslaking View Post
Are you using the mini dc isolator? It got rid of the noise for my 2x4. I know it has power limitations. I had no noise issues with my 6to8
The c-dsp has a dc-dc isolator built in, no need for an external one.

2017 Toyota 4runner SR5: OEM Headunit --> Minidsp C-DSP 6x8--> JL Audio JX 360/4 --> Tang Band W3-1364SA 3" Bamboo Cone Driver in dash; Tang Band W6-789E 6-1/2" Woofer in door
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Zestforlife808 will become famous soon enoughZestforlife808 will become famous soon enoughZestforlife808 will become famous soon enoughZestforlife808 will become famous soon enoughZestforlife808 will become famous soon enoughZestforlife808 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theslaking View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WifeyHatesMyHobby View Post
The c-dsp has a dc-dc isolator built in, no need for an external one.
Yup same issue here. I started a thread a few days ago but didn't really get any good feedback. For kicks I also tried adding the miniDCH isolator and it attenuated the noise but it was still there. The only thing that truly helped was powering the DSP from a battery. That isn't a permanent solution though. I currently have a ground loop isolator in my hand to test with. Will report back on how that goes.

That said, I'm not understanding how a ground loop is even possible when I have the minidsp grounded to the same spot as the amp and it whines the second the tweeter output rcas are connected regardless of whether or not a source is connected to the dsp inputs. It's almost as if something is wrong with the internal grounding of the DSP and/or it's NOT actually truly isolated.

I WAS super interested in the new 8x12 but not if it even has the remote possibility of whining too.
Zestforlife808 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 5 unfknblvbl will become famous soon enoughunfknblvbl will become famous soon enoughunfknblvbl will become famous soon enoughunfknblvbl will become famous soon enoughunfknblvbl will become famous soon enoughunfknblvbl will become famous soon enough

Are all of you experiencing the alt. whine or hiss noise? cuz I have both. And does anyone know if the c-dsp has a 200 ohm/ gnd. switch?
Old 1 Week Ago   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 251 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

I'm starting to think there's a bad batch of c-dsp's rolling out. Now if you turn the volume on the remote up too high you'll get hiss. I've never had an issue with mine having ground noise. The times I did have ground noise I was able to track it down to other pieces of equipment and able to fix the problem. One thing worth noting because it happened to me...if there's an unused rca cable dangling anywhere it can sum noise even if it's not hooked to anything on either end. I had an unbearable whine that I couldn't figure out and after describing it to a good buddy who's a member on here he told me it was an unused cable I had behind the dash. He was right! Also had whine caused by the headunit chassis touching metal behind the dash.

'14 Grand Cherokee Limited, OEM U-Connect 8.4a, JL Fix 82, c-dsp 6x8, Arc xdi1200.6v2, Soundstream pn4.520d, stock rears controlled properly by minidsp 2x4 with rear fill plug-in, ID15v3, SB Acoustics SB17NRXC35-4, Seas Neo Aluminum...Rearfill done properly is a helluva drug!
Hillbilly SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillbilly SQ For This Useful Post:
Truthunter (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 251 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Are all amp/processor chassis isolated from metal in the vehicle? I've had this cause whine. I know finding and fixing ground noise can be frustrating and at times expensive. Have you bypassed the headunit and plugged your phone or something into the c-dsp inputs for source to see if the noise is still there?

'14 Grand Cherokee Limited, OEM U-Connect 8.4a, JL Fix 82, c-dsp 6x8, Arc xdi1200.6v2, Soundstream pn4.520d, stock rears controlled properly by minidsp 2x4 with rear fill plug-in, ID15v3, SB Acoustics SB17NRXC35-4, Seas Neo Aluminum...Rearfill done properly is a helluva drug!
Old 1 Week Ago   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 207 tRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond repute

I do have an unused set of RCAs near my unit, since it has 1 less set of inputs than the Z8 it replaced. No idea yet if that is the cause of my whine. No idea when I'll get a chance to look into it. Probably weeks.

"You never know why you're alive until you know what you would die for." - Bart Millard

'04 Tahoe -- Pioneer/ID HLCDs/SI TM65 mkII x4/JBL W15GTi x3/Zapco Z-series & Z8
'09 370Z -- Pioneer/Morel/Dynaudio/SI Magv3 x2/Sundown and Zapco DC amps and DRC-SL
tRidiot is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tRidiot View Post
I do have an unused set of RCAs near my unit, since it has 1 less set of inputs than the Z8 it replaced. No idea yet if that is the cause of my whine. No idea when I'll get a chance to look into it. Probably weeks.
When I had a set of rca's summing noise like an antenna it was before I got the c-dsp but still worth mentioning. It was Glenn that figured out what was happening. That cable wasn't even connected to anything. I'm curious if the noise is still there when an external source is plugged directly into the processor. If no noise that should rule out everything downstream of the headunit. I consider myself lucky that I haven't had a noise issue that I couldn't quickly track down and fix in a very long time. My two GM trucks were NIGHTMARES. Never a real problem with my FCA vehicles and all I've had since 09.

Old 1 Week Ago   #13

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Zestforlife808 will become famous soon enoughZestforlife808 will become famous soon enoughZestforlife808 will become famous soon enoughZestforlife808 will become famous soon enoughZestforlife808 will become famous soon enoughZestforlife808 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
When I had a set of rca's summing noise like an antenna it was before I got the c-dsp but still worth mentioning.
I also have a set danging behind the head unit.. but I don't *think* they're playing a role. I say that because I can disconnect all the inputs from the minidsp and the whine remains so long as the outputs are connected to the amp. With the inputs disconnected the loose cables are nowhere near the DSP.

Also a little clue I noticed is if I hit mute on the deck the whine continues, but if I mute the DSP through the REMOTE it mutes the whine. If I mute ALL inputs and outputs in the DSP software I STILL get whine. I'm assuming the remote mute engages a muting circuit that's independent of the software muting.

In my setup I have very slight hiss and a rather noticeable rpm based whine. I have the DSP and amp grounded in the trunk to the same bolt (sanded frame metal) which is 0 ohms to battery negative. The HU up front is grounded to the harness. I haven't run a ground cable to the trunk because I'm getting whine even without the HU.

I wrote minidsp tech support and they suggested grabbing DC from somewhere else. I am currently running it off the yellow from the harness up front. I am skeptical this is the issue because I've also run the unit off their minidch isolator and still have the whine.

I'm suspecting a classic ground loop but the DSP and amp are connected to the same good ground. Also, the entire point of isolated DC is supposed to prevent a ground loop right? Either way, I do have a jensen GLI but haven't had time to put it in yet.

I guess my questions for the others mini owners are
1) where is your stuff grounded (HU, DSP, AMP)
2) where are you getting power from?
3) do you have any other wires connected like rem in and out?
4) can you test continuity between power supply ground and output RCA shield with *all* RCAs disconnected? (it's a real PITA to do this on my car and it's the one thing I didn't meter, but my understanding is there should be NO continuity if the DC is isolated as claimed)
Old 1 Week Ago   #14

DIYMA freshman

I'm pulling 12v, antenna (remote) and ground all from oem HU. Have the remote jumpered to the amp. 12v to amp directly from battery, and amp grounded to body.

Had a hissing issue at first, but after proper gain setting, that went away. I don't notice any noise from the dsp at all anymore.

I'm running high level from the oem HU speaker outs, so no input RCAs.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited by WifeyHatesMyHobby; 1 Week Ago at 03:55 PM.. Reason: More detail
Old 1 Week Ago   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zestforlife808 View Post
I also have a set danging behind the head unit.. but I don't *think* they're playing a role. I say that because I can disconnect all the inputs from the minidsp and the whine remains so long as the outputs are connected to the amp. With the inputs disconnected the loose cables are nowhere near the DSP.

Also a little clue I noticed is if I hit mute on the deck the whine continues, but if I mute the DSP through the REMOTE it mutes the whine. If I mute ALL inputs and outputs in the DSP software I STILL get whine. I'm assuming the remote mute engages a muting circuit that's independent of the software muting.

In my setup I have very slight hiss and a rather noticeable rpm based whine. I have the DSP and amp grounded in the trunk to the same bolt (sanded frame metal) which is 0 ohms to battery negative. The HU up front is grounded to the harness. I haven't run a ground cable to the trunk because I'm getting whine even without the HU.

I wrote minidsp tech support and they suggested grabbing DC from somewhere else. I am currently running it off the yellow from the harness up front. I am skeptical this is the issue because I've also run the unit off their minidch isolator and still have the whine.

I'm suspecting a classic ground loop but the DSP and amp are connected to the same good ground. Also, the entire point of isolated DC is supposed to prevent a ground loop right? Either way, I do have a jensen GLI but haven't had time to put it in yet.

I guess my questions for the others mini owners are
1) where is your stuff grounded (HU, DSP, AMP)
2) where are you getting power from?
3) do you have any other wires connected like rem in and out?
4) can you test continuity between power supply ground and output RCA shield with *all* RCAs disconnected? (it's a real PITA to do this on my car and it's the one thing I didn't meter, but my understanding is there should be NO continuity if the DC is isolated as claimed)
Dangling rca's can still cause noise in your case. I had the same thing happen but had the PPI dsp88r installed. Got rid of that unused cable and the noise went away. When I had an aftermarket headunit everything was grounded at the block with the amps INCLUDING the headunit. In my Grand Cherokee the factory amp and headunit ground are as they were from the factory but everything else is going to the same ground which happens to be straight to the battery because it's such a short run to it being inside the vehicle cabin. In my Ram I was grounded under the passenger seat near where the seat bolts into the floor. Never an issue that wasn't a careless oversight by the installer...the installer being me, myself, and I.

Old 1 Week Ago   #16

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
I'm pulling 12v, antenna (remote) and ground all from oem HU. Have the remote jumpered to the amp. 12v to amp directly from battery, and amp grounded to body.

Had a hissing issue at first, but after proper gain setting, that went away. I don't notice any noise from the dsp at all anymore.

I'm running high level from the oem HU speaker outs, so no input RCAs.

Hmm.. I originally had it that way. When I moved the DSP ground from the harness to the amp ground it got better but the whine is still there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
Dangling rca's can still cause noise in your case. I had the same thing happen but had the PPI dsp88r installed. Got rid of that unused cable and the noise went away. When I had an aftermarket headunit everything was grounded at the block with the amps INCLUDING the headunit. In my Grand Cherokee the factory amp and headunit ground are as they were from the factory but everything else is going to the same ground which happens to be straight to the battery because it's such a short run to it being inside the vehicle cabin. In my Ram I was grounded under the passenger seat near where the seat bolts into the floor. Never an issue that wasn't a careless oversight by the installer...the installer being me, myself, and I.
If the GLI doesn't do the trick I guess I will be ripping everything apart to separate that cable..... that suuuuuuucks. At the same time since everything will be apart I'll run a 10 gauge from the HU to the amp ground. Do you happen to recall if your noise persisted even with all the inputs disconnected from the PPI DSP?
Old 1 Week Ago   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Don't remember. Been a couple years. I know I needed outside help to figure it out. When you rip everything out make sure you go back in one piece at a time and test for noise with each step.

Old 1 Week Ago   #18

DIYMA freshman

well i adjusted my gains and that took care of the hiss and I removed a unplugged RCA and my alternator whine is all but gone. SO YAYYY!!!! Thanks Hillbilly you've helped me so much!!! Now i get to try to figure out how use this thing!!! Any tips would be appreciated (keep in mind I'm not a professional installer by any means , in fact I'm very green). Thanks everyone for posting on this thread. Hope you get yours figured out Zest and anyone else that has this issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to unfknblvbl For This Useful Post:
WifeyHatesMyHobby (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #19

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfknblvbl View Post
well i adjusted my gains and that took care of the hiss and I removed a unplugged RCA and my alternator whine is all but gone. SO YAYYY!!!! Thanks Hillbilly you've helped me so much!!! Now i get to try to figure out how use this thing!!! Any tips would be appreciated (keep in mind I'm not a professional installer by any means , in fact I'm very green). Thanks everyone for posting on this thread. Hope you get yours figured out Zest and anyone else that has this issue.
Glad you got that all sorted out!

Remember to be patient and don't be afraid to try different settings in REW to see what works best. It will take a good amount of time to get it perfect, but just experiment and take lots of notes. As long as you keep saving your work, it's always easy to go back to a previous set up. Stay organized and stay positive!

Old 1 Week Ago   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Quote:
Glad you got that all sorted out!

Remember to be patient and don't be afraid to try different settings in REW to see what works best. It will take a good amount of time to get it perfect, but just experiment and take lots of notes. As long as you keep saving your work, it's always easy to go back to a previous set up. Stay organized and stay positive!

And limit the tuning sessions to about half an hour or so. Beyond that I start moving the wrong direction

Old 1 Week Ago   #21

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfknblvbl View Post
Awesome! Thanks for checking in. I've read so many of these threads that end without a resolution. Wish I understood the science behind the loose RCA cable interference just for my own knowledge. I get that it acts like a big antenna, but when it's disconnected from the DSP along with all of the other inputs and whine remains, the only explanation I can think of is that it's somehow passing that interference into the power and ground lines?? haha oh well, guess I'll find out soon enough.

I guess I should also add that the GLI did not help on either the inputs or the outputs. Which I guess is to be expected given that an isolated DC-DC converter also did not work. Looking more and more like the RCA cable is the culprit. Fingers crossed.
Old 1 Week Ago   #22

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 baders will become famous soon enoughbaders will become famous soon enoughbaders will become famous soon enoughbaders will become famous soon enoughbaders will become famous soon enoughbaders will become famous soon enough

I also have experienced electrical noise using the C-DSP 6x8. Not just alternator whine, but even the fuel and SMG pumps could be heard. A major part of that was the crappy Chinese HU, but even with the Kenwood DDX9017 installed, some noise could still be heard. I tried redoing all grounds to a single point, installing a ground loop isolator and noise suppressor, quality RCAs, RCAs no-where near power, ran a separate relay for remote on of all units, made sure NO unplugged RCAs remained. All to no avail.

Removal of the C-DSP 6x8 solved all that.
baders is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #23

DIYMA freshman

What I don't understand is , Why the hell is everyone saying such good things about them if so many people are having issues with them?
Old 1 Week Ago   #24

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 baders will become famous soon enoughbaders will become famous soon enoughbaders will become famous soon enoughbaders will become famous soon enoughbaders will become famous soon enoughbaders will become famous soon enough

Because I believe for those that can get them working without noise, they have very good features and tuneability for the price point.
baders is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #25

DIYMA freshman

Well I'm stumped.

I tore the whole car apart and...

1) separated the loose rca cable from the bundle
2) ran a 10 gauge and grounded the HU and misc accessories (steering wheel control, backup camera, parking bypass, etc) to the amp/DSP ground in the trunk.

It's not any better or worse. Everything I've done suggests the noise is coming directly into the Minidsp and not the RCA cables or the ground. The only thing I can possibly fathom is the power itself. The yellow wire is carrying the noise or maaaaaaaaybe the tweeter speaker wires themselves??

No... it can't be the tweeter wires because there's no noise with my iphone to the amp inputs. Anyone have any other suggestions? I'm about to go helix shopping.

Alternator noise is unwanted AC ripple right? How do I test for that? Set the meter to AC and put one end on the DSP yellow line and the other to ground?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement