SB Satori.. safe in the doors? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 78 Got-Four-Eights will become famous soon enoughGot-Four-Eights will become famous soon enoughGot-Four-Eights will become famous soon enoughGot-Four-Eights will become famous soon enoughGot-Four-Eights will become famous soon enoughGot-Four-Eights will become famous soon enough

Default SB Satori.. safe in the doors?

Really want to try these. I have heard they are a nice improvement over the SB17 poly. Only thing holding me back is being in the doors and moisture problems. If I recall the dodge neon tilts the speaker and has a little umprella area over the tops of them. Worth the risk or find something else?

Alpine CDE-164BT and Fiio X5 Gen 3
Mosconi 8 to 12 Aerospace DSP
Mosconi AS 200.2 - Morel MT23
Mosconi AS 200.2 - SB Acoustics Poly 6.5"
Mosconi AS 200.2 - JL 12W6V3 (sealed)
Got-Four-Eights is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 87 captainscarlett will become famous soon enoughcaptainscarlett will become famous soon enoughcaptainscarlett will become famous soon enoughcaptainscarlett will become famous soon enoughcaptainscarlett will become famous soon enoughcaptainscarlett will become famous soon enoughcaptainscarlett will become famous soon enough

Default Re: SB Satori.. safe in the doors?

There's always those door pod things. People usually cut the bottom half away

https://www.crutchfield.com/shopsear...r_Baffles.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineball View Post
xtc baffles from crutchfield

mounted

captainscarlett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 251 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

I have a pair of XTC baffles that I decided not to use. The foam is so thick that it doesn't look like you could compress it enough to get a good bite with screws if the bolt circle isn't far enough out.

'14 Grand Cherokee Limited, OEM U-Connect 8.4a, JL Fix 82, c-dsp 6x8, Arc xdi1200.6v2, Soundstream pn4.520d, stock rears controlled properly by minidsp 2x4 with rear fill plug-in, ID15v3, SB Acoustics SB17NRXC35-4, Seas Neo Aluminum...Rearfill done properly is a helluva drug!
Hillbilly SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 1 Week Ago   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 78 Got-Four-Eights will become famous soon enoughGot-Four-Eights will become famous soon enoughGot-Four-Eights will become famous soon enoughGot-Four-Eights will become famous soon enoughGot-Four-Eights will become famous soon enoughGot-Four-Eights will become famous soon enough

With those installed you think it would be safe?

Old 1 Week Ago   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 251 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Should be. Humidity is another factor though. I hear Houston is a sauna.

'14 Grand Cherokee Limited, OEM U-Connect 8.4a, JL Fix 82, c-dsp 6x8, Arc xdi1200.6v2, Soundstream pn4.520d, stock rears controlled properly by minidsp 2x4 with rear fill plug-in, ID15v3, SB Acoustics SB17NRXC35-4, Seas Neo Aluminum...Rearfill done properly is a helluva drug!
Old 1 Week Ago   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
Should be. Humidity is another factor though. I hear Houston is a sauna.
It is.... another worry for me. Really want to try those Satori lol

Old 1 Week Ago   #7
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Rep Power: 210 SkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to all

you can always use some of that rustoleum waterproofing spray

SkizeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 66 1fishman will become famous soon enough1fishman will become famous soon enough1fishman will become famous soon enough1fishman will become famous soon enough1fishman will become famous soon enough1fishman will become famous soon enough

Going on 3 years in the doors our spare van. They still sound great and look good.

It gets pretty humid in GA and the van hasn't had working AC for practically the whole time.
1fishman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #9

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 Skinny Puppy will become famous soon enoughSkinny Puppy will become famous soon enoughSkinny Puppy will become famous soon enoughSkinny Puppy will become famous soon enoughSkinny Puppy will become famous soon enoughSkinny Puppy will become famous soon enough

Put some dielectric grease on the magnet and wire terminals. Anything that isn't well painted etc. My focal flax are in harsh Canadian winters, fall, rainy spring etc. They're going strong with two years of exposure. If the price is right do it. Also I've seen people make a little roof over the speaker out of sound deadening that directs any falling water away from the motor etc.
Skinny Puppy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 148 Bayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to behold

Had the 6.5" Satoris in my doors and I live in "tropical" Florida. Not a single issue and the build quality is top notch. Not a fan of low Qts mids in doors, but the Satori delivers.

05 Taco- 80prs//Helix DSP//PDX F4 >> Titan 8"/ PDX V9 >> ND20FA-6, SB65WBAC25-4, RSS265HO-4
Bayboy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayboy View Post
Had the 6.5" Satoris in my doors and I live in "tropical" Florida. Not a single issue and the build quality is top notch. Not a fan of low Qts mids in doors, but the Satori delivers.
Heh yeah I've had speakers look kinda weathered from humidity but never a problem either. Agree on not being a fan of low qts in doors. Played the 1812 Overture with the real cannons the other day and my plain SB paper 6.5's crossed at 80hz felt like they were moving like a high excursion sub. Don't think they got hurt but after hearing the tm65 mk2's in Nick's car without a highpass on them and going up to 2500hz I'm sold on them! Cross at 70ish and let 'em eat!

Old 1 Week Ago   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 87 captainscarlett will become famous soon enoughcaptainscarlett will become famous soon enoughcaptainscarlett will become famous soon enoughcaptainscarlett will become famous soon enoughcaptainscarlett will become famous soon enoughcaptainscarlett will become famous soon enoughcaptainscarlett will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Not a fan of low Qts mids in doors, but the Satori delivers.
Why not?
Old 6 Days Ago   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 148 Bayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainscarlett View Post
Why not?
In general, performance below 100hz is a bit lackluster although some have provided better midrange performance from 200hz and up.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

05 Taco- 80prs//Helix DSP//PDX F4 >> Titan 8"/ PDX V9 >> ND20FA-6, SB65WBAC25-4, RSS265HO-4
Old 6 Days Ago   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Quote:
In general, performance below 100hz is a bit lackluster although some have provided better midrange performance from 200hz and up.

And where does having a low qts fall into this?
Old 6 Days Ago   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Being rhetorical huh. Well, I won't bother. Figured that's where you were going. Smh

Old 6 Days Ago   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Not at all. for me it's getting beyond the theory of high and low q being the antithesis for any kind of performance. So as the earlier example of high Q somehow being a priority for IB, then why do people use Dyn's for IB successfully? So in the same stream, and especially considering q isn't a constant, why are low q speakers no good for door use?
Old 6 Days Ago   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Never said that. My exact words were "I'm not a fan". My experience isn't guaranteed to be the same as others and I don't expect it to be just as there's others that share my view. It's obvious that you have quite an understanding of it all, so I'm not getting your point.

Old 6 Days Ago   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

I consider my SB woofers "low q" with an fs in the low 30's. The midbass is incredible with great midrange too. I think excursion limitations is the killer for them. You can only push them so hard before they run out of throw. Through tons of personal experience I won't cross any normal 6.5" below 80hz when IB in doors. Some do better than others with lower cross points but why push something lower than it needs to go when there's a bigger speaker (subwoofer) to cleanly take over and still sound like it's sitting on the dash? I don't buy into the need to cross a 6.5" lower than it wants to go just to keep the bass up front as long as it isn't crossed higher than around 80.

Old 6 Days Ago   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Plenty do and are fine with it. I've played with enough to know what I desire for myself. Could go further, but not a big deal.

Old 5 Days Ago   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

People need to go beyond arbitrary factors like Q, SD, Xmax and other singular parameters, to the point where there might be factors that some heaven't even considered .... to how good or bad the final results are.

To chime in and say; my experience with A has been X ... is a super simplistic and almost random statement. For example, I would have gone along with the mass thinking that SD is a determining factor for output, had it not been for experience of changing 2 x 10" subs for a singular 10" Sundown E-10 install. https://surfandsound.wordpress.com/2...roject-update/

In the correct install and alignment, the dual 10" might well of held its own or even bettered the single Sundown, however on this occasion, even with the dual set up having a greater SD than the single Sundown, the Sundown still came out the winner.

The antithesis of this problem is that falsehoods are then continually perpetuated, Low q is for ported, high Q for sealed or IB ... then you get a sub like the Dynaudio 1200 that somewhat smashes that theory. And one has to admit, those falsehood are very much perpetuated!!!

As I've said before, the truth is that Q isn't a constant, as are many other factors of any T/S parameters, so why people fascinate on them is curious at best.

All the best. I'll leave you to it.
Old 5 Days Ago   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Really? So you feel that your point of debate is that someone used brand X and loved it, therefore my liking or dislike of another product or particular parameter is invalid? LOL That is why I didn't bother going deeper because you don't want my opinion, explanation, or even detail of measurement during use. You simply want to debate when I clearly have stated that it is quite subjective. Knew that from the beginning when you posed the question... so yes, please leave me/us or whoever to it.

Last edited by Bayboy; 5 Days Ago at 01:30 PM..
Old 5 Days Ago   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Interesting.. my regular 6.5" SB are at 63hz and doing well.. RTA shows it as well. Strange as most of hte competitive guys I know even with a 6.5 will cross low in doors. I have argued this cutoff with him as I wanted it closer to 70 but when a guy has 20+ trophies and world final wins under his belt its hard to argue lol.

Old 5 Days Ago   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got-Four-Eights View Post
Interesting.. my regular 6.5" SB are at 63hz and doing well.. RTA shows it as well. Strange as most of hte competitive guys I know even with a 6.5 will cross low in doors. I have argued this cutoff with him as I wanted it closer to 70 but when a guy has 20+ trophies and world final wins under his belt its hard to argue lol.
But can he get it loud enough to run you out of the car? And some 6.5's are better at playing low than others. On top of that sealed pods can help. Tons of extra door treatment can help a ton. Too many variables to determine where any of the hundreds of 6.5" options should be crossed with any given vehicle and install. My SB's would be fine crossed at 60 for a demo tune. For a daily tune not so much. The Badyear Fortera is a pretty noisy tire and I choose not to gut my vehicles for a full sound deadening job.

Old 5 Days Ago   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got-Four-Eights View Post
Don't know what to tell you. Maybe your doors are very advantageous to those mids and may work well with the Satoris. In my 05 Tacoma, that wasn't happening despite trying different tunes to test their limits. RTA shows them dropping sharply around 90hz in my doors. The TM65 starting dropping off around 110-120hz. My trusty Jamos could get far below, but mechanical handling is reached before getting to "jam out" levels. They're not great efficiency-wise. It wasn't until I put a set of 8" (albeit much cheaper quality) in the doors could I get down to 60hz without issue, but that's still below the xover point of 70hz or so.

Old 4 Days Ago   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Cool Re: SB Satori.. safe in the doors?

Quote:
Really? So you feel that your point of debate is that someone used brand X and loved it, therefore my liking or dislike of another product or particular parameter is invalid? LOL That is why I didn't bother going deeper because you don't want my opinion, explanation, or even detail of measurement during use. You simply want to debate when I clearly have stated that it is quite subjective. Knew that from the beginning when you posed the question... so yes, please leave me/us or whoever to it.

Just don't believe in making benign, sweeping statements about individual parameters that aren't even constant. You seem to struggle with this for some reason and are getting upset, so i'll leave you to get outraged .... good luck with that. Plenty more important things in life to get upset about ...

Last edited by captainscarlett; 4 Days Ago at 11:56 AM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement