2 8s are hitting harder than my 13w7... - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5 Days Ago   #1

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 141 thisgsx will become famous soon enoughthisgsx will become famous soon enoughthisgsx will become famous soon enoughthisgsx will become famous soon enoughthisgsx will become famous soon enoughthisgsx will become famous soon enough

Default 2 8s are hitting harder than my 13w7...

Okay, I'm scratching my head here....I am currently taking my system out of my girlfriends car because she's going to get a new car. Her factory system is going back in. She had 2 8" Dayton Audio Reference in a custom aero ported enclosure made to specs and an Alpine PDX-V9 powering it.
I removed the 13w7 and Gladen SPL1800C1 amp from my car and replaced it with the Alpine and Dayton's. Settings on my head unit were not changed at all. To my surprise, the Dayton's hit harder than my 13w7 at all volume levels. In fact I had to turn cut the subwoofer level by -10 and even then, it still hit harder than my 13w7.
Anyone have ideas as to why? The 13w7 should've annihilated​ the Dayton's, but it's not. Weird. The 13w7 is also in a custom aero ported enclosure built to specs and both enclosures were built by the same guy. Thoughts?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

'07 FJ Cruiser, Pioneer AVH-5800BHS, Seas Lotus Reference RT27F, 8" Seas Excel w22ex001 midwoofer, 1 JL Audio 13w7, knuconceptz cables
thisgsx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 5 Days Ago   #2
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 26 will. will become famous soon enoughwill. will become famous soon enoughwill. will become famous soon enoughwill. will become famous soon enoughwill. will become famous soon enoughwill. will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 2 8s are hitting harder than my 13w7...

Similar surface area with ported box efficiency and low excursion requirements to achieve high output

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
will. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 5 Days Ago   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 251 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

How were the two enclosures aimed?

'14 Grand Cherokee Limited, OEM U-Connect 8.4a, JL Fix 82, c-dsp 6x8, Arc xdi1200.6v2, Soundstream pn4.520d, stock rears controlled properly by minidsp 2x4 with rear fill plug-in, ID15v3, SB Acoustics SB17NRXC35-4, Seas Neo Aluminum...Rearfill done properly is a helluva drug!
Hillbilly SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 5 Days Ago   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 251 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by will. View Post
Similar surface area with ported box efficiency and low excursion requirements to achieve high output

In the OP it says the 13w7 was also ported to specs.

'14 Grand Cherokee Limited, OEM U-Connect 8.4a, JL Fix 82, c-dsp 6x8, Arc xdi1200.6v2, Soundstream pn4.520d, stock rears controlled properly by minidsp 2x4 with rear fill plug-in, ID15v3, SB Acoustics SB17NRXC35-4, Seas Neo Aluminum...Rearfill done properly is a helluva drug!
Old 5 Days Ago   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 81 DC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enough

When I had my DD 2508ESP I tried a 12W6 and 12W7. The 8 had them in overall output but both the JLs had flatter range. And the 8 was on 2x the power.
DC/Hertz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 5 Days Ago   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 148 Bayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to beholdBayboy is a splendid one to behold

That's impressive

05 Taco- 80prs//Helix DSP//PDX F4 >> Titan 8"/ PDX V9 >> ND20FA-6, SB65WBAC25-4, RSS265HO-4
Bayboy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 5 Days Ago   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC/Hertz View Post
When I had my DD 2508ESP I tried a 12W6 and 12W7. The 8 had them in overall output but both the JLs had flatter range. And the 8 was on 2x the power.
Maybe the Dayton 8's have a peak right in the punch zone making them seem louder. 40-50hz? Even if they model flat cabin gain will mess that all up anyway guaranteed

Old 5 Days Ago   #8
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Rep Power: 210 SkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to all

i have a hard time believing this.. the w7's slam. also, were gains on both amps set to the same output?

SkizeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 5 Days Ago   #9

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 141 thisgsx will become famous soon enoughthisgsx will become famous soon enoughthisgsx will become famous soon enoughthisgsx will become famous soon enoughthisgsx will become famous soon enoughthisgsx will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
How were the two enclosures aimed?
The 13w7; sub up ports back. The Dayton's; subs back ports back. Vehicle is a FJ Cruiser.

'07 FJ Cruiser, Pioneer AVH-5800BHS, Seas Lotus Reference RT27F, 8" Seas Excel w22ex001 midwoofer, 1 JL Audio 13w7, knuconceptz cables
Old 5 Days Ago   #10

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
i have a hard time believing this.. the w7's slam. also, were gains on both amps set to the same output?
Yeah me too! The gains were not touched at all. Nothing on the amp nor the head unit was changed. It was only after there was too much bass from the Dayton's, that was when I had cut the bass level on my head unit. It was a straight swap from my girlfriend's car to mine. Even hearing it, I still can't believe that it hits harder than the 13w7.

Old 5 Days Ago   #11

DIYMA Novice

Quote:

Both are in ported enclosures built to specs.

Old 5 Days Ago   #12

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
Maybe the Dayton 8's have a peak right in the punch zone making them seem louder. 40-50hz? Even if they model flat cabin gain will mess that all up anyway guaranteed
Yeah who knows. Without a dsp like the minidsp with umik, it's hard to say.

Old 5 Days Ago   #13
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Rep Power: 210 SkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisgsx View Post
The 13w7; sub up ports back. The Dayton's; subs back ports back. Vehicle is a FJ Cruiser.
Quote:
The gains were not touched at all.
either of these could be it. the gains not being touched can be relevant because the two head units in either car could have different output voltages.. the one in your car being higher. who knows.

Old 5 Days Ago   #14

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
either of these could be it. the gains not being touched can be relevant because the two head units in either car could have different output voltages.. the one in your car being higher. who knows.
Could be, but probably not. Her head unit is the Pioneer avh5700bhs and mine is the avh5800bhs.

Old 5 Days Ago   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 81 DC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enough

There could also be a power difference with the W7 being SVC 3.
DC/Hertz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 5 Days Ago   #16

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 72 street.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enoughstreet.terror will become famous soon enough

The Dayton 8's have magic sauce in them. I'm serious. Mine should be garbage but they're fantastic haha

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

SQ confuzzles me
street.terror is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 5 Days Ago   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 263 pocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond reputepocket5s has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

The 13w7 has roughly 50% more Sd than the 2 8's combined. When you factor in piston volume (Sd * xmax), it has a lot more (32mm vs 6mm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC/Hertz View Post
There could also be a power difference with the W7 being SVC 3.
It's actually dual 1.5, but yes, possible power difference but probably not enough to be overly meaningful.

Team MSE/JL Audio
2014 INAC Amateur runner up
2014/2015 MECA Modex OK state champion

Online Time Alignment Calculator
pocket5s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 5 Days Ago   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 52 dgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enough

If I use my experience with large home theater subwoofers, it is likely a power difference. The 13w7 should hit harder than a pair of 8s. An 18" hits harder than a pair of 15s but only if the power is right. Under power the 18 and the 15s win.
dgage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 5 Days Ago   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 65 bassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enough

Distortion.
bassfromspace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 5 Days Ago   #20
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfromspace View Post
Distortion.
problem with that is the dayton HO's are known to have very little distortion

Old 5 Days Ago   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 65 bassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enough

Quote:
problem with that is the dayton HO's are known to have very little distortion
Doesn't matter. The 8's would need to play pretty hard to match the output of a ported 13. Excess distortion is often perceived as louder.
bassfromspace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 5 Days Ago   #22
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 115 ARCuhTEK will become famous soon enoughARCuhTEK will become famous soon enoughARCuhTEK will become famous soon enoughARCuhTEK will become famous soon enoughARCuhTEK will become famous soon enoughARCuhTEK will become famous soon enough

Just brain storming... different ohms via wiring configuration from your Dayton set up vs the 13w7 thus your girlfriends set up is producing more wattage output by the amp due to impedance? Again...just a guess. I see that the 13w7 is D1.5, so I am guessing you have it wired for 1.5.... This is probably not the answer, but just trying to push the thought process forward...

ARCuhTEK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 5 Days Ago   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Maybe the FJ plays nicer with subs back port back than it does with sub up and port back? While I've only run sealed so far in my Grand Cherokee I can tell that the cabin reacts better to sub firing towards the rear than it does up to the roof. And yes I know sub up port back is a very common spl configuration.

Old 5 Days Ago   #24

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 90 EmptyKim will become famous soon enoughEmptyKim will become famous soon enoughEmptyKim will become famous soon enoughEmptyKim will become famous soon enoughEmptyKim will become famous soon enoughEmptyKim will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Sub positioning imo. Cabin gain from dayton subs and port facing back is my guess.
EmptyKim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 5 Days Ago   #25

DIYMA Novice

Yeah. It's a fun setup. My buddy came over for a listen and he agrees, these Dayton's for some reason are louder than my setup with the w7. Looks like I'll be having this setup in my car for a while. I fried my Gladen this last weekend while camping/fishing so it's going in for repair.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement