Curious about high pass/low pass filters on amps - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5 Days Ago   #1

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 32 dsw1204 will become famous soon enoughdsw1204 will become famous soon enoughdsw1204 will become famous soon enoughdsw1204 will become famous soon enoughdsw1204 will become famous soon enoughdsw1204 will become famous soon enough

Default Curious about high pass/low pass filters on amps

When I look at the crossover ability of amps, most (almost all) seem to have the same specs. And, by that, I mean the high pass crossover range is the same as the low pass crossover range. And, that range seems to be in the area of 50 hz - 500 hz.

How can the low pass range be the same as the high pass range at those frequencies? Doesn't that make the high pass crossover ranges useless? I mean, most tweeters low range frequencies usually are around what...2500 hz - 3500hz? But, if the amp's crossover range is 50 hz - 500 hz, that makes that high pass crossover range useless, doesn't it. You can't cross that low for a tweeter, right? So, why do amp manufacturers have that same range for high pass and low pass filters?

Or, am I looking at this all wrong?
dsw1204 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 5 Days Ago   #2

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 12 jku89 will become famous soon enoughjku89 will become famous soon enoughjku89 will become famous soon enoughjku89 will become famous soon enoughjku89 will become famous soon enoughjku89 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Curious about high pass/low pass filters on amps

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsw1204 View Post
When I look at the crossover ability of amps, most (almost all) seem to have the same specs. And, by that, I mean the high pass crossover range is the same as the low pass crossover range. And, that range seems to be in the area of 50 hz - 500 hz.

How can the low pass range be the same as the high pass range at those frequencies? Doesn't that make the high pass crossover ranges useless? I mean, most tweeters low range frequencies usually are around what...2500 hz - 3500hz? But, if the amp's crossover range is 50 hz - 500 hz, that makes that high pass crossover range useless, doesn't it. You can't cross that low for a tweeter, right? So, why do amp manufacturers have that same range for high pass and low pass filters?

Most have a button that will multiple the crossover times 10 so the hpf in your example would go from 500-5000. Now not all amps can do that, but most of the ones I've seen do

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
jku89 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 5 Days Ago   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 62 Jepalan will become famous soon enoughJepalan will become famous soon enoughJepalan will become famous soon enoughJepalan will become famous soon enoughJepalan will become famous soon enoughJepalan will become famous soon enoughJepalan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
^^^ this.

The LP/HP point on an amp is (typically) meant for splitting freqs between a sub and everything else.

Example: Sub channel plays everything 80Hz and lower, component of coaxial channels play everything 80Hz and higher.

The filters on amps aren't (typically) designed for full active mode (separate channel for tweets, mids, woofs, subs).

>signature goes here<
Jepalan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 5 Days Ago   #4

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 12 jku89 will become famous soon enoughjku89 will become famous soon enoughjku89 will become famous soon enoughjku89 will become famous soon enoughjku89 will become famous soon enoughjku89 will become famous soon enough

Some amps can go full active...both my amps have options for bandpass...most a/b amps have a bandpass option

Old 5 Days Ago   #5

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 32 dsw1204 will become famous soon enoughdsw1204 will become famous soon enoughdsw1204 will become famous soon enoughdsw1204 will become famous soon enoughdsw1204 will become famous soon enoughdsw1204 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jku89 View Post
Some amps can go full active...both my amps have options for bandpass...most a/b amps have a bandpass option

One reason why I bought my Arc Audio KS900.6 was because the crossover range stated in the online manual was 55 hz - 5500 hz. But, when I received said amp and when I looked at the back of the amp, the crossover range as noted by the buttons is actually 55 hz - 550 hz. So, I called up Arc Audio and talked to a tech person. He said there was a 10x button on the back, but I told him there is none. He looked and saw I was right and said the manual was wrong. It was misprinted. That's kind of weird because that amp was introduced well over ten years ago (I think) and nobody caught that "misprint" all this time? Just thought that as odd.
Old 5 Days Ago   #6

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
One reason why I bought my Arc Audio KS900.6 was because the crossover range stated in the online manual was 55 hz - 5500 hz. But, when I received said amp and when I looked at the back of the amp, the crossover range as noted by the buttons is actually 55 hz - 550 hz. So, I called up Arc Audio and talked to a tech person. He said there was a 10x button on the back, but I told him there is none. He looked and saw I was right and said the manual was wrong. It was misprinted. That's kind of weird because that amp was introduced well over ten years ago (I think) and nobody caught that "misprint" all this time? Just thought that as odd.
Oh wow that is crazy! I know for sure one of my amps has the button since I'm not using my dsp for those channels...now I'm curios about my main amp haha I'm going to have to look

Old 5 Days Ago   #7

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 disconnected will become famous soon enoughdisconnected will become famous soon enoughdisconnected will become famous soon enoughdisconnected will become famous soon enoughdisconnected will become famous soon enoughdisconnected will become famous soon enough

4khz highpass crossover, on my amp.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 5 Days Ago   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 190 sqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the rough

Most people run subs and coax or components, so all they need is a sub low pass and high pass the rest at a similar frequency. Lot of people on this site run active tweets, but most people do not. If you do that you may have a HU that can do active 3 way, or a processor, and not need the amp to do it anyway. When I ran 3 way I didn't like the idea of digging in the trunk to mess with a xover, I always got a processor to do it in front....even rather have that with 2 way. But you never know when you may need it, and could be nice to have it on the amp. Plus some people run a big EQ and use that to fine tune and don't mess with xovers.

Pioneer 880PRS~boston comps/alpine coax on Kappa 4 Z~back to Alpine mrd-m500 v12 on pyle 15s IB
sqshoestring is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 5 Days Ago   #9

DIYMA Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post

4khz highpass crossover, on my amp.
Is that an Arc amp? Which model?
Old 4 Days Ago   #10

DIYMA freshman

One has has the x10 button and the other has 20-4k

Sponsored Links
Advertisement