JBL MS-8 still the king? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4 Days Ago   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 4 OKCarver will become famous soon enoughOKCarver will become famous soon enoughOKCarver will become famous soon enoughOKCarver will become famous soon enoughOKCarver will become famous soon enoughOKCarver will become famous soon enough

Default JBL MS-8 still the king?

So just wondering, is the JBL MS-8 still the NOOB autotune DSP champion. Or have any new additions unseated it. Simple 2-way setup with no prior DSP experience. Is my understanding this unit could get you 90% of the way to audio nirvana easy peasy.
OKCarver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Days Ago   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 126 naiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enough

Default Re: JBL MS-8 still the king?

For Autotune, unless there is something else out there then yep. I don't think there are any other options at the moment.

A tablet, a DSP, some amps, speakers and a suitcase
naiku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Days Ago   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 123 Lycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura about

90 percent is probably optimistic..75 is more likely, but its a good starting point and a nice simple way to learn about eq. the problem is, when you want to go further..you cant because of the set up and auto tune limitations

"you will need to use all 31 bands on the eq, qualifying a speaker as better cause you feel it needs lesser eq just means you're not listening closely enough."
Lycancatt is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 4 Days Ago   #4

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 4 OKCarver will become famous soon enoughOKCarver will become famous soon enoughOKCarver will become famous soon enoughOKCarver will become famous soon enoughOKCarver will become famous soon enoughOKCarver will become famous soon enough

Thanks guys. Exactly Lycancatt, because I bought a Mosconi 4to6, but the manual scares the shot out of me. I was going to have it installed and tuned, but to make changes as the speakers get worn in is a daunting thought. I guess we all have to start somewhere, but the thought of easing into it with a Ms-8 is very appealing. Could keep the Mosconi until I'm ready to tackle the commitment of a more dedicated DSP tweeker selection. I could also get lucky, enjoy the sound in my daily driver enough and just sell the Mosconi. The choices we face.
Old 4 Days Ago   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 67 1fishman will become famous soon enough1fishman will become famous soon enough1fishman will become famous soon enough1fishman will become famous soon enough1fishman will become famous soon enough1fishman will become famous soon enough

There was talk that Andy's was working on the next level autotuning DSP, for Audio Frog.
I'm guessing it may see the light of day next year but i don't really no.
1fishman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Days Ago   #6

DIYMA freshman

Funny you mentioned that, because the last time I was in Car Toys Tulsa, the sales guy said Andy was a great friend, and he might be able to get a hint NEEWW hint DSP directly from Audiofrog and might just be able to get Andy to install it personally. I was like, yea, Right wouldn't that be COOOL. Left him my E-mail and never heard back from him. Go figure.
The Following User Says Thank You to OKCarver For This Useful Post:
Jlugo360 (3 Days Ago)
Old 4 Days Ago   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 67 1fishman will become famous soon enough1fishman will become famous soon enough1fishman will become famous soon enough1fishman will become famous soon enough1fishman will become famous soon enough1fishman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCarver View Post
Funny you mentioned that, because the last time I was in Car Toys Tulsa, the sales guy said Andy was a great friend, and he might be able to get a hint NEEWW hint DSP directly from Audiofrog and might just be able to get Andy to install it personally. I was like, yea, Right wouldn't that be COOOL. Left him my E-mail and never heard back from him. Go figure.
Now that would be cool.

I wonder how he can keep giving so much great customer service and still have time to develope products. I think he may have clones.
1fishman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Days Ago   #8

DIYMA freshman

Right!!! I could then post praise here. It's a win, win. Was really upset when there was no response what so ever after getting, I have to admit a bit excited, on what I know was a super one in a million type long shot. But, so it goes.
The Following User Says Thank You to OKCarver For This Useful Post:
Middleby (3 Days Ago)
Old 4 Days Ago   #9
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMAddict

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Rep Power: 213 SkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to allSkizeR is a name known to all

Quote:
Right!!! I could then post praise here. It's a win, win. Was really upset when there was no response what so ever after getting, I have to admit a bit excited, on what I know was a super one in a million type long shot. But, so it goes.
There are audiofrog processors being made. There are some prototypes but they definitely won't let one go to a shops customer

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

SkizeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Days Ago   #10

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 6 JH1973 will become famous soon enoughJH1973 will become famous soon enoughJH1973 will become famous soon enoughJH1973 will become famous soon enoughJH1973 will become famous soon enoughJH1973 will become famous soon enough

I'm going all in with a mini DSP.No beginner units for me.I have 0 experience with running active and am heading into the abyss!! Lycancatt,you'll need to PM me your cell number for panic calls!!! LOL
JH1973 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to JH1973 For This Useful Post:
unix_usr (3 Days Ago)
Old 4 Days Ago   #11

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 79 josby will become famous soon enoughjosby will become famous soon enoughjosby will become famous soon enoughjosby will become famous soon enoughjosby will become famous soon enoughjosby will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
There are audiofrog processors being made. There are some prototypes but they definitely won't let one go to a shops customer
Also, everything I have read about them has not mentioned any autotune capability, since the OP mentioned that specifically.

My impression has been that his new DSP will offer better surround processing than the MS-8 did and way more adjustability, but no more autotune. It was a laudable idea but the majority of the questions in the MS-8 forum were related to the autotune so I wouldn't think he'd want a repeat of that. But I'll be thrilled if I'm wrong on that.

I think it would be clever to buy a used MS-8, get a good autotune out of it, then analyze its output with a laptop when fed a known input to see what it's doing to the signal, then replicate all that (minus the Logic7) in some other, more flexible, DSP and sell the MS-8. You could probably buy and sell the MS-8 for a wash. Then you could try manualy tuning the new DSP to make things even better, but always be able to revert back to that "MS-8 copy" config if you screwed things up (or to confirm that you'd made an improvement).

2016 Civic Touring build log - current build status
josby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Days Ago   #12

DIYMA freshman

Good idea, Thanks.
Old 4 Days Ago   #13
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 16 dcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enough

It seems daunting at first but it didn't take long to get decent at it

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH1973 View Post
I'm going all in with a mini DSP.No beginner units for me.I have 0 experience with running active and am heading into the abyss!! Lycancatt,you'll need to PM me your cell number for panic calls!!! LOL
dcfis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Days Ago   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 135 I800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of light

I'm still a MS-8 believer. I think proper install goes a long way

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Don't mistake activity for accomplishment.
My '13 Jetta build...not finished
I800C0LLECT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Days Ago   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 31 drop1 will become famous soon enoughdrop1 will become famous soon enoughdrop1 will become famous soon enoughdrop1 will become famous soon enoughdrop1 will become famous soon enoughdrop1 will become famous soon enough

Learning to tune isn't as hard as some people would have you believe. Most of it is just measuring.
I've read though the bs in the ms8 thread of all sorts of little hacks and tricks to get it to work better.
By the time you've learned all these little manipulations you could have learned to just tune it your self.
Phase,levels, ta, eq. Not that hard.
drop1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Days Ago   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 135 I800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of lightI800C0LLECT is a glorious beacon of light

Most of those tricks aren't needed. I think the most useful one is "kaigoss method" ....i don't suggest any others

Don't mistake activity for accomplishment.
My '13 Jetta build...not finished
I800C0LLECT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Days Ago   #17

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 79 josby will become famous soon enoughjosby will become famous soon enoughjosby will become famous soon enoughjosby will become famous soon enoughjosby will become famous soon enoughjosby will become famous soon enough

Quote:
So just wondering, is the JBL MS-8 still the NOOB autotune DSP champion. Or have any new additions unseated it.
The only new DSP's I'm aware of that are currently in-production that have an autotune are the Helix ones (see attached doc). But I haven't seen any opinions on whether it works well or not. It's interesting that they have you move the mic the entire time it's doing its measurements, unlike the MS-8 where you measure from six positions around your head.
Attached Images
File Type: jpe helix.jpe (60.2 KB, 35 views)

Old 4 Days Ago   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 68 Elektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by josby View Post
The only new DSP's I'm aware of that are currently in-production that have an autotune are the Helix ones (see attached doc). But I haven't seen any opinions on whether it works well or not. It's interesting that they have you move the mic the entire time it's doing its measurements, unlike the MS-8 where you measure from six positions around your head.

I assume you need the MTK-1 for this function?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Elektra is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Days Ago   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 85 DC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enough

Audison has one but it's a dealer option
DC/Hertz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Days Ago   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 126 naiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by I800C0LLECT View Post
Most of those tricks aren't needed. I think the most useful one is "kaigoss method" ....I don't suggest any others
Agree completely, I did not use any tricks when using an MS8 and it sounded great. It's a great unit and I think looked down upon because of it being autotune, when in all honesty for a lot of people it works and works well. Honestly the only reason I sold mine was that used prices were really spiking at the time and I wanted to learn how to tune manually.

Learning to tune to that 90% or 75% or whatever percent is not that difficult, mostly just time consuming. I have read it many times on here but "trust your ears" really is worth repeating, if your system sounds good to you, then sit back and enjoy it. If you want to get that last little bit to take you to a 100% perfect tune, then you are either going to have to take it to someone or I suspect spend a huge amount of time learning and tweaking.

A tablet, a DSP, some amps, speakers and a suitcase
naiku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Days Ago   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 85 DC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enough

I had a hell of a time with the MS-8. It would boost the sub or be to low. It would have the center to far to the passenger side, basically at the pillar. It boosted the big hole I have on the passenger side 10db over almost an entire octave.

But once I figured out how to trick it it was golden. Absolutely perfect. Better then I could have done myself with my old Bit 1 with a more complicated setup that had more potential.
I would have got rid of it last year when I was having issues but I couldn't at the time.
My patience paid off
DC/Hertz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Days Ago   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 68 Elektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by I800C0LLECT View Post
Most of those tricks aren't needed. I think the most useful one is "kaigoss method" ....i don't suggest any others

Kaigoss?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Elektra is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Days Ago   #23

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektra View Post
I assume you need the MTK-1 for this function?
It appears that it can use any microphone as long as Windows sees it as a mic. But it doesn't appear to have any provision for loading a calibration file. The doc shows using an MTK-1, but specifically mentions that's "an example" so I think you could use other mics.

Old 3 Days Ago   #24

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektra View Post
Kaigoss?
Instead of making one MS-8 output a sub, you instead run your subs from the outputs that drive your front mids. This bypasses difficulties the MS-8 has setting sub volume in some cars/configurations.

It requires the amp for your sub and mids have a crossover to split the signal.

MS-8 bass tune is great in one of my cars but crap in the other no matter what I've tried, so I'm going to try Kaigoss soon.

Old 3 Days Ago   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 66 Elgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enough

Quote:
So just wondering, is the JBL MS-8 still the NOOB autotune DSP champion. Or have any new additions unseated it. Simple 2-way setup with no prior DSP experience. Is my understanding this unit could get you 90% of the way to audio nirvana easy peasy.
For total noobs yeah the ms-8 is still king imho (or even ms-2).
But for noobs+ there are some options from the home audio world with room corrections: not real auto-tune but more semi-auto with APL1 and Dirac.
Semi-auto since you need another device for a pre-tune with at least XO, levels and TA (could be with HU, dsp, passive combo).

Good things is, with a basic tune you already get a very nice improvement.
So you can easily test, adjust and learn on long term with different pre-tunes, while still enjoying it everyday.
And then once you get to a better base, they are absolutely incredible.

Horny Froggy...
Elgrosso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement