Trying to research an 8" mid-bass. A little help? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2008   #1

Banned

Rep Power: 0 tspence73 will become famous soon enoughtspence73 will become famous soon enoughtspence73 will become famous soon enoughtspence73 will become famous soon enoughtspence73 will become famous soon enoughtspence73 will become famous soon enough

Default Trying to research an 8" mid-bass. A little help?

Hey guys,

Searching for specific parameters for a midbass is a bit daunting. I've looked for hours trying to find one that will work within budget.

Okay, here are the parameters of what I'm looking for:

$200 or less for the pair.
8" midbass woofer design.
92db sesitivity @ 2.83v@1w/1m
150 to 175-watts RMS
4-ohms
Have a clean, controlled output from 50Hz to 250Hz @ it's RMS rating.
Free-air design (optimal) or small sealed of .5 cuft or less, (ie something that will work with a fiberglass door panel enclosure design)

The midbass will be not have the luxury of the amp doing a highpass, so it's either going to be high-passed using a passive filter @ probably 70Hz with a 12db/octave slope, or an F-Mod type RCA device in-line.

Does anyone with good knowledge of products know of a "fit"? I've honestly looked today and didn't want to ask but both google and here I've hit a dead-end many times.

Last edited by tspence73; 11-13-2008 at 05:10 PM..
tspence73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2008   #2

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 177 FoxPro5 will become famous soon enoughFoxPro5 will become famous soon enoughFoxPro5 will become famous soon enoughFoxPro5 will become famous soon enoughFoxPro5 will become famous soon enoughFoxPro5 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Trying to research an 8" mid-bass. A little help?

I know of a perfect midbass for you, but as it turns out the somabitch can only handle 149 watts and will only play in large pacifist-designed box (hates the violence of that bass air.) But best of luck with your search Ditt's beet farm
FoxPro5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2008   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 164 WLDock will become famous soon enoughWLDock will become famous soon enoughWLDock will become famous soon enoughWLDock will become famous soon enoughWLDock will become famous soon enoughWLDock will become famous soon enough

Here is an awesome 6.5" driver.
Brand New Mpyre 65M XBL^2 Mids and Crossovers- $110 Shipped CONUS
WLDock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 127 capnxtreme will become famous soon enoughcapnxtreme will become famous soon enoughcapnxtreme will become famous soon enoughcapnxtreme will become famous soon enoughcapnxtreme will become famous soon enoughcapnxtreme will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tspence73 View Post
92db sesitivity @ 2.83v@1w/1m
What the fuck does 2.83v@1w/1m mean?

Why are you so hung up on sensitivity and Power ratings, when you clearly don't understand them? Do you think, just maybe, that there's a reason why the experienced experts aren't hung up on the same pointless shit that you are?

2006 Civic Si Coupe w/ factory nav
capnxtreme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2008   #5

Banned

Rep Power: 0 tspence73 will become famous soon enoughtspence73 will become famous soon enoughtspence73 will become famous soon enoughtspence73 will become famous soon enoughtspence73 will become famous soon enoughtspence73 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnxtreme View Post
What the fuck does 2.83v@1w/1m mean?

Why are you so hung up on sensitivity and Power ratings, when you clearly don't understand them?
I'm just trying to match up a midbass to my other drivers. It won't hurt to have them matching. I'm just paranoid that at different volumes they are not going to sound correct together. Sensitivity is an indication of how efficient the driver is with each watt. It seems logical to me that if two speakers have unmatched sensitivity they may have radically different behavior when running the same wattage.

For instance, you get two speakers with similar design but unmatched sensitivity by 3db. Put one on your right channel and the other on your left channel. You might have them sounding decent together with a balance adjustment at volume 20, but when you crank it to volume 35 they need to be re-balanced again. See where I'm going with this? THAT is what I'm worried about when selecting a matching speaker.

So sue me for being paranoid.
Old 11-13-2008   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 332 azngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond repute

You know you can level match through gains right? I mean this is if you are running active and not mismatching components to a passive crossover
azngotskills is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2008   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Rep Power: 127 capnxtreme will become famous soon enoughcapnxtreme will become famous soon enoughcapnxtreme will become famous soon enoughcapnxtreme will become famous soon enoughcapnxtreme will become famous soon enoughcapnxtreme will become famous soon enough

So please explain how you are going to "match up" a "2.83v@1w/1m" sensitivity rating?

Paranoia FTW!

Old 11-13-2008   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Enthusiast

Quote:
Sensitivity is an indication of how efficient the driver is with each watt.
O RLY. So what does 2.83v@1w/1m mean?

Quote:
It seems logical to me
Slow down partner!!

Old 11-13-2008   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 332 azngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnxtreme View Post
So please explain how you are going to "match up" a "2.83v@1w/1m" sensitivity rating?
LMAO i didnt catch that hahah
azngotskills is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2008   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 221 t3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to all

Quote:
I'm just trying to match up a midbass to my other drivers. It won't hurt to have them matching. I'm just paranoid that at different volumes they are not going to sound correct together. Sensitivity is an indication of how efficient the driver is with each watt. It seems logical to me that if two speakers have unmatched sensitivity they may have radically different behavior when running the same wattage.

For instance, you get two speakers with similar design but unmatched sensitivity by 3db. Put one on your right channel and the other on your left channel. You might have them sounding decent together with a balance adjustment at volume 20, but when you crank it to volume 35 they need to be re-balanced again. See where I'm going with this? THAT is what I'm worried about when selecting a matching speaker.

So sue me for being paranoid.
Doesn't work that way. If it did, horns could only be mated to 18" woofers.
t3sn4f2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2008   #11

Rep Power: 244 ca90ss has a reputation beyond reputeca90ss has a reputation beyond reputeca90ss has a reputation beyond reputeca90ss has a reputation beyond reputeca90ss has a reputation beyond reputeca90ss has a reputation beyond reputeca90ss has a reputation beyond reputeca90ss has a reputation beyond reputeca90ss has a reputation beyond reputeca90ss has a reputation beyond reputeca90ss has a reputation beyond repute

An 8" driver that will handle 150w at 50hz free-air........not gonna happen.
ca90ss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2008   #12

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca90ss View Post
An 8" driver that will handle 150w at 50hz free-air........not gonna happen.
Cool. So, I need to Build an enclosure then? Hmm. This at gives me a limitation factor I didn't expect and makes me weigh things differently. Perhaps then a midbass won't be necessary and I should just stick with my comps set at 120Hz highpass from the amp and try to get my subs to do the duty. Problem with that is, I don't know why, but I like having a little bass from the doors. Call me kooky, but having that seems to make it sound better, even if it's just a tactile or 'feel' effect.
Old 11-13-2008   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 114 mSaLL150 will become famous soon enoughmSaLL150 will become famous soon enoughmSaLL150 will become famous soon enoughmSaLL150 will become famous soon enoughmSaLL150 will become famous soon enoughmSaLL150 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to mSaLL150

Elemental Designs 9kv.2 in a small sealed enclosure.

I HATE when subs try to play midbass. Get some proper midbass drivers or cross your components lower.

2013 Focus ST - In Progress! - MyFordTouch - Audison - Phoenix Gold - Scanspeak - Dayton - Stereo Integrity
mSaLL150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2008   #14

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3sn4f2 View Post
Doesn't work that way. If it did, horns could only be mated to 18" woofers.
I just seems to have it stuck in my head that if the sensitivity doesn't match, it will not sound right. I know I can use the amp gain to match them up but I can't help but to think at different volumes/wattage points they will lose sync in their output at some point. It just seems to make sense, I mean, if one driver behaves differently in relation to Power input, why would you match it with another driver that outputs more efficiently per watt? Call me confused if that isn't the case.
Old 11-13-2008   #15

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mSaLL150 View Post
Elemental Designs 9kv.2 in a small sealed enclosure.

I HATE when subs try to play midbass. Get some proper midbass drivers or cross your components lower.
Isn't this considered a 'sub' though? So, are you recommending it or not?
Old 11-13-2008   #16

Bikinpunk

Rep Power: 25977 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by azngotskills View Post
You know you can level match through gains right? I mean this is if you are running active and not mismatching components to a passive crossover
x2

this is the benefit of having an active setup. it's essentially what the original members of this site founded the site on.

tspence, have you considered going active and ditching your quest to stay passive? no matter your reasons to not go active, I'm pretty sure you're going to solve a lot of your 'problems' if you allow yourself to drive each Speaker with it's own dedicated channel of power.

summary: go active. though you may learn a lot, you seem to be running in circles. from your posts I get the gist that you're not so much up for doing what you say you want to do (ie: Build a passive). save yourself the headache and at least try an active setup. the ability to mix and match drivers with much less effort will suit you VERY well.

-- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
http://medleysmusings.com/

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2008   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Rep Power: 0 Oliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enough

OK, her skin color doesn't matter , nor her height weight ,etc..,

Now take your pants off and get yer bean snapped !!!
Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2008   #18

Bikinpunk

Rep Power: 25977 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by a$$hole View Post
OK, her skin color doesn't matter , nor her height weight ,etc..,

Now take your pants off and get yer bean snapped !!!
i fucking hate rebecca pidgeon.

stupid spanish harlem roses. I got weeds growing in my gravel driveway. I like those more.

Follow my blog:

Time Delay Calculator:
Old 11-13-2008   #19

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinpunk View Post
x2

this is the benefit of having an active setup. it's essentially what the original members of this site founded the site on.

tspence, have you considered going active and ditching your quest to stay passive? no matter your reasons to not go active, I'm pretty sure you're going to solve a lot of your 'problems' if you allow yourself to drive each Speaker with it's own dedicated channel of power.

summary: go active. though you may learn a lot, you seem to be running in circles. from your posts I get the gist that you're not so much up for doing what you say you want to do (ie: Build a passive). save yourself the headache and at least try an active setup. the ability to mix and match drivers with much less effort will suit you VERY well.
Maybe you've missed my point in all this. I DO want to go active but still want to match sensitivity because it just seems 'wrong' not to. I would like some more information about how different speakers can not match in sensitivity and stay at similar volume as more wattage is applied. I just want to be sure.
Old 11-13-2008   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 221 t3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to all

Quote:
I just seems to have it stuck in my head that if the sensitivity doesn't match, it will not sound right. I know I can use the amp gain to match them up but I can't help but to think at different volumes/wattage points they will lose sync in their output at some point. It just seems to make sense, I mean, if one driver behaves differently in relation to Power input, why would you match it with another driver that outputs more efficiently per watt? Call me confused if that isn't the case.
When you lower the output of the louder driver you are giving it less power. After that, whatever gain you add to each is equal for both so output raises equally as well.
Old 11-13-2008   #21

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3sn4f2 View Post
When you lower the output of the louder driver you are giving it less power. After that, whatever gain you add to each is equal for both so output raises equally as well.
So, once you match the volume at one point all speakers will stay matched on the output regardless of the volume knob setting? I'm not saying you're wrong, my brain just doesn't want to accept that. Are there test graphs that show say the drivers in an active setup with a volume of 25% and then a volume of 50% or 75%? I would like to know for sure I'm not going to have a weird difference. Subs are one things but when you get into the mids it's a bit more critical to have consistency.
Old 11-13-2008   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Rep Power: 0 Oliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enough

Good call tspence ,

I walked out on a concert when the drummer got excited ... he was way louder than the rest of the band ... so i'm up on top of my seat yelling hey HEY you are maKING THE mU sIC NOT SOUND RITE

Then I left ... fuck him and the horse he rode in on !!
Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2008   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Quote:
So, once you match the volume at one point all speakers will stay matched on the output regardless of the volume knob setting? I'm not saying you're wrong, my brain just doesn't want to accept that. Are there test graphs that show say the drivers in an active setup with a volume of 25% and then a volume of 50% or 75%? I would like to know for sure I'm not going to have a weird difference. Subs are one things but when you get into the mids it's a bit more critical to have consistency.
Nope, no easy way of showing you this. Only way to clear that kind of doubt is through understanding, and that only comes from learning from the bottom up. Once you understand it that way, you'll be able to see it how you are looking to see it.
Old 11-13-2008   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 124 guitarsail will become famous soon enoughguitarsail will become famous soon enoughguitarsail will become famous soon enoughguitarsail will become famous soon enoughguitarsail will become famous soon enoughguitarsail will become famous soon enough

Do you see anyone else pissing and moaning this badly about sensitivity matching speakers??? That should answer your question...quit trying to wrap your brain around it and...it'll only make it hurt worse. Yeah its nice to have it close..but then again gains to kinda take care of that problem if used in the correct manner.

Team Blind Leading the sheep
Team 25% Dynamat Coverage
Team No Install
guitarsail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2008   #25

Bikinpunk

Quote:
Maybe you've missed my point in all this. I DO want to go active but still want to match sensitivity because it just seems 'wrong' not to. I would like some more information about how different speakers can not match in sensitivity and stay at similar volume as more wattage is applied. I just want to be sure.
You don't learn by reading. No offense, I'm somewhat the same way.

So, having said that, GO ACTIVE and quit worrying about it. You want to know how this works... the best way is to find out first hand. Your questions aren't getting the answer you want anymore because you're not asking anything new; rather asking the same thing a few different ways.

Do it. Quit wasting your time. Then you can have better understanding and you'll have learned something first hand. This is much more valuable than reading. In the 3 weeks you've been asking this stuff, you could've already implemented a small active setup in your home and ordered a few different $10 drivers from madisound and completed your own listening tests.

Follow my blog:

Time Delay Calculator:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement