LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2010   #76
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

Rep Power: 98 BoostedNihilist is a splendid one to beholdBoostedNihilist is a splendid one to beholdBoostedNihilist is a splendid one to beholdBoostedNihilist is a splendid one to beholdBoostedNihilist is a splendid one to beholdBoostedNihilist is a splendid one to beholdBoostedNihilist is a splendid one to beholdBoostedNihilist is a splendid one to beholdBoostedNihilist is a splendid one to beholdBoostedNihilist is a splendid one to beholdBoostedNihilist is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: I'm so confused - new Vanagon system

a virtual blank canvas

with doors that huge I might consider a passive 3 way setup up front.
BoostedNihilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010   #77

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 62 don_chuwish will become famous soon enoughdon_chuwish will become famous soon enoughdon_chuwish will become famous soon enoughdon_chuwish will become famous soon enoughdon_chuwish will become famous soon enoughdon_chuwish will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedNihilist View Post
with doors that huge I might consider a passive 3 way setup up front.
Shush!! He's made a choice on speakers, don't mess with the poor guy's head any more!

2007 Toyota Prius pkg #2
Road Noise Abatement, Audio Upgrades
don_chuwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010   #78

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
My garage
Position:
Lone guy

Rep Power: 62 Greg S will become famous soon enoughGreg S will become famous soon enoughGreg S will become famous soon enoughGreg S will become famous soon enoughGreg S will become famous soon enoughGreg S will become famous soon enough

Now I remember why I always had to set the speaker really low on these. If you do put the speaker where the map pocket is it will have to be spaced out to clear the limiter bar, as it runs pretty close to the inner door skin. With proper spacing and a lot of sound deadener those doors make a nice large chamer for the woofer. As for the tweeter I would not put it up in the stock location as it'll be very hard to balance the left and right sides with the un-equal path lengths between mid and tweeter. You would be better off placing it as close to the mid as possible and angling them up and back a little. The sound stage may be a little low but it will be more even.
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010   #79

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 57 hackaphile will become famous soon enoughhackaphile will become famous soon enoughhackaphile will become famous soon enoughhackaphile will become famous soon enoughhackaphile will become famous soon enoughhackaphile will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_chuwish View Post
Shush!! He's made a choice on speakers, don't mess with the poor guy's head any more!
LOL! I was already thinking hmmmmmm. But then I came to and reminded myself this is a Vanagon and a loud one at that.

Now to focus on where to put things, how to construct the enclosures, and figuring out the wiring of everything. I was hoping I'd buy at least one item from a business so I could add install stuff to the order. However, both drivers and amp were Ebay so I'll have to find somewhere to get the rest. Should need much, right? Its just an amp and four speakers.

I was hoping to do the sound deadening at the same time but that stuff is spendy. It really does needs some deadening done though. Do ya'll have prefered deadening products?
hackaphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010   #80

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 57 hackaphile will become famous soon enoughhackaphile will become famous soon enoughhackaphile will become famous soon enoughhackaphile will become famous soon enoughhackaphile will become famous soon enoughhackaphile will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
Now I remember why I always had to set the speaker really low on these. If you do put the speaker where the map pocket is it will have to be spaced out to clear the limiter bar, as it runs pretty close to the inner door skin. With proper spacing and a lot of sound deadener those doors make a nice large chamer for the woofer. As for the tweeter I would not put it up in the stock location as it'll be very hard to balance the left and right sides with the un-equal path lengths between mid and tweeter. You would be better off placing it as close to the mid as possible and angling them up and back a little. The sound stage may be a little low but it will be more even.
I was reading the manual from HAT and need some help understanding what they are talking about. Early in the discourse they were saying the Clarus should be installed to take advantage of the driver's ability to handle an 'infinite baffle' as long as the cavity (ie door) can be sealed to avoid rear pressure from canceling front pressure. Then it seems later on they are saying the mounting baffle should be sealed and it should be as small as possible. I guess what I'm confused about is the difference between their recommendation of the 'infinite baffle' of the door cavity and the importance of the size and security of the 'mounting baffle'. They say:

'in many cases, it is advisable to mount your Clarus midbass’ in high-stiffness wood or high-density fiberglass (or wood treated with fiberglass resin)....' and 'Once your baffle is built, it must be covered in one or two layers of a good-quality, brand name self-adhesive damping product' ???????

If I put them in the lower part of the door I can open the back end to the door cavity. However, there is no way to seal the cavity as there is a fresh air vent that routes from the dash to a register at the lower back edge of the door. To go down to the kick panel, which seems acoustically best, will require an enclosed pod with a certainty of a small volume. If I understand correctly, the small volume eclosure (baffle) will limit the low end output, right?

The next phase of discovery has begun. What do I do to optimize my install of the front stage?

BTW these companies should hire technical writers (grad students even) to edit their documentation so terms are not redundantly repeated and misused leading to compunctious confusion. lol
Old 02-05-2010   #81

DIYMA freshman

Here is a photo of the door frame. Plenty of room on the low position. Question!: How important is the aiming of the speaker? Is the 90° (flat) mount detrimental?

I can fit it in the kick space but eats nearly all the room beside the pedals. Doable, it seems, but tight.

I mocked up the butter container to approximate the enroute 6.5.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5612.jpg (117.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5613.jpg (122.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5616.jpg (106.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5617.jpg (121.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5618.jpg (124.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 02-05-2010   #82

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
My garage
Position:
Lone guy

Rep Power: 62 Greg S will become famous soon enoughGreg S will become famous soon enoughGreg S will become famous soon enoughGreg S will become famous soon enoughGreg S will become famous soon enoughGreg S will become famous soon enough

They just want the baffle to be as stiff and in-flexible as possible. What they are talking about with the infinite baffle set-up is that you should try to make sure none of the rear wave of the one can leak around to the front of the baffle. I don't think you'll be getting much bass at all with the woofers in the kick panel area. Just isn't much air space and if this speakers are designed for infinite baffle then they really need so space. The door will likely be the best bet. I would try to get them as far forward as possible and angle them up and back. This will require having them stick out from the door panel a bit due to the rubber chamber for the door guide though.
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010   #83

DIYMA freshman

Default Amp mounting?

Alright, I'm getting close to putting this all together. All parts in hand. RCAs were build last night. Ring terminals on the 4ga welding wire for power and ground. Angled baffles and new door panels 90% done.

I need some thoughts on mounting the amp. It is going to be mounted under the passenger seat which is directly above the front tire. There are copious vibrations as the suspension is rather stiff. Question: Would it be beneficial to mount it with some rubber bushings to reduce the shock to the amp. Am I over thinking this.

I've been snapping a few photos and will post a quasi build log when I get done.

TIA
Michael
Old 03-03-2010   #84
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 127 Mless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enough

Never hurts, I always use some sort of absorber and nuts with nylon inserts. Better safe than sorry.
Mless5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010   #85

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mless5 View Post
Never hurts, I always use some sort of absorber and nuts with nylon inserts. Better safe than sorry.
What exactly do you use. I've been looking at the hargware store, Fastenal, Blowes, Home Despot. Can't seem to find what I'd really like.
Old 03-03-2010   #86
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 154 sqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the rough

One time I mounted one on muffler hangars, the type with the rubber strap. Currently a buddy of mine gave me some isolators used under HVAC equipment, they are rubber and cork, I used those on my kicker. For most cars I don't worry.

Pioneer 880PRS~boston comps/alpine coax on Kappa 4 Z~back to Alpine mrd-m500 v12 on pyle 15s IB
sqshoestring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010   #87
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 127 Mless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enough

Look at grommets in auto store. I used small ones that we have at work, about cm in diameter, 1/2 cm thick.
Mless5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #88

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 cgarai will become famous soon enoughcgarai will become famous soon enoughcgarai will become famous soon enoughcgarai will become famous soon enoughcgarai will become famous soon enoughcgarai will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Amp mounting?

Hi,

I'm setting up the audio in an 87 Vanagon 2wd with a TDI motor in it as well. Curious if you ever posted a build log and how the project turned out.

Chris
cgarai is offline   Reply With Quote