LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2010   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

12V Company:
Dynamic Mobile Audio
Position:
Owner/Installer

Rep Power: 75 bigaudiofanatic will become famous soon enoughbigaudiofanatic will become famous soon enoughbigaudiofanatic will become famous soon enoughbigaudiofanatic will become famous soon enoughbigaudiofanatic will become famous soon enoughbigaudiofanatic will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to bigaudiofanatic Send a message via Yahoo to bigaudiofanatic

Question 2001 BMW 740 Wiring Help

I need help with the wiring of a BMW 740 series, first off do I need a JL clean sweep and mtx re-q for my new amps? OR is there wires to tap into that will be preouts? Any help would greatly appreciated.
bigaudiofanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

12V Company:
Dynamic Mobile Audio
Position:
Owner/Installer

Rep Power: 75 bigaudiofanatic will become famous soon enoughbigaudiofanatic will become famous soon enoughbigaudiofanatic will become famous soon enoughbigaudiofanatic will become famous soon enoughbigaudiofanatic will become famous soon enoughbigaudiofanatic will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to bigaudiofanatic Send a message via Yahoo to bigaudiofanatic

Default Re: 2001 BMW 740 Wiring Help

Anyone?
Old 03-04-2010   #3

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 60 DynaudioNut will become famous soon enoughDynaudioNut will become famous soon enoughDynaudioNut will become famous soon enoughDynaudioNut will become famous soon enoughDynaudioNut will become famous soon enoughDynaudioNut will become famous soon enough

I have a 1995 740IL which is set up a little different than yours due to the upgraded electronics in the newer models, but to make a long story short. If you don't plan on by passing the wiring set up in that car, take it to a reputable place and have it done correctly. Too many things that are interdependent on these babies...Good luck.
DynaudioNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

12V Company:
Dynamic Mobile Audio
Position:
Owner/Installer

I have done plenty of audio installs all I need is a diagram or some guidance for which wires to use. Doing the install is not the problem.
Old 03-05-2010   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Loyalist

Rep Power: 128 Mless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enough

Have you looked on e38.org?
Mless5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

12V Company:
Dynamic Mobile Audio
Position:
Owner/Installer

I have the closest thing I could find was this. Basslink install wire instructions
But I do not know if there is another option.
Old 03-06-2010   #7

DIYMA Novice

Rep Power: 67 danno14 will become famous soon enoughdanno14 will become famous soon enoughdanno14 will become famous soon enoughdanno14 will become famous soon enoughdanno14 will become famous soon enoughdanno14 will become famous soon enough

As I understand there are no wires that are the equivalent of preouts. More info here:

Mojo's Quick-N-Dirty™ E38 Subwoofer Installation Guide - Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum

Good luck!
danno14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010   #8

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
A Stereo Shop
Position:
Little bit of everything

Rep Power: 58 SomeGuy748 will become famous soon enoughSomeGuy748 will become famous soon enoughSomeGuy748 will become famous soon enoughSomeGuy748 will become famous soon enoughSomeGuy748 will become famous soon enoughSomeGuy748 will become famous soon enough

Your car is fiber optic and has a multi channel amp in it from BMW. The stock amp has speaker specific channels for each set of speakers in the car. If you are trying to add amps to power all the speakers in the car, yes, you will need something between the stock amp and your new amp so you can get full signal into the new amp. If you are simply adding a sub amp, you can grab the factory sub outputs off the BMW amp and use an LOC to convert to an RCA. This is a fairly complicated car to do a system in. I've worked on three of them in the last two months and each one was a pain.

Legal disclaimer... this is my own personal opinion that I have made from my own personal experience and based on my own personal tastes. At no time have I implied that anyone is wrong in their own opinions and you need to make a decision based on your own opinions.
SomeGuy748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

12V Company:
Dynamic Mobile Audio
Position:
Owner/Installer

Thank you for the information. Today I am working on installing the JL clean sweep. I came accost a problem. There are 3 brown wires one in which is probably power. but I am not sure which brown wire goes to which of the channels if you could help me with this it would be much appreciated.

Old 03-07-2010   #10

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
A Stereo Shop
Position:
Little bit of everything

Rep Power: 58 SomeGuy748 will become famous soon enoughSomeGuy748 will become famous soon enoughSomeGuy748 will become famous soon enoughSomeGuy748 will become famous soon enoughSomeGuy748 will become famous soon enoughSomeGuy748 will become famous soon enough

There should be a brown wire twisted up with each colored wire if you are using the output wires or a colored wire with a brown stripe. Be carefull, the smaller wires coming out of that amp may not play full range. The BMW amp has specific channels for all the speakers and they are filtered outputs. The browns should never be power in that car.

Legal disclaimer... this is my own personal opinion that I have made from my own personal experience and based on my own personal tastes. At no time have I implied that anyone is wrong in their own opinions and you need to make a decision based on your own opinions.
SomeGuy748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

12V Company:
Dynamic Mobile Audio
Position:
Owner/Installer

The big thick brown wire is ground. So should I just wire them and see if it is full range or not? What would be the next step if they are not full range? Also if I do not need the mtx re-q for bass and just use a LOC than how will the bass adjust with the music. The reason I say this is the JL "from what I understand" you have to use there volume knob once installed.
Old 03-07-2010   #12

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 60 DynaudioNut will become famous soon enoughDynaudioNut will become famous soon enoughDynaudioNut will become famous soon enoughDynaudioNut will become famous soon enoughDynaudioNut will become famous soon enoughDynaudioNut will become famous soon enough

Best advice. Trust me on this one, by pass all that junk and run your own wires. go active and enjoy your music. Too many things can go wrong when messing with factory wiring.
DynaudioNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Regular

12V Company:
Dynamic Mobile Audio
Position:
Owner/Installer

Oh I was doing that already. Using the stock wiring for powering speakers with 110 watts would be stupid. The owner wants the stock hed unit so that will have to stay.

Last edited by bigaudiofanatic; 03-07-2010 at 06:07 PM..