LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2010   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 fotoflojoe will become famous soon enoughfotoflojoe will become famous soon enoughfotoflojoe will become famous soon enoughfotoflojoe will become famous soon enoughfotoflojoe will become famous soon enoughfotoflojoe will become famous soon enough

Default Calculating Speaker displacement

I'm building a box for an a/d/s/ 310px (first box build). Manual recommends a 1.0 cubic foot sealed enclosure. However, the manual doesn't give a spec for the driver's displacement. Could it be that you're supposed to build a 1.0 cubic foot box, install the speaker, and the airspace left over is what the driver wants. Yeah, I doubt it too.

Is there any method/rule of thumb for calculating speaker displacement?
Or: does anyone happen to know what the displacement of the 310px is?

BCAE says to wrap the speaker in plastic, dunk it in a full bucket of water. Whatever it takes to refill the bucket is your displacement figure.
Can't bring myself to dunk a $500 speaker in water!

Thanks!
fotoflojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Banned

Rep Power: 0 Oliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Calculating Speaker displacement

.5 will be close enough for a sealed box

here is a random 10" driver = Displacement – 0.12 cu. ft. ...

Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010   #3

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 67 bsvrs will become famous soon enoughbsvrs will become famous soon enoughbsvrs will become famous soon enoughbsvrs will become famous soon enoughbsvrs will become famous soon enoughbsvrs will become famous soon enough

Juding from pictures I would say the displacement is around .08-.12 cuft.. Probably not enough to make a difference. If you're really worried about it just stuff the box with polyfill and that will make up for it.
bsvrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 860 fourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond repute

Building a sealed box a little big or a little small won't do much to it. Nice sub, I don't blame you for not wanting to dunk it. I think if you were talking about a ported box, you might have to go through such drama. Not so in this case. I'd just build the box a little big (or a lot bigger) and enjoy the lower F3 you'll get as a result. Poly too.

2013 Ford Flex SEL AWD, JBL MS-8 processor, Vibe U.K. Slick Stereo 4 and Bass 1 amps, Exile Xtec subs in spare tire well enclosure, Dayton RS 225-4 midbass in doors, RS 75 mids and ND20FB tweets in custom A-pillars, Dayton RS 125-4 and ND20FB tweet in center, custom passive crossovers.
fourthmeal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010   #5

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 fotoflojoe will become famous soon enoughfotoflojoe will become famous soon enoughfotoflojoe will become famous soon enoughfotoflojoe will become famous soon enoughfotoflojoe will become famous soon enoughfotoflojoe will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the replies.

Being new-ish at this stuff, I guess that was my main concern: whether it's critical to hit these volume specs right on the mark, or if there's a bit of latitude to play with. I guess there's more latitude than I thought.
Old 03-09-2010   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 860 fourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond repute

The more complicated the box (ie. ported and bandpass), the more critical. Sealed boxes are just slightly less complicated than an IB install. enjoy going slightly larger than stock (or measure the T/S params and verify what box size you REALLY want) and enjoy.

2013 Ford Flex SEL AWD, JBL MS-8 processor, Vibe U.K. Slick Stereo 4 and Bass 1 amps, Exile Xtec subs in spare tire well enclosure, Dayton RS 225-4 midbass in doors, RS 75 mids and ND20FB tweets in custom A-pillars, Dayton RS 125-4 and ND20FB tweet in center, custom passive crossovers.
Old 03-10-2010   #7

DIYMA freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthmeal View Post
The more complicated the box (ie. ported and bandpass), the more critical. Sealed boxes are just slightly less complicated than an IB install. enjoy going slightly larger than stock (or measure the T/S params and verify what box size you REALLY want) and enjoy.
Pardon my ignorance; what is an IB install?

Thanks
Old 03-10-2010   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Infinite Baffle. IE, separation of back wave from front, but no box.

Old 03-10-2010   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Basic Car Audio Electronics learn it, live it, love it.

Old 03-10-2010   #10

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 GO 31 will become famous soon enoughGO 31 will become famous soon enoughGO 31 will become famous soon enoughGO 31 will become famous soon enoughGO 31 will become famous soon enoughGO 31 will become famous soon enough

For what it's worth, I once making a box once, and like your case, the manufacturer only included box size and not driver displacement. I contacted product support, and they told me the box specs took driver displacement into consideration.
GO 31 is offline   Reply With Quote