LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2010   #1

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 slaya will become famous soon enoughslaya will become famous soon enoughslaya will become famous soon enoughslaya will become famous soon enoughslaya will become famous soon enoughslaya will become famous soon enough

Default Hook up 4 speakrs on a 2ch amp?

Hey, so i'm a little confused on how I should go about this situation.

I've got a 99 dakota single cab, it has 6.5" stock speakers in the front, and stock 5.25" speakers behind the seats.

I'm looking to get nice sound quality, but i'd sacrifice a little sound quality for some extra db's. But considering my tight budget you can consider me an average bob when it comes to this, i don't really care "as long as it sounds good" kinda thing.

The amp I am using is a Cadence z800-c amp, it's specs are (I already own this amp):
Cadence Z800-C
Ultradrive "Z"
2 x 150W @ 4 ohms
2 x 225W @ 2 ohms
1 x 450W @ 4 ohms bridged
THD: 0.044%
S/N Ratio: >100dB
Freq. response: 10Hz - 40kHz
Damping Factor: >200
Fuse: 2 x 25A
Dimensions: 10" x 10" x

I'm debating 2 options..

Option A:
Cadence CWM-6 KIT components in the front getting 150x2
Nothing in the rear

Option B:
Cadence CWM-6 KIT components in the front
Phoenix Gold rsd 5.25 coaxials in the rear

Power in parallel to the cadence amp.

Now, if I was to do this, should I Wire the 2 left speakears to one channel, and the 2 right speakrs to one channel. Meaning there would be a Cadence and PG driver on a single channel

OR

Wire the fronts to one channel, and the rears to another chnanel. So 2 PG's on one channel and 2 Cadence to one channel.

Haven't bought any speakears yet, already own the amp though.

If I did option B, obviously 2 4ohm would turn out to be 2x2ohm speakers. I know the amp is stable at 2ohms, but will these speakers be able to survive at 2ohms each? Also, I know the cadence speakers can hanndle 100+ rms easily but what about the pg's?

What are your thoughts guys?

thanks
slaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010   #2

DIYMA freshman

12V Company:
Audio Extreme
Position:
Installer

Rep Power: 57 craracer05 will become famous soon enoughcraracer05 will become famous soon enoughcraracer05 will become famous soon enoughcraracer05 will become famous soon enoughcraracer05 will become famous soon enoughcraracer05 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Hook up 4 speakrs on a 2ch amp?

I would say run it the way you said first with left speakers on left and right on right . I've done it before if your on a budget and that way you'll have balance just no fader. Power ahdndling should be fine as long as your not distorting the speakers.
craracer05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010   #3

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 67 TEARfromRED will become famous soon enoughTEARfromRED will become famous soon enoughTEARfromRED will become famous soon enoughTEARfromRED will become famous soon enoughTEARfromRED will become famous soon enoughTEARfromRED will become famous soon enough

skip the rear fill and do the first option
TEARfromRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 159 sqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the rough

Or just grab a 2x60-100 w amp off epay for $40 or whatever, and run the rears with that. Or check the local pawn shop/craigs list/etc. (or check the for sale here)

If you had to parallel them you can cheat and put some big resistors on the rears to cut their volume down compared to the fronts if you want. Having the rears or not is up to you.

Pioneer 880PRS~boston comps/alpine coax on Kappa 4 Z~back to Alpine mrd-m500 v12 on pyle 15s IB
sqshoestring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010   #5

DIYMA freshman

Rep Power: 0 slaya will become famous soon enoughslaya will become famous soon enoughslaya will become famous soon enoughslaya will become famous soon enoughslaya will become famous soon enoughslaya will become famous soon enough

well actually, if I wanted to Power the rears of a seperate amp, I have amps to do so. Just that I am very limited on space. It's a single cab, and my work truck. So the little space I have I'd like to keep to throw my ratchet straps, glove's, ect without having amps all over the place.

In addition im on a limited budget so buying a new amp wouldn't be my first choice.

If this could be done safely and nicely, i'd like to keep this method. But, if there is relevant danger in doing so, then, i'd look to other options.

Resistors to the back, good idea I will look into that.

Any other opinions on running this amp with the 2 left speakers on one channel and the 2 right speakers on one channel.
Old 06-25-2010   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

Rep Power: 159 sqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the roughsqshoestring is a jewel in the rough

I've run amps that way many times, just parallel the front and rear of each side if the amp will do 2 ohms and you have all 4 ohms speakers/comps. I used those white square resistors, I forget the value I'd have to dig for them but a few ohms is all depending on what you need. Or you can buy some L pads/stereo lpad.

Pioneer 880PRS~boston comps/alpine coax on Kappa 4 Z~back to Alpine mrd-m500 v12 on pyle 15s IB
Old 06-26-2010   #7

DIYMA freshman

I'm assuming the resistors would be put as to not blow the rear speakers (considering their lower wattage rating)?

Or to lower their volume?

Either way, would that lower the impendance of the speaker. because in parallal the speakers would be running at 2ohm right? and then adding a resistor, would that show a 1ohm resistance?

I'm a little confused on how the resistors would work inline with the speakers.. either way, if you all say its safe can someone tell me what resistor i would need so I can order em up.
Old 06-26-2010   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

DIYMA Addict

I can dig around for them, they are square white ceramic radio shack has them as well. I had a couple different ones. Just put them in line with the rears, they might mess up the response a little but with rears not like it matters I never had a problem with it...and bought speakers use the same thing. Yes to lower power, fade to front, whatever reason you want. The non inductive are not supposed to cut highs like regular ones. An inductor is wound Wire you put on a sub or mid to cut highs, these resistors have wound Wire in them that is how they are made.

The Power rating is constant, so if you played a sine wave constantly more than that Power could melt the resistor, so 20w will handle much more in music use say 100w or something. I let them hang in free air or outward in case they did get hot but never had a problem. I ran a lot of 2x75 at 12v amps so maybe 125/ch cea. Of course you don't use them on subs.

Here is one
8-Ohm Non-Inductive Resistor - RadioShack.com

Seems like 8 ohm would be too much, that would make a 4 ohm Speaker into a 12 ohm that is how it quiets it down. It resists, so the power goes to your 4 ohm in the front instead or part of it does. The amp would see a little higher resistance than the 2 ohm (4 and 4 parallel, in front and rear equals 2 total) you have it wired to. You will have to change them more ohms for quieter, less ohms louder, zero ohms is what you have now with your Speaker wire. On the other hand an 8 ohm speaker in your Car does not play that much quieter than a 4 ohm one....just have to try some different values but they are pretty cheap. Maybe if you dig around you can find some info showing what you need or how many ohms will give a X dB reduction or something...guess I would start with these. I'll try to look around here tomorrow.